Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

there's no such thing as an unobtrusive ad and if you willingly subject yourself to distracting ads while driving a 5000lb murder machine you're a loving retard

Who has a 2.5 ton car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

see also: any similarly-sized suv or truck

cars, like people, are fat as gently caress these days

(mine weighs 2450lb)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Schadenboner posted:

Who has a 2.5 ton car?

You live in waukesha. You should be seeing big gently caress off king ranch edition duallies all over the place.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cis autodrag posted:

You live in waukesha. You should be seeing big gently caress off king ranch edition duallies all over the place.

I work just behind Brookfield Square and live on the North Shore though?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Who has a 2.5 ton car?

lot of America

wtf does this even mean

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i love apple maps because it teaches me how to drive somewhere all by myself, and dig out a paper map instead. ya know, doing stuff the hard way like it should be. gently caress map apps that work like google maps and waze

this but unironically

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Schadenboner posted:

I work just behind Brookfield Square and live on the North Shore though?

You should be seeing poo poo loads of super fat trucks on your commute then. I used to commute the opposite direction and almost got crushed by trucks in my miata all the time.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

~Coxy posted:

to be fair, waze fucks this up too

I live on the pin and waze, despite knowing my "home" street address, sends me to the other cul-de-sac.

i think waze might still allow you to edit the map and submit it for review but lol at having to fully janitor your own maps

akadajet posted:

no. when you try to look at the app when an ad is up you have to dismiss the ad to get back the the UI.

and I don't like looking at ads.

apple maps doesn't get in the way, but it also doesn't alert me to cops.

i guess you could vpn through a pihole and then use it but at that point thats just being tedious to prove a point when there are other apps that wont advertise to you and will give you directions

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

see also: any similarly-sized suv or truck

cars, like people, are fat as gently caress these days

(mine weighs 2450lb)

it weird to think that 20+ years ago you could buy a honda or geo that got similar milage to a modern hybrid or diesel with a regular gasoline engine while not being particularly slow because they were so light. that's never going to happen again, mostly because hitting modern safety standards while staying lean isn't going to happen.

at least not without resorting to more expensive body materials like aluminum and carbon fiber

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

there's no such thing as an unobtrusive ad and if you willingly subject yourself to distracting ads while driving a 5000lb murder machine you're a loving retard

waze has a alert when u start it up to make sure the passenger is the only one that can use waze when the vehicle is in motion
therefore it is impossible as a driver to be in such a situation where you are distracted by waze when driving a death machine

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sagebrush posted:

It's really depressing to see these suburbs where the houses are all pushed out to the limits of the lot (gotta maximize that square footage!) instead of like cutting out the home theater room and fourth bedroom no one uses and having some semblance of a yard

it's not as bad as it looks

President Beep posted:

should've at least punched that drat road through. loving christ.

pretty sure that was the plan but the guy who owned the original lot next to me wouldn't sell

Agile Vector posted:

i think waze might still allow you to edit the map and submit it for review but lol at having to fully janitor your own maps

yeah tried that, didn't fix it
i think it uses the centroid of the block rather than where the address pin is

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

Who has a 2.5 ton car?

ur mom in a geo metro

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

ur mom in a geo metro

My mom drove an 03 Camry (which is like 3100-3400 lbs but it was a pretty basic Inline-4 model so I'm betting it was on the low side of that range) and she's dead and cremated so while I'm not sure what the total would be I suspect your estimate is somewhat high?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 11, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

My mom drove an 03 Camry (which is like 3100-3400 lbs but it was a pretty basic Inline-4 model so I'm betting it was on the low side of that range) and she's dead and cremated so while I'm not sure what the total would be I suspect your estimate is somewhat high?

oh...

erm...

I-

*cough*

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

oh...

erm...

I-

*cough*

Come to Milwaukee, bring a truck scale and a crowbar!

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Apple maps is pathetic. Worst of the bunch. No reason to use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple maps successfully navigated me from dc to Athens to Gainesville to Orlando without a hitch

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Endless Mike posted:

Apple maps successfully navigated me from dc to Athens to Gainesville to Orlando without a hitch

it’s really good at getting the state right

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

It took u to Athens, Greece when u just wanted to go to florida.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I HAVE GOUT posted:

It took u to Athens, Greece when u just wanted to go to florida.

it took me exactly where I wanted to go and even got me there early

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

it took me exactly where I wanted to go and even got me there early

Lol, you went to Florida on purpose.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

And early...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Last Chance posted:

And early...

Suicide requests are banned in YOSPOS. :ohdear:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I used Apple maps yesterday and it didn't gently caress up or make me angry

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

renting a beach house with some friends. gonna own

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

renting a beach house with some friends. gonna own

weekend at stymie’s

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I went on a road trip recently and Waze would take several minutes to calculate a route and their color scheme was bad, and didn't tell me what lane to be in unlike their parent company Google Maps.

Best solution: get a RAM mount for your iPad so you can have Apple Maps running primary directions with Waze running on the other half set to Alerts Only so that you know where cops are.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I used Apple maps yesterday and it didn't gently caress up or make me angry

this is a troll free thread. mods?

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Apple maps takes people to the wrong destination.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Apple knows what’s best, have faith 😇

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

OldAlias posted:

Apple knows what’s best, have faith 😇

maybe the roads should have been built where Apple had chosen

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

President Beep posted:

weekend at stymie’s

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

apple maps isn’t as good as google maps but it’s a small price to pay for not getting creeped on

well, for not having the results of said creeping sold. im sure apple collects lots of data

i keep google maps installed just in case tho

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

google maps collects your data if installed but not in use (but it may need to be launched first, can’t recall)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jimmy Carter posted:

I went on a road trip recently and Waze would take several minutes to calculate a route and their color scheme was bad, and didn't tell me what lane to be in unlike their parent company Google Maps.

Best solution: get a RAM mount for your iPad so you can have Apple Maps running primary directions with Waze running on the other half set to Alerts Only so that you know where cops are.

Most of the maps can run in the background, so launch Waze then switch to Apple Maps, you will get all the Waze audio prompts.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

It's because we don't route you through someone's yard to save 69 seconds fyi

No it's because Apple uses an incompetent dinosaur of a data provider Tomtom and should just make a special deal and pay google a lot more for the data to avoid sharing user data in return since they've waited too long to start their own primary map data collection. Google will obviously do it at some price and Apple can easily afford it.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

emoji posted:

No it's because Apple uses an incompetent dinosaur of a data provider Tomtom and should just make a special deal and pay google a lot more for the data to avoid sharing user data in return since they've waited too long to start their own primary map data collection. Google will obviously do it at some price and Apple can easily afford it.

Apple maps is just plain bad.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

emoji posted:

i though they used a mix of providers, with tomtom being one of them, since they (at least at one point) get traffic data from waze, even after the google purchase

my guess is it needs a real good remediation and review now that theyve been aggregating data for several years. maybe thatll fit in the purview of ios 12 but ideally is something that becomes more normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Apple maps is just plain bad.

I use it more than Google maps because I think the actual app and map looks better and it works fine in my city but I usually just pan around. But if I need actual directions it's not very good and doesn't fuzzy match or use your location as context well

• Locked thread