Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The date announcement seems to be going....poorly so maybe it'll mean a much more scaled down experience with much fewer people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Welcome to Ren-Con, we even have turkey legs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

The date announcement seems to be going....poorly so maybe it'll mean a much more scaled down experience with much fewer people.

Yeah a lot of the industry people who would be there as guests are mad.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

people are mad about sac anime too

maybe SDCC guests this year will be James Woods, Rob Schneider, and Gina Carano

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually mostly not a pandemic thing directly, it's the Thanksgiving part.

A lot of them expect Thanksgiving to be the first family holiday they can get together again. Plus Thanksgiving is expensive as hell to travel.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, Sac Anime is a little different because they're shutting down an active vaccination site to hold that. The SDCC blowback is definitely over the fact that it's Thanksgiving which, while not great, is as good a date as any but for some reason people want to see their families. Stupid families.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It also ties the hands of vendors and stuff because they prioritize returns, so if they skip this one that's back of the line.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Honestly, I'm real interested in seeing how this goes if for no other reason, I think the rona killed megacons. There's no way they can pack people in as tightly so they're gonna absolutely have to scale down and on top of that, I wouldn't doubt if there's serious price increases. Not the normal like $10-20 increase we've seen year over year at SDCC but like $100 or so to cover costs.

On top of that, I'm sure a lot of geeks developed at least some agoraphobia. Mix all that together and I'm curious who can survive.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Anybody get tickets?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Anybody get tickets?

I'm still on the fence about it. There seem to still be tickets available tho so I have time to think.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Imagine showing yourself that post 2 years ago

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Imagine showing yourself that post 2 years ago

Yeah, it’s utterly wild. I think if I didn’t have tickets for next year, I’d probably consider ccse more simply for 2023 returning reg. I’d also like to see single day passes but as it stands with delta ravaging everything, I’m not sure I want to go for more than a couple hours tops and that would be just to set up poo poo to get mailed home to me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
If it's any indication, NYCC seemed relatively lively for a Thursday day 1. It was nice not being packed like sardines and generally having more space in artist alley and the showfloor gave me flashbacks to 20-25 years ago.

Also, the mask and vaccine mandate seems to have left a good chunk of the worst parts of nerd culture out.

The BSG panel was great. Mary McDonnell is a hoot and Olmos got super political near the end after their panel at the UN in 2009 was brought up. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 8, 2021

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Schedule is up. it is both hard to navigate and looking thin.

This is gonna feel like wondercon.

https://comic-con.org/ccse/programming-schedule

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This is a worse schedule than wondercon. At least wondercon the past couple years was able to get some decent major productions. I think the biggest thing special edition has is...La Brea which I'll be absolutely shocked if it gets a second season.

Gonna dip my toe back in the "convention" scene this weekend and go to DesignerCon in Anaheim. If it goes well, I might consider doing a day at LA Comic Con but right now, seeing the guest list and the schedule, there's no way i'm going to special edition.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
drat Brazilian place wasn’t open until 4.

Love how small this con is. Can walk the floor with ease.

Lack of programming is a little sad though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rich Johnston walks the con floor before it opened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyFK0IxvMA

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hotelpacalypse on Thursday so I guess they're really gonna do it this year.

I'm absolutely fascinated by how poo poo's gonna go this year. I went to Wondercon and it seemed a little less packed than previous years but who knows.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
submitted at 9:07. let's see how this goes

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I definitely had an early submit but forgot to check the time since i'm so out of practice with all this. They still say "it's not the time you submit but the time you get access to the page" but that hasn't been true in the past ever. We'll see how it goes this year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

CCI posted their covid policy to facebook. It's basically the same as WCA (mask up inside, proof of vaxx or 72 hour test required) and there's a large collection of very livid chuds.

Hopefully this means more space in the hall since they have no plans to have another resale this year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so uh is there anything to do outside or should I stay up north

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RevKrule posted:

Hotelpacalypse on Thursday so I guess they're really gonna do it this year.

I'm absolutely fascinated by how poo poo's gonna go this year. I went to Wondercon and it seemed a little less packed than previous years but who knows.

The videos of the crowds at Anime Expo looked intense, I'm assuming it's going to be the same for SDCC.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So far the only thing outside I’m curious about is the dnd movie tavern so if anyone does that lmk how it is

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

So far the only thing outside I’m curious about is the dnd movie tavern so if anyone does that lmk how it is

I got a reservation for that tomorrow. I can let you know. Outside kinda sucks this year. Lotta photo ops, not much else. Also Hilton Bayfront workers were striking until management realized that maybe some A listers won't stay there if it means crossing a picket line and offered a reasonable contract. Direct action works again though I honestly will miss the "no contract, no peace" megaphone shouts that could be heard all the way at the convention center.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they're going to have to be louder than the "Hall H? MORE LIKE HALL HELL" people

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/SD_Comic_Con/status/1550176693804969984

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Indigo was the same. It was the Abbott elementary panel and the cast was zoom calling in from...LA. And to top it off, it started by showing the pilot. I love the show but god drat.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao

Guess the real con was up here after all

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

I got a reservation for that tomorrow. I can let you know. Outside kinda sucks this year. Lotta photo ops, not much else. Also Hilton Bayfront workers were striking until management realized that maybe some A listers won't stay there if it means crossing a picket line and offered a reasonable contract. Direct action works again though I honestly will miss the "no contract, no peace" megaphone shouts that could be heard all the way at the convention center.

from videos it seems like it's the exhibit with the sculptures, the dragon video on the screens and green drinks

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

from videos it seems like it's the exhibit with the sculptures, the dragon video on the screens and green drinks

Yeah, it's this. They rumble the room when the dragon flies over and the amount of alcohol in the drink is not as much as is needed. The glasses they serve the drinks in is cool but they force you to leave them when you leave.

I don't know how to describe this year. I've had fun in spite of it being poo poo I guess. But i'm also not rushing from one end of the hall to the other and back again and most of the swag is crap so it's not even worth trying for. When it's good, it's very good this year but the ratio is further out of line than I've seen in a while.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

In spite of a lot of bullshit, con was....ok? I spent a lot of time at offsites and not too much time in the hall or any packed rooms so hopefully I'm coming out of this experience covid free but on the whole it was pretty ok. I will say that while I saw a bunch of dick nosers and chin diapers, masking compliance was very high. The worst area I saw for masking was chinatown where the aisles were already smaller than anywhere else and the booths are all run by chuddy boomers who have been there for forever and won't leave until they die even though every year they talk about how they miss the old days and no one wants to go to their booth anymore.

There was definitely less and it was probably as muted an experience as you can have for SDCC right now. The swag being passed out was either extremely crap or extremely good and not much in between. Other than the very nice weather for the weekend, there's not much to talk about, it was sdcc for all that can be said about that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What was the good swag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The SyFy bags this year were cloth rather than cheap vinyl. Dr Squach was giving out free full bars of their soap (normally ~$10/bar). There was a truck giving out Groot branded 1.5lb bags of pistachios. Hulu was giving out free full burgers w/fresh made potato chips for Bob's Burgers. Deadpool had a food truck giving out chimichangas.

And none of this is including installations.

Disney Bundle was doing carnival games where you won tickets you could redeem for all kinds of different good poo poo; lanyards, portable chargers, a really decent neck fan, show branded mugs, branded metal straws, the solar opposites shirt they were selling inside, all kinds of actually useful poo poo. My wife and I ended up with like 80 tickets combined (talking to people, 40 tickets per person seemed to be about the average) and we were absolutely struggling to come up with poo poo to spend the last of our tickets on by the end.