Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is the decisive turn. Do the players now know the full set of roles for certain? If not, it may be wiser to play for information rather than tragedy prevention.

E: update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well we know the Doctor is the Brain now, so based on last loop the Killer is probably the Office Worker. We can't really say between the Cop and the Boy Student who is the conspiracy theorist, but on the other hand based on Day 2 of Loop 2 when the Mastermind moved the doctor and cop into the city with the girl and office worker, it would have to be the cop (with office worker as murderer, which would make sense) if they were going for a kill. But at this point I don't see how we can possibly find out, since there's 0 reason for the mastermind to give out more paranoia, since neither possible candidate can tip anyone into suicide.

So if it comes down to it (italics are uncertain):
Girl Student - Key Person
Shrine Maiden - Serial Killer
Doctor - Brain
Office Worker - Killer
Police Officer - Conspiracy Theorist
Boy Student - Person

But that's not firm enough to bet on. So for now, I guess we make sure there's a Buddy for the Girl anywhere the Shrine Maiden could go, with the aim to have the girl and a safe bodyguard chilling in the school. At the very least there's no way for the girl to end up Killered tonight unless we move her horizontal. So let's not do that.

And now that I think it over, if the girl get's murdered by the Boy Student, then we know he's the Killer, which means the Cop must be the conspiracy theorist, and the Office Worker is just a Person, and we know all the roles. (Similarly we know everything if it turns out the Cop is the Killer.) So let's see if we can't arrange a lock in at the school tomorrow, and have the cop cover the shrine. With all three of those covered, we need fear no shrine maiden. Day 4 we can just blow all our Forbid Movement cards to great effect.

A: Horizontal Move on Boy Student
B: Horizontal Move on Police Officer
C: Vertical Move on Girl Student

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is the decisive turn. Do the players now know the full set of roles for certain? If not, it may be wiser to play for information rather than tragedy prevention.
This would have been true if it wasn't the last loop. If you don't prevent the tragedy now, you have lost. Also note that you don't get a final guess while playing a "First Steps" script. It does no longer matter how you lose.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
As much as I would almost rather prefer playing another Forbid Intrigue here, I can't think of a sure-fire way of keeping the Girl Student safe while playing that card without blowing a couple Forbid Movements too. I'm going to go along with the Buddy System plan and hope the Boy Student isn't going to gently caress us over.

Deck A - Vertical Movement on Girl Student
Deck B - Horizontal Movement on Boy Student
Deck C - Horizontal Movement on Police Officer

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Okay, so I think that, whether the Killer is the Office Worker or the Boy Student, by not playing an Intrigue +1 on them this turn the Mastermind is locked out of the Killer's 4 intrigue ability. That's one less thing to worry about.

The remaining threats are the same two ways of killing the Girl Student that we've been dealing with: her being alone with the Shrine Maiden, or her having 2 intrigue in the same location as the Killer. I think the Mastermind's best play might be to once again make both threats immediately active: by moving the Conspiracy Theorist to the same location as the Killer, their abilities would work together to kill the Girl Student if she ends up with them. At the same time, by moving the Doctor away from the Shrine, the Shrine Maiden becomes a threat once again. So, with the assumption that the Office Worker is the Killer, I think the Mastermind's card on the Doctor is probably a Horizontal Movement.

Because of that, the card on the Girl Student is most likely an Intrigue +1. The Mastermind only has one of each movement card, so he couldn't make her move to the City along with the Doctor. Getting her to 2 intrigue today would make the final day more dangerous for her.

The card on the Shrine Maiden is where things get more tricky. It could be a Vertical Movement, which would cover our most likely escape route for the Girl Student. It could also be a bluff. On its own, that's a 50/50 chance of losing, but there's a few moves we could make to avoid it.

A: Vertical Movement on Shrine Maiden
B: Forbid Intrigue on Girl Student
C: Vertical Movement on Office Worker

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Crystalgate posted:

This would have been true if it wasn't the last loop. If you don't prevent the tragedy now, you have lost. Also note that you don't get a final guess while playing a "First Steps" script. It does no longer matter how you lose.

Ah, I forgot that's the rule on First Steps. Ok, best not to risk losing then! :v:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
This is sorta meta-reasoning, but it would make a sort of poetic symmetry for the two possible killers to each have a different area they aren't allowed to go to, especially for the very first beginner scenario. For this reason as well as the Mastermind's plays at the end of the previous loop I think it's more likely that the Killer is the Office Worker than the Boy Student.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's surprising to me that we haven't yet managed to activate a Goodwill power.

A: +2 Goodwill on Office Worker
B: Horizontal Movement on Girl Student
C: Vertical Movement on Doctor

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Card Resolution Phase

Police Officer: [A] Horizontal Movement

The Police Officer decides he can’t get any investigating done with everyone moving in and out of the Hospital, and heads over to the Shrine.

Doctor: (M) Horizontal Movement

His lunch break over, the Doctor heads back to the Hospital.

Shrine Maiden: [M] Vertical Movement

The Shrine is getting a little too crowded for her tastes. The Shrine Maiden heads over to the School.

Boy Student: (B) Horizontal Movement

The Boy Student remembers some homework he forgot to hand in, and heads back to School.

Girl Student: [C] Vertical Movement, [M] Intrigue + 1

The Girl Student wonders why so many people seem to be following her on her way to School. She convinces herself it’s just her imagination.

Current state of board

Hospital

Doctor

Office Worker

Shrine

Police Officer – 1 Paranoia

City

School

Boy Student

Shrine Maiden

Girl Student – 2 Intrigue

Mastermind Phase

Nothing happens. If the Mastermind has any applicable abilities, he has elected not to use them this turn.

Goodwill Phase

None of the characters have enough Goodwill to trigger their Goodwill Abilities yet. Goodwill Phase skipped.

Incident Phase

A light rain falls on the city, bringing a little respite from the oppressive heat.

The conditions for today’s Incident to take place were not met. The Suicide does not occur.

Day End Phase

Nothing happens at the end of the day.

Loop Number – 3
Day – 4

Current state of board

Hospital

Doctor

Office Worker

Shrine

City

School

Boy Student

Shrine Maiden

Current state of cards

The Mastermind has used up their Intrigue + 2 card.

Player A has used up their Paranoia – 1 card.

Mastermind cards

One card played on Shrine Maiden, one card played on Boy Student, one card played on Girl Student

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Well, the girl's survived the night at the murder threshold with the boy student, so he's almost certainly safe. The mastermind hasn't played cards on anyone outside the school, so the killer's not getting into the school next turn unless we move them there. So long as the two students stay where they belong, everything should be fine.

Forbid Movement on Boy Student
Forbid Movement on Girl Student

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well if we survived one night like this, we can survive another, and this is the last day so no reason to hold back any limited cards.

Forbid Movement on Everyone in the School
And Some extra lines here so it isn't
obvious what I've done from the outside

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

So long as we don't do anything stupid, we have this in the bag, I think.

Deck A - Forbid Movement on Girl Student
Deck B - Forbid Movement on Boy Student
Deck C - Forbid Movement on Shrine Maiden

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Card Resolution Phase

Shrine Maiden [M] Paranoia + 1, [A] Forbid Movement

Girl Student [M] Diagonal Movement, (B) Forbid Movement

Boy Student [M[ Vertical Movement, [C] Forbid Movement

A sudden thunderstorm hits the school, trapping all within it for the next few hours. A few tempers rise as a result of this, but nothing much else of note happens.

Current state of board

Hospital

Doctor

Office Worker

Shrine

City

School

Boy Student

Shrine Maiden – 1 Paranoia

Mastermind Phase

Nothing happens. If the Mastermind has any applicable abilities, he has elected not to use them this turn.

Goodwill Phase

None of the characters have enough Goodwill to trigger their Goodwill Abilities yet. Goodwill Phase skipped.

Incident Phase

No Incidents were scheduled for today.

Day End Phase

The Time Spiral wobbles once more, then resumes spinning, corrected back to the proper course of history. As the worst of the storm fades and the students begin to leave, three individuals smile tiredly to themselves as they fade away. For they have won a battle, but not yet the war…

Postscript

Main Plot – Murder Plan
Subplot – Shadow of the Ripper

Cast:
Boy Student – Person
Girl Student – Key Person
Shrine Maiden – Serial Killer
Police Officer – Conspiracy Theorist
Office Worker – Killer
Doctor – Brain

Day 2 Murder Incident Culprit – Office Worker
Day 2 Suicide Incident Culprit – Girl Student

The Girl Student overhead a shady deal between the Office Worker and the Doctor in the City one day. She immediately fled the scene, and while she’s sure she wasn’t noticed, the worry and fear gnaws at her mind.

She was, in fact, noticed. The Doctor ordered the Office Worker to eliminate her, but doubtful of his ability to get the job done, has hired a slightly more indiscriminate killer as a backup plan. He’s not too worried about collateral damage, as long as all the evidence is covered up. And with the police force eating out of the palm of his hand, there’s no way they’ll ever catch on…

Congratulations to all players on stabilizing the flow of time! The next scenario will start up in a day or two. It’ll probably be a bit more challenging than this first one, so hopefully by now everyone’s got a good idea of how the game works.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 16, 2018

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Congratulations!

Here's what my handbook says about the story:
"A girl has learned a secret. And to silence her, some organization has sent out an assassin to get her. There's also a serial killer in town and a confused police officer, which makes things worse. Do you think you will be able to defend the young girl?"

My version is far less a story and more a description. To make sense of it, I'm going to assume that the idea is that in day five, she summons up the courage to tell the secret and that it's the silencing of the secret that is the tragedy. Otherwise it makes no sense that the death of the girl student is a tragedy, but not the death of the boy student. Not that I think this game is too terrible concerned with the story.

Anyway, I played this scenario as the mastermind and in loop 2, the protagonists feed the killer to the serial killer. Not surprisingly, lost that loop.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Killing everyone except the important people is a surprisingly good Protagonist strategy

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
And arranging the two bad guys to accidentally kill each other is peak Time Travel Mastery.

By the way, I played Time Stories for the first time last week, which tried to be a fully co-op version of this. It was poo poo.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh man, this looks pretty rad.

I'm not sure how much fun it'd be to play, but it's definitely fun to watch.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
For our next game, we’re skipping ahead a bit. Since I think everyone here has gotten the hang of it, we’re skipping the other First Steps script and straight to the first Basic Tragedy Script.

Now that we’ve moved on to Basic Tragedy, the powerful Final Guess is in play. Even if the players lose every single loop, they win if they can correctly guess the Role of every character on the board at the end of the game. Sometimes, if you think you can’t win a loop, it may be more efficient to play towards losing on purpose, just to figure out your exact loss conditions.

Tragedy Set – Basic Tragedy
Days/Loop – 6
No. of Loops – 4 (extra points for you if you win in 3 or less)
Incidents – Foul Evil on day 3, Increasing Unease on day 4, Suicide on day 6

Initial Setup

Hospital

Nurse

Patient

Shrine

Shrine Maiden

City

Police Officer

Office Worker

Informer

School

Boy Student

Girl Student

Class Rep

Mastermind cards – One card played on Patient, one card played on Office Worker, one card played on Class Rep

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Congratulations to all of us for saving the girl!

As we're on Basic Tragedy, I suppose we're dealing with one main plot and two subplots.

Potential main plots:
Murder Plan (lose if key person dies or Killer accumulates 4 Intrigue)
Sealed Item (lose if at least 2 Intrigue on the Shrine at the end of the loop - our third-day incident 'Foul Evil' places 2 Intrigue on the Shrine)
Sign with me! (key person is a girl, lose if she dies or has 2 Intrigue by the loop's end)
Change of Future (lose if 'Butterfly Effect' occurs or Time Traveller has less than 2 Goodwill by the end of the loop - 'Butterfly Effect' is an Incident and isn't listed on the card, so I don't think it can be this one)
Giant Time Bomb (lose if at least 2 Intrigue on the Witch's start location by the end of the loop)

Regardless of main plot, there's an additional loss condition if the subplot 'A Love Affair' is in play: the Loved One gets at least 3 Paranoia and 1 Intrigue.

As a point of interest, the patient is guaranteed to stay in the hospital for this entire game; the only way he can leave is if the doctor lets him, and there's no doctor. So the mastermind isn't trying to move him by playing a card on him, and they're not trying to forbid goodwill; he doesn't have a goodwill ability. They're increasing either his paranoia or his intrigue. Key person, maybe? Culprit of an incident? Intrigue's more dangerous because we can't remove it, although I don't know whether the mastermind would tip their hand this early by jumping straight to intrigue on the key person. (You could also ask 'would Inadequately go with a Murder Plan script again?', considering that that's the only script where a male key person is possible.)

Forbid Intrigue on Patient
Goodwill +2 on Nurse
Goodwill +1 on Shrine Maiden

Rith fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 16, 2018

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I just noticed there's one more sneaky potential loss condition: the Unknown Factor X subplot. If there's 2 intrigue on the City, the Factor gets the Key Person effect.

A: Goodwill +2 on Shrine Maiden
B: Goodwill +2 on Informer
C: Goodwill +2 on Police Officer

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

I think the best thing we can do for now is to try to get some information flowing.

Goodwill +2 on Shrine Maiden
Goodwill +2 on Office Worker
Goodwill +2 on Informer

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Hey maybe this time we can try being nice to people instead of just pushing them around.

A: +1 Goodwill on Office Worker
B: +1 Goodwill on Informer
C: +2 Goodwill on Shrine Maiden

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Card Resolution Phase

Office Worker: [M] Paranoia + 1

The Office Worker can’t find his favourite pen. It’s not a big deal, he was just sure he put it down a moment ago, and is a little annoyed about it.

Class Rep: [M] Paranoia + 1

The Class Rep is sure someone has been spreading rumors about her recently. Other girls keep giving her funny looks when she walks past, and she’s almost certain she knows who’s to blame.

Patient: [M] Paranoia + 1

The Patient wakes up in the middle of the night one evening to see a bearded old doctor winking at him as he tucks away a scalpel. When he informs the nurses the next day, they tell him no one of that description has ever worked at the Hospital.

Shrine Maiden: [A] Goodwill + 2
Informer: (B) Goodwill + 2
Nurse: [C] Goodwill + 2

In a stunning display of generosity, the Protagonists treat the Shrine Maiden, Informer and Nurse to lavish meals, claiming they ‘just happened’ to have won a free dinner. A significant chunk of their resources are wiped out, but their esteem rises considerably in several eyes.

Current state of board

Hospital

Nurse – 2 Goodwill

Patient – 1 Intrigue

Shrine

Shrine Maiden – 2 Goodwill

City

Police Officer

Office Worker – 1 Paranoia

Informer – 2 Goodwill

School

Boy Student

Girl Student

Class Rep – 1 Paranoia

Mastermind Phase

Goodwill Phase

The Nurse has enough Goodwill to activate their Goodwill ability. However, there are no other Panicked characters in the same location, and it is thus inapplicable on this turn.

No other characters have enough Goodwill to activate their Goodwill abilities. Goodwill Phase skipped.

Incident Phase

No Incidents are scheduled for Day 1 of this Loop.

Day End Phase

Loop Number – 1
Day – 2
Scheduled Incident - None

Current state of board

Hospital

Nurse – 2 Goodwill

Patient – 1 Intrigue

Shrine

Shrine Maiden – 2 Goodwill

City

Police Officer

Office Worker – 1 Paranoia

Informer – 2 Goodwill

School

Boy Student

Girl Student

Class Rep – 1 Paranoia

Mastermind cards

One card played on Office Worker, one card played on Informer, one card played on Class Rep

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Hm, on future loops it might actually be better to focus our Goodwill +2 cards on a single character over multiple days. It's fine this time though, we really have no idea what's going to happen or how long this loop will last.

There's a couple situations in which intrigue on the Patient could be relevant, but I don't think it's useful information yet.

A: Goodwill +1 on Shrine Maiden
B: Goodwill +1 on Informer
C: Goodwill +1 on Class Rep

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Out of curiosity, how do you decide which prompt to take from the earliest reply when there's no dominant vote? In a case like this, where only two of the options were valid, do you just flip a coin?

(Something we as players might need to bear in mind: two people tried to play Goodwill on the Office Worker, but it didn't go through, presumably because one person played Goodwill +1 and one person played Goodwill +2. Co-ordinating the goodwill amounts we try to give out might be tricky, though, given that we can't say the specific cards we're playing.)

Goodwill +1 on Informer
Goodwill +1 on Office Worker

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Not really sure what good the nurse ability does us at this time. In the first loop I think we'd want to see the incidents occur, so we can figure out who the culprit is, right? Can either of the early incidents end the loop(not just ensure our failure, but stop us from gathering more info this loop), or just the Suicide?

A: +1 Goodwill Office Worker
B: +1 Goodwill Shrine Maiden
C: +1 Goodwill Informer

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

ZiegeDame posted:

Not really sure what good the nurse ability does us at this time. In the first loop I think we'd want to see the incidents occur, so we can figure out who the culprit is, right?

You're absolutely right: my poor judgement, I'm afraid. We had so little information that I just latched on to 'the patient's getting either paranoia or intrigue' and tried to counter both possibilities, and unfortunately the play that got chosen was the one that doesn't do us much good. I realised later I was being silly and considered editing to change that one, but it seemed unsporting when I'd looked at all the plays since.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Can either of the early incidents end the loop(not just ensure our failure, but stop us from gathering more info this loop), or just the Suicide?

Foul Evil won't end the loop early, but Increasing Unease could potentially trigger the Killer if they end up with 4 Intrigue, or the Loved One if they end up with 3 Paranoia and 1 Intrigue. If either of those happen, then we know for certain that Murder Plan or Love Affair, respectively, are active because those roles only show up in one (sub)plot each.

Goodwill +1 on Informer

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Card Resolution Phase

Office Worker: [M] Paranoia + 1, [A] Goodwill + 1

The Office Worker still can’t find his favourite pen, and is getting rather upset. Luckily, one of the Protagonists happens to have a very similar one on them.

Class Rep: [M] Intrigue + 1

The Class Rep opens up her homework and finds a hastily scrawled note stating ‘GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN’. It does not match the handwriting of anyone she knows.

Shrine Maiden: (B) Goodwill + 1

The Protagonists stop by the Shrine and compliment the Shrine Maiden’s dress. She appreciates it.

Informer [M] Forbid Goodwill, [C] Goodwill + 1

The Protagonists stop by the Informer’s office, but she’s out working on a case.

Current state of board

Hospital

Nurse – 2 Goodwill

Patient – 1 Intrigue

Shrine

Shrine Maiden – 3 Goodwill

City

Police Officer

Office Worker – 2 Paranoia, 1 Goodwill

Informer – 2 Goodwill

School

Boy Student

Girl Student

Class Rep – 1 Paranoia, 1 Intrigue

Mastermind Phase

Goodwill Phase

The Nurse has enough Goodwill to activate their Goodwill ability. However, there are no other Panicked characters in the same location, and it is thus inapplicable on this turn.

The Shrine Maiden has enough Goodwill to activate their first Goodwill ability. However, there is no Intrigue on the Shrine, and it is thus inapplicable on this turn.

No other characters have enough Goodwill to activate their Goodwill abilities. Goodwill Phase skipped.

Incident Phase

No Incidents are scheduled for Day 2 of this Loop.

Day End Phase

Loop Number – 1
Day – 3
Scheduled Incident – Foul Evil

Current state of board

Hospital

Nurse – 2 Goodwill

Patient – 1 Intrigue

Shrine

Shrine Maiden – 3 Goodwill

City

Police Officer

Office Worker – 2 Paranoia, 1 Goodwill

Informer – 2 Goodwill

School

Boy Student

Girl Student

Class Rep – 1 Paranoia, 1 Intrigue

Current state of cards

All Players have used up their Goodwill +2 card.

Mastermind cards

One card played on Nurse, one card played on Office Worker, one card played on Shrine Maiden

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Probably don't have to worry about this incidents, let's keep the friendship train rolling.

A: +1 Goodwill Shrine Maiden
B: +1 Goodwill Informer
C: +1 Goodwill Office Worker

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

If the Mastermind is playing for one of the end-of-loop loss conditions, then we have 4 card plays including this one. I think we might be able to force the Mastermind's hand a little bit to get some information.

A: Goodwill +1 on Informer
B: Goodwill +1 on Class Rep
C: Goodwill +1 on Shrine Maiden

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

This incident won't end the loop immediately, so we can just focus on greasing some palms.

Goodwill +1 on Informer

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I think the real answer is that the protagonists after their victory decided gently caress it party time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve been enjoying following along. Keep up the good work!

• Locked thread