Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
As a little kid, arcade games always seemed to be for teens, and then everyone had consoles, so I guess the 80s/90s split is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My Charles Entertainment Cheese had that Dragon's Lair game. Was there a worse value in gaming? I still remember playing it tho.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress dragons lair

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I used to go to this Chuck E Cheese's in San Jose that turned out to be one of the flagship locations. It looked like a big castle and had two levels. You could see it from 101,with this loving humongous rat standing on display for drivers passing by. When I was a kid my dad would help me cheat in skeeball and that bowler roller game.

People talked about parents getting drunk but the ones I went to didn't serve alcohol so I'm assuming parents are smuggling in bud lites in their kids sippy cups or something.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The only Chuck E. Cheese I know of within an hour's drive is 15 minutes away and tucked in the far corner of the parking lot of a stagnated mall. It never ceases to amaze me every time I hear that it's still open, since I haven't been there since I was like 12. Therein lies my pizza mouse arcade story.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The roles are reversed now because on the exceedingly rare occasion that you can find a modern fighting game arcade machine, there's a good chance there's gonna be an adult man in an animal suit hogging the thing.

I'm only partially joking too - one of the best fighting game competition guys in the world just upgraded from playing with a furry hat to competing in a full fursuit

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

vyst posted:

gently caress dragons lair
:agreed: I cannot remember if it was a 25 or 50 cent game but I do remember I played it maybe once or twice because it wasn't fun and unless you knew what to do ahead of time it was over in a minute.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sten Freak posted:

:agreed: I cannot remember if it was a 25 or 50 cent game but I do remember I played it maybe once or twice because it wasn't fun and unless you knew what to do ahead of time it was over in a minute.

Even if you did iirc it's like five minutes long. It's basically pay to play QTEs. i wonder why phone games don't do that yet.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

fun fact: that's a trained rat and this whole thing is a weird NYC performance art thing from a rat trainer

more of their work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SPbKjVIrxg

Ruining the magic of NYC.gif man

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Sten Freak posted:

Pffft more like a dollar for those laser disc arcade games!

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I almost wasted money on that hologram cowboy game but some random kid warned me that it was even worse than Dragon’s Lair and that kid is basically my hero and that event helped forge me into the jaded adult I am today.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Time Traveler? It was the worst and was incidentally made by the same dude who made Dragon's Lair

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Tim Wilson sang it best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6MXr3yQZ2o

"And if you haven't taken your child to Chuck E. Cheese, ya suck as a parent."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

The concept unification of Chuck E. Cheese is one of the most existentially sad things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacFoon
Jul 25, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Showbiz pizza was awesome. Won a super soaker 100, helped me win squirt gun fights many a time. The robots were fun to watch, too, even if the songs were easy to forget.

Changed over into Chuck E. Cheese's in between family birthdays. Noticed the animals puppets were different and sang different songs.

The original animatronic figurines and their replacements were totally forgettable to me and the people I know. I guess we were just sticking our heads in the sand while the violent nation-wide rioting caused by the conflict between the fans of the Billy Bob Bear administration, and the violence doled out by the Rat King and his army of psychophants. Only after the last bomb has dropped, the last ticket has been taken, the last prize has been given out, and the last song has been sung, can we as citizens of the world evaluate exactly what the gently caress happened. In documentary form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTmhS6hcY-A

The Rock Afire Documentary is a pro-watch.

Showbiz Pizza was so much better than Chuck E Cheese in every way (Except that their pizza was terrible)

They also had some bad ideas, like this...thing: :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ43oCnPbSk

(They converted a bunch of them to Santa Claus, which was also still horrifying:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baqtCXzmFbo :gonk:

I remember that there was a goon who was close with the insane Chuck E Cheese/Showbiz Pizza fandom and had some crazy stories long ago...

MacFoon fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 1, 2018

• Locked thread