Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
March match of the month?
This poll is closed.
Mustafa Ali vs Buddy Murphy 5 4.24%
Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay 3 2.54%
Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii 0 0%
Hung Bucks vs. So Cal Uncensored 0 0%
Kota Ibushi vs. Yoshi-Hashi 0 0%
Tetsuya Naito vs. Zack Sabre Junior 4 3.39%
Chuckie T vs. SANADA 4 3.39%
Cedric Alexander vs Roderick Strong 2 1.69%
Toru Yano vs SANADA 5 4.24%
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Kota Ibushi 4 3.39%
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Juice Robinson 4 3.39%
Angel De Oro vs El Cuatrero 3 2.54%
Zack Sabre Junior vs. SANADA 5 4.24%
The Ultimate Deletion 20 16.95%
Drew Gulak vs Mustafa Ali 3 2.54%
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi 14 11.86%
KES vs Toru Yano/Chuckie T 2 1.69%
Team Taguchi USA vs LiJ 1 0.85%
Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Will Ospreay 1 0.85%
Suzuki/ZSJ vs. Okada/Ishii 4 3.39%
Golden Lovers vs. Young Bucks 27 22.88%
TJP vs. Kalisto vs. Akira Tozawa vs. Buddy Murphy 1 0.85%
Tetsuhiro Yagi vs. Ren Narita 2 1.69%
Volador Jr (C) vs. Matt Taven 2 1.69%
None of the Above/Other 2 1.69%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

March was a stellar month for pro wrestling, with 4 promotions netting 24 different MOTYC or HM matches between them. The New Japan Cup, Strong Style Evolved and the Anniversary show gave New Japan a stellar March. The WWE Cruiserweight tournament was very good, and gained 205 Live a lot of much needed attention for its makeover.

This thread is for matches from all sports that this subforum covers, although the majority will be from the pro wrestling side. Matches are eligible for match of the month based upon when they become legally available (TV broadcasts, streaming services, VOD, etcc.) with a bit more wiggle room for matches only on physical release.

By default matches will be taken based upon the recommendations of the pro wrestling match recommendations thread. That does have some issues, such as not covering legitimate contests and the difficulty in securing nominations for lesser known promotions. If you feel there is a match that belongs but wouldn't work in that thread, DM me or post in one of of my threads to recommend it. I can't guarantee I'll include it but I will check it out. This extends to future polls as well.

Mustafa Ali vs Buddy Murphy in the WWE Cruiserweight Championship Tournament Quarter Finals
205 Live - March 6th - starts at 31:10

Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay
NJPW Anniversary Show -March 6th

Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii
New Japan Cup - March 9th - starts at 1:58:35

Hung Bucks vs. So Cal Uncensored
ROH 16th Anniversary - March 9th

Kota Ibushi vs. Yoshi-Hashi
New Japan Cup - March 11th - starts at 1:45:45

Tetsuya Naito vs. Zack Sabre Junior
New Japan Cup - March 11th - starts at 2:15:10

Chuckie T vs. SANADA - New Japan Cup
New Japan Cup - March 12th - starts at 2:02:45

Cedric Alexander vs Roderick Strong in the WWE Cruiserweight Tournament Semi-Final
205 Live - March 13th - starts at 30:10

Toru Yano vs SANADA in the New Japan Cup Quarterfinals
New Japan Cup - March 15th - starts at 1:37:00

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Kota Ibushi in the New Japan Cup Quarterfinals
New Japan Cup - March 15th - starts at 1:50:20

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Juice Robinson in the New Japan Cup Semi-finals
New Japan Cup - March 16th - starts at 1:52:35

Angel De Oro vs El Cuatrero
CMLL Dos Leyendas - March 16th

Zack Sabre Junior vs. SANADA in the New Japan Cup Semifinal
New Japan Cup - March 18th - starts at 2:13:00

Bray Wyatt vs Matt Hardy in The Ultimate Deletion
Monday Night Raw - March 19th

Drew Gulak vs Mustafa Ali in the WWE Cruiserweight Championship Tournament Semi Finals
205 Live - March 20th - starts at 29:50

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the New Japan Cup
New Japan Cup - March 21st - starts at 2:10:10

KES vs Toru Yano/Chuckie T
Strong Style Evolved - March 25th - starts at 0:43:05

Team Taguchi USA vs LiJ
Strong Style Evolved - March 25th - starts at 1:25:55

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Will Ospreay
Strong Style Evolved - March 25th - starts at 1:54:50

Minoru Suzuki/Zack Sabre Jr vs. Kazuchika Okada/Tomohiro Ishii
Strong Style Evolved - March 25th - starts at 2:16:50

Golden Lovers vs. Young Bucks
Strong Style Evolved - March 25th - starts at 3:25:20

TJP vs. Kalisto vs. Akira Tozawa vs. Buddy Murphy
205 Live - March 27th - starts at 25:30

Tetsuhiro Yagi vs. Ren Narita
Road to Sakura Genesis - March 30th - starts at 07:15

Volador Jr (C) vs. Matt Taven for the NWA Welterweight Title
CMLL Viernes - March 30th - starts at 1:40:45

None of the Above/Other
If none of these matches are notable to you, this is the option for you. If you have something you think should really be on here, go ahead and vote for this and mention it in the thread.

All Results (click emblem for tallies)
Andrade "Cien" Almas (c) vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia - Jan 27)
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Seiya Sanada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW The New Beginning - Feb 10)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Double voted for ZSJ/Tanahashi and The Ultimate Deletion. Both were polar opposites of pro-wrestling, but both were matches I absolutely adored for completely different reasons.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Golden lovers vs Young Bucks just edges out ZSJ/Tanahashi for me

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'm gonna be real, the ultimate deletion wasn't even as good as the final deletion and whatever the name for the tag one was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like how all of them have had a different feel.

The tag match one was great just for the fun of seeing all those old tag teams show up and interact with the Hardys.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Double voted for ZSJ / Tana and Bucks / Lovers. Both just absolutely incredible matches, but in such different ways I can't say one of them is better.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the best match was Tanahashi vs. Juice (lovers/bucks #2)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

the best match was Tanahashi vs. Juice (lovers/bucks #2)

Juice's desperate grabbing of Red Shoes when Tana kicked out of his High Fly Flow isn't QUITE as good as Matt Jackson forcing Kenny Omega to give him the OWA, but it's close.

(I also love that Juice never hits Pulp Friction in these big matches. It's actually a very protected finish)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The poll is either closed or soon to be closed, and I'm going to call it.

In 2nd place we had The Ultimate Deletion, which WWE put up on YouTube in its entirety, and 3rd was Zack Sabre Jr vs Tanahashi.

April has had so many excellent matches that there's no way I'll be able to fit them all on a poll. Usually I put in the HMs because there's a few that are really good but not enough people saw, but I'll only be doing matches specifically nominated as a MOTYC for April's poll. Its gonna be a pretty wild list and I've no clue what will win.

All Results (click emblem for tallies, links go to the match)
Andrade "Cien" Almas (c) vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia - Jan 27)
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Seiya Sanada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW The New Beginning - Feb 10)
The Golden☆Lovers vs The Young Bucks (New Japan: Strong Style Evolved - March 25th)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't think 2018 could possibly match 2017 for match quality, but so far it's looking like it's going to be just as good or possibly even better :stare:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't think 2018 could possibly match 2017 for match quality, but so far it's looking like it's going to be just as good or possibly even better :stare:

And the G1 isn't until July

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God the G1 is gonna kill me and I'm not even gonna be mad

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

April is over, and while we may get a few late entries its looking like the poll is going to look like this. If you happen to have a time stamp for the UFC 223 match or links to the UFC on Fox matches I would appreciate it.

Will Ospreay (C) vs. Marty Scurll for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
NJPW Sakura Genesis - April 1st

Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Zack Sabre Jr. for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
NJPW Sakura Genesis - April 1st

Matt Riddle vs. Will Ospreay
WWN Supershow - April 6th - go to 1:59:25 (iPPV)

WALTER vs. Pierre-Carl 'PCO' Oullet
GCW - Joey Janela's Spring Break 2 - April 7th - go to 0:35:20 (iPPV)

Adam Cole vs. Killian Dain vs. Ricochet vs. Lars Sullivan vs. Velveteen Dream vs. EC3 in a ladder match for the NXT North American Title
NXT Takeover - April 7th - go to 5:10

Andrade "Cien" Almas (C) vs. Aleister Black for the NXT Championship
NXT Takeover - April 7th - video package starts at 1:42:40

Tomasso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano
NXT Takeover - April 7th - video package starts at 2:15:20

Zabit Magomedshapirov vs Kyle Bochniak, UFC 223
UFC 223 - April 7th (iPPV)

Charlotte (C) vs Asuka for the Smackdown Women's Championship
Wrestlemania 34 - April 8th - video package starts at 30:00

Undertaker vs John Cena
Wrestlemania 34 - April 8th - go to 2:08:55

The Bar (C) vs Braun Strowman and some kid called Nicholas for the Raw Tag Team Titles
Wrestlemania 34 - April 8th - go to 4:10:35

Alex Oliveira vs Carlos Condit
UFC on Fox 29 - April 14th

Dustin Poirier vs Justin Gaethje
UFC on Fox 29 - April 14th

Shingo Takagi vs. Yuji Hino
AJPW Champion Carnival - April 15th

Io Shirai vs Meiko Satoruma
Tokyo Sendai Girls - April 19th

Kento Miyahara vs Naomichi Marufuji
AJPW Champion Carnival - April 30th

TTBF fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 2, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TTBF posted:

April is over, and while we may get a few late entries its looking like the poll is going to look like this. If you happen to have a time stamp for the UFC 223 match or links to the UFC on Fox matches I would appreciate it.

I posted a direct link to the Io/Meiko match in the other thread if you want to add that instead of the whole show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I posted a direct link to the Io/Meiko match in the other thread if you want to add that instead of the whole show

I updated it, thanks

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

Whoops! I remembered someone having done so but I missed it while looking for it. Thank you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like how there's three matches from Wrestlemania on the list and two of them are joke nominations. And no, don't try and convince me the Cena/Taker match is a legit nom.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

And no, don't try and convince me the Cena/Taker match is a legit nom.

I don't have to convince you, it's an established fact of the universe :colbert:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I like how there's three matches from Wrestlemania on the list and two of them are joke nominations. And no, don't try and convince me the Cena/Taker match is a legit nom.

look the ending may have been a little rushed but Charlotte/Asuka was not a joke nomination.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was fully honest about genuinely liking all 3 matches from the Mania that were nommed.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cena/taker was unironically good

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

I was fully honest about genuinely liking all 3 matches from the Mania that were nommed.

That's fine. I'm not saying they were not enjoyable. But are you honestly going to tell me that BRAUN and the ref's kid had a better match than the Rousey/Angle one? Better than Aries/Pentagon/Fenix from the TNA show? Better than Juice and Goto? Better than any of the Rollins/Balor involved matches in April?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

That's fine. I'm not saying they were not enjoyable. But are you honestly going to tell me that BRAUN and the ref's kid had a better match than the Rousey/Angle one? Better than Aries/Pentagon/Fenix from the TNA show? Better than Juice and Goto? Better than any of the Rollins/Balor involved matches in April?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gaz-L posted:

• Locked thread