Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Calling it "The Terror" probably confused some network exec who assumed it was supposed to be about scary monsters. I don't know how else they could have taken what could have been a really cool, real history story about a stranded ship and a possible polar bear attack and turned it into the mess it ended up as.

The monster element is in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think I'd have stuck around beyond the third episode if the monster hadn't shown up.

Show has a lot of other things going for it, but those early episodes are achingly slow. Also monsters are cool as gently caress, though I think Tuuny could have afforded to be cooler.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Pick posted:

I watched The Terror season 1, and I have to say, it was okay, but was clearly inspired by Ravenous and Hannibal and isn't quite as good as either (and this from someone who isn't that fond of Hannibal, but the cinematography is stellar, and the coherency is a little better). There's a lot of Colonel Ives energy in Hartley and how he's played, and it doesn't quite match up to Robert Carlisle's performance of a similar character type. Still, I'd gladly lump it in with them for a number of reasons, and it's a narrow genre I'm very fond of.

The timeline needed to be represented in a more integrated way, and the sound mixing is rough (I needed closed captions), and by the end there's a tremendous amount of moon logic.

The "Tuunbaq" (turn back! :imunfunny: ) desperately needed to be re-named, or better yet, not pointlessly be in the series.

I agree that actual Eskimo deity should have been renamed or removed for your viewing pleasure of this story about an Eskimo deity tearing apart Englishmen.

Pretty much the only thing you are right about is the sound/dialogue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the sound capture was pretty dodgy in both seasons, I thought. Lots of weird crunchy echoes everywhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hasselblad posted:

I agree that actual Eskimo deity should have been renamed or removed for your viewing pleasure of this story about an Eskimo deity tearing apart Englishmen.

Pretty much the only thing you are right about is the sound/dialogue.

There's no such thing as a Tuunbaq in Inuit myth, Dan Simmons made that sucker up. So you can call it something that doesn't sound like "turn back!" being phoned in super hard.

And the last episode in specific emulates so many pieces of Ravenous almost wholesale that it made me assume that they just thought no one who would watch a movie about old timey imperialist white men eating each other would ever watch a miniseries about old timey imperialist white men eating each other.

They even did the "person outside of Catholicism relates it to Catholicism" bit, only the Terror dragged it on much longer to much less effect. And the "silent Native woman who is like 'woah poo poo some stuff is loving going down' and nevertheless warns them they're all doomed as gently caress and she couldn't stop it if she wanted to". Also "bad guy applies gratuitous Jesus imagery to himself in the very final stretch for ??? reasons". "Last guy butchered and eaten is the doctor." ... Heck, did Simmons just put Ravenous on history boats? When was that written?

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also to be fair, the boat-stuck-in-ice anxiety didn't land very hard for me either, since I was already pretty familiar with the Franklin expedition and other shipwrecks comparably bad. Batavia, Medusa, Essex, etc. It's something I enjoy reading about so that part was somewhat old hat, though it was nice to apply some visuals to it.