Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Spoon!

Arthur, your face! He's discovered your weakness!

The Tick is back in town. The second half of the first season dropped a couple weeks ago, so hopefully everybody is remembering about it as they read this post.

There's a lot to unpack, really. But, we don't have to do it all at once.

I love that they worked in the ol' "Spoon" reference, as well as sneaking in a "Not in the face!"-type callback to the cartoon.

And the shape of the escape pod was a stroke of genius.

So... thoughts?

I loved it. The pace was brisk but not rushed, and we get a little more backstory here and there for some of the characters. But mainly, our heroes must thwart the stupidest plan Arthur's ever heard of, a plan so insanely impractical that it inspires the line "Mad science begins where physics ends!".

I even heard one of the characters say the word "superscience" at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised how solid this was throughout. Serafinowicz seemed amazingly suited to the role, Arthur managed to not be just a bumbling counterpart that the cartoon and initial series painted him as, the actress playing his sister was great and didn't really ever fall into any damsel in distress situations, and Overkill/Straight Shooter actually developed while never stopping being a dick.

I think the most unexpected part of the series was how Jackie Earle Haley played 'The Terror'; he managed to be menacing and funny to get affect as he just approached villainy in his own scatterbrain way. I always remember in the comics that The Terror's main character quirk was evil genius but he's super old and old people are funny. Here's he a loon that just goes with whatever comes to mind and does it while scaring the poo poo out of people cause he's an rear end in a top hat. Lint on the other hand was a little harder to pin down and the writers sometimes seemed like they didn't know what to do with her. In the end, she just seemed to want to endlessly be a petty criminal pulling off a heist or a scheme?

I also like that they never really kept things too dark outside of the pilot (where the Flag Five all get syphilis and die); it seems like too common an idea with comic writers like Ennis or Mark Millar to go unnecessarily edgy and shove in rape and baby murder whenever they can. Just glad this didn't stoop to that nonsense; I mean, hell, even Overkill stopped killing at the end...and he just kept to putting people into comas.

Finally, was the head that Tinfoil Kevin was living....was that a reference to something else? I feel like it reminded me of Atomic Robo or Rusty the Boy Robot for some reason and I really feel like I had seen it somewhere before.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

discworld is all I read posted:

Finally, was the head that Tinfoil Kevin was living....was that a reference to something else? I feel like it reminded me of Atomic Robo or Rusty the Boy Robot for some reason and I really feel like I had seen it somewhere before.

He's not a reference to anything I'm aware of.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I watched the second half yesterday and I really like how it turned out. I've seen a few episodes of the cartoon on Fox Kids in the 90s, I did watch the live action version it was so long ago I really remember much of it, and I never read any of the comics so I have no idea what season 2 might be like. I love the tone of it, not too mean but also not so light that it feels like there are no stakes at all. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here, they introduced some stuff near the end that will go interesting places.

But I think amazon made a big mistake splitting the season like they did, it killed all of the momentum surrounding the show. Look at this thread, the episodes have been out for a number of weeks so far and no one is talking about them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
That, and they released the second half of the season on the easy-to-remember milestone date of February 23rd. That's not so bad, though, seeing as how they spent so much money promoting it that anyone who constantly and proactively reads those periodic "Here's when Amazon's new shows are being released" articles would have probably noticed the announcement.

I thought they moved forward with the characters fairly well. Overkill was nicely developed, as was Dot, who in previous incarnations of the franchise has existed solely to remind the audience that Arthur is just a regular guy in a bunny moth outfit, and you can totally tell because here's his sister, the regularrest woman in the world.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

the secret ingredient :piss:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheTickTV/status/993984669480710144

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I wonder if they'll hand-wave this like they did when the suit changed between the pilot and the episode that followed it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

tarlibone posted:

I wonder if they'll hand-wave this like they did when the suit changed between the pilot and the episode that followed it.

That was a work of art.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Just finished the series. I liked it a lot. Excellent villain, humor, and well cast. I liked how the Terror never accounts for the Tick when plotting.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wasn't feeling this show until the talking dog showed up, then it felt like a real The Tick thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

I wasn't feeling this show until the talking dog showed up, then it felt like a real The Tick thing.

They should have named him Speak, because that's what he does.

• Locked thread