Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Hey not sure if this is the right forum for this type of question, but I've got a weird logistical setup so I've got to either figure out a configuration for my lap-top to stream through or some way to stream to a computer in a different room, but before I go ahead and dump all my tech info into a thread I just wanted to make sure this is the right place. If it is I'll edit this post with all the pertinent info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
well we've got almost 20 views and no reply, so a simple Yes/No would suffice for now, anyone?

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Whats up?

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Well ideally the goal would be to play, capture, and stream at the highest resolution and frame rate possible. I recently got an Elgato HD for capturing last gen and before, I'm fine with the built in streaming for ps4, and my pc can handle itself. But due to space constraints the pc and the tv with the older consoles are in different rooms, so that leaves me with using a middle of the road laptop.

I've messed around with adjusting resolution and frame rate on the console, capture, and stream, and I'm not sure what best practices are. If I set the stream to out put 480p i can have the display and capture at high resolutions, but obviously a 1080/720p PS3 game streaming at 480p doesn't look the greatest. If the game is older like a ps2 that displays at 480p or below it seems I can bump up the stream quality to 720p 30fps.

So i guess my basic question is are there any optimizations I can do to sqeeze more out of the laptop, or what are my options for streaming to the PC in the next room and still have access to a webcam and headset for voice.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
This isn't exactly in my normal scope but I've been doing some research. Is this the HD 60 or the HD 60 S? If the laptop tanks when you try to stream at 1080p then depending on budget the best option might be to build or get a small form factor PC that can handle the streaming. The new Intel Hades Canyon NUC is tiny and should more than exceed the hardware requirements listed for the device.

Since the Elgato outputs to the computer via USB 2.0 you could share the USB connection over the network. There is some software out there that would let you share your laptop's USB port over the network and there are also hardware USB over IP solutions as well. I have no idea how well it would work though.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Its actually the regular Elgato HD which is quite a few years old, it has a built in port and comes with a cable for getting around Sony's ant-capture propriety stuff they jammed into the ps3, obviously a decision they made before streaming was such the phenomenon it is today. It also came with a component connector which uses the same jack as the ps3, so for streaming older games it just seemed like the better option than the newer models which only have hdmi ports. Not familiar with usb sharing, but I think adding any additional computing power to the streaming set up would hurt the laptops performance, could be wrong though idk.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Well, if the laptop was sharing the USB port over the network then the PC would be doing the heavy lifting of running the Game Capture software and streaming, so the CPU usage on the laptop would be minimal. That being said I'd have my doubts that it would be able to work reliably for what you are trying to do.

Not much can be done to get more omph out of an older laptop in terms of processing. Consumer grade hardware is almost always locked to prevent overclocking. Might get some benefit from a cooling pad if its getting hot and throttling the processor to compensate. Also keeping it plugged in lets it use its full clock speed.

I'd say the best option if the laptop can't keep up would be to get a new laptop or a small form factor that is up to spec.

Wish I could be of more help. Let me know how it turns out and if anyone else has any insight on this I'm sure they will chirp in.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Myrridinos posted:

Well, if the laptop was sharing the USB port over the network then the PC would be doing the heavy lifting of running the Game Capture software and streaming, so the CPU usage on the laptop would be minimal. That being said I'd have my doubts that it would be able to work reliably for what you are trying to do.

Not much can be done to get more omph out of an older laptop in terms of processing. Consumer grade hardware is almost always locked to prevent overclocking. Might get some benefit from a cooling pad if its getting hot and throttling the processor to compensate. Also keeping it plugged in lets it use its full clock speed.

I'd say the best option if the laptop can't keep up would be to get a new laptop or a small form factor that is up to spec.

Wish I could be of more help. Let me know how it turns out and if anyone else has any insight on this I'm sure they will chirp in.

thanks for the input appreciate it, there were some things i was able to do to squeeze more out of the lap top initially like using xsplit instead of the elgato software, 720 was literally unwatchable on that bloated platform. Turning off auto-recording, and making sure nothing was runnin in the background got me almost to the point of being able to stream a 720p game in 720, but just not quite there.

I'm also considering running like a huge usb extension cable between the rooms to a usb hub possibly? I haven't looked at the prices of those yet but I'm assuming it would be cheaper than buying a new lap top or streaming rig. I'm kind of worried about usb hubs though, my brother has fried his components in the past using those.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Longest you could go with a USB cable would be 15 feet or so before needing a powered active hub to re-transmit.

If you were going to run a cable I would check out a pair of USB over Cat5e/Cat6 adapters which can be had for ~$15

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ex...s=usb+over+cat5

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
wow, those look pretty neat. Do you have any advice about usb hubs?

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Not particularly other than stay away from anything super cheap.
I would try the usb over ethernet before daisy chaining powered USB hubs. Less of a chance of causing an electrical issue and cheaper to implement.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
errr i was thinking about using that usb ethernet from the pc in the next room to a usb hub next to the tv. then plugging the elgato, webcam, and usb microphone into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Gotcha.

I've had decent luck with these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Indi...usb+powered+hub

• Locked thread