Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Sounds good, I'll have to look into it. The jump from software to civil engineering might be a bit challenging though.

My background is in events, so if it was accessible to me it should work just fine for civil engineers. There were some fluff pieces ("This is how project management improved my career!") but most of it was very concrete and broken into logical steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

What project management software have you used and what were their pros and cons?

My organisation doesn't currently use any but it's becoming increasingly evident (at least to me) that Excel just doesn't cut it when managing ever larger and more time-constrained engineering consulting projects across multiple department boundaries.

Primavera P6:
Pros:
-incredibly detailed
-allows gnats rear end resource loading and ties into existing enterprise systems for labor rates
-lots of bells and whistles for analysis and reporting

Cons:
-unnecessarily complex and requires specialized training to be halfway proficient at it (this is where my career basically started)
-lots of support needed on the back end for data management
-$$$$!

MS Project:
Pros:
-decent enough to build out resource loaded project schedules
-ties into rest of M$ ecosystem if that’s where your company is at
-straight forward UI

Cons:
-limited data tie ins to other systems
-can sometimes not be detailed enough

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also it’s really cool to see this thread still bopping about almost 5 years after I made it on a whim.

Carry on you poor souls!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Higgy posted:

Primavera P6:
Pros:
-incredibly detailed
-allows gnats rear end resource loading and ties into existing enterprise systems for labor rates
-lots of bells and whistles for analysis and reporting

Cons:
-unnecessarily complex and requires specialized training to be halfway proficient at it (this is where my career basically started)
-lots of support needed on the back end for data management
-$$$$!

MS Project:
Pros:
-decent enough to build out resource loaded project schedules
-ties into rest of M$ ecosystem if that’s where your company is at
-straight forward UI

Cons:
-limited data tie ins to other systems
-can sometimes not be detailed enough

Knowing how we've always left the planning functionality in our ERP untouched because they're "too difficult to use," babby's first project management software sounds like the way to go, especially since we use a lot of other MS products.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Did classes for PMP because work offered it. Now to do the application and actually take the test.

I'm gonna be real, on paper I don't think I would qualify to sit the exam. I'm a worker bee and always have been, I've never been given any leadership opportunities and anytime I've been assigned a project, I at best get assigned another person who I don't even want to bother and just do the whole thing myself. Anything I'd put on the application will be embellished. Hopefully my current job will also let me sit in on meetings, but I feel like that would be too little too late for me and I would again just be lying, and they also have to let me do this within the next 5 months because I'm moving then.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
When I took the exam what I did was take the practice test every morning at 7:30 and then study the stuff that I failed. Over a month or so everything came together and I passed.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

skooma512 posted:

Did classes for PMP because work offered it. Now to do the application and actually take the test.

I'm gonna be real, on paper I don't think I would qualify to sit the exam. I'm a worker bee and always have been, I've never been given any leadership opportunities and anytime I've been assigned a project, I at best get assigned another person who I don't even want to bother and just do the whole thing myself. Anything I'd put on the application will be embellished. Hopefully my current job will also let me sit in on meetings, but I feel like that would be too little too late for me and I would again just be lying, and they also have to let me do this within the next 5 months because I'm moving then.

If you've taken the PMP courses, but don't have the necessary hours to qualify for a PMP cert, you can instead take the CAPM cert, its like the junior G-Man version of the PMP and qill qualify you for the type of job that will qualify you for a full PMP.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

What’s the best practice test these days? I saw that PMI is selling one but that they also have some separate subscription thing that comes with a ton of practice questions. I’m eligible to take the exam anytime but I want to wait for my director of engineering to get back from leave in March, he’s the one pushing to have the company pay for it. So I’ve got some study time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I just did my third renewal so my stuff is way out of date. I'll ask around in my team and let you know what I find.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Through The Decade posted:

What’s the best practice test these days? I saw that PMI is selling one but that they also have some separate subscription thing that comes with a ton of practice questions. I’m eligible to take the exam anytime but I want to wait for my director of engineering to get back from leave in March, he’s the one pushing to have the company pay for it. So I’ve got some study time.

If your company will pay for it the one from PMI gave me questions that were extremely close to what was on the actual test. If your company won't pay for it then get an Udemy course that has a lot of reviews and has been recently updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Thoguh posted:

If your company will pay for it the one from PMI gave me questions that were extremely close to what was on the actual test. If your company won't pay for it then get an Udemy course that has a lot of reviews and has been recently updated.

Yeah, I fully agree with this post.

Used, https://www.udemy.com/course/pmbok-guide-7th-edition_pmp/, and them PMI test bank