Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

O

X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
M
N
O X
P

Z
Y
X X
W

Entropy writes up the reports.

My paperwork is an extension of my thoughts. As I expand my paperwork, so do I myself expand.

(Entropy II's 'Keeper of Gardens' ability increases to 2!)
('The World, Like Clay' becomes easier to use!)
(He gains the power to claim a new Garden!)
(He gains the 'Guardian' power!)

Natalia holds up a fork in front of her face.

I anticipate my own action...

She imagines the motion of the fork as she rotates it. She performs the movement she imagined.

She sees the fork falling to the table. She drops it, and the motion is exactly as she imagined.

She focuses her mind and looks up at her parents. She can see every motion they make before it happens.

(Natalia loses her never used 'Frozen Heart'!)
(Natalia Koutolika's 'The Ace' ability increases to 4!)
('Determination' becomes easier to use!)

(You may note that we've never used 'Determination'. This is because up to this point, it's been the same price as 'Anime Moment', but isn't as useful!)

(Jasper Irinka regains 1 MP!)
(Seizhi Schwan regains 1 MP!)
(Rinley Yatskaya regains 1 MP!)
(Natalia Koutolika regains 1 MP!)

(Updated the character sheets for possibly the last time.)

Epilogue

Chuubo extends himself through the doors of the temple, testing his ability to stretch his body. He tries to hear the wishes that are being called to him. Outside Dust is drawn towards his body, and starts to coalesce into new clumps of matter.

Miramie Mesmer is in the Outside. She tries to hear the wishes that are being called to her. She keeps flying, desperate to take the dragon as far as possible. The region is not as it once was. Seizhi's deeds have brought changes. She may yet turn this to her advantage.

Leonardo De Montreal rules over the Nightmare World. His authority is respected, and his intelligence is focused on the problems they face. Sometimes he feels lonely, but he knows this won't last forever.

Jasper Irinka is searching for the way back to Celestia. She's always felt that the way was closed to her, but now she thinks she can hear it calling. She'll be able to take her mother with her, even if it won't be quite the same as it once was. But she will have to make sure she can find her way back.

Seizhi Schwan has been reborn, but he's starting to feel the old doubts gnawing at him. He's trying to work out if there's some sort of public position he can attain, such that everyone will know his name and his face.

Entropy II has delivered all the school reports. He's making plans for the next school year. But also, he's considering what careers advice he could give out. And perhaps he could offer some work experience opportunities.

Rinley Yatskaya is off on a hunting trip with Sessily. She's been able to use her yo-yo to bring down some clouds, a few trees, and also a star that was at a low altitude. She's thinking about setting up a trophy room.

Natalia Koutolika is preparing to make her way to Horizon Academy, to face Typhon once more. She knows that she's changed, and she feels that she must face her other self, to see what might be reflected there.

Life goes on.

(Tomorrow, final notes.)

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
Going from the book, I'd have each character traverse four arcs, with the later arcs requiring more XP to complete, but I think I'd prefer to stop here.

Possibly what I should have done with the XP was to begin with the assumption that each character was going to earn a certain amount of each type of XP, then work out how they got it.

I also think I got too caught up in the fine details of expending Will/MP. Rather than giving out so many choices resolving around expenditure of resources, it might have been better to focus more on big character decisions.

In the case of Chuubo:

The 'cornerstone of reality' issue didn't get resolved because that's meant to be addressed in his fourth arc.

The Fey world isn't in the original book, but I added it as a mirror of Leonardo's Nightmare World.

Chuubo is meant to change into a giant snake rather than a dragon, by default, but I kept mis-remembering it as a dragon transformation, and that tied into the dragon theme.

In the case of Miramie:

I don't think I put enough emphasis on her curse (the thing giving her headaches). Not completely sure how I should have addressed that.

In the case of Leonardo:

Leonardo's storyline was supposed to be about the Nightmare World, but the choices steered it in the direction of Jade Irinka instead.

In the case of Jasper:

She almost finished her 'Mortal Life' side quest. I was considering squeezing that in at the end, but I decided there was enough else going on.

In the case of Seizhi:

I felt his 'Is This My Destiny?' ability was getting out of hand earlier on, but I ended up switching into hardly ever using it later.

I don't think the conclusion of his story tied into the conclusion of the overall story very well unfortunately.

In the case of Entropy:

I had some trouble at the end because he ended up being more about helping the other characters than having his own story, which meant that I didn't have so much to write about.

In the case of Rinley:

Similarly to Jasper, I thought I might squeeze in the completion of 'The World is Changing' but ended up not doing it.

One of the biggest problems I had was with Sessily. I never really worked out what she was like. I had this problem with the other supporting characters, but it was most noticeable in this case. I ultimately decided I wasn't going to be able to fix it and that I was just going to have to move on.

In the case of Natalia:

Didn't finish another side quest here, but in this case it's more noticeable, hence I brought up Typhon again at the end.

If I do another one of these (which isn't going to be any time soon, I need a break), I'll probably change a few things to speed up the pacing and focus more on the big decisions as described above.

I could continue and have the characters start on their second arcs, but I'd need to have a long think about where they're going.

Alternatively, I could use the second campaign book (when it comes out) but that has SIXTEEN characters (including return appearances from some of the original eight), meaning that I'd either to cut some or resign myself to an even bigger story.

Or perhaps I could do something completely different.

I don't think I can commit to another story that lasts more than one year. One trouble I had with this one was that my enthusiasm gradually waned, which made it a lot harder to keep going.

So in summary, if I do do another story, I'll want to complete it more quickly, doing it more in the style of the last two chapters.

Hopefully I've learnt something from all this...

Thanks to all participants.

So, any questions?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Thank you for running this game.

I enjoyed everyone's arcs.

I liked the way the last few updates went! I don't blame you for losing motivation for a long time it was just two posters. All the more amazing you finished and thank you.

I'd follow any other game you started so I hope you do another eventually!