Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Steam link

You're a PC gamer, but not just ANY PC gamer. You can't stop browsing NewEgg. You have published your rig on PCPartsPicker, and have like three lists of theoretical PCs you wish you had the time and money to build. Your YouTube account is subscribed to Some Guy Who Looks Like Jesus, A Tall Gentleman Who Likes Custom Loops But Appears Half Asleep In Every Video, and That Irritating Whiny-Voiced Canadian as they pull apart and inspect hardware that costs more money than you make in a week. You have strong preferences between different branded AIO coolers, even though you know they all use the same Asetek mechanism inside. You look forward to news from Computex as much as you do E3.

You, my friend, are the target audience of PC Building Simulator, a game that painstakingly and lovingly renders your favorite icons of consumer consumption, with the licensed assistance of the various brands you have helped to enrich.

How do I know if this game is for me?
Does this image make you aroused?

If it doesn't, this game possibly isn't for you. Because probably 40% of the smiles from this game are just how lovingly the developers are implementing the hardware from the #BRANDS that will work with them. Check out how the little LED panel on the EVGA DG-88 case lights up just like you'd expect it to in real life, and you even boot up and run an amusing illusion of 3DMark to test your machine. If that dollhouse-like attention to detail isn't doing it for you, you're probably happier using computers than buying them. Go back to your Motorcycle Renovation Simulator.

BUT WAIT! Maybe you actually want to learn how to self-build a PC for yourself. Well, assuming you don't mind limiting yourself to the game's limited collection of suppliers, you might actually learn something!

On the other hand, if you're the kind of person with a clunker PC who is simply looking to upgrade, or who always wanted to own a tempered glass box full of LED blinking lights but couldn't bear the shame of it, here's your game!

So you just make computers?
Kind of. There's two modes: One is a wide open builder's mode where you can make the machines you like out of whatever parts you want. The other is a "career mode" where you run a PC shop and must put together and repair machines to customer specification, and figure out how to make a profit and stay in business.

Is the game out yet?
It will be released on March 27th, 2018. Which is less than two weeks from this post.

:science:I already spent too much money on PC equipment. Can I build my PC in VR?
The team is interested in VR support, but has no ETA for now.

What could go wrong?
Well, you could have bad thermals, and once they patch in overclocking they cou.... Oh, I see.

Obviously, some of the appeal of this game is tied up in cooperation with the companies that make PC components, and not all of them are likely to play ball with a small indie game developer. Though Intel doesn't appear to be directly involved, their processors (or at least their model numbers and a vague approximation of a stock cooler) appeared in a trailer. All the motherboards revealed so far, along with a "generic" motherboard that looks like an ASUS Z68, are all designed on Intel chipsets, so I hope your expectations haven't Ryzen too highly.

Anyway, I'm dumbly excited for this title because DDR4 is stupid expensive and this old Ivy Bridge is going to have to last me another year. Let's live out lives of consumerism we can no longer afford, and if you have any information worth having here :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This looks like a dumb but fun time waster if the price is right. That being said, what is the price?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
$20, I think you can get a couple bucks off if you pre-order on their site, but I have no experience with that.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I half expect they'll parody hardware manufacturers that don't participate and give them permission for what amounts to free advertising...

Entel(tm) PEEtenium 4... etc
AyeZeus
RyeZeen

It would be retarded for them to deny a virtual representation of their products as long as the devs jump through the licensing hoops.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 17, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Where is the "Buy a Mac" button!!!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They've added Arctic air coolers and case fans, as well as Team Group memory.

Wheeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Jesus is Steve Burke right? The other two are obviously Jay and Linus.

• Locked thread