Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gtkor posted:

Let them make money off their image rights. Schools start streaming non-rev sports on a cord cutting package for like 10 bucks a month targeting all the alumni.

So the Olympic model for most athletes outside of the team sports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think as part of a wider approach yeah. I imagine the school specific streaming probably helps quite a bit with the larger schools, assuming they don't cannibalize other content.

I'd imagine Alabama fans for instance, would pay no problem, assuming you get the occasional pop-in from like Nick Saban.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

gtkor posted:

Let them make money off their image rights. Schools start streaming non-rev sports on a cord cutting package for like 10 bucks a month targeting all the alumni.

The non-rev sports rights are already tied up in the conference networks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ed O' Bannon wrote a book about the whole issue and gave an interview on Tim & Sid (one of Canada's most popular sports shows, and a rare case of a duo sportstalk show not being dogshit) talking about it, they even discussed the idea of athletes refusing to play as a protest.

I'm glad this conversation is happening, and that at least some in the media are on the athletes' side.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously it doesn't solve the biggest problems but I asked earlier and it wasn't answered: do scholarships still have stupid loving limitations on stuff like how much food athletes can eat before its an impermissible benefit and whatnot?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

GobiasIndustries posted:

Obviously it doesn't solve the biggest problems but I asked earlier and it wasn't answered: do scholarships still have stupid loving limitations on stuff like how much food athletes can eat before its an impermissible benefit and whatnot?

Yeah, they only get so much money to spend on food and if anyone buys them more, it is a violation.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
They bumped it up slightly after that guy complained at the Final Four about "yeah sometimes we go to bed hungry"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, it's not so much not being paid that pisses me off but all the stipulation with full ride scholarships. Give the players the full ride, plus let them work a job in the off-season if they want, make money off their likeness, allow outside donations so they can have extra money, etc.

I mean, pay them too but this is the majority of the issues I'm seeing.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
$1,000 a month x 85 scholarship football players = just a hair over $1,000,000 a year per team.

There are roughly 250 total football programs between FBS and FCS.

ESPN is paying about $470 million per year just for the three games of the football playoffs.

The current CBS/Turner TV deal for just the men's basketball tournament is $1.1 billion a year.

It's pretty easy to get caught up in the abstract of "sports make lots of money, pay the players" and forget just how absurd the amounts are. $1,000 a month for players lets them maybe lease a car, or fly home if a relative dies, or fly their parents out for Senior Day, or send some money home so their little brother or sister can buy school clothes, or any one of hundreds of basic things.

How do you pay them? I dunno, how about dip into that giant Scrooge McDuck vault of $1.5 billion a year from just those two postseason events and mail them a check once a month.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

kayakyakr posted:

Some players are paid below market value if they are drafted lower than their ability, could fix that by adding standard performance-based incentives to all slots.

The issue is the rookie salary scale. For top players, it is significantly below market. And, thus, all the Moneyball strategies that rely on drafted players.

kayakyakr posted:

NFL has a union to negotiate on the players behalf which really changes all of the rules about how one should feel about their pay.

Unfortunately, the union represents current players, not future players. And de facto tends to be dominated by the top talent (i.e., players who will be in the league more than one or two years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

skaboomizzy posted:

$1,000 a month x 85 scholarship football players = just a hair over $1,000,000 a year per team.

There are roughly 250 total football programs between FBS and FCS.

Arguably, that just broadens who is benefiting from the abuse. The top talent produces most of the potential value. :edit: But it's a better situation than the current one :edit:

Athletes are in a brutal business. Unlike most occupations, teams can't substitute 3 average employees for 1 highly productive employee. Particularly in basketball.

• Locked thread