Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
My primary operating system is Mac OS, but I do increasingly work on a Windows partition (because Solidworks won't make a loving mac version). I'm a bit of a dinosaur in that I still buy music rather than stream it, and I've got a heft 350+Gb folder of music on my mac side. My question is is there a piece of software I can use to read the Mac folder on Windows, so I can listen to terrible jazz fusion albums while I work? The folder is organised by iTunes on the mac side, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cymbal Monkey posted:

My primary operating system is Mac OS, but I do increasingly work on a Windows partition (because Solidworks won't make a loving mac version). I'm a bit of a dinosaur in that I still buy music rather than stream it, and I've got a heft 350+Gb folder of music on my mac side. My question is is there a piece of software I can use to read the Mac folder on Windows, so I can listen to terrible jazz fusion albums while I work? The folder is organised by iTunes on the mac side, for reference.

Theoretically, most media players should be able to do what you want, as long as Windows can see your macOS partition. So that's the place to start; can Windows see the macOS partition?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I'm pretty sure i was able to just read the music library on the mac partition from bootcamp when I did this, no real extra setup or anything involved

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I can't set up iTunes to read it without causing problems, what's good in Windows music players?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm lame, I just use windows media player. Lets me load up a ton of stuff, play it on looped random. :shrug: Easy to add from other partitions/network locations too.

Any specific features you'd want though?

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
I still like to use foobar https://www.foobar2000.org/ .

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm lame, I just use windows media player. Lets me load up a ton of stuff, play it on looped random. :shrug: Easy to add from other partitions/network locations too.

Any specific features you'd want though?

Mostly just robust library organization.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I've always liked J River Media Center, but it costs money. There's a Mac version too, but you need a (more expensive) master licence to run both Windows + Mac versions.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
How often do you reorg your library?

Personally, I just duplicated my iTunes library, copied it to my Windows install, then updated the file paths on that library.
It gets out of date compared to the Mac library, but I don't find that to be an issue.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

~Coxy posted:

How often do you reorg your library?

Personally, I just duplicated my iTunes library, copied it to my Windows install, then updated the file paths on that library.
It gets out of date compared to the Mac library, but I don't find that to be an issue.

I'm adding three or four new albums a week so this would be wildly impractical.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Fair enough then.

It costs money, but an iCloud Music Library subscription is probably the easiest option.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I went with Google Music because MacOS and Windows have different ideas on implementing Unicode and thus it never works.

That's a lot of music though and something like a Syno NAS with their streaming music player may be more practical, well outside of running Parallels on MacOS.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

(1)Would it make sense to just make a partition just for your music that's exfat and can be mounted on both?
(2)Would it work to use some other computer to run a media server to house the majority of your music?

I have most of my stuff on an external drive that mounts to Linux and Windows. It works pretty good for me, I also how a few old computers sitting around running filesharing that I mostly use to stream movies and house files that my friends can go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

nesamdoom posted:

(1)Would it make sense to just make a partition just for your music that's exfat and can be mounted on both?
(2)Would it work to use some other computer to run a media server to house the majority of your music?

I have most of my stuff on an external drive that mounts to Linux and Windows. It works pretty good for me, I also how a few old computers sitting around running filesharing that I mostly use to stream movies and house files that my friends can go through.

I've thought about a third partition but it seems like a lot of hassle as my music library slowly takes over my entire hard drive. The media server is also something I've thought about but then I completely lose portability and I don't have my library when I travel.

• Locked thread