Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Trailer: 'Heartbeats' (debut gameplay trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxTxUL_8VkA

:siren: Frostpunk is released on April 24th
website | twitter | wikia

synopsis posted:

In the summer of 1886 the snowstorms began. Crops failed, people starved. Millions fled South. They met only chaos, famine, and death.
In the farthest reaches of the resource-rich North, the British Empire began construction of heat-bearing Generators, where a chosen few could survive safe from the chaos of crumbling civilization.

They ran out of time.

An apocalyptic ice storm came from the South, devouring all in its path. People fled in panic. Some managed to cross the seas and reach the site of a Generator only to find it frozen solid.
The Generator was designed to power a City capable to weather the end of the world...

It falls to us to build it.

quote:

From the creators of This War of Mine (11bit Studios), Frostpunk is the first game of society survival; a mixture of city builder, survival and society simulation.

Become a leader of a steam-powered City, the last bastion of humanity. Oversee your society, manage resources and make difficult, ambiguous choices. But whatever you do, always remember: The City Must Survive. Frostpunk takes on what people are capable of when pushed to the limits. What interests us is what society do to survive and how it changes in the process. How survival in the end leaves us different beings. If worse, better, stronger, weaker or, last but not least, more or less humane - that is debatable.

THE CITY MUST SURVIVE
Frostpunk is a city-survival game where heat means life and every decision comes with a cost. Ensure you have enough food to survive while you scout for survivors, resources and a hope for the future.

Society is a group of people abiding the same rules and sharing similar beliefs. Establishing laws and customs will be a crucial factor shaping your society.

Will you allow child-labour? How will you treat the sick and wounded? Do you pad your food supply with sawdust? Will you banish criminals to the harsh wasteland? These choices will challenge a player’s tactical skills, while questioning one’s morality.

THE GENERATOR
The beating heart and main source of heat in your city. Keep it fed with coal to keep your people warm.
It consumes 6 coal per hour at base level (144/day) and can be sent into overdrive for a number of hours to increase the existing heat zone temperature by one level without consuming extra coal.

Tip: Overdrive is best used at night when everybody is at home to benefit from the extra heat, it can be turned off during the day to reduce the stress on the generator.

RESOURCES
Workers - Your weary survivors and citizens.
Engineers - A specialized class of people, engineers can be assigned to grant a boost in production from buildings, they can also gather at a faster rate than workers.
Children - Gather at a slower rate, depending on your choice of laws they may not be able to work in dangerous jobs or work at all.

Coal - Collect coal from surface deposits to feed the generator. Research and build a coalmine to gather longterm stockpiles.
Wood - Gathered from wooden crates or construct a sawmill to process frozen trees. Wood is used to build structures and research technologies.
Steel - Gather steel from wreckage or mine it from an iron deposit with a Steelworks.
Steam Core - A rare item which can only be found via exploration. Used to build advanced buildings and machinery.

Raw Food - Send out hunters to gather food, or let the populace eat corpses if the need arises.
Rations - Turn your raw food into two rations in a Cookhouse to boost efficiency.

Tip: A human will eat 1 ration per day. Starving people eat 2 rations per day. If you have run out of rations people will eat 1 raw food per day. People eating raw food instead of processed rations are more likely to get sick.

BOOK OF LAWS
Find ways to fight hunger, sickness, boredom and the human condition with The Book of Laws. The outcome of these decisions will impact the happiness and hope of your citizens. Think carefully as issued laws may block access to laws with opposing effects.

Allow or ban child labour? Establish an neighbourhood watch, which might lead to guard stations or the introduction of propaganda creating a faction of deserters, or create a safe space for your citizens?

Will you choose to establish a cemetery for your fallen citizens or will you use their bodies as a source of food and vital organs for your injured?

OTHER
A two and a half hour demo of the game from Lewis and Tom of the yogscast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZNWmfpBnE&t=395s
(I recommend checking this video out for a few minutes if you want to see what the game is about)

"Getting through the first 10 days with a solid base" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCAbUirA18

Trailer - Heartbeats (debut gameplay trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxTxUL_8VkA
Trailer - Whiteout (cinematic trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6saqbmVT9qk
Trailer - Serenity (date trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPCgltNJoHI

Victorian edition:
"Grab the Collector's Edition for just $34.99 USD! It includes a 56 page hardcover artbook, along with a physical install disk." Not sure where to buy it from.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
second post for random stuff post launch or something.

tech tree:
Heating

Exploration & industry

Resources

Food, Health & Shelter

(note: the UI has changed a lot from the screenshots to the final game)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This looks right up my alley and what's more I'm glad you haven't teased me with a game that isn't coming out for 4 years. My wishlist is long enough!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

poo poo, this looks pretty cool. I assume there's a cannibalism option for when things go real bad?

Edit: The name kind of sucks though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ There absolutely is!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844690 :gerty:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Game looks dope. Between this and Battletech April is shaping up to be a great month for PC games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The upgrades/DLC they did for This War of Mine were great and prove they have a good grasp of gamefeel so I'm insanely hype for this

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I am instantly biased against this game because "lol steampunk" but I guess I'll give it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Oops. My bad. Use the other thread then.

• Locked thread