Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NowonSA posted:

The jacket thing seems to tie in to when Okabe went back in time to try to save Kurisu, but that doesn't quite add up to me since he didn't succeed and create the happy ending of both Mayuri and Kurisu living in that world line.

The jacket thing was from like episode 1 or 2 of the original series, after Okabe goes to the Alpha world line for the first time and is simply shocked that Kurisu wasn't stabbed to death, since he had just found her dead in a pool of her own blood in the Beta timeline.

From Alpha-Kurisu's perspective, this was her first time meeting Okabe and its why she thought he was a pervert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

NowonSA posted:

How did that message cause him to shift back to his world line.

In the scene where Daru is berating Okabe in the alley, it is mentioned that Okabe stopped just short of deleting the data on SERN's server (the data that indicated that time traveling had occured). I assume that Kurisu entering the room right before he was about to do the thing that would kill her caused him to waver and dismantle all the time devices. The sent message caused Kurisu to delay entering the room long enough for Okabe to go through with pressing the button.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
does the vn ever explain why only okabe has a perfect reading steiner

also listening to sub daru is kind of painful, he has a really affected nerd/fat guy voice

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Raxivace posted:

The jacket thing was from like episode 1 or 2 of the original series, after Okabe goes to the Alpha world line for the first time and is simply shocked that Kurisu wasn't stabbed to death, since he had just found her dead in a pool of her own blood in the Beta timeline.

From Alpha-Kurisu's perspective, this was her first time meeting Okabe and its why she thought he was a pervert.

Ah right, I rewatched most of it relatively recently but I'd totally forgotten about that tidbit. It's pretty wild to think about the bulk of the series taking place in an alternate timeline or reality from the one Okabe started in, and now Zero is the story of yet another different timeline from the "true ending" route that ended the original series.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Relin posted:

no. in a universe where everything has its own internal logic, this has none. the real answer though is because he is the archetypal adventure protagonist around whom the story develops and through whom exposition is given to the reader, making the reader the real observer. you see, you were the reading steiner the whole time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC, and I can't remember how much of this made it into the anime, the VN has some weird references to a fever that almost killed Okabe as a kid that is sometimes described as being similar to Reading Steiner. I think the implication is that a near death experience from a young age gave Okabe greater version of that ability than others have.

NowonSA posted:

Ah right, I rewatched most of it relatively recently but I'd totally forgotten about that tidbit. It's pretty wild to think about the bulk of the series taking place in an alternate timeline or reality from the one Okabe started in, and now Zero is the story of yet another different timeline from the "true ending" route that ended the original series.
Yeah, it can seem confusing at first. I remember what tripped me up for the longest time too was how the timeline Okabe started in was the Beta one- it's kind of a counterintuitve naming scheme.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Raxivace posted:

IIRC, and I can't remember how much of this made it into the anime, the VN has some weird references to a fever that almost killed Okabe as a kid that is sometimes described as being similar to Reading Steiner. I think the implication is that a near death experience from a young age gave Okabe greater version of that ability than others have.

My own dumb theory is that Okabe was "supposed to" die like Mayuri from that fever, but her wishing kept him alive anyway because love or whatever. This weirdness allows him a strong Reading Steiner, since him existing at all is outside the worldline a bit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

T-man posted:

My own dumb theory is that Okabe was "supposed to" die like Mayuri from that fever, but her wishing kept him alive anyway because love or whatever. This weirdness allows him a strong Reading Steiner, since him existing at all is outside the worldline a bit.

This is as good an explanation as any you get in the VNs and supplementary material.

I’ll finally have a chance to catch up on the last 3-4 eps of Zero tomorrow. From the sound of the thread, it looks like they’ve done a good job compressing the important bits.

Spoiler question: I'm guessing we’ve already hit the loop back into the second half of the timeline?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just got through episode 8. Hot drat, that was a great way to handle that scene. I'm glad they expanded it, but it makes me wonder what they're going to be cutting since that took a whole episode.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I just got through episode 8. Hot drat, that was a great way to handle that scene. I'm glad they expanded it, but it makes me wonder what they're going to be cutting since that took a whole episode.

It's going to be a 2 cours show, so there shouldn't be problems.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lurking Haro posted:

It's going to be a 2 cours show, so there shouldn't be problems.

Well, yeah. Has it been listed as 24 or 26 eps. There's nothing on the wikipedia page for it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Well, yeah. Has it been listed as 24 or 26 eps. There's nothing on the wikipedia page for it.

23 episodes plus 1 special.

-e-
Info is from the listing for the 6th Bluray, which contains episodes 21-23 and one unaired episode.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 10, 2018

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
My favorite read is that Okabe is (chaos;head spoilers) a Gigolomaniac and everything, including CERN being an evil conspiracy, is his fault. I don't remember the particular rules of that very well though so idk

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

klapman posted:

My favorite read is that Okabe is (chaos;head spoilers) a Gigolomaniac and everything, including CERN being an evil conspiracy, is his fault. I don't remember the particular rules of that very well though so idk
I'm not very familiar with chaos;head (Just couldn't get through that VN no matter how hard I tried) but I always thought that like, metaphorically this was kind of the case in a "be careful what you wish for" sort of way anyways.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Raxivace posted:

I'm not very familiar with chaos;head (Just couldn't get through that VN no matter how hard I tried) but I always thought that like, metaphorically this was kind of the case in a "be careful what you wish for" sort of way anyways.

The thing with Gigolomaniacs is that they have the power to make their delusions become real, and IIRC the trigger to become one is any type of very stressful event, like that fever Okabe got hit with as a kid. It might be literal as well as metaphorical, in this case. It's never been properly confirmed or anything though, so it's just a little bit of fanwank. Personally, the only parts of Chaos;Head I didn't like were the terrible installer and Ending A, so I might go ahead and read it again just to more thoroughly go over the specifics. Takumi is a very fun protagonist.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've only read Chaos;Child but that idea makes some sense to me. Time travel in Steins;Gate is described as rewriting the world/rewriting people's memories at some points, so I can imagine someone being immune to that and being able to see other possible rewrites as a Gigalomaniac-style power.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now reading the VN and the use of AH Tokyo Hospital and the guy with the sumo sticker lends a lot of credence to the Chaos;Child parts.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The comedic Ashita no Joe reference in this episode was good as heck. Really love what they're doing so far, although I thought that for an important scene in the game all of the girls were helping clean the house?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
reading this summary made me think of steins gate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lathe_of_Heaven

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I can barely believe that Steins;Gate has managed to have two good anime adaptions considering the normal VN to anime hit rate. I couldn’t be happier though.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I don't know, I feel like the 0 anime is starting to struggle. The pacing of this past episode was really weird, and the hotel bit was wildly off-putting and creepy. Faris aggressively grabbing underwear-clad Moeka's tits (mysteriously swollen since the first season) on a bed during a slumber party while she protests. It's okay, groping your boobs while you fight back is all in good fun! And then we're supposed to jump back into Serious Story Time right after--really in the midst--of it? And earlier they imply exposing or groping Ruka to show Hyajo that he's a guy, which I glossed over at the time but together with this other sketchiness and Daru's character shift into hyper-perv, and really the acceptance of this as normal or fun, starts to feel like a trend.

I know this sort of fanservice--and really the nonconsensual poo poo is a few levels worse than "random boob shot!"--is nothing new for anime in general, but I thought this show would follow the first in being almost entirely free from that. Just disappointed.

e:
the Ruka-Hyajo scene is actually a really good example because Rintaro did exactly that several times in the first series, generally to check the world line as opposed to perving out but regardless of the reason he was yelled at for it and the message was clearly "Ruka is a person, you don't get to just grope someone out of nowhere, that's not ok".

rockopete fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 18, 2018

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I'm really disappointed with the direction the last episode took, too. I've enjoyed a lot about S;G 0 but there's been some real skeeviness going on and last week's was probably the most overt and unapologetic slice of it so far.

(also Okabe is a complete dumbass for still insisting Ruka is a guy, and it sucks that this is still being played for punchlines)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I actually posted that just before I watched 10. It wasn’t as good. I agree.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
That song is it's own grandfather!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I...don't like how much of the story they've skipped/ignored. They cut off the entire point of Promised Rinascimento giving us the first resurgence of Hououin Kyouma and all of the DURPA fuckery leading up to deleting Amadeus. I'm kind of glad they seemed to have completely ignored the Yuki part of the brainwashing storyline since that was the weakest part, but the ending is going to be an even bigger mess than it already was. I think losing most of the early WWIII reading steiner activation scene and the knowledge that Reyes is the head bad guy going into Promised Rinascimento destroys the narrative from a story telling perspective. Though, not necessarily from a character exploration perspective, I guess.

Also, Reyes being ousted in the first half of the closed loop is supposed to make it more impactful when Leskinen gets ousted as a STRATFOR agent in the back half and you find out they're actually enemies, themselves.

Maybe they'll surprise me?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He's back.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

And a bit late. The first series was also structured like a lead up to Hououin Kyouma's return with a buildup long enough to make you hunger for it, but that one had several episodes with him in it at the beginning. Here you start in the non-Kyouma part of the last show and just continue on forever till we finally get him back. Too long, ratio of HK/nonHK too low.

On the other hand, this show does give us the new second best character, furthest-future Ruka. Then like a great apology quickly withdrawn, he's taken away. Oh well, I like to think Suzuha's ridiculous overpoweredness was all learned from him.

Relin posted:

I've only seen the shows, but somehow I got the idea that he got it from looking at the sky/the sun and maybe also doing the hand reaching toward it thing. I think now that idea just came from my head, nothing S;G itself, and it got in my head from the movie Pi. Which source I think actually makes it a good theory.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He obtained it as a result of getting sick as a kid or it's an innate ability (like Faris' mind reading) that first triggered as a child due to a world-line change.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i finished the first cour and liked it but it looked like it was rapidly going off the rails second cour so i fell behind, is this gonna be worth catching up on?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Homura and Sickle posted:

i finished the first cour and liked it but it looked like it was rapidly going off the rails second cour so i fell behind, is this gonna be worth catching up on?

It's been just as enjoyable to me, but I've got no clue where or how it's ending.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It feels a little directionless, but I like Okabe Mad Scientist Hououin Kyouma and his goofy geeky friends a lot, so I can't say too much bad about this show because everyone in it is precious. It definitely doesn't capture the thrill of the original Steins;Gate for me.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Yeah, this. This show is certainly no Steins;Gate 1, but it definitely has the characters from it in all their glory. And the last 3 to 5 episodes we got are better (IMO) than everything that came before them in S;G 0, so there's that to be said for catching up. Don't know how it's ending exactly either; I will say I'm a touch disappointed that Amadeus Kurisu certainly(?) can't be the main antagonist now--have to leave room for the Daleks to be secretly behind everything I guess--but at least we got future Ruka as compensation. And that ain't half bad.

EDIT: Oh, and they had best reuse Hacking to the Gate in the final episode or else I'll...well, I guess I won't be doing anything about it, but it'd be nice if they used it.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 26, 2018

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Have some thoughts and may sure mention them someday, but

Onomarchus posted:

EDIT: Oh, and they had best reuse Hacking to the Gate in the final episode or else I'll...well, I guess I won't be doing anything about it, but it'd be nice if they used it.

oh my snap.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think the show was decent, but nowhere near as good as the original. The changes they made from the VN kind of make sense just from a "flatten everything into a linear anime narrative" standpoint, but I feel like all of the worldline jumping and Stratfor vs DURPA vs Russia stuff that got cut made the finale payoff a lot more worthwhile in the VN compared to the anime. Leskinen/Stratfor barely even felt like an antagonist to me until the very last few episodes, and having Reyes show up on the roof just to die a bunch of times seemed random and probably unnecessary considering how DURPA was a pretty much a non-entity in the anime. Also I feel like Maho's arc was way more rewarding in the VN compared to the show, which was disappointing because her development was one of my favorite parts about the VN.

But at the end of the day "not great but it's more steins gate" is all I really wanted out of an adaptation of a VN that I would describe in the same way.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

astr0man posted:

I think the show was decent, but nowhere near as good as the original. The changes they made from the VN kind of make sense just from a "flatten everything into a linear anime narrative" standpoint, but I feel like all of the worldline jumping and Stratfor vs DURPA vs Russia stuff that got cut made the finale payoff a lot more worthwhile in the VN compared to the anime. Leskinen/Stratfor barely even felt like an antagonist to me until the very last few episodes, and having Reyes show up on the roof just to die a bunch of times seemed random and probably unnecessary considering how DURPA was a pretty much a non-entity in the anime. Also I feel like Maho's arc was way more rewarding in the VN compared to the show, which was disappointing because her development was one of my favorite parts about the VN.

But at the end of the day "not great but it's more steins gate" is all I really wanted out of an adaptation of a VN that I would describe in the same way.

Finally got a chance to churn through the last few episodes of this, and I have to agree with pretty much everything you said. While I'm thankful they didn't bother weaving in Yuki's brainwashing into the final bit, it makes me wonder why they bothered wasting any time with her in the first half when there were so many other issues that needed to be fleshed out/added from the VN. The biggest one was the infiltration of DARPA's local base of operations to delete the AMADEUS program which is where you get the bulk of Maho's character arc. Plus, it has that great bit where they gently caress with Reyes with the fake deletion routine just to stall for time. That's one of my favorite parts of the VN.

Good additions include:
1. Making future Ruka a badass.
2. Giving AMADEUS Kurisu the last walk around to mirror the first show.
3. Going into waaaaay more detail regarding Okabe's 3,000 time leaps. Seriously, it is a plot point in the first VN that doing that caused Nae to go insane. (Though, I guess you could argue, she was already nuts from the SERN training and seeking revenge.) In the VN, they just gloss over that whole experience and don't address the plot whole that they go into in the anime.

On a last note, I'm wondering why they romanized DARPA as "DURPA" in all the localizations. DARPA is a public institution like the CIA (and they even write it as ダーパ). There's no legal reason they needed to change it. And, I guess the same thing could be said of "CERN" vs. "SERN", but it was romanized in the original game as "SERN" from day one, so I'll give that a pass. I can't remember if you see it romanized as "DURPA" anywhere in the original VN.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Good additions include:
1. Making future Ruka a badass.
2. Giving AMADEUS Kurisu the last walk around to mirror the first show.
3. Going into waaaaay more detail regarding Okabe's 3,000 time leaps. Seriously, it is a plot point in the first VN that doing that caused Nae to go insane. (Though, I guess you could argue, she was already nuts from the SERN training and seeking revenge.) In the VN, they just gloss over that whole experience and don't address the plot whole that they go into in the anime.

I'd say you missed all of episode 8 - really, really great decision to expand that one scene into an entire episode, and nice to see them tie that back into ep. 22 of the original show, where Kurisu shows up just after Okabe pushes the button on the IBN. Probably the best bit of the show, in my opinion.

All in all I'd say the VN was better, but ultimately it comes down to the way the VN was structured. The first game was more or less a straight shot to the end, with various points where the story could end prematurely if you made different choices rather than big branching changes to the main plot - made for something that was fairly easy to adapt into a show that worked really well. S;G 0 though, with its branching structure, made it a whole lot more difficult to adapt into a cohesive linear plot.

I actually thought the branching in the original game really weakened the main narrative, and I was hoping them trying to integrate everything into one story would improve things, but all it really did was force them to skip some of the better parts (like Kurisu from the Alpha worldline appearing within Amadeus as they destroy the system). Bit of a shame really, since I thought the original S;G show was better than the VN and hoped for the same here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

smenj posted:

I'd say you missed all of episode 8 - really, really great decision to expand that one scene into an entire episode, and nice to see them tie that back into ep. 22 of the original show, where Kurisu shows up just after Okabe pushes the button on the IBN. Probably the best bit of the show, in my opinion.

All in all I'd say the VN was better, but ultimately it comes down to the way the VN was structured. The first game was more or less a straight shot to the end, with various points where the story could end prematurely if you made different choices rather than big branching changes to the main plot - made for something that was fairly easy to adapt into a show that worked really well. S;G 0 though, with its branching structure, made it a whole lot more difficult to adapt into a cohesive linear plot.

I actually thought the branching in the original game really weakened the main narrative, and I was hoping them trying to integrate everything into one story would improve things, but all it really did was force them to skip some of the better parts (like Kurisu from the Alpha worldline appearing within Amadeus as they destroy the system). Bit of a shame really, since I thought the original S;G show was better than the VN and hoped for the same here.

I mentioned episode 8 in my post near the top of the page. I just forgot to reiterate it. But, yeah, that was probably the best addition they made in the show.

The one thing I will give S;G0 props for is, I feel it had better bad ends. With the possible exception of the bad ending relating to the fuckery with Nae and the Suzuha ending in the original, I think 0's dead ends added more to the characters. Too bad we won't be seeing any of them animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

As someone who didn't play the VN, this sequel lost me. Complete mess of plots that went nowhere and pacing that felt schizophrenic. It sounds like they could have adapted it better (different director and staff on S;G0), so credit to the VN there instead of the anime I guess, but I would never recommend this to someone who loved the first one. It's a drat shame, I had been looking forward to it too, and it had flashes of brilliance at points but that made it even more frustrating that it didn't end up go anywhere meaningful or interesting.