Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Several small children this week told me I draw really well and must have studied art. They're completely wrong on both counts, but it was nice of them to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wrote a few dumb lines of a dumb Trogdor parody when the political cartoon my avatar is from was posted in the D&D politoons thread, and someone liked it enough to spend time making an avatar of it and spend actual money giving it to me.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Multiple people tell me that they love my hugs.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
"Nobody ever made me feel like this before"

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

twoday posted:

"Nobody ever made me feel like this before"

This is very special.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

More weird than favourite but my dentist told me when I was like 14-15 that I 'have the jaw muscles of a Greek god'

(a subtle hint that he thought I was grinding my teeth in my sleep maybe?)

But for serious, when my pupils in china started referring to me as 'teacher' (well, the mandarin equivalent I've since forgotten) rather than 'laowai'

Edit; I looked it up and it was Lǎoshī as I thought but gently caress if I'm ever going to be confident in Chinese transliteration so wasn't even going to attempt it really.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 02:53 on May 7, 2018

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

My advisor called my cohort and me guinea pigs. Her reasoning was that guinea pigs have been incredibly important in research, so it's a term of endearment in her mind and I love it.

I also have a friend who tells me she loves my weirdness.

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
i was once told i have a nice rear end and this is now an important part of my identity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

On-line: "En todos los sentidos, tu eres awesome!" for some Mandatory Fun Day edits I did on The Daily WTF way back when. I guess they thought I was Spanish-speaking.

In IRL life: "Your arse is so soft!"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bone napoleon posted:

i was once told i have a nice rear end and this is now an important part of my identity.

:same:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The most recent really memorable one was “he’s like, one of the only men I feel safe around.” I appreciate it because I’ve put in a lot of work over the years to be less of a lovely person and less of a creep

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

"The better you are at your job the more annoying you become."

It's so true. I can't stop talking.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

" You'd make a great cartoon super villain. I don't think you'd ever hurt anyone, but you're that perfect combination of calculating, mischievous, and creative. "

It was a strange compliment, but I found it endearing, perhaps because it was so sincere. I've since tried to embrace inconsequential villainy to some extent.

Intoluene posted:

Multiple people tell me that they love my hugs.

I too, have gotten this. It makes you feel great, huh?

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Aug 17, 2018

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

" You'd make a great cartoon super villain. I don't think you'd ever hurt anyone, but you're that perfect combination of calculating, mischievous, and creative. "

It was a strange compliment, but I found it strangely endearing, perhaps because it was so sincere. I've since tried to embrace inconsequential villainy to some extent.

I too, have gotten this. It makes you feel great, huh?

It really does. If one of the girls at work has a bad day, she comes to me for a hug.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I literally cannot remember the last time someone said something complimentary/nice about me to me. I’m so glad this thread popped up with unread posts so I’d click on it without looking at the title, and have this brought to the front of my mind.

A woman once told me she wanted to gently caress my voice after I sang a song. I thought that was a good one, but I just realized the the implication is that she didn’t want to gently caress the rest of me.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Can we say compliments our dog has received? He has received so many and he can't post.

To clarify, I receive the compliments about my dog, I would not be posting compliments directly given to him (good boy, etc.).

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never gotten a compliment that wasnt some generic-rear end "you seem kind of smart" back when i was in high school.

The closest i've got recently is when ppl have acted impressed at feats of physical strength that i've done. Like when i lift up a bunch of stackable bread pallets and take them to the back. I lift with my legs, not my back. People are like "Dang, Blue Star. You strong".

Yeah i am, motherfucker. I am.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
One of my co-workers once said "When I'm older, I'm going to have to start dressing like you."
Then he got really embarrassed and explained that he didn't mean I dressed like an old person, he meant that he dressed like a teenager and thought my look was grown-up and stylish. It was quite adorable.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
(A text message)
"You are the star in the darkness of my life."

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Years ago I was outside of a local dive bar smoking when a woman walked up and asked me for a cigarette. She was older and looked like she had seen some poo poo, and shared as much as we smoked. Finishing my own cig, I excused myself and began to step inside when she asked me if I wanted to take a lady home for the night. In the same breath, she then said "nah, you're too pretty to pay for it."

That remains the nicest thing a woman has ever said to me.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
One of my regulars at work told me that seeing me brightens her day, and she brought me a mug from Tennessee. Totally made my day, because the mug means she was thinking of me when she was travelling.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I've begun transitioning from male to female, and I was at a cheap clearance store near the border here in Arizona. I was just in a tank top and some jeans with my nails done, but an older woman came up and told me "Nińa, we have faldas for just 3 dollars over here you should try."

It's simple, but it made me happy.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
I was told I was good at telling the story, in the context of a job that involves talking to groups. It's great because I often feel a bit self-conscious about whether I'm boring people in like, typical day-to-day conversation. Apparently I am engaging.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

"You're kind of cute I guess" - a stripper giving me a $40 lap dance

impossirrel
Jul 6, 2018

Blast my cache!
Two summers ago I was renting out the garage of a long-time family friend’s home, whom I had also worked for throughout high school. He had 4 German shepherds. One night, the youngest of them (I think around 4 years old) passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly due to some kind of heart complication. At about 1 AM (about 10 minutes after I had laid down in bed after working a double shift at the gas station up the road) I heard him yelling outside my window. I ran outside to find him on the ground under his dog. He had recently had both hips replaced and had fallen down trying to carry the non-responsive dog to his truck.

I picked the dog up and lifted him into the front seat of the truck (it was a bench-style seat) and our neighbor (who happened to be a nurse and had come outside hearing the noise) began trying to resuscitate the dog. After a while, it became clear that it was too late. I spent the next couple of hours sitting with my landlord and his wife and daughter and just listening to them talk about what a good dog he had been, and how it wasn’t fair that he had been taken away so soon.

At about 5 AM, I decided that I should get the dog out of there before he began to smell or flies began to circle him or anything else that would be horrifying for his owners to have to see. I told my landlord that I would drive him to the nearest animal hospital and wait there until they opened to figure out the next steps (autopsy perhaps, cremation, etc).

Because he took up so much of the seat (and was stiff as a board at that point), I had to endure the 20 minute drive with his lifeless head squarely in my lap. Every so often I would swear I saw his chest heave or his leg twitch and I would nearly swerve off the road in an exhausted fit of paranoia. I arrived at the animal hospital and waited 3 hours for them to open, sitting with his head still in my lap, too afraid of falling asleep to lay down in the backseat of the truck and too emotionally drained to think to just get out and stand in the parking lot. Only one vet tech arrived to open the hospital, so I had to help him carry the dog inside after he smartly covered him with a sheet.

The rest of the time at the vet, filling out paperwork and making decisions about the cremation, took about an hour. By the time I left, I had just enough time to vacuum and shampoo the seats and carpet of the truck, go to my girlfriend’s house to grab my spare uniform, and get back to work for my 10-5 shift.

My landlord and his family were very appreciative when I got back that night for the 3 or 4 minutes I spoke to them before passing out on the couch, but the one compliment that I remember actually came a year later. I was visiting home again, having moved to another state after my sophomore year of college, and went to see my old landlord, boss, and friend with my parents. He brought up that night kind of out of the blue, and said to my dad “he’s kind of a hero to us for what he did for us, I don’t know what we would have done if he wasn’t here.”

This was a man I had looked up to since I was a kid, the man that used to take me fishing and bring me on vacation with his wife and kids (two of my closest friends), the man who gave me my first job, the man who gave me a place to live when my parents had to move out of state and I was staying behind for school, the man I considered like a second father and who had always treated me like family. A man who survived brain cancer, two hip replacements, and a heart attack all in 5 years, all the while running his own company, and who continues to battle a mountain of medical issues without ever accepting pain medication. A hero if I’ve ever met one. To hear him say that meant more to me than I could ever explain.

He texted me about a week ago on the anniversary of his dog’s departure (I believe Facebook reminded him) to thank me again, and I wish I could begin to describe to him how small what I did feels in comparison to all the kindness, guidance, and love he’s shown to me all my life.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A girl told me I have nice feet for a guy and she was barely drunk at all

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"You know, [other friends] and I were just chatting the other day, and we noticed that we never have anything but praise for you, but don't really say it to your face. You don't really leave yourself open to receiving compliments, but I want you to know we think the world of you."

Completely unprompted, from a friend I'd never told about my social anxiety. Those two sentences did more for my self-esteem than years of therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"You know, [other friends] and I were just chatting the other day, and we noticed that we never have anything but praise for you, but don't really say it to your face. You don't really leave yourself open to receiving compliments, but I want you to know we think the world of you."

Completely unprompted, from a friend I'd never told about my social anxiety. Those two sentences did more for my self-esteem than years of therapy.

That’s really cool and speaks volumes to how you come off to other people. A close friend of mine who was always a sarcastic jerk (in a good way) looked at me like I was an idiot when I was in college and told him I was depressed and feeling aimless and said “do you not see how people react to you? I have never seen someone not love you” and I still think back on that today if I’m feeling down

• Locked thread