Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
lol coming back to this game after having played LOTRO for a while, this game runs at a 100 mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I really wish I could like this game but there is so much jank, mostly I just cannot get past the animations. The way my wizard runs, how choppy melee animations look, uuugh. Is bard any better being newer?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Not really. Also, I agree with you. Pretty janky and floaty.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zam Wesell posted:

Not really. Also, I agree with you. Pretty janky and floaty.

I created a character in Neverwinter and one in DDO, neither which has been played at all (yet) because of time constraints during the weekdays. Anybody got any thoughts about either one, a comparison, or link to a non-official-but-great fan site with guides (like WoWHead for WoW)? Both characters are rogues, but DDO surprised me because I would have to basically p2w myself the gnome race ($20 for enough to “unlock” them). I’m trying to play whichever is easiest to solo through early-ish content without having to spend money before even starting (DDO gnome unlock is fine for me; it’s not the amount of money, and I’m not spending WoW-account money for a while). I know they are older games, too, but I need a game with a base level of solo capable content because I’m often called away with 0 notification before 10:30 pm and don’t want to impact another real live person’s play.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Neverwinter will fit you nicely, I think. Don't have to worry about grouping with others until endgame. Don't have to spend any money either, really, unless you want a faster mount or something like that.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zam Wesell posted:

Neverwinter will fit you nicely, I think. Don't have to worry about grouping with others until endgame. Don't have to spend any money either, really, unless you want a faster mount or something like that.

I’m fine with that, and because of real life time sinks, actually prefer to have some things (cosmetics, occasional clicky items or disguise-on-demand clickies, etc) available for purchase, but draw the line on actual p2w stuff like end-game capabilities or weapons/armors. Like I said, I would pay $20 for my very favorite character race if I was told it would then be possible to play for a long time casually and stay f2p.
I was leaning towards Neverwinter, but my one character I created ended up as a male halfling rogue, and I’ve played gnome (rarely play alts because of time and I like to play a focused on character all the way to end game) since day 1 EverQuest in 1999 (and rogue since 1989 AD&D on tt with my friend group).

I just really like to sneak and hide :smug:

Having played a lot of DDO and some of Neverwinter, the games are nothing alike. Neverwinter is a regular MMO with the D&D aspect kind of stapled on. DDO has a more genuine character building aspect, actual dungeon crawling, and sticks to D&D mechanics where possible. It’s not perfect of course, but if you’re actually looking for something that tried its best to emulate tabletop, it’s DDO and not Neverwinter.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ort posted:

Having played a lot of DDO and some of Neverwinter, the games are nothing alike. Neverwinter is a regular MMO with the D&D aspect kind of stapled on. DDO has a more genuine character building aspect, actual dungeon crawling, and sticks to D&D mechanics where possible. It’s not perfect of course, but if you’re actually looking for something that tried its best to emulate tabletop, it’s DDO and not Neverwinter.

Awesome! I also got Black Desert Online on Steam for free and already dl’ed it although I haven’t set it up or even looked much into it. I have a brand new desktop, but my old(er) rig only played WoW and a modded-for-graphics Skyrim. I can’t afford to drop a ton of money to just get basic functionality, but even in WoW it was possible to get PvE World Quests done casually or ad-hoc world bosses by hiding until an incoming guild started attacking (good enough for kill credit for questing).

So it sounds like I should spend $20 to unlock gnomes and play my own way for a while. Both games seem like fun, and I rarely worry about poo poo like having to live with 6 inventory slots instead of buying a bag of holding with 400 billion weightless giant-size slots. As I get near end-game of DDO and/or NW I may change my mind, but I’ve played MMOs for twenty two years and understand the difference in f2p as opposed to p2w.
Thanks again!

For what it’s worth, I always just do VIP for DDO so I can see all the content and races and stuff. It does have a steep price of admission for expansions but it’s a fun game doing the base quests too. I really like it, not many games like it these days.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
Alright, just rolled up a cleric to play a bit. Any decent guilds with goons in them?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

DankRhymer posted:

Alright, just rolled up a cleric to play a bit. Any decent guilds with goons in them?

nope, Something Lawful is looooooooong dead and pretty much nobody plays this game other than me and maybe 1-2 other people posting ITT. if you're looking for an active guild on PC, i'd recommend checking out the Pirate Code alliance, they have a bunch of different guilds for different play styles. I was in their main questing/events one for a while but just transferred to a slightly more inactive one because I couldn't keep up with the stronghold event schedule and wasn't contributing to the coffers enough lol

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I got a bee in my bonnet to play this game again for some reason. Didn't it used to have an offline adventure minigame? Is that still a thing?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

NeurosisHead posted:

I got a bee in my bonnet to play this game again for some reason. Didn't it used to have an offline adventure minigame? Is that still a thing?

I think you're thinking of the minigame from the official NW companion app/website, which was shut down in 2016. game still fun though :toot:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

barnold posted:

I think you're thinking of the minigame from the official NW companion app/website, which was shut down in 2016. game still fun though :toot:

I saw when I logged in that my last login was in 2015. After I spent the better part of a couple of hours learning how the game works now I agree, it's still pretty fun!

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I randomly got the urge to give this a shot (on Xbox Series X) but I can’t seem to get any of the DLC to install.

Any suggestions?(I’ve tried googling it).

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what happens if you just try to launch the game? there are no DLCs available for NW on Xbox that aren't Zen packs or chests, both of which are redeemable in-game

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
drat. No replies in almost 12 months. Guild dead, I guess?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

drat. No replies in almost 12 months. Guild dead, I guess?

barnold posted:

Something Lawful is looooooooong dead and pretty much nobody plays this game other than me and maybe 1-2 other people posting ITT.

...i mean yeah lmao. i haven't played much since the big rework since it took my endgame barb down to like a late mid-game level barb but i've been thinkin about playing again maybe

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Just started this game the day before yesterday and decided to see if there was a goon presence but it seems like that isn't the case. Well, if anyone plays on Playstation hit me up.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

she's dead jim but enjoy the game, it's a blast

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How's the new player experience now? I heard they changed the leveling system so that it's, to draw a comparison with the tabletop game, milestone based (ie you just level up along with the story as you do the quests instead of XP). That sounds cool to me, but I can also see how an unscrupulous F2P developer might exploit this to exhaust you into spending money and I'm curious if that's what they've done, or if it's pretty player friendly for the most part.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

functionally the journey from 1 to what is now level 20 is exactly the same, with the exception that "leveling up" is now milestone based rather than purely XP based as you've said. so there are a handful of leveling areas that were removed, but the main story is fundamentally the exact same and you are still playing through all of the major dungeons and plot points that you would have before. for me, progressing through the story was just as fun. the main story is separated into the "Campaigns" category, with all the endgame stuff now categorized as "Adventures" with repeating tasks

it has been a while since I logged into my bard, which was the only fresh character I played after the progression update, but I don't recall anything being particularly P2W with the main campaign. it really only kicks into high gear once you finish the campaign, but several of the endgame adventures were made a little easier (I pretty much insta-completed Tyranny of Dragons on my main character the first time I logged in after the update, which was arguably one of the grindiest parts of the game)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

barnold posted:

functionally the journey from 1 to what is now level 20 is exactly the same, with the exception that "leveling up" is now milestone based rather than purely XP based as you've said. so there are a handful of leveling areas that were removed, but the main story is fundamentally the exact same and you are still playing through all of the major dungeons and plot points that you would have before. for me, progressing through the story was just as fun. the main story is separated into the "Campaigns" category, with all the endgame stuff now categorized as "Adventures" with repeating tasks

it has been a while since I logged into my bard, which was the only fresh character I played after the progression update, but I don't recall anything being particularly P2W with the main campaign. it really only kicks into high gear once you finish the campaign, but several of the endgame adventures were made a little easier (I pretty much insta-completed Tyranny of Dragons on my main character the first time I logged in after the update, which was arguably one of the grindiest parts of the game)

That sounds kinda rad actually, maybe I'll jump back in and check it out. I can always quit if I don't like it I suppose

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

last time I played I hung out in Protector's Enclave for a while and it was pretty busy with player characters. one guy was trying to teach bards how to play songs with the number keys on the ocarina or whatever instrument it was. haven't seen that kind of community get-together in NW in a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-20 is basically a 4-5 hour tutorial on how to play the game. It’s kinda cool how they did it but also kind of exhausting for alts.