Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think I have a Cobra IV from a giveaway long ago... from what I've read it would be a reasonable upgrade from my Adder in that it would have way more cargo space (I mostly do delivery missions) but also more weapons for the minor fighting I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Nosthula posted:

I could use some advice on a ship and fitting. I've mostly done trading and exploration but I would like to get into some combat. I really don't care what kind of combat I just want to see things blow up. I was initially thinking of just going into belts and blowing ships up. I've ground out Duke rank with the Empire and have Midshipman with Federation. I also have 800m credits to my name thanks to Robigo passenger missions. I hit elite in exploration and have made my way to Jameson Memorial for the sweet 12.25% discount. I'm totally stuck on what to fly at this moment and really no clue how to fit for combat. The only thing I have unlocked with Engineers is Felicity Farseer.

Start with a Vulture with two large multicannons and use some power management to fit a good shield on it. You’ll never enjoy combat more than in that little nimble extremely deadly ship.

Afterwards, if you want to sink your capital in the Anaconda it is extremely good for combat. You can keep working on slowly engineering the pieces and parts as long as you like. It can also be quickly refitted to reach out to 70ly jump range, move tons of passengers, or fight thargoid interceptors.

If you’re enjoying stuff blowing up, please do yourself a solid and pick a ship with a huge hardpoint and a fighter. There’s something to be said for the feeling of a huge multicannon tearing open a ship. These ships give you a few options, which are all good choices. Sans-huge, the FAS and Krait sport fighters but no huge hard points and will wreck face for days.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
thargoid -> far god? :v:

great writeup btw, thanks for that

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks for the input. I'll snag up a vulture as suggested. Really appreciate it Blind Rasputin and El Perkele.

Edit: If i'm going for combat what would be the next engineer to go for after Felicity?

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 11, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Vulture is great and I think I'm on the right track with it, thanks everyone. I didn't know that you can unfuck gimballed weapons just by unlocking; too bad there isn't a key to turn off the tracking.

edit: fixed typos

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 11, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm also enjoying launching in a fighter from my Keelback. I've been using the Taipan with plasma repeaters and chaff. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to kit out something bigger if I just like being in the fighter.

Nosthula posted:

Thanks for the input. I'll snag up a vulture as suggested. Really appreciate it Blind Rasputin and El Perkele.

Edit: If i'm going for combat what would be the next engineer to go for after Felicity?

The Dweller for power distributor upgrades (must have) and lasers if you're into those. Also Tod "The Blaster" McQuinn for multi-cannons if you like those.

They're both pretty easy to unlock and don't require anything stupid like 200 tons of gold. Also Felicity has a selection of really good upgrades so don't neglect her just because she's the easiest to unlock.

edit: I'm going to travel around buying and reselling single units of stuff until I unlock Lei Cheung because I want those shield generator and sensor upgrades, but trading at 50 different places isn't particularly trivial The 200 gold sucks but I can do that in two trips from a mining station with my Type 6.

edit 2: for The Dweller, I actually just picked up stolen goods that NPC pirates forced other NPCs to drop in combat zones and sold one unit each in 5 different black markets instead of bothering with smuggling for real. Getting caught with a few tons of stolen goods is a light fine and no other consequences too. They don't even order you to drop them!

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 11, 2018

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Skyarb posted:

Will this new update that is coming soon make mining fun? Or is frontier just using this update to yet again nerf payouts somehow.

it's a step in the right direction, but mneh

there's like three extra things to do aside from just pointing a laser at a big rock and going bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz while your gathering drones bang themselves to death against solid objects, but it's not a dolla dolla goldrush revolution

you can now use tools and things to snoop after specific minerals in planet rings instead of poking the nearest rocks and hoping the RNG deigns to throw some your way, that's about the biggest change

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nosthula posted:

Palin for DD5, although Feleicty will supply you with DD3 which is decent.

Otherwise, shields for some thermal resist, so either Lei Chung for grade 5, or Elvira or Didi for grade 3.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Was running around Dav's Hope when an Imp Clipper landed nearby.

Want. Want badly.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Does Robigo sell the passenger cabins to do the runs? I'd rather not carry all that weight 500ly.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

clone on the phone posted:

Does Robigo sell the passenger cabins to do the runs? I'd rather not carry all that weight 500ly.

There's a system nearby (Ceos I think) that sells cabins but not every version iirc

e: It should be no problem flying there in a stripped ship and just using cabins from ceos

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 11, 2018

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://eddb.io/station?i=1&r=23495 , put your module requests in the top right.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

There's a system nearby (Ceos I think) that sells cabins but not every version iirc

e: It should be no problem flying there in a stripped ship and just using cabins from ceos

Yeah looks like Ceos has the cabins for my Krait.

e: as predicted a cool 15 mil for the round trip to Sirius Atmospherics. Shouldn’t take long to bump up my rep for the higher paying tourists for a bigger payout.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 11, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Servers are down in 10 for the update, woo!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Servers are down in 10 for the update, woo!

i just maxed my rep with every faction at one station, and a bunch of neighboring factions, and got to elite in trading in the process. Now they all spawn tons of 5-10 million credit delivery missions to each other, and i stonedly accepted 20 missions last night. So i poopsocked it tonight and made 100+ million credits and turned in my last mission 5 minutes before the servers closed

:shepface:

i was planning on jumping out to some of my discovered earth likes so i can quickly get first-mapped on them after the patch drops, but i guess i'll be doing that later

can't wait to try all the new poo poo :woop:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

A thargoid cult. seemed interesting. The planet in question, Etain 4, was only three jumps from Shinrarta Dezhra. I loaded up my Type-10 and headed out.

Thanks for this post. I love it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

If you’re enjoying stuff blowing up, please do yourself a solid and pick a ship with a huge hardpoint and a fighter. There’s something to be said for the feeling of a huge multicannon tearing open a ship. These ships give you a few options, which are all good choices. Sans-huge, the FAS and Krait sport fighters but no huge hard points and will wreck face for days.
You're getting the FAS and the Federal Gunship mixed up.

The FAS is like El Perkele says, "a steroid Vulture mixed with a wrecking ball". It's a stupidly fun ship to throw around in combat.

If you're one of those people who's never flown one because on paper it's near identical to the Chieftain, the paper lies. It's easily the most manoeuvrable medium ship in the game, in fact it's one of the most manoeuvrable ships in the game period.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Which is better FAS or Chieftan? I have a FAS already that I use for Thargoid scouts and I like it but someone earlier said the Chieftan is like a FAS but better but it's hard to know from just looking at it in coriolis.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chieftain has better shields (class 6 vs class 5), better DPS and in Coriolis it even pitches ever so slightly faster.

Unlike most (all?) ships though the FAS gets almost no turn penalty outside the blue zone, so in real world situations it flies rings around pretty much everything in the game.

Don't get me wrong, the Chieftain is a good ship. The FAS is just better imo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm getting a Rift tomorrow and honestly one of the things I'm most looking forward to is walking around my cabin in Elite. Its the simple things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Happy patch day!

As a sendoff reminder:

1.) you are under no obligation to be someone else's content, combat log all day every day for maximum salt
2.) have fun its just a game!

• Locked thread