Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elm Hall Remedial School is a dump. At one point in the dim and distant past when Newark was considered a place people actually wanted to live it was a perfectly average and unspectacular public school. However as the local economy began to contract and funding dried up it was abandoned by the cities authorities. It's decrepit buildings were converted into a last chance remedial school for the kids who for one reason or another are considered too disruptive for a normal public school.

The staff arent fussy about who gets sent in - shoplifters, drug abusers, kids who have lost their way; they get paid either way. More than a few of its alumni are just children whose parents disapprove of their choices; homosexuals sent to get scared straight, for instance.

Either way it's not the kind of school you'd go to if you had any choice in the matter. The teachers are uninterested at best and downright sadistic at worst, the facilities are crumbling, in some cases literally and the student body is assumed to be on it's worst behaviour at all times. Otherwise why would they be here. It's not the sort of place you'd want to be unless you were insane, damaged or some kind of monster.

Guess which category you fit in...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What Is This:

Most of you probably know the drill by now but for those who don't; This is a Monsterhearts 2.0 game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus youre a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. Its pretty easy to pick up if youve played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, or even if you havent, so dont feel worried about joining up as a newbie.

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here. Once youve posted this, Ill ask some questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks. I'm looking for six applicants. Feel free to make your description as long or short (within reason) as you want.

Submissions will probably be open for a week, closing at 22:00 GMT on the 24th March 2018 , Although I reserve the right to close them sooner or later depending on the interest we do or don't get.

When making a character, keep in mind the setting and tone; if you want to make a squeaky clean, straight-laced, straight-A student, thats fine, but they should probably have a good reason as to why theyre being sent to a shithole like Elm Hall.

All the core and second skins are allowed I'm also willing to allow the Chosen if people want it. Although fair warning I am not a fan of the Heir so anyone using it will have to come up with a really good character before I'll consider it.

In addition to the usual stuff in your app, give me:

1. Why were you sent to Elm Hall in the first place?
2. You've already made an enemy of one of the students/staff members here. Who was it and what did you do to piss them off?
3. Tell me about an interesting place in the local area/school grounds.
4. Tell me about a rumor going around the school.
5. (optional) Give me a thread title that isn't terrible.

I wont require reference pictures, but they'd definitely help me remember your character.

General Considerations:

Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (teen sexuality, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. Its important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic.

If you need to get a hold of me, you can contact me in this thread or PM me. Im also frequently online in the Monsterhearts discord channel Here

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Ivy Rana, The Sasquatch

...Hey. Hey! I've been trying to get your attention for like fifteen minutes. I know I'm easy to miss, but that's kinda ridiculous. Well... whatever. I'm used to it. You wanted to talk about me, right? I guess that's fine. Chances are you aren't going to remember anyway. Nobody seems to. I'm the kid that never gets picked in gym, the hand that never gets answered in class, the person that might as well not exist.

Well... okay. That's not entirely right. There's something else. I, uh, I... smell... not great. I mean, I don't think it's that bad. It's like perfume, alright? Just... really, really strong. Like citrus and musk and flowers, all sorts of things that you think would go well together, but don't... I guess. It's hard to tell sometimes. I got teased for it for a long time, y'know, and... I don't know. Maybe that made me get real good at not getting noticed.

Now I'm here, at loving Elm Hall, and I'm not sure what's worse. Being ignored or getting some... attention... from the creeps in class.

Part of me wants it, even just getting teased again, because goddamn. I'm lonely. I'm so loving lonely. But the other part knows... when I slip, when I get noticed, it hurts even worse to have that knife stuck in my back.

quote:

...Chronic truancy. I've never missed a day of school in my life, but try explaining that to the admin when you never get marked present in homeroom. Not even my parents believed me! Hell, I think they just kind of forgot about me until the cops came asking around. I know I've got a big family, I know the middle kid gets lost in the shuffle, but that's not normal... right?

quote:

2. You've already made an enemy of one of the students/staff members here. Who was it and what did you do to piss them off?

So the gym teacher, Mr. Hopson, already hates me. The first day of class he just... made us run laps. All period. It was dead hot outside and, uhm, I already sweat pretty easily. By the end of the period, I was drenched. I mean, I showered off and changed and everything and... well, there's nowhere to do laundry. So I stuffed my gym clothes in my locker and left them there. Next thing you know I'm getting pulled into the office to explain why the entire girls locker room smells like me. Which... wow, that's an awkward conversation to have. And, uh, I don't like the way he was looking at me either.

What the hell can I say? 'Sorry you made me participate?' It's not like I have a doctor's note excusing me from gym, and it's sure as hell not going to get honored if I did. The only only thing worse than the kids around here are the loving teachers.

quote:

There's this busted up greenhouse out behind the main school building. It's not exactly a popular spot, or super obvious, but it's... nice. It's kind of overgrown, just all sorts of random plants in there, but I dunno. Something about it just sucks so much less than the rest of this place. Sometimes I slip out of class and just come out here to think. It's not like anyone's going to notice, right?

quote:

A rumor, huh? I guess I do hear a lot. People tend to miss me, so they don't even think that they might be talking where someone is going to hear them. Most of it is pretty tedious poo poo, honestly, but I suppose there are some pretty choice tidbits. If you ask me, the most interesting thing is that there's this secret group of students that meets at school at night. I hear bits and pieces, nothing really firm, but it's supposed to be like a... I don't know, secret society? A brotherhood or something? I wonder what the hell they do when the school's empty.

quote:

[MH2] Another Brick in The Wall

The Sasquatch posted:

Name: Ivy Rana
Look: Sweet
Eyes: Forgettable Eyes
Origin: No Family Photos

Stats:
Hot -1
Cold +1
Volatile -1
Dark +2

Moves:
☒ Musk
You have a distinct smell. Powerful. Perhaps intriguing. When you break a sweat near others, the MC tells you which person is aroused and gives you a String on them. That person chooses a reaction below.
+ I give you a compliment,
+ I give myself to you,
+ My eyes water and I gag,
+ Im also repulsed, so I ridicule you about your body and give you a Condition.

☒ Unnoticeable
You can fade from view and become invisible. If you want to cover your scent as well, try to Keep Your Cool. On a 7 or higher, in addition to other results, your scent is hidden for a while.

☒ Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options to Pulling Strings:
they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment, suffering 1 Harm if appropriate,
add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance.

Sex Move:
Whoever you have sex with smells like you afterward. If they face their peers before scrubbing it off, they mark experience.

Darkest Self:
Now, right now, its time to rain stones down upon the bullies and the excluders. Its time to wreck their precious stuff, to shove them back so hard that theyll never even dream of messing with you or anyone ever, ever again. You escape your Darkest Self when you hurt one of those people more than theyve ever hurt anyone else... and more than you meant to.

Backstory:
+ Youve been a wallflower all your life, but someone finally noticed you. Give them a String.
+ Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you gain 2 Strings on them.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 2, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ming Fan, the Neighbor

Things were going well for a while. My parents weren't always around, but I figured they were pretty cool you know? There were occasional comments about how I should act or about my interests not being "appropriate," but I figured part of that was them being older. And so when I began to feel that things were wrong with me, when I felt unhappy with myself, when I began to pick more feminine clothing, when I started looking online and realised what was up...I thought they'd be fine with it. Or at least not care.

gently caress, was I ever wrong.

It didn't start off great, with them not understanding what I was saying at first. Then they did and we got into an argument that ended with us yelling at each other. Not only did they think it was "wrong," but they tried to bring up what friends and family would think. My response of "I don't give a gently caress if they have a problem" didn't sit well with them.

Now I'm here, just trying to get by. But I'm not going to let them win. I don't care if I have to spend the next 4 years here in this dump, I'm going to get out and make it on my own. gently caress them. gently caress the world if it has a problem with me.

I'll never give up.

quote:

Look: Femme, sunny eyes

Origin: Latchkey kid

Stats

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Moves

Lucky I Guess

When you remain oblivious to troubling or supernatural occurrences, take 1 Forward.

Spooked

When you run into someones arms, they choose:
+ you mark experience,
+ they become their Darkest Self.

Nap Fan
As soon as you fall asleep somewhere, choose two for the MC to detail when you wake:
+ something was left for you,
+ someones there,
+ someones been trying to contact you,
+ somethings been broken,
+ you had a nice dream.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, tell them something you dont want them to know.

Darkest Self

You feel... you feel like a monster. What kind of monster do you feel like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost, a queen... it can be anything you can think of. Tell the MC, and theyll hand you that Skin or the closest thing to it. It can be different each time. Read their Darkest Self: you are drowning in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body isnt supernatural, but youre gonna take it right to the line. You become that Darkest Self.

Your Backstory

You live next to someone; your bedroom windows face each other. You leave your blinds up. Each gain 2 Strings on one another.

You made out with someone a while ago. Gain a String on them and give them 2 Strings on you.

quote:

Why were you sent to Elm Hall in the first place?

They want to have a son. They're hoping I "change my mind" or whatever. Not happening.

quote:

You've already made an enemy of one of the students/staff members here. Who was it and what did you do to piss them off?

Guy Chance is a stupid prick, and he tried picking a fight with me. So I punched him in the gut and he just fell over gasping and couldn't get up - right in front of everyone else. Pretty much humiliated him in front of his friends. He hasn't forgotten it...but I'm not really too worried about him honestly.

quote:

Tell me about an interesting place in the local area/school grounds.

Wonderscore Arcade is pretty close to Elm Hall. In addition to a few arcade games, they've got a bunch of other stuff like air hockey tables and a pinball machine. Still have the highest score there. Food's good too. And it's the couple that runs it are two women, so it's kind of become the hangout for the queer kids of Elm Hall.

quote:

Tell me about a rumor going around the school.

The English teacher Ms. Samson is real young and seems to be a little too qualified for school. I've heard she's actually using her job here to sell drugs, although I haven't confirmed that yet. I wonder if I could get some weed from her, but what if it's not true? Way too loving awkward of a situation.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 22, 2018

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
David Andrews

I'm not crazy. Really. I promise.

Ok, so there's a voice in my head I talk to. But i'm not crazy. Barbatos, Barb, isn't just some figment of my imagination, the product of childhood trauma, or like a neurosis. He's very real, and he knows things. Dark and terrible secrets. Like the whole thing with Jimmy being gay. Or that Mr Haversham is actually sleeping with one of his students... and when I really need it, in a pinch, he can come through. Like when those three members of the football team were beating on me for "being a fag", (I'm not, its not my fault I'm uh... delicate looking), and I asked him for help, and somehow I found a switchblade clutched in my grasp. I guess that's why I'm here at Elm Hall Remedial, instead of Juvie, I had "cause", it was "self-defense". I mean I get why I'm being punished, I guess, can't have a stabbing in a perfectly reputable public school, and not punish the guy who did it, even if I was more bruises than boy art the end of the "altercation"

I guess that's a lot to say all at once, so maybe I'll back up. Hi. I'm David, David Andrews. I'm... nobody really. No one gives a poo poo about me. I'm 5''7, kind of lanky, and people have always commented that my face is especially girly. Which is still embarrassing. I've always been made fun of and picked on. I guess its just my lot in life, being the weird kid in class who sits in the back and sometimes mumbles to himself. In middle school it was a little better I guess. we hadn't quite segregated into sports based cliques, so the fact that I have roughly the endurance of a wet noodle didn't matter too much. But as soon as I got into Highschool, things just kind of went to poo poo, the three or four people I spoke to regularly all stopped. Then the football team took an "interest" in me, and I, being the idiot I am, decided not to take it lying down. That would have been the smart thing, but I guess I have too much fight in me. So I fought back how I could, with Barb helping me out, it wasn't too difficult to find their insecurities, their best kept secrets and make them pay. Sure sucks when everyone know's you're actually the fag, huh Jimmy? Of course it was a losing fight. There were more of them, and my fighting back only made them smack me down harder... still, between that and letting the "friendly ribbing" go on, because "boys will be boys", I'll take what happened any day. You know what's really lovely? The lovely counselor I was assigned tells me its ok to feel guilty about the stabbing, but I really don't. They had it coming.

I guess I've sort of danced around the elephant in the room... Barb. Barb is, he claims, a being from "Another place". I think he's always been there, although my earliest memory of him is from when my grandfather Earl died. He was basically my surrogate dad, ever since that bastard walked out on my mom. Grandpa was... he was the best. We were driving to school, when the accident happened. I don't... I don't really wanna talk about it. I was very sad for a while. But then I started hearing this voice, Barb, who promised me we could do great things together. I told my mom of course, so for a year I went in and out of various hospitals helping me deal with my "trauma". Eventually, once I'd verified Barb was legit, I just started lying. It was easier than dealing with trying to tell people and going in for another psychological evaluation.

What else? My only real family is my mom, she works as a nurse on the night shift, so I hardly see her, and during they day she always has a new boyfriend over. As long as I do ok in school, she just lets me be. She loves me of course, but she's barely ever there, and the house is depressing, so I spend a significant amount of time after school hanging out around town. The library, the skate park, different places depending on my mood. Now of course after the stabbing i have a curfew, and my mom was trying to "get more involved", but like everything else, it's sort of gone back to normal. Mom is just too busy to care.

I guess this is a good time to mention hobbies? I'm kind of mercurial, i've tried a lot of different poo poo. For a while it was books, read a lot. Then it was skating, I got fairly good at it, but sort of lost interest. Now its art. I've been sketching for about... a year and a half? I'm kind of terrible, so I haven't let anyone look at my art, but I think i'm improving.

Honestly, I don't hate Elm. No really. The teachers are dicks or uninterested, but that's true everywhere. I mean i've made enemies, of course i have, but we're only just starting the term. Maybe for the first time in my lovely highschool career I'll actually make some friends. Everyone is weird here, I won't stand out as much. That's all I want really, some people I can hang out with, without being a loving pariah. Maybe... maybe even a girlfriend?

I stabbed two kids in self defense. One bad enough he had to be hospitalized. I'm just lucky Elm Hall is the worst I got.

Hopson. Well, Mr. Hopson. He teaches gym, and apparently he can't stand "lanky, unmotivated" me. Something about how I skipped the first gym class because we were running the mile and gently caress that noise? I generally don't mind sports, I'm even decent at throwing balls, but I suck at running and just hate it. Well, apparently that's grounds for Hopson to hate my guts. What I didn't know before I skipped the class is that Hopson is a maniac, and half the student body is terrified of him. I'm sure this bodes well for the next year.

"Interesting" might be an overstatement. The library has a hidden attic. I know cause Barb helped me figure it out. Apparently its also where some students go to smoke weed, because the place reeks. I'm also fairly certain it gets used for other forms of "recreation", since it seems fairly soundproof. I'm not entirely sure why the library has an attic, since it has maybe twelve books, all of which are damaged? But it's there, and the librarian gives even less of a poo poo than the other teachers, which is pretty loving impressive.

Apparently, "everyone knows" that the Fallons, twin brothers, the biggest dealers in the school, the guys who can basically get whatever they want, are having a falling out over some chick, Clara. Supposedly they even had a fist fight on the roof, and were spending serious cash courting this girl. I dunno, seems kind of crazy, but I'm not a member of the "in" crowd.

quote:

Look: Quiet, venomous

Origin: chosen

Stats

Hot 1 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 2

Moves

Soul Debt
You owe a debt to a Dark Power. Name it, and choose two Bargains it has made with you. The Dark Power can gain Strings. If ever it has 5 Strings on you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Cant Save Myself
When somebody saves you from forces too powerful for you to reckon with, they mark experience, and you gain a String on them.

Bargains

Uncanny Voices
You can give the Dark Power a String in order to realize a secret about someone youre talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose which.)

Strings Attached
You can ask the Dark Power for something that you really, really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you pay the price, youll get what youre after.

Sex Move

When you have sex, the Dark Power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self

You find yourself shivering, needy, and alone. The Dark Power will make some daunting, open-ended demands. Every demand fulfilled brings you closer to feeling whole again, and removes one of the Dark Powers Strings on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the Dark Power is out of Strings, or you make a bargain with an even more dangerous entity

Your Backstory

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the Dark Power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 21, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
River Mayflower

"Singing, it's ironic really. But it was the singing that lured me to land. It's supposed to be the other way around, you know? But it wasn't I heard human music for the first time. and it was mind blowing. Huge! World changing! And my world is the ocean so, I know what I'm talking about! Because the ocean is HUGE!

What was I talking about? Oh, right. Well, I begged father, begged and begged and begged. Each time he would say no, and grow thunderous and bark with fury! (That's what you guys call the noise we make, right? Barking?) I'd swim up to the nearest rocks and sing my little heart out. I think something in my song convinced dad. He agreed. But it would be on his terms, and I'd have to abide by it no matter what!

I was so excited that I didn't realise what I was agreeing too... Now I'm here. Elm Hall Remedial School. I was excited at first. I thought it was a really nice place.... that... t-that didn't last long. The the only saving grace I've got is the river that leads back to the sea. It's so close, a tantalising path back home. To return in failure. Because that's just it. Dad sent me away from home and forbid me to return until I had... "graduated"? Yes, graduated. So I get to live in this awful place, the people here. They don't sing. They're just... sharks. All teeth and smiles. It's pretty unnerving. They're all so sure of themselves and all I want to do is turn right around and go home.

But I can't, can I? Because they took my pelt. They took a piece of me. They don't understand. They dangle it above my head like they would bacon to a crab. And if I go home without it... I don't know what father would do. So for now I'm stuck here! At the very least people like it when I sing, and no one shouts at me (unlike the rest of the time). Where is home? Oh, umm that big land thing on the left of your maps. What's it called? Amaraka? Well we live in the waters east of there. One of your boats sank some years back. We've made our home there, this wonderful kingdom deep beneath the waves that stretches for miles. Okay, there are other things down there as well that we steer clear of. But it's home, and every time I stand on that sand looking out I can feel it calling out to me. Sometimes it brings me things. Sometimes it takes things away. But I'm not going to back down. I'm going to do this graduation thing and go back and show my dad!

And if you hear someone crying in the bathtub it's not me, okay?"

quote:

I think Dad picked it because it's... umm, "A feted hell hole representing the lowest elements of the surface" which... that should have been a clue really. Dad walked me into the headmaster's office and threw those little gold things we decorate our ship with at him until he agreed to have me enrolled and skip the whole paperwork thing. I've never seen a human make that expression. Something between, this is the strangest day of my life, and the greatest day of my life. The Head's been giving me special treatment ever since. I think the other students have noticed. Someone's been.... saying really hurtful things.

quote:

I didn't mean too! I... I like to swim okay? And I was having a swim in the river, and this guy comes along and he's being all creepy, and he was scaring me so I pushed him into the river! I only did it so I could run away! And he's screaming at me that I'm dead and I don't know who he is, and then the next day he and a gang of six big guys steal my locker and dumps it in the river. No.... no one wants to help me get it back... How was I supposed to know he was on the football team! I don't even know what a football is! Does it taste good? If so why are they so interested in getting rid of it? But then when the other people have it, why are they trying to take it from them!? It makes no sense!

I just... I wish he'd leave me alone. I didn't want this. It's like being followed by a pod of Orcas.

His name? Ryan Rand. He's a star.... football eater... and a total jerk

But what's worse is that his girlfriend Chastity Peters, has convinced herself that I was trying to steal Ryan from her. And she's been the one cheer leading all of the horrible rumours against me. I didn't even know this girl before she started harassing me. She's on the cheer squad, and she's popular and fashionable and dumb as a bag of bricks. But she's hot, so most of the guys listen to whatever she says without thinking. Her social media pages have been nothing but begging for sympathy and fake drama about how awful I am.

Between the two of them I'm probably the most hated person in the whole world! It's so unfair!

quote:

The woods around the school are like, giant standing corral forests! They're amazing!! I mean, it's missing all the cool sunken stuff, but you know. It's unlike anything else I've seen. Plus there are all these pools and lakes that are just amazing to dive into. Plus, the peace and quiet is nice. I can sing as loud as I want and there's no one to yell at me or anything! There's one place that everyone talks about, it's this circle of stones, and there's a big one in the middle with this super smooth hole through the middle of it. There's apparently all kinds of stories about the place. But a lot of the kids go there... so I stay away. Even if I'm super super curious.

quote:

Other then I'm... umm, giving the headmaster favours? (I mean, Why would you ever say something like that? It's so awful!) there was this rumour that if you go into the woods on the full moon and stand in the old stone circle and throw a coin through the middle stone's hole, while reciting a nursery rhyme backwards, then a fairy will appear and grant you a wish! I mean, that sounds so cool! Are faries real? Someone thinks so. I kinda want to go and find out... maybe they'd help me get my pelt back? I mean.... I'd have to go near the other kids... but maybe... Ahh, I don't know what to do....

quote:

The real monsters here are the students.

quote:

Name: River Mayflower
Look: riveting, deep eyes
Origin: enticed from the sea by art,

Stats

Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1

Moves

Outer Skin
Wear your pelt to look like a seal, breathe underwater, and swim incredibly fast. While wearing it, you can choose to return to The Deep Kingdom. If you do its for good, so make a new character.

Keep Away
People can steal your pelt but cant destroy it. When you pursue a task the current holder asked of you, add 1 to rolls.

If the holder doesnt return your pelt after you complete the task, gain a String on them, and add 1 to rolls against them until they give you a new task.

Siren Song
When youre soaking wet, you can sing a haunting song. Those who can hear it give you their full attention. What additional effect does it have on them?
- They stumble entranced toward you (but stop before injuring themselves).
- They connect with its emotions and begin crying.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, it counts as submerging yourself in water. Since all oceans tell you their secrets, gain a String on someone else theyve had sex with.

Darkest Self

People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. Its time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your self stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts. You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Your Backstory

You watched someone swimming. Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your pelt, and theyve figured out how important it is to you. They said theyll give it back if you do something for them. Each gain a String on one another.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 22, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Gary Reynolds

What do you want?

Ugh, sorry. Bit on edge. Trying to get the temper down, but I'm not feeling well. Every time the stuff is wearing off it's like the anger is coming back three times as strong. gently caress!

Why couldn't I have a normal mom. I don't mind growing up in a trailer park. Can deal with that. But when you have a mom who sometimes comes in smelling of blood and breaking things, hurting dad and looking... not human, that's bad enough. What's worse is that she passed it down to me.

loving werewolves.

Dad always made excuses for her. 'Just the ways she is' 'I'm a big man, I can take it', 'she's a passionate woman'. Being a werewolf is constantly being angry, constantly feeling like people are disrespecting you, constantly feeling like they should shut up and let you take what you want and taking as an insult when they don't. Being a werewolf sucks. But mom reveled in it, and dad idolized it. The day when mom finally hosed up bad enough to get the law on her, the day she had to go on the lam, when I was 14, kinda thought it was the best day of my life.

Had CPS show up too. Happens when your mom is on the run for murder, and you've got a reputation for being a violent student. Put me on medication, got me some therapy. Forced. Dad couldn't get out of it.

Everyone talks poo poo about medication, but to me, it was like being able to breathe. I spend a whole month just enjoying all the chill I never managed. Yeah, my focus was a bit screwed and slept too much, but someone could get in the food line before me without me feeling I had to punch them.

Only lasted a month though. CPS didn't show again, and dad decided he didn't like what the pills did to me, so he didn't get them any more. So, I decided to get them myself. Oh, I can't get the official stuff. But I just... started asking around. None of the stuff was quite as good as the official stuff, but they did make me feel good too. Of course, you start dealing with that stuff, and there's a bunch of folks you have to deal with that are just pushing all my buttons. And of course, I grew older. Got my first full on transformations.

That was the one that got me caught. Some guy was selling to me, when I was really, REALLY needing it, and he figured he'd gouge me, and he disrespected me and I just god. drat. lost it. I wake up at hime. Apparently, he made it to a hospital. His story was hosed up enough that they didn't believe him, think he was high on his own supply. So I didn't get sent to Juvie. But I'd been low key involved in enough drug related fuckery that my old school, already kinda meh, decided they'd expel me. And it's not like my dad feels I should go to college anyway. He's waiting for mom to come back. So Elm Hall Remedial School here I come.

quote:

My dad doesn't want me to get a 'tame' profession, so it's not like he's any support, and after getting expelled for poo poo related to drugs and violence, it's not like I've got a ton of schools eager to take me.

quote:

Some straight edge punk called Mike. And I mean punk in the 'punk scene' kind of way Didn't even know they made those anymore, but well, I guess this is the kind of place they'd land. Let's just say I didn't really know what that X he keeps on his hand meant, and I chatted with him a bit, and he really took offense when he figured I was trying to find out if he knows someone who can help me get what I need. A shame, he sounds like a good guy, but he doesn't get that I NEED this.

quote:

Hm, there's a night shop near the highway exit. On Tuesday through friday, the woman operating it, Rita is known to be pretty drat 'forgetful' when it comes to asking for ID for booze and stuff. Usually that kind of stuff means you need to deal with a lot of drunken teenagers. But she's got a reputation of 'not to be hosed with'. And of course, part of me now wants to start poo poo just to challenge her and see what that's about. Which is goddamn stupid.

quote:

They say people are looking into shutting this thing down. Heard a rumor that the department of Education might have people investigating whether this place even qualifies to be called a school even by the pretty loose definition of our proud US of A. Say that there's people asking around, trying to get the intel to get this whole place shut down. Of course, where would we go after?

... I got nothing.

quote:

Name: Gary Reynolds
Look: Unkempt, Savage Eyes
Origin: ancestral power

Stats

Hot 1 Cold -1 Volatile 2 Dark -1

Moves

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Unstable
When you become your Darkest Self, mark experience.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, you establish a deep spiritual connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection (by having sex with someone else) add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self

You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your
way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Your Backstory

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

Youve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Gain two Strings on them

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 25, 2018

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Ivy the Sasquatch:

You tried to do something big and flashy to get some attention didn't you. What was it and who got the credit and/or blame for it instead of you?

Who keeps following you around and seems infatuated with you? What have you done to try and dissuade them?

Ming the Neighbour

Do your parents keep checking in on you or have they completely disowned you?

Have you noticed anyone acting well... out of the ordinary lately? Who was it and what were they doing differently from their usual behavior?

David the Infernal

What's the best reward you've asked Barb for and received? What did you do in order to pay for it? Would you do it again, knowing its cost?

Someone heard about your knife crime and started spreading rumors about you being a violent criminal. Have you been denying them or encouraging them to get a better rep?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 21, 2018

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Adam Caruso, the Hollow

Hey there. I guess you could say Im the new kid around here, in more ways than one. Lemme guess, you wanna know what I did to wind up in a sterling institution such as this? Seems like everyones been asking me that. The thing is I didnt do anything. Heck, a few months ago I didnt even exist. But now Im getting ahead of myself, lemme start from the beginning.

On the other side of town lives a curious old man named Mercutio Caruso, an Italian immigrant who moved her in the 1960's. He was a lonely man, he never married and had no children to call his own. He did have one thing though: his craft. He was a sculptor and a darn good one at that too. Reliefs, vases, statues; you name it, he could do it. Though I guess eventually his regrets on the life he never got to live caught up with him and he began work on his latest creation: a full-body statue depicting the ideal son that he never had.

And thats where I come in. The night after he finished sculpting it, something amazing happened. The statue disappeared and its place was me, a flesh and blood person. After the initial confusion over why there was a naked teenager in his workshop had passed, the old man was overjoyed. He finally had the son he wanted so badly. I guess I should be glad he didnt just make a bust instead, haha.

Even though I was born knowing how to speak and having the approximate knowledge an adult would have, my father (if you wanna call him that) could tell that I was still immature socially. Knowing that school was as much an institution meant to teach people how to socialize as it is one to impart knowledge, he decided it that is was imperative that I attend.

And thats how I wound up here. The schoolwork I can handle, but the people on the other hand I get a lot of attention but I never quite know how to react. This being human business is a lot more complicated than those novels father let me read made it seem. But Im sure Ill get it soon, maybe I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

quote:

Turns out that their aren't a lot of schools willing to look the other way if you don't have a birth certificate, previous school records, or any kind of proof you didn't just spring out of thin air. Fortunately for me, a couple decades prior my creator had donated to the school a statue of it's founder, Theodore Wallace Elm. One that still sits out in front of the school to this day. Apparently he and the old man had some history. Thanks to this, the school was willing was look the other way just this once.

quote:

In the hallway the other day I got ambushed by this guy called, uh, Guy Chance. He just shoves me up against the locker from out of nowhere and starts ranting at me about how pretty boys like me are making it harder for "the rest of us normal guys". I didn't know what he was talking about but something about that 'normal guys' bit just got under my skin and I... shoved him back. Needless to say he did not like that. Thankfully that's when a teacher finally intervened to separate us, but I have a feeling it's not the last I've seen of that weirdo.

Like I've never been so angry as to hit someone before and I know there's no way he knows the truth about what I am but, something just came over me in the heat of the moment.

quote:

Out behind the school, past the river, and into the woods there's this old two-story barn house. It's abandoned (apparently) but still in good shape. Nobody knows what's there for, but the popular kids like to throw parties out there. Of course it's only matter time till they get caught in a place like that, but I suppose that's part of the thrill.

quote:

So you know that little 3 square foot pool in the common area? It use to have some fish in it, back when this school had a budget, but now the waters have run still. Well, the rumor going around is that if you stare into it under the light of a full moon your true love's face will be reflected instead of yours. I mean, it's probably just something made up to get kids in trouble for sneaking into the school at night, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little curious...

quote:

Name: Adam Caruso
Look: Immaculate
Eyes: Wide Eyes
Origin: Born of a wish

Stats:

Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +2

Moves:

A Blank Canvas - When you take an action that embodies one of your Conditions, allowing that Condition to alter your sense of self, cross it off and add 1 to your roll.

Strange Impressions - When a main character either harms you or helps you heal, you can respond by studying them with wide eyes. If you do, temporarily gain one of their Skin Moves and add it to your character sheet. It disappears once you use it.

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone, both players secretly write down whether the sex was confusing or soothing for their character. If you reveal the same answer, both characters mark experience.

Darkest Self:

Your body us a prison. You dont belong inside of it. You need to put it in harms way, and make it suffer, just like its made you suffer. Theres got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what theyve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come to see how someone else feels more trapped than you do.

Backstory:

Youve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 strings on them.

Someones seen through your invented past, and realized its all lies. They gain two strings on you.

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 22, 2018

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

What's the best reward you've asked Barb for and received? What did you do in order to pay for it? Would you do it again, knowing its cost?
This is gonna sound super dumb. So uh... don't tell anyone? I've always looked... raggedy. Not that my mom doesn't care to buy me clothes, but we're never in the house at the same time, so a lot of what I got was stuff she bought out of convenience, second hand stuff, stuff that didn't fit quite right... that kind of jazz. Its always sorta bothered me, but not enough to go get a part time job and buy my own poo poo. So I asked Barb for a new wardrobe. Boy did he deliver, we got a bunch of boxes from amazon, it was totally the wrong address, but they all *happen* to have clothes that are in my size, and would you look at that, no one has at any point investigated this misdelivery. So now I dress like an actual human being, instead of looking like I'm wearing grandma's hand knitted handmedown.

As to what I had to do to get it... well... I'm not super proud of this one, but Barb needed me to deliver a message. To some girl in my grade, Anna Kendricks, Barb let me know when I could find her alone, and I had to tell her that if she didn't make sure all her debts were settled then her little sister was going to be in for a world of hurt. She uh... broke down crying, told me she'd do it, it was uh... well I feel kinda guilty about it, but Barb did deliver. Would I do it again? Probably? Its not like anyone got hurt or anything, and I mean, if you're getting into debt with things like Barb you better be willing to pay up. I dunno, it was lovely, but goddamn its nice to not look like a muppet anymore.

Ferrosol posted:

Someone heard about your knife crime and started spreading rumors about you being a violent criminal. Have you been denying them or encouraging them to get a better rep?

I... I haven't exactly denied them, which is as bad as encouraging them? I mean, for one, its true, I did stab somone, and all the denial in the world isn't going to make that any less true. Second, its nice to have people be a little scared of me, it certainly beats 'easy target', although I'm worried its gonna hinder my ability to meet people I wanna hang out with. I dunno, I hear being dangerous is good for picking up girls? At least that's what Barb says, not that I would know anything about girls, or how to attract them.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 21, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Leah Rose, the Ghost

Let me ask you something; do you know what it's like to feel like nothing?

I'm not smart, I'm not clever, I'm not popular, I'm not pretty, I'm not talented. I'm not good at anything. I try, I try really, really hard to help, but all I ever do is make things worse. I can't do anything right.

Nobody loves me. Nobody cares about me, not even my parents. I'm nothing but a failure of a daughter to them. That's what I am to them, and the kids at my old school weren't any better. I was picked on, called names, bullied, and I don't understand why. It's not like I've ever done anything wrong to them, but that hasn't stopped them from torturing me. They would steal my things, push me into a puddle of mud, write nasty things about me, and nobody would stop it. Nobody would help me, and I don't blame them. Why would anybody ever go out of their way to help someone like me? I'm just a weak-willed girl with no hope, and no future.

I'm nothing. Not even death wants me.

Yes, that's right. I'm dead. My heart doesn't even beat anymore.

It happened a few months ago. I was stopped by a few girls from school on my way back home, and they thought it would be fun if I walked back drenched in the cold rain, so they took my umbrella, and started pushing me around, calling me names again, reminding me how worthless I am. I didn't fight back. I didn't even try to resist. I was so... tired. One of the girls ended up shoving me into the streets, and that's when I heard the sound of a truck horn, and then... everything went dark.

I still remember it. The darkness. There was no light at the end of the tunnel, no angels to guide me, nothing. Just the silent darkness... but I didn't mind that. There was nothing around to remind me about how nothing I am. It was almost... peaceful.

But it didn't last long. After a while, I started hearing the sound of rain, and I could feel it dropping on my skin. I opened my eyes, and there I was, lying on the grass, alive again.

..But I knew. I knew I wasn't truly alive. Like I said, my heart stopped working, my skin became pale, and my body lost all it's warmth. I died that day, but death rejected me, and tossed me back into the world as a living spirit. There was no real peace for me in the end.

I came to school the next day as if nothing had ever happened, and things were... different. People were keeping their distance from me, even the girls who bullied me, as if I was invisible to them. I went from being constantly bullied to isolated by everybody in my old school, which... somehow hurt even more.

...And now, here I am, in this place where unwanted kids are taken to, like me. I should be upset about it, but... I'm not. I don't feel much of anything anymore, if I'm being honest.

quote:

My parents sent me here. They said I had "issues" that the school would help me deal with, but I knew they were lying to me. They just didn't wanted to get rid of me. They didn't want me anymore, the daughter they never wanted, and I... don't blame them. I'm nothing but a burden to them. I'm not angry at them for wanting to forget about me. It's not like I had any worth in the first place.

quote:

Jodie Foster is one of the girls from my old school, and she was also one who shoved me into the streets that day. She was taken here shortly after my "accident," and she blames me for her current situation, saying it's my fault that she's here in the first place. The first thing she did when she saw me was give me a black eye.

Do I hate her? No, not really. I know she hates me, and I know she's the one responsible for my death, but I don't blame her for it. It was an accident, nothing more, and the punch she gave me hurt, but it didn't really phase me. It's hard to be bothered by things after you've died once.

quote:

There's an old, abandoned fair near the school. I just feel... drawn to that place, and I don't know why. It might be because the old fair is broken down, and unwanted, like me, or it might be because of how the place reminds me of the darkness, the same, quiet darkness I experienced after I died.

Whatever the reason, I find myself going there a lot. It's usually quiet, and empty, which is fine with me. People here usually avoid going there because of all the rumors surrounding it, rumors like...

quote:

...How the abandoned fair was cursed. There was a tragic accident years ago that killed over 20 people, and the fair was shut down shortly after that, and now they say that it's now filled with all the angry souls of the departed, who come out late at night, and will curse you if they see you. There's also rumors of a cult that was meeting somewhere deep in the fair, and they're the ones responsible for bringing the curse to the fair.

But it's all just rumors, and it might not even be true. Either way, it's not something I'm really bothered by. Even if the rumors about being cursed is true, it's not like they could make my life any more empty than it already is.

The Ghost posted:

Name: Leah Rose
Look: forlorn
Eyes: hollow eyes
Origin: a tragic accident

Stats:

Hot -1, Cold +2, Volatile -1, Dark +1

Moves:
 Unresolved Trauma
Whenever something brings to mind your death, you choke up and gain the Condition traumatized if you dont have it already. Whenever someone helps you resolve this Condition, you both mark experience.

 Transference
Whenever you spend time truly listening to someone elses struggles, they heal 1 Harm, and then transfer their remaining harm to you.

 Limitless
You can walk through walls and fly.

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another. This can be asked in character or player-to-player. They must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self:

You become invisible, unnoticeable. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Backstory:
Someone knows that youre dead and how you died. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Youve been inside someones bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 22, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Do your parents keep checking in on you or have they completely disowned you?

They do provide for me. A shithole apartment near the school, some money for food and various other things, the occasional call. This isn't out of the kindness of their heart though - they're loving terrified of everyone back home finding out about me. Plus they can guilt trip me about how they're still helping me out and giving me things even though I'm being "stubborn." They keep trying to ask me if I've seen the "errors" of my "ways." I think they're holding out hope that Elm Hall will crush me and I'll give up. Fat loving chance. Assholes don't seem to realize at the very least I'm more free to dress and act like I want here. That's one benefit to what's happened I suppose.

Ferrosol posted:

Have you noticed anyone acting well... out of the ordinary lately? Who was it and what were they doing differently from their usual behavior?

Sumati Joshi used to hang out with everyone at Wonderscore Arcade. She was one of us - a butch gay girl to be specific. I don't know if that's why she's here, we don't really talk about that with each other. Anyway, she started acting weird a little while ago. She stopped coming by so often, and when I saw her she changed to be more feminine. Then she began talking about going out with boys. The first two I could see...maybe she started liking guys and decided to dress differently, right? But then she started talking about how she "fixed" herself and how I should follow her example and not deny my "true self." I just told her to gently caress off and we haven't talked since. Sometimes I wonder what happened to make her change like that. But it's not really my problem, is it? I have enough to worry about. Still. It was just so quick and...strange how it happened that I can't stop wondering about it.

And she was my friend.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Ivy the Sasquatch:

You tried to do something big and flashy to get some attention, didn't you? What was it and who got the credit and/or blame for it instead of you?

Ugh, yeah. So... it was a little bit before the big football game. Against... uh. Whoever our rivals are? Not gonna lie, I don't really follow our teams. At all. As far as I'm concerned, the less I have to do with those bastards, the happier I'm going to be. Anyways, Ryan Rand has been... y'know. I'll tell you more about that in a few. But all this? It was my big plan to get him off my back, make a bit of a splash, and maybe get in with some likeminded people. Make a few friends, you know? But it... well, that didn't exactly go to plan.

So I snuck some dye out of the art room, right? Bright pink. Super, super garish. Nobody noticed me dunk it all into the washing machines for the jerseys. Isn't that kind of hosed? No laundry for the PE classes, but there's a couple of machines just sitting there for the sports teams to use. Well, whatever. Everything spun around, got all clean, and came out just about the pinkest tie-dye you've ever seen. By the time the coaches figured it out, there was no time to get replacements or anything, so the players tossed it on and marched out to the jeers of the crowd.

Of course, nobody thinks I did it. Everyone's convinced that it was some prank by the rival team. I heard a bunch of people got into a fight with the other team, real bloody, after the game. Maybe I shouldn't have done it, but... Well, too late for regrets now.

Ferrosol posted:

Who keeps following you around and seems infatuated with you? What have you done to try and dissuade them?

Star quarterback and all-American rear end in a top hat: Ryan Rand. The guy is somehow simultaneously the worst piece of human refuse I've ever met, a total pig, and worshipped by our general population of rejects and miscreants. I suppose he is like their king. And... god only knows why, but he's pretty goddamn intent on me. Like, I dunno, ever since that first day in gym he's been shooting me this absolutely disgusting look, like he's just imagining what he's gonna do when he corners me. I bet you don't need two guesses to figure out what's on his mind, huh?

I thought that this whole thing with the uniforms would make my position pretty drat clear. I don't want his attention, I don't want his girl on the cheerleading squad ruining my life, and I just want him to get out of my life. If anything, it's made him even more intent on getting with me. I guess enough people are giving him poo poo about the pink uniforms that he wants to prove how manly he is or some poo poo.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

River the Selkie

What's your favourite human song at the moment and what does it tell you about humanity?

Where have you been living? and what do you most miss from your time back home under the sea?

Leah the Ghost

What's the one thing that still makes you feel like you're alive?

Who pretends to be a better person than they are and what have you seen them do when they think no one is watching them?

Adam the Hollow

What was the subject your "Father" was most keen to see you learn? Which subject have you enjoyed more instead?

You tried acting like a character out of one of the novels you read. Which character was it and why didn't it go as well as you hoped?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 23, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
River Mayflower - The Selkie

"Questions? I love questions! You look like you're nice and not horrible! You're not horrible right?...... r-right?

quote:

What's your favourite human song at the moment and what does it tell you about humanity?

That's kinda a hard question... I mean, it be easier to tell you songs I don't like... "Under the Sea" www.yoube NO! Don't play it! I hate that song because it's true, except we don't have any cool Jamaican talking crab friends. I'd really like a cool Jamaican talking crab friend. Uh, b-but anyway, I can't listen to that song without wanting to go home. It's so hard to not just run straight for the river and leave forever. But I've got to be strong, I've got to really do this!

Favourite song... favourite song... hmmm, well don't laugh but I've been secretly listening to this song when I'm alone. I had an aunt who lived in the Irish sea, and she used to sign me song like this all the time. She'd run away and gone to the land as well. It tells me I'm not the only one who was told to not chase my dreams! But that following my heart can lead to wonderful things! Maybe I'm not so different from the humans after all, that if they just open their hearts, we can find common ground. I cling to that hope.

Even if some people are trying really really really, really really really really REALLY hard to prove otherwise.

Oh! And I found something called wrap! I've not listened to any of it yet. Do you think it'll be anything like that?

quote:

Where have you been living? and what do you most miss from your time back home under the sea?

The Headmaster found me this little flat, he's been paying my living expenses. I don't know what that means, but I think it means I can stay there for now. It's not to far away from the school. Only a few miles. Which is nothing compaired to what I used to swim. But these legs are a terrible design. They start hurting so quickly when I'm walking! A-And they're so thin, there's barely even a shred of blubber on them! What are you supposed to do when winter comes? There's no squid to hunt out here, or anything!

I miss the sunlight streaming from above, playing amongst the algae forests looking for octopus. Plus, when I sung, all the fishes would come to me and listen, it felt so magical and amazing! I don't get that here. (I also miss not getting shouted at and people being mean to me.... I-I'm not crying... *sniff*)

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Jessie Hann
The Ghoul

Do you believe in Hell? Most people don't, that's fine. I mean, Fire and Brimstone, God and Satan, Sins and Punishment... it all sounds like an elaborate fantasy when you think about it. It's a story you tell little kids to make them act right. "Don't do bad things, or you'll go to Hell. Follow the rules so you can go to Heaven." But what do you really think happens when you die? You just die and decay and decompose, right? Fade into nothingness. But what if it wasn't that? What if you died, and you found yourself... right where you were? Still on Earth, somehow.

It'd be weird, right? You'd almost everything was normal, and that you didn't die. But then you notice everything that's wrong. You can't feel happiness anymore. You can't feel any emotion anymore. You feel nothing. The only thing you can feel, deep-down, is this hunger. This big, terrifying need to do terrible things. To inflict suffering on others. And then you think... "Oh. Is this what Hell is?"

What if Hell isn't some otherworldly place? What if Hell was all around us? What if Hell is just a place where happiness doesn't exist? What if it's just a place where everyone wallows in misery? Where everyone is cruel all the time? What if, instead of looking like a fiery underground pit, Hell looked completely normal?

What if Hell existed on Earth, and it was Elm Hall all along?

Well, I used to be different. I used to be someone that could smile. Someone that could laugh, cry, and puke. I used to be someone that you could call a good kid. I went to the best school, I had the best grades, I had it all worked out. But I couldn't handle it. It was all an act. A facade. Deep down... I hated it all. I wanted it to end. There was a point I had eight tests in one week. I couldn't do it. And I knew if I didn't do it, I'd lose everything. I'd lose my 4.0. I'd lose my chance at all my scholarships. I wouldn't be able to get into college. I'd ruin everything my parents set up for me.

So I tried to get out of it. I jumped off the school roof. I thought it would work. It didn't.

Well. It sort of worked. Hitting the ground did all the things you might expect to happen to the human body. There was a thud, a crunch, a pain like nothing I had ever felt. And then a slow, slow darkness. And then I woke up again, right where I was before. Almost like nothing had happened. There was no pain anymore... but there wasn't anything else, either. I had changed. I had lost something, it took me a while to notice what.

My school did not take kindly to people jumping off of their roof. Even if, in my case, you happened to be perfectly fine afterwards. They kicked me out, but not to here. Not yet. They sent me out into the wilds of the regular school system. When my parents found out, they were furious. Yelled at me for hours. But I noticed something. As much as everything was coming crashing down, as much as things were as bad as they could be... I didn't care. It didn't matter to me. The part inside of me that would normally be screaming and crying... just wasn't there. It was like a part of me had been torn out. There was a hole. A void. Or maybe that was the part of me that died when I hit the ground.

Part of me was just missing. And I would never get it back.

I went through the next few weeks on auto-pilot. Just walking forward, day after day. I sat where I was supposed to sit, I went where I was supposed to go. But when I really needed to do anything I just- didn't. I was basically a zombie. I wasn't thinking anything, I wasn't feeling anything. Maybe if things stayed that way, I might still be out there. Stuck in an endless limbo. But they didn't. There was something in me that was changing. Something that was growing more and more painful. A voice that was screaming louder and louder. It was the void. The hole. That space where my lost feelings once were. There was a hunger in there. A hunger that was eating me up from the inside. Rotting me like the earth should have been. But i didn't know what to do. I had no idea how to handle. So I didn't. I just kept going on auto-pilot. Not thinking.

Then one day I just snapped. There was this one girl. Quiet. Misfit. You might say that she was like me. If you didn't know better. She was fragile, like I used to be. Nervous, on-edge, worrying. She had this aura that to this day I remember how it felt. How it smelled. How it tasted.

I needed it. I needed it like nothing I had ever known. Like nothing I could comprehend.

My body just snapped into action. I can barely even remember exactly what happened. It just happened. I lunged at her, and I bit her. I could taste her blood, and I could taste her fear. It made me feel... alive, somehow. For a moment it felt like I had never even died.

It didn't take long for me to get caught. That girl's screams were pretty loud. Needless to say, that school didn't tolerate that kind of behavior. And they sent me here... where I probably belong.

Jay Cameron, the wannabe marine. He tried to scare me with his truck, and I scared him right back. I think word's gotten around about that, though, so I don't know who else has their eyes on me.

Have you been to the Fairwinds Mall? It's about a dead mall as you can get without it actually dying. Everything's falling apart, nothing's been maintained, the decor hasn't changed in decades... but still there are somehow five or so stores still clinging to life there. It's a place that should not exist.

I've heard that this school used to have a basement. In the west stairway there's a spot where a door clearly should be, but there isn't. If you tap on the bricks there, apparently it sounds hollow. People say that there used to be a Cold War fallout shelter down there, but then they blocked it off. For some reason.

5. Give me a thread title that isn't terrible.

Welcome to Elm Hell

The Ghoul posted:

Name: Jessie Hann
Look: Pale
Eyes: Weak Eyes
Origin: Resurrected?

Stats:
Hot -1 Cold 1 Volatile 2 Dark -1

Ghoul Moves:
The Hunger
You have a Hunger for: Fear

When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a promising feeding opportunity, roll to Keep Your Cool.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. A few hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
-Heal 1 Harm;
-Mark experience;
-Take 1 Forward.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, create a new Hunger.

Darkest Self:
Your dull hunger sharpens. You cant focus on anything else but feeding. And in addition to your peculiar cravings, you recognize something else. That primordial hunger which connects all hungers. Flesh, blood, meat. You escape your Darkest Self once youve overindulged, or youve been locked out for long enough to regain composure.

Your Backstory
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them a String.

Did anyone watch you die? If so, you gain 2 Strings on each other.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 31, 2018

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

:siren: Anyone still considering an app you have about 12 hours in which to post it :siren:

Jessie the Ghoul

Who tried to scare you and what did you do to them to show them what real fear was?

How have your parents tried to help you be your "normal self" and why did it not go the way they planned?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

And recruitment is closed. If people can finish up their apps/questions as soon as possible we can get this show on the road.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Gary the Werewolf

One batch of pills caused you to have an unusual reaction to them. What did you do under the influence? and would you take them again?

Someone was really asking for a beating but you didn't give them one, Who was it? and why did you hold back?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

quote:

One batch of pills caused you to have an unusual reaction to them. What did you do under the influence? and would you take them again?

Ah, that set. Right, this was before I got thrown here, but at my old school, this one batch did kind of keep me calm, but they also gave me... well, a doctor would probably say hallucinations. I could smell everyone. And I couldn't really stop it, even breathing in through my mouth only reduced the effect. And not only that, I knew what it meant. It was... pretty drat invasive. I suddenly knew what everyone'd been doing that left traces of smell, even if you normally couldn't, kinda knew their emotional state, and one girl I knew she was preggers before she knew it herself.

Once I calmed down, it was actually kinda cool. I mean, I was still in a nice calm place, so I just enjoyed sensations that I'd never had before. But afterwards, kinda hard to look people in the eye. And in the case of some guys, give them a high five knowing where that hand's been recently. So the answer is 'I dunno, maybe I guess?' If I was on my own, or around people I didn't know at all or was really comfortable with maybe? I mean, I don't wanna get addicted to that poo poo or nothing. I'm not an addict, I'm just treating this werewolf thing, alright?

quote:

Someone was really asking for a beating but you didn't give them one, Who was it? and why did you hold back?

First of all, let's make something clear. I don't enjoy violence or beating people up. That's just... there werewolf thing. It's when I lose my temper and I usually regret what I did afterwards. I don't go looking around for people to beat up. I just have trouble stopping myself sometimes. And I guess, on occasion I might do a favor for some people to get something to calm me down. Because it's better if I commit a little violence while under self control now to give me the stuff I need to avoid committing violence while not under control later.

There was one time when I lost my temper but ended up not going through with it though. Sophie. I don't know what was up with her, but one day, while I was kinda running low on my medicine, she started needling me. Trailer track hick jokes, your mom jokes, the whole thing. And she was doing it on her own, and she deliberately made sure she took a few shots while there wasn't anyone around. So I snapped, grabbed her by the front and was going to... well... you know... hit her.

The look in her eyes. No, it wasn't that she wanted to get hit or something like that. More like, she felt like she deserved it?

Seeing that, well, I just let her go and stormed off, ignoring whatever she was yelling at me. Guess it reminded me of home too much.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Leah the Ghost
What's the one thing that still makes you feel like you're alive?

...This... is going to sound a little strange, and maybe a little wrong, but it's pain.

I'm dead, but my body can still feel pain. I won't bleed if you poke me with something sharp, but I'll still feel the stinging pain. It's strange, and I'm sure why it is that way, but there's something almost... comforting about it. Pain is one of the few things that makes me feel something. Pain reminds me that I'm still alive.

...I've taken things from others. Sharp things, and put them in my bag, and I use those things to prick myself. It's... it's why I have so many bandages on my hands. Just a slight prick. Despite everything I said, I don't actively seek out ways to physically hurt myself, and I've never gone further than that. All I do, whenever I'm at my lowest, whenever life becomes too much to bear, is poke my fingers with one of those sharp things to remind myself that I'm still here, to remind that I'm still a person.

...I know, I know it's wrong, but it's one of the few things I can do that makes my day's bearable. It stops me from feeling completely numb. Maybe one day I won't have to do that anymore. Maybe the constant numbness will go away, and I won't have to hurt myself to feel something else, but I don't ever see that happening. Maybe if I was somebody who was worth caring about... but I'm not.

I'm just a burden to everybody around me.

quote:

Who pretends to be a better person than they are and what have you seen them do when they think no one is watching them?

Ryan Rand is... not a good person. He's a big bully, always pushing people around to make himself feel better, making other people's lives miserable, acting like he's better than everybody else, and yet, everybody here worships him. The students, the teachers, everybody. They all act as if he is the single shining star in a school filled with hopeless kids, the only student with a real chance at a future.

If only they knew the truth. I saw him while I was on the school rooftop one day, and I noticed him heading into an empty alleyway by himself. I floated over to where he was to see what he was doing there, and that's when I saw it. The needles. The star of Elm Hall was doping himself. What's more, after the needles, he started flying into a rage, yelling like a wild beast, lashing out at anything that was close to him, and after he came down from his sudden burst of rage, he broke down, and started... crying. I watched as the man who thinks he's king of Elm Hall breaks down, and is reduced to nothing more than a sobbing infant.

I'm the only one who knows it. His secret. His hidden pain. I could share what he did to the rest of the school, ruin his life and his career, but... I didn't. I don't want to destroy anybody's life, not even a reprehensible bully like him. And besides, who would believe me, anyways? I'm just a nobody. Who would take my words over his? It just doesn't seem worth it.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

quote:

What was the subject your "Father" was most keen to see you learn? Which subject have you enjoyed more instead?

You think it'd be art right? Well, yes and no. My father doesn't care for what the school has to teach me about art. He says that he can teach me everything I need to know on the subject. What my father wants me study here are math and business. He wants me to be self-sufficient, he knows he won't be around forever. I know it's what I need to know, but I just can't muster up any enthusiasm, any passion for those subjects.

No, what's caught my attention here is the stage. It's not really a 'subject' per se, but I've joined the Elm Hall Drama Club. I was able to catch one of their performances shortly after enrolling and I just knew I had to get involved. To see myself on stage, in front of everyone. I haven't told the old man that I've joined them yet. I broached the subject of theater with him the other day and... it didn't go so well. He says it's not real art. That real art is something you make with your own two hands, not something that involves 'prancing around in front of everyone like a ninny'. But I can't help myself, the call of the spotlight is intoxicating. Maybe I'll find a way to convince him that he's wrong.

quote:

You tried acting like a character out of one of the novels you read. Which character was it and why didn't it go as well as you hoped?

Alright, so, this one is kind of embarrassing. Okay, really embarrassing. So there's one book in particular from my father's collection that really caught my attention. It's the story of a man who travels around the world in eighty days. What really drew me in was the descriptions of all these wonderful places I've never seen before, I was able to look them up on the computer later but I can only imagine how great it must be to go there in person. As I was reading it I noticed that the main character of the book, Phileas Fogg, was almost impossibly cool. It seemed like he always had the right thing to say, was always cool under fire, and everyone liked him.

So of course I decide the key to getting everyone to like me is to act just like him. Though it seems emulating Mr. Fogg's precise scheduling (always eating at a specific time, in a specific way, in a specific place, etc;) combined with my... unique mannerisms, made me seem robotic. Or at least that's what Sadie Vasquez said to me. Loud enough where everyone could hear her. And she didn't put it nearly as kindly as I did. I still get people making fun of me for that one.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jessie the Ghoul

Ferrosol posted:

Who tried to scare you and what did you do to them to show them what real fear was?

You're talking about Jay Cameron. Shaved head. Marines tattoo. Short fuse. Often yells about what he thinks is wrong with this country. He likes to threaten people with his truck sometimes. When people are in the road, he turns on his hi-beams and slams on the gas like he's going to run them over. Always has a big laugh about it.

One morning he decided to do this to me. I'm walking in the parking lot when I hear that loud engine and that loud stereo. I turn around and I see those bright lights shining in my face. Then a rev and a screech and he starts driving towards me. I think he expected me to jump out of the way like everyone else. But I didn't.

I mean... it's not like he could do anything to me that hitting the ground couldn't. Or even if he did... would it even be that bad? Maybe it would have been more logical to get out of the way, but it's not like there was anything inside me making me want to do so. It's not like I have any of my own fear left anymore. So I just stared at him, as his truck came closer, and closer. I could see his face pretty clearly. Until the very last second he had this big grin, but then it began to crack. You could see the panic start to creep in. But it didn't make a difference. By the time he reacted it's not like there was any time to stop anyway.

And then he hit me. Crack, thud. A moment later I'm lying on the ground, and aching all over. But I was still functional. I get up, and I look at him, and he's... not quite scared, but somewhere close. Somewhere between angry and shocked. Close enough to be appetizing. I could smell it, I could feel it. That fear I needed to feel human again. It was there. I just needed to dig it out.

Before he could really react, I'm at the side of his car. Driver side door. He stares at me. Asks what the hell is wrong with me. I stare back, wait, let a moment pass. Let the tension drag out a little bit further. Time is your friend in situations like this. I could tell what I looked like. I was a mess. Scratched up, bloody, a little broken.

"What did you expect to happen?" I looked him in the eye and I asked. "...Are you ready for what's going to come next?"

Then I reached through the window. Grabbed him. He flinched, started to panic. He tried to get away by reversing his car as fast as he could. Started dragging me along the asphalt, scraping my legs and feet. I didn't let go. This goes on for a little bit. I put my other hand on the car to make sure I don't fall off. Eventually it stops. Jay throws open the door and forces his way out. He puts some distance between us and he pulls out a knife. Yells at me to get the gently caress away from him. I don't, of course. I give him another glassy-eyed stare and I start to walk towards him yet again.

I can smell it even more now. I've pushed him into a corner. He's completely on edge. That rush I needed was almost there... All I needed was one solid push.

So I lunged forward and grabbed the blade of his knife with my bare hand. In normal circumstances, possibly the worst move one could make. But I didn't care, my hands would always heal with time. Blood immediately started going pretty much everywhere, and Jay... I don't think Jay had any idea what do anymore. Nothing made any more sense. Then I put my other hand around his neck and squeezed. I asked him, "Are you going to do this again? Are you going to do this again...?"

He shook his head. His eyes finally started to plead with me. And that feeling came back to me. The rush, the high, the wholeness. I could feel his fear, and I felt whole.

Ferrosol posted:

How have your parents tried to help you be your "normal self" and why did it not go the way they planned?

They decided to bring me to a fancy office downtown, where they could sit me down with a therapist and act concerned at me. "Honey, we're worried about you. Are you okay? Is something wrong?" As if there was any question. As if they expected it to be that easy. As if they expected things to end like some daytime tv drama, with a cry and a hug.

When I jumped, they had no idea that anything was wrong. Until then, they never even pretended to care about me. They just wanted me to meet their pre-set goals, and as long as I was on track everything was fine. And now they thought they could come in and act like they understood. I could feel that old resentment still burning in my heart, actually. Even when most everything else was gone, that was still there. So I chose to tell them what I thought. Exactly what I thought, holding nothing back. I told them how much I hated them. I told them how worthless I thought they were.

And then I went a step further. I told them the real truth. I told them what it felt like to break every bone in my body. I told them what death felt like. I told them about the void in my heart, and how the smell of fear makes me feel alive again. I told them everything.

And then we left with multiple anti-psychotic and anti-schizophrenic medications. That's how they dealt with that.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Well it's time for the worst part of running these threads, Picks. I sadly couldn't take everyone. Still just because you weren't picked doesn't mean your app was bad. These choices were hard. Still without further ado

River the Selkie played by Arashiofordo3
Ming the Neighbour played by Heliotrope
David the Infernal played by TheCog
Ivy the Sasquatch played by Tricky
Gary the Werewolf played by Shogeton
Jessie the Ghoul played by Takanago

code:
                     [Mr Taylor]             
\Door        [    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [    ]   
|            [    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [    ]   
So in addition to sorting out your backstory strings, I'd like you all to find your seat and seat one or two NPCs as well.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
My backgrounds:

quote:

You live next to someone; your bedroom windows face each other. You leave your blinds up. Each gain 2 Strings on one another.

Jessie Hann creeps me the gently caress out. And the worst thing is he lives across me. Either something happened to the blinds or the previous tenant stole them or whatever, so I can't close them. And I keep seeing him just sitting there, watching me. It makes it hard to focus on homework or just relax when I know he's there.

quote:

You made out with someone a while ago. Gain a String on them and give them 2 Strings on you.

I know a lot of people think Ivy Rana smells weird, but she actually smells really nice. I don't know why no one else seems to think so. I've talked to her a few times before. One day we were alone in the girls locker room and I was ready to leave, but I smelled something really good. I headed over to the source and it was Ivy. I started to say "Hey", but...something came over me and I leaned forward and started kissing her. She kissed me back and we just stood there in the locker room, making out. It took the bell ringing to snap us out of it and make us realize we were late to the next class.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 29, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Backgrounds:

quote:

+ Youve been a wallflower all your life, but someone finally noticed you. Give them a String.

Ming told you about the locker room, huh? Funny how a place can have my worst memories of Elm Hall and my best... at least so far. It's, uh, it's been really nice having her talk with me. Spend time with me. Actually realize that I exist. The makeouts are great, too, of course. I guess it's kind of funny there too. I never really thought about what turns me on or who I'd want to get with before all this. She's the first person to bring all that up.

quote:

+ Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you gain 2 Strings on them.

Jessie is kind of an rear end in a top hat! I mean, not quite Ryan-tier or anything, but dude. I get it. When people bothered to remember me in grade school, it was to razz me about how I smell. You'd figure we'd be past that by now... but loving whatever. I've got his number. I guess we'll see what happens. Maybe he'll be next on my list if River comes through.

code:
                     [Mr Taylor]             
\Door        [Ryan]        [    ]        [    ]        [    ]   
|            [    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [Ivy]   

Tricky fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 30, 2018

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the Dark Power and the other characters.

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 27, 2018

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jessie's Backgrounds:

quote:

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them a String.

I saw something amazing the other night. A monster, illuminated in the pale moonlight. A beast, radiating menace. An embodiment of pure horror and terror, right out of an old fable. The Werewolf. Gary Reynolds.

The moment I saw him, I felt this... awe in my heart. I felt it beat, I felt it tremble in a way I had completely forgotten about. I've seen the faces of the terrified dozens of times before, but never have I seen anything so terrifying. Anything so powerful. Anything so... beautiful.

I want to see that face again. I want to see that body again. I want to see him. I want to see his strength, and his terror. I want to feel it first-hand... and then I want to break it. I want to break him. What do you think a Werewolf looks like when he cries? What do you think he'll sounds like when he screams? What do you think... what do you think will happen when all that raw emotion inside just comes spilling out?

quote:

Did anyone watch you die? If so, you gain 2 Strings on each other.

David's face is familiar to me. There's something strangely familiar about him, as if I know him from somewhere before. As if there is a thread binding us together. Sometimes I catch him staring at me, so the feeling seems mutual... But I can't give any explanation why.

Other's Backgrounds:

quote:

Ming Fan moved next door to me recently. She's interesting to watch. More interesting to look at than anything in my own room, at least. Nothing in my own house has any meaning to me anymore, so sometimes I look out my window and into hers. To remind myself of what mundane life is like.

It's like diorama, just for me to watch. Sometimes I wondering what's going through her head, when she's doing things like studying or just laying on her bed.

quote:

Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you gain 2 Strings on them.
People have said that the smell of death is the worst there is. They are wrong. Death in itself is sterile and pure. It is the processes of life that surround it that smell. And when it comes to the stenches of life, Ivy Rana smells like life in the very worst way. Very muddy, very sweaty, extremely biological. Being around her makes my digestive system remember how to want to vomit. That smell is a constant reminder of the very worst parts of being alive.

"Ivy, being around you makes me want to die." I've told her this, on multiple occasions. If dying again could bring me to another layer of death where I wouldn't have to smell her anymore, I would.

(Ivy gets the Condition "Killer Stench")

code:
Ignore this map it's outdated
                     [Mr Taylor]             
\Door        [Ryan]        [    ]        [    ]        [      ]   
|            [Jay ]        [    ]        [    ]        [Jessie]   
|            [    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [      ]   
|            [    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [Ivy   ]   

Takanago fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 30, 2018

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

code:
                     [Mr Taylor]             
\Door        [Ryan]        [    ]        [    ]        [Tammy]  
|            [ Jay ]       [    ]        [    ]        [Jessie]   
|            [    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [      ]   
|            [    ]        [Chris]       [David]       [ Ivy ]   
Chris Clemsworth is.... a very very strange kid. He's hopped up on *something* that's for sure. He mostly sits there and twitches. Occasionally during classes he'll just miss class for no reason. Kid has issues, and I kind of wish I weren't sitting next to him. Better than some of the alternatives. He's probably a fine hookup if you need... whatever he's taking. Skeeves me out just a bit.

Tammy B is a nerd. As close to a nerd as this school has anyway. She's one of the few students that seems engaged in any of the classes, and as a result she often get stuck "helping" people like Ryan with their homework. I dunno if she gets paid in money, drugs, or not getting beat up. Probably that last one, but I don't really know. I try not to get too involved in those turf wars.

EDIT:

Takanago posted:

Jessie's Backgrounds:

I'll take "saw a suicide" for ten points.

I used to wander by Benningan Private, up the hill. Its almost on the other side of town from Elm. Really secluded place. But it had some cool fountains and gardens that were cool to draw. I got caught once or twice and yelled at, but since that was the worst thing that happened I kept sneaking in. It was an escape, I liked the place. Well, until that day. I saw this kid hanging out on the roof. I didn't think anything of it, kids hung out up there every so often, I'd catch glances of them. Probably smoking or something? It wasn't till Barb told me to watch that I realized something was going on. I saw him *jump*. I was... I think it might be the most horrific thing I've ever seen, more horrific than washing blood off my hands. He hit the floor and crumpled, shattered really. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I screamed. Wasn't the only one of course, people in the classrooms saw it too. So I scrammed. I still can't get his face out of my head though, as he lay there, blood trickling from between his lips.

Imagine my surprise when I got to Elm and found I was in the very same class.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 27, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
code:
                     [Mr Taylor]             
\Door        [Ryan]        [    ]        [    ]        [Tammy]  
|            [ Jay ]       [    ]        [ Guy]        [Jessie]   
|            [Sumati]        [    ]        [    ]        [Ming]   
|            [    ]        [Chris]       [David]       [ Ivy ]   

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

code:
\Door        [Ryan]        [    ]        [Sophie]        [Tammy]  
|            [Sumati]      [    ]        [ Mike]        [Ming]   
|            [ Gary ]      [Chris]       [David]       [ Ivy ]   
Gary'sbackgrounds:

I lack Subtlety and give everyone a string.

Youve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Gain two Strings on them.

Ivy. God drat it, how do I explain that without sounding like the skeeviest gently caress ever? So, there was this first day, and all of us had to run laps. I don't mind that. Gets me tired. Take out all the energy elsewhere, get too tired to get angry. Anyway, at the end there is someone sweating like whow, and it's not just sweat. Smells something else too. I mean, even without those pills that did the weird thing, I got a pretty sharp nose. And yeah, there's some people pointing at Ivy, and the coach gets pissed at her.

Would've left it at that, except the next day, I remember the smell, but I can't remember what the smell belongs to. And loving god drat it if that isn't something that gets all up my werewolf's side rear end that there's a smell there I don't know. And I smell it again now and then, but never find who it belongs to. Except at one point when I passed her in the hallway. Didn't look at her, but the smell hit me and I completely forgot whatever I was doing.

She's in my class. And she doesn't look half bad realy. Why didn't I remember her? I've been keeping an eye on her, making sure I don't forget her. Sometimes I think I'm just getting hella paranoid. Or maybe my memory being poo poo is part of the side effects?

And of course, to make it worse, Ryan's making moves on her. As if the rear end in a top hat wasn't pushing all the 'show him who's the alpha male, rah rah rah' buttons enough. So now Ivy is involved too, and for crying out loud, I've got enough problems.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 27, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
River Mayflowers backgrounds

pre:
\Door        [Ryan]        [River]       [Sophie]      [Tammy]  
|            [Sumati]      [    ]        [ Mike]       [Ming]   
|            [ Gary ]      [Chris]       [David]       [ Ivy ]   
You watched someone swimming. Gain a String on them.

So, um, this one time I was on my way to one of my favourite diving spots in the forest. Because it's nice and quiet and no one else goes there, and then I heard this big splash! So I sneak over, a-and then it was this guy from my class and he was basically naked except his clothes and OHMYGOD I didn't know anyone else knew about this place! I wanted to go say hi, but he was muttering to himself really loudly and he said he hated that he was wearing a wolf, and something something something, his mom sucks....

I have no idea what wearing a wolf is... But... maybe it's like me? I mean, there's gotta be other beings like us! Just... on land. But... I don't know how to start a conversation. What if Wolves are like... bad or something?

Someone stole your pelt, and theyve figured out how important it is to you. They said theyll give it back if you do something for them. Each gain a String on one another.

Ivy took it! She took it and won't give it back! I don't know when it happened! I never even let it out of my sight for a second! But she's got it and I know she's got it because she showed it to me and it's not fair and now she wants me to do things and-and-andddd WAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" [Cries uncontrollably]

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 27, 2018

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Debts

I owe Ming one. It hasn't been easy, dealing with the jock crowd here. They aren't as uh... intent on me as the last batch, but that doesn't make them any less assholes. Ryan in particular is what I would classify as a grade A rear end in a top hat. So when he walked off with my gym stuff with a malicious smile, I got a keen sense of deja-vu. Been here, done that. Mind you, I didn't much care to go to gym anyway, but i didn't want the notebook with all my sketches it getting lost. So I was pretty impressed when Ming just storms up to him, and says "That isn't yours!". I took the opportunity to grab the bag from the distracted Ryan's hands, and dash. Mind you I hate running, but I didn't especially want to get into a fight. Anyway, I owe her one, so if she ever needs anything, I'll be sure to do her a solid.

I feel like I owe River one. Weird, I know, since I think I'm a little beyond asking her for anything, but well... she's been the only person to be genuinely kind to me in the time i've been here. Despite my rep, despite my sort of standoffish-hostile attitude, she'll still say hi, and give me what feels like a genuine smile. Its a refreshing change of pace from odd looks, and general apathy. So yeah, I if I can get her back for making the school less of a depressing shithole, I totally will.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Ivy took it! She took it and won't give it back! I don't know when it happened! I never even let it out of my sight for a second! But she's got it and I know she's got it because she showed it to me and it's not fair and now she wants me to do things and-and-andddd WAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" [Cries uncontrollably]

Okay, wow, can we just agree right here that she's being a little dramatic? Yes, I took the pelt. "Took." It was just lying around by the river behind the school! It's cute, I liked the look of it, and as far as I could tell it was just randomly there. Given how she went nuclear the moment she figured out I had it, that's totally on her. I like my jacket, but you don't see me taking it off and leaving it around, y'know? So... whatever. I'll give it back eventually. If she remembers I have it. I heard she totally dunked Ryan into the river the other day. Maybe she can do something like that again, help me get him off my back for good this time.

• Locked thread