Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
To all my fellow bassists!

I've been in the market to finance my next addition to my collection. I'm relatively new to playing and not really familiarized with music theory and terminology.

But that's besides the point.

I have been indecisive on weather I should purchase an American P-Bass or Rickenbacker 4003.

A buddy of mine who works with professional musicians in a Beatles tribute band, told me that I should purchase a P-Bass instead, because it is "well built' and "good quality". Versus buying a Rickenbacker that will have "intonation problems from the get-go". In my opinion, I love the look and feel of a Rickenbacker, however I can see where he might be coming from. I've owned a Mexican P-Bass before and I don't mind the neck size feel either.

My band mates are trying to convince me that I should buy a Rickenbacker, but their reasoning behind choosing a rick over a p-bass is more for the aesthetics and not really the sound and quality.

So for quality, tone, and looks.

Which one do you think is better? and what's your opinion?

P-bass
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassAO63CS--fender-american-original-60s-precision-bass-3-color-sunburst

Rickenbacker 4003w
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4003FG--rickenbacker-4003-stereo-fireglo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I've had the same Rick for 20 years, and I always liked the "high end" that it adds to the notes. Never noticed any intonation problems. One thing to keep in mind is that the neck on the Rick is not as fast as it is on other brands, including the P-bass. But unless you are doing speed metal, it shouldn't be a problem.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Are Rickenbackers prone to intonation problems? The bridge clearly has individual string adjustments so I don't see why they would have issues beyond the ones every stringed instrument has.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

Oyak posted:

I've had the same Rick for 20 years, and I always liked the "high end" that it adds to the notes. Never noticed any intonation problems. One thing to keep in mind is that the neck on the Rick is not as fast as it is on other brands, including the P-bass. But unless you are doing speed metal, it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah no speed metal, we're more like indie rock. Our fastest tempo for a song is probably at 180 lol and that's pushing it.

Thanks !

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

Anime Reference posted:

Are Rickenbackers prone to intonation problems? The bridge clearly has individual string adjustments so I don't see why they would have issues beyond the ones every stringed instrument has.

Right??! thanks. lol I'm aiming more towards a Rick haha.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

My bassist had a rick. The problem wasn't that the intonation wasn't fixable, the problem was that the intonation would go out fairly regularly.

Also, another mate of mine who is a tech, HATES working on ricks. They're apparently fussy (as in you set one thing up, then something else goes out dramatically), and are an all-round pain in the rear end.

I'd go the P-Bass.

OR:

Apologies for being "that guy" who suggests something else entirely, have a look at the Ibanez Soundgear stuff. Stupid easy to play and the active pickups mean it's fairly versatile as well.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

H13 posted:

My bassist had a rick. The problem wasn't that the intonation wasn't fixable, the problem was that the intonation would go out fairly regularly.

Also, another mate of mine who is a tech, HATES working on ricks. They're apparently fussy (as in you set one thing up, then something else goes out dramatically), and are an all-round pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I looked a bit into how adjusting the bridge works and it looks fiddly as hell. The whole bridge design in general is pretty confusing -- on half the pictures I can't even tell which way around it goes.
Hipshot makes a drop-in replacement that's supposedly way easier to live with (but also pricey.)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I have a Ric with the original bridge and another with the Hipshot. Both are fine, the Hipshot adjusts like most common bridges and the Ric is a little more of a process because of where the screws are placed (underneath the strings), but it doesn't magically change while sitting in the case or anything, it's as stable as any other bass. There's nothing to fail "spectacularly" because it is just two height screws and four intonation screws. The only real pain in the rear end thing on them was the truss rod system on the old 4001 models, you had the move the neck by hand then tighten down the truss rod nuts or you could risk damaging the neck. They fixed that with the 4003 and they adjust just like most normal basses.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Anime Reference posted:

The E string on my buddy's 4003 would not intonate properly because the saddle couldn't be moved back far enough. Dunno if it's a common issue.

I'm a P-bass guy all the way. Ricks sound really nice, but I don't like the necks, and I feel like they don't balance on a strap as well as Fenders.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

H13 posted:

I'd go the P-Bass.

OR:

Apologies for being "that guy" who suggests something else entirely, have a look at the Ibanez Soundgear stuff. Stupid easy to play and the active pickups mean it's fairly versatile as well.

Yeah I heard that before.

drat I'm so indecisive.

Hmmm haven't really looked into Ibanez. Any specific models you recommend to look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I've had a 4003 for a few years now. Haven't had intonation problems. I did wind up having a truss rod replaced at one point. Still, it's been a few years, and otherwise it's been really solid. I bought a 4003S a couple years ago so I'd have one I could put flatwounds on. No trouble with that one.

The only thing I'd change if I had it all to do over again is I'd have gotten a 4003 a hell of a lot earlier than I did. I like that if you let them growl a bit they really add a lot of energy to the overall sound, plus the sound of anything played high up is distinctive. They're good for both rhythmic bass and melodic bass, or both at once.

• Locked thread