Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The whole point of the movie is that life endures despite what might seem like an earth shattering event be it big eared aliens or an innocent action with tragic consequences. People get caught up in the alien's allegory instead of the nuanced little girl grappling with guilt who's standing right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Nah but, see, if Emily blunt was my wife, I would never gently caress her

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can have sex without a child being produced. you can do it lots of times in fact.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Hell, that’s probably how they got into this mess

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
A Quite Place is very close to what I imagine Alien would be if it was made by Mormons.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can have sex without a child being produced. you can do it lots of times in fact.

maybe the condoms broke or whatever. even people with vasectomies have turned out to be fertile again sometimes, there's no actual guarantees unless you just don't gently caress at all

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Whalley posted:

Yeah the pregnancy in and of itself is fine - especially if they're career farmers, which who goddamn knows if they are or if they bought a preexisting farm as a midlife crisis thing or if they escaped to a farm after the events happened or if it's a family farm that they ran back to because who cares who these people are, right? I get it; you're surviving, survival isn't just making it through individual roadblocks but having a long term goal of you and yours continued existence. It's that they never loving acted like they were prepared for the birthing procedure, just for where to stuff the lil thing when it squirts on out.

There is no "procedure." That's not how birth works. The child will come when it comes. Otherwise, you are completely at the fortune of your material privilege and your proximity to help, the absence of which is what the filmmakers are exploiting in order to create tension.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Crimpolioni posted:

maybe the condoms broke or whatever. even people with vasectomies have turned out to be fertile again sometimes, there's no actual guarantees unless you just don't gently caress at all
I imagine the scene people want is the mom looking heartbroken in the pharmacy as she sees no sign of birth control pills. She looks over with a sullen expression to her husband through the pharmacist window. He looks at her and sucks his lips in and shakes his head sorrowfully. We cut to him walking away to reveal a ransacked family planning display with only an empty box of condoms.

Either that or a shot of his other workbench with his failed homemade IUDs.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So hey, I saw this movie when it was first released and was pretty excited for it. And I'm pretty good about suspension of disbelief! But if me- Joe Schmoe moviegoer on my first watch- starts noticing some major plot holes, contrivances and how the rules I'm given are being handled really, really badly? And it starts piling up? I can't suspend my disbelief anymore. Go back and rework the script.

This is one of those movies that I want people to see so they can understand I'm not just being a nit-picky rear end in a top hat. This movie was badly broken. And also yeah, all jumpscares except that one with the monster behind the daughter and her not noticing. That was nice.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i actually don't mind the baby. the opening scene is very dumb (and they shouldn't have shown the monster) and the alien design is bad though. should've ripped of wayne barlowe's expedition or something.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Invisible monsters/aliens are usually a complete cop out, but in Quiet Place's situation it would have been cool.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I liked this movie, but ten minutes in my partner leaned over to me and whispered “now imagine how much scarier it would be... if they could see.” which made everything a lot funnier than it was supposed to be.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I enjoyed it a lot overall. Mostly well written, the tension was great, the creature design was pretty cool, and I'm impressed how much they did with so little dialogue. Some scenes definitely took me out of it though; the lead-up to the birth while the alien was stalking her was intense as hell, but then she pops it out in like 2 minutes and there's very little blood. Easiest, fastest, cleanest labor ever. That, and the daughter watching the earpiece screech driving the alien away but not figuring out that the two were related. Fine on its own I guess, but then it made the later scene where she still struggles to put it together until the camera shots very obviously focus on it feel like they either think the audience is too dumb to get it, or she is.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I wish the monsters were repelled by low frequencies and the movie was about a family with a reggae soundsystem that went from place to place driving out the aliens with heavy dub rockers

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

In terms of how to stay alive? Absolutely. But the film gave zero fucks about telling us what was going on out in the rest of the world. We're localized to one rural location.

It's entirely possible the entire rest of the world already figured out the frequency necessary to make the monsters vulnerable and has largely gotten rid of them and we're just seeing the last remnants way out in the sticks, and there's no television, electricity, or radio infrastructure to get the message out to everybody everywhere.

But, ultimately, this doesn't matter in the slightest because the movie isn't about a large swarm of aliens wrecking civilization. It's about one family in one location. This isn't "turn off your brain" filmmaking. It's "stop inventing a whole different movie and critiquing that" filmmaking.

Ugh, way too late to this but when the issue is incremental survival, the brain of the average viewer goes to tactics. The Thing is the best balance of that because the viewer doesn't know wtf to do in that situation. 70s Body Snatchers as well. Its a weird balance to keep.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Disco Godfather posted:

I wish the monsters were repelled by low frequencies and the movie was about a family with a reggae soundsystem that went from place to place driving out the aliens with heavy dub rockers

(family is trapped in shed as alien slams against door)

DAD: Just remember, whatever happens, I love you.

MOM: I love you too.

SON: Wait... what's that?

(The banging stops. The creature shrieks. From somewhere over the horizon, a noise...)

"Legalize it, legaLIZE IT"

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I want it to be dubstep. Pull the creatures in with the buildup, then blow’em all up when the bass drops.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm perfectly fine with the monster being seen since sometimes the Jaws principle gets taken too far, for example gently caress You for wanting to see Godzilla in this Godzilla movie. Instead have more of Aaron Taylor-Johnson who, in spite of the fact his wife is 23 years older than him, is the most boring actor alive. The monsters themselves where used only three times which runs perfectly with the Rule of Three: The first time to tell you what the stakes are, the second time to remind you they still exist and to perk things up, and the third time is the climax where things come to a head.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Disco Godfather posted:

Simpsons did it

(except with Barry White and snakes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm perfectly fine with the monster being seen since sometimes the Jaws principle gets taken too far, for example gently caress You for wanting to see Godzilla in this Godzilla movie. Instead have more of Aaron Taylor-Johnson who, in spite of the fact his wife is 23 years older than him, is the most boring actor alive. The monsters themselves where used only three times which runs perfectly with the Rule of Three: The first time to tell you what the stakes are, the second time to remind you they still exist and to perk things up, and the third time is the climax where things come to a head.

Really depends on the kind of monster and what kind of threat it represents imo.