Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shark Sandwich posted:

whoever said jordy petes is a modern L Ron Hubbard was right on the nose

ooh, good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I got to the home stretch but couldn't help but glance at the post that had appeared beneath it, and glanced back up at the several hundred words still to go and couldn't be bothered to Get Back In The Zone of reading a transcript of a neo-reactionary just thinking out loud.

I guess children's entertainment of a certain era making adulthood look dumb and lame might have something to do with alienated young men. There I did it, I tepidly defended a thing Jordan Peterson said, I've done my Fair-Minded Considering of All Opinions for the day and can tick it off my calendar and not do it again

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

I guess children's entertainment of a certain era making adulthood look dumb and lame might have something to do with alienated young men.
that's also why peterson sprinkles his writing and videos by talking about things that are better suited for a fantasy novel than a serious academic talk. he's not smart, he's not insightful, he's not entertaining, but dammit, he knows how to pander to his audience

i'm convinced that's why he talked about men with autism as being "hyper-masculine." does he actually believe in that? probably not, but he knows that a good deal of his audience have been diagnosed as on the spectrum, professionally or otherwise, and saying this makes them feel good

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I read the whoooole thing

"Gee, I wonder why this kid who is dealing with an adult he sees everyday being hospitalized doesn't feel like playing. Could he be grieving for someone he cares about coming to harm? Nah, must be because he doesn't respect adults!"

There, I figured it out, the dragon the kid was dealing with was the disruption and worry caused by the loss of his caregiver, that's why he latched onto the first adult woman who praised him. I'm officially smarter than JBP

E: where's my tenured position

Pththya-lyi has issued a correction as of 22:51 on May 11, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

update to my first post: i watched one of the "Steamed Hams But _________" videos and now youtube isn't suggesting them to me anymore

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

get that OUT of my face posted:

update to my first post: i watched one of the "Steamed Hams But _________" videos and now youtube isn't suggesting them to me anymore

i've been watching them for over six months

tey don't stop

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

steamed hams but its your posting

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Watch out for the thread for round 2 of the Jordan Peterson challenge, coming soon!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pththya-lyi posted:

I read the whoooole thing

"Gee, I wonder why this kid who is dealing with an adult he sees everyday being hospitalized doesn't feel like playing. Could he be grieving for someone he cares about coming to harm? Nah, must be because he doesn't respect adults!"

There, I figured it out, the dragon the kid was dealing with was the disruption and worry caused by the loss of his caregiver, that's why he latched onto the first adult woman who praised him. I'm officially smarter than JBP

E: where's my tenured position

Just FYI, a few weeks ago ol' JP went on a tangent discussing Hitler's motives for making war and didn't mention anti-semitism

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Ready?

Begin!

Mother made some pancakes for Billy, but the dragon ate them all!

:captainpop:

First of all, how dare you.

Second, I got to about "unemployed and hungover" or something like that and i was twitching.

did eventually go back and read it because i had to figure out what the point of the drat thing was, but holy hell man, don't ever do that to me again.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The real problem with Peterson is that he even has his job which puts him in a position of (Presumed by ignorant people) authority. How did he ever become a professor when listening to him speak on any topic for five minutes reveals a complete lack of intellectual capacity?

Krugman's old line about Gingrich sounding like a dumb person's idea of what a smart person sounds like is probably the most useful thing he's ever said as it applies to a lot of dumbshit popular figures, from Musk to Tyson, and it deffo applies to Peterson. So it's easy to figure out why dipshit retards listen to him, but how the gently caress did Peterson achieve tenure?

Was there a time that Peterson wasn't an embarrassment and he later broke his brain, or is U of T just that much of a joke?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I can tell you in academia 'how the hell did X get tenure' is a common thing. Just as far as Canada goes, there was some sociologist (at western I think) I think who got tenure and then proceeded to use statistics to show how non-whites, women etc are less intelligent than white men because IQ SCORES

Academia is very hosed up and in need of reform, and if you learned this via J. Petersen, then good, you've learned something useful. TBH via CSPAM I read a very good article taking down Petersen that made that precise point.

As for U of T (University of Toronto) it has a good rep, but is also one of the largest universities in Canada, with a student body as big as some cities I've lived in. What's more, with hiring practices and esp. tenure, if a bad egg gets past the vetting process, then the first instinct of admin is to cover their own asses and never admit wrongdoing. You can't demote someone with tenure unless they do very specific things, so if crazy gets in, the habit is to tolerate and ignore it

e: no idea if Petersen was better at one point, but gibberish omnibus "Maps of Meaning" argues no

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just FYI, a few weeks ago ol' JP went on a tangent discussing Hitler's motives for making war and didn't mention anti-semitism

that wasnt really a reason to go to war, if everybody rolled like czhechoslovakia theydve opeend the camps anyway

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nebakenezzer posted:

TBH via CSPAM I read a very good article taking down Petersen that made that precise point.

Thank you for that post, would you happen to have a link to that article, or the name of the author so that I may search for it?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

that wasnt really a reason to go to war, if everybody rolled like czhechoslovakia theydve opeend the camps anyway

Antisemitism was at the heart of all Nazi aggression, the entire reason for going to war in the first place was to conquer enough of the east to "become a power of the first rank" so when international jewery manipulated events to have everybody (IE western Europe, the US) declare war on them the Nazis could fight back and win

Hitler's take to Europe in the late '30s starting an arms buildup in resonance to Nazi aggression was "holy poo poo, those jews move quickly" and to accelerate plans for war

Wheeee posted:

Thank you for that post, would you happen to have a link to that article, or the name of the author so that I may search for it?

no problem: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Antisemitism was at the heart of all Nazi aggression, the entire reason for going to war in the first place was to conquer enough of the east to "become a power of the first rank" so when international jewery manipulated events to have everybody (IE western Europe, the US) declare war on them the Nazis could fight back and win

Hitler's take to Europe in the late '30s starting an arms buildup in resonance to Nazi aggression was "holy poo poo, those jews move quickly" and to accelerate plans for war
people say that Hitler hated communists and jews equally, but that's because he was convinced communism was a jewish plot and everyone who followed it were slaves to the jews

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

people say that Hitler hated communists and jews equally, but that's because he was convinced communism was a jewish plot and everyone who followed it were slaves to the jews

:hai:

This is also why he thought genocide and conquest was just the thing for the Western USSR, as untermenchen slavs under control of die jewden was like a multiplication of unter-ness, thus making all the material superiority of the USSR irreverent

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

also thanks for posting the article that i assume was the inspiration for this thread, because it contains that horrible passage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

also thanks for posting the article that i assume was the inspiration for this thread, because it contains that horrible passage

yup.

• Locked thread