Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I know it's technically a 4 year old game or whatever but please be careful with spoilers since it's newly released on PC.

Specifically chaos blades but also other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Finally beat the game! I really like all the characters and hope Freya can be your friend again next game (despite the trailer shots...)

Does ng+ up the difficulty as well? Time to move up from standard, but I don't want to switch to challenge and then also get smacked by some ng+ shenanigans.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
:pcgaming:

Only took me 500 tries. Best boss battle of the last decade or so, strikes the perfect balance of being brutally difficult while still manageable if you can get yourself in the zone and learn all the attacks and combo variations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Only took me 500 tries. Best boss battle of the last decade or so, strikes the perfect balance of being brutally difficult while still manageable if you can get yourself in the zone and learn all the attacks and combo variations.

Congrats!

That's a bonkers achievement rate for what amounts to basically finishing the game and then some. People buying this game do so to get all the way through I guess.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The achievement rate for killing all the Valkyries is 12.6% on PS4. It's over twice the rate for finding all the ravens (5.8%). Tells you something, I think.

(The ravens are the least-attained trophy in the game, other than the Platinum (4.7%).)

(I guess it also bears mentioning that you can still kill the Valkyries on an easier difficulty, but finding the ravens is just offputtingly tedious however you configure the game.)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A lot of the Ravens are in somewhat easy spots to get to once you have travel to any gateway, but there’s a good half dozen to a dozen that have this “I have to backtrack all the way to there?” that would put people off.

Even if a Valkyrie is giving you trouble they all have easy access, and I don’t think any of them are that out of the way, except maybe Helheim/Alfheim ones.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PageMaster posted:

Finally beat the game! I really like all the characters and hope Freya can be your friend again next game (despite the trailer shots...)

Does ng+ up the difficulty as well? Time to move up from standard, but I don't want to switch to challenge and then also get smacked by some ng+ shenanigans.

There is some increased difficulty on NG+ even if you choose the same difficulty but in that case I think it mostly come from a few new attacks patterns to watch out for. If you finished a game with a bunch of upgrades on Normal and then start NG+ on Normal I think it would be pretty easy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fedule posted:

The achievement rate for killing all the Valkyries is 12.6% on PS4. It's over twice the rate for finding all the ravens (5.8%). Tells you something, I think.

(The ravens are the least-attained trophy in the game, other than the Platinum (4.7%).)

(I guess it also bears mentioning that you can still kill the Valkyries on an easier difficulty, but finding the ravens is just offputtingly tedious however you configure the game.)

Yeah going around hunting pixels is boring as hell, that's why. I've gotten a few ravens but I'm not the type to give a crap about that stuff.

I may or may not spend time doing the valkyries. depends on how frustrated I get. and also assumed that I will finish the game which is an open question

I just spend a while trying to release that loving dragon and I smashed the three things to release him and fought some of the enemies. But then some guys come out that I can't even really hurt and are basically instakills to me so I'm pretty sure i"m not really supposed to be doing this right now

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
First game I ever got platinum and I still want to play again. Sequel can’t come soon enough

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Anyone else play this game with m/kb? I just finished the game on the second-highest difficulty (including all the valkyries, and the ravens because I hate myself), and I'm hankering to play through it again on ng+ and wondering if I should change my controls.

It's obvious the game was made for controllers but I utterly despise using controllers in any game with heavy camera movement, so I went with kb/m and was much happier for it, but I'm wondering what kind of controls people used. I put aim on RMB and block on ctrl, but block is used a lot so that ended up feeling a little weird. The default block key of Q is garbage because it shares a finger with left strafe.

Maybe Q for sprint since you don't need strafe when using it and shift for block, but that'll mess a lot with muscle memory from 500 other games....

Anyway, absolutely loved the game and I'm extremely happy it was ported to PC. I hope it won't be a 3 year wait for the port of the sequel, because there's no way I'm buying a console for one game and being stuck with a controller is a no-go for me for sure.

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

Anyone else play this game with m/kb? I just finished the game on the second-highest difficulty (including all the valkyries, and the ravens because I hate myself), and I'm hankering to play through it again on ng+ and wondering if I should change my controls.

It's obvious the game was made for controllers but I utterly despise using controllers in any game with heavy camera movement, so I went with kb/m and was much happier for it, but I'm wondering what kind of controls people used. I put aim on RMB and block on ctrl, but block is used a lot so that ended up feeling a little weird. The default block key of Q is garbage because it shares a finger with left strafe.

Maybe Q for sprint since you don't need strafe when using it and shift for block, but that'll mess a lot with muscle memory from 500 other games....

Anyway, absolutely loved the game and I'm extremely happy it was ported to PC. I hope it won't be a 3 year wait for the port of the sequel, because there's no way I'm buying a console for one game and being stuck with a controller is a no-go for me for sure.

If you have a 5 button mouse, try binding the back button to block, forward button to recall axe, mouse wheel for arrow shooting, mouse wheel click to interact. It works for me very well.

I have tried controller for a long time until switching to kbm and have found dodging to be much easier that way.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I do, I've got heavy attack on forward and I'm experimenting with block on back. It makes combos a little funky and it's taking some getting used to but I think it's better overall. I've got recall on R and I'm happy with that, I think. Aim feels kinda wasted on RMB but it's another case of way too much muscle memory from other games to change it to something else.

How does mouse wheel on arrow shooting work for Atreus summons? Since that's hold by default.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 7, 2022

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

I do, I've got heavy attack on forward and I'm experimenting with block on back. It makes combos a little funky and it's taking some getting used to but I think it's better overall. I've got recall on R and I'm happy with that, I think. Aim feels kinda wasted on RMB but it's another case of way too much muscle memory from other games to change it to something else.

How does mouse wheel on arrow shooting work for Atreus summons? Since that's hold by default.

Aim left ctrl
Heavy attack left mouse click
Summon hold f, spam fire arrows mouse wheel down

Reason is that I use heavy attack more than aiming in combat

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I got this during the summer sale, what a game what a game. I'm having an absolute blast. Story is actually interesting, combat is engaging. I just got to Alfheim(sp?) and I'm having a real nightmare dealing with the loving dark elves. They just swarm me and even when I try and follow the hints and heavy attack / parry to break the swarm, it doesn't work well. They swap places with each other so much so I can't wipe them out one by one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Swat them out of the sky with the axe, have the boy stun them with light arrows and R3 them to bits.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I keep forgetting to use the boys arrows. Most of the time when I tell the boy to fire, his arrows don't do much.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's easy to overlook how useful the boy's arrows are but yeah, you wanna be upgrading and using them more often, they can be really helpful.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At this point in the game boy's arrows don't do a lot of damage, but they do cause flinch, so you can use him as a counter to enemy windups

Also, the elf blinding bombs can be neutralized by having Kratos not look at them. Turning away from them isn't always fast enough, but charging ahead so they're behind him when they go off works

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

haveblue posted:

At this point in the game boy's arrows don't do a lot of damage, but they do cause flinch, so you can use him as a counter to enemy windups

Also, the elf blinding bombs can be neutralized by having Kratos not look at them. Turning away from them isn't always fast enough, but charging ahead so they're behind him when they go off works

Charging towards a bomb because it's faster than turning around is such a Kratos thing to do

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's easy to overlook how useful the boy's arrows are but yeah, you wanna be upgrading and using them more often, they can be really helpful.

Yeah, try to get in to the habit of just constantly tapping the arrow button every few seconds during any combat. He's never going to do good DPS but he can debuff and interrupt certain attacks like some Valkyrie air attacks.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Mashing Circle+square is bread and butter escaping out of every situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Always prioritize upgrading BOY, and always prioritize BOY in combat.