Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, remember when we used to do things, and how fun that was? Let's do a thing!

The BBC has just released a huge archive of sound effects from TV and radio shows. My understanding of their license is that it's entirely cool to use them for making music as long as we don't make any money off of it. Like most of you I'm really good at not making money from my music, so I figure we're in the clear. The archive is here:

http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

There's over 16,000 samples, covering everything from marching bands to parrot sounds to tea kettles boiling (it is the BBC after all). Everything is downloadable as wav files. So let's have a contest!

The Rule:

• You can only use sounds from this archive. No other instruments or sample sources will be allowed under penalty of death you being told you suck.

That's it for rules. Any genre, any length, any level of sample manipulation is allowed. Run a dog bark through an infinite reverb and chuck that into Kontakt to use as a pad. Trance gate a Napoleonic battle reenactment. If you do anything weird that turns out to be extra fun, please do post about it in the thread so we can all learn a thing.

When everything is done we'll post the results in GBS so that people can mock us and tell us whether we should kill our selfs (spoiler: they will say yes).

Post a link in the thread by June 6th at 6 PM *

*hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I will definitely check this out if for no other reason than I want to develop my sampling skills more. I usually make quick beats and if it’s cool I’ll post them here.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
By all means!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Holy poo poo yes. Going to show off how little I know about sampling.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just moved and haven't set up any of my audio stuff, but this sure as hell is good motivation to do so.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to make it a rule or anything because it might get tedious, but it could be cool when you share your music to keep track of which samples you used for it and post a list with your track. Just if you wanna.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Trig Discipline posted:

I don't want to make it a rule or anything because it might get tedious, but it could be cool when you share your music to keep track of which samples you used for it and post a list with your track. Just if you wanna.

Given the low chance of me getting this done I'll refrain from listing any samples to not block them from those who actually get stuff done.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Well would ya look at that I just bought a MPC. Sign me up!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh I didn't mean people should stake some sort of claim to a sample; I don't think anyone should be not using samples just because someone else did. In particular I'm sure a lot of us will be using some of those drum samples and synth tones.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

snorch posted:

Well would ya look at that I just bought a MPC. Sign me up!

Nice! What model did you end up getting?

I’m planning to dig through these samples tonight and see what I can come up with.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Nice! What model did you end up getting?

I’m planning to dig through these samples tonight and see what I can come up with.

Found a big screen 1000 on local Craigslist, but the fool who sold it hadn't unleashed full jjos on it and was instead using the gimped free version, which I tried to get friendly with, but I think the upgrade truly makes it worth it. So much smoother to work with.

BTW I find the site pretty awkward for browsing unless I'm missing something. There's no way to point it to a page in the URL so afaict you just have to either click your way through or feed it search words.

snorch fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 21, 2018

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Some of these are pretty good to listen to on their own.
"Women's Ward, atmosphere in ward with footsteps, coughing & some indistinct speech." on page 317 is pretty rad.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I love the old foley effects. You can tell how they did laser zaps on a synthesizer, but how exactly does one reproduce a minute of cricket noises?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If I remember right it's through a wooden thing that looks pretty similar to a duck caller.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

This one on page 637 made me laugh. I am 12.

Woodland edge, March - with robins, great tits and jays, distant traffic, 1981 (1B15 , reprocessed) (technical note: to be used at low level)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Thank goodness Satan for flexible deadlines.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my entire life has gone apeshit lately. All good stuff but a LOT of it. How about the new deadline is when/if we get enough submissions.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I started doing something for this then forgot about it. It wasn't very good

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If you're as annoyed as I am about the interface, the raw list of sounds is here: http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/assets/BBCSoundEffects.csv

I used that csv to download the lot via python script because I'm a monster. I really want to gin up a nice catalog with some spectral analysis and stuff but I've got a 14 month old so its taking me an eternity to find the time.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I found an idea that resonated with me, but got swamped house-hunting, populating said house with furniture, and work. Here's some demos for "what if old video game music, but custom tuning":

https://so-math.tumblr.com/post/173396736273/wow-the-low-sample-rate-really-sells-it-maybe-a
https://so-math.tumblr.com/post/173405516098/aw-man-an-old-ytpmv-account-i-liked-got-deleted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My song is in the fridge

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/0031-awfulbbc

Slapped it together last minute but hey it's something. Featuring sounds FROM INSIDE THE HUMAN BODY, PURE GOLD BEING HAMMERED BY A HAMMER, a DRAGON BURNING HIS HAND, AN EMERGENCY WARNING HORN and SPDIF GLITCHES!

Also featuring

snorch fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 6, 2018

• Locked thread