Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So, OK.

I am, at a far older age than normal because I'm disabled, moving to a place of my own. It'll be my first time living on my own since college dorms, an experience that was, shall we say, not highly successful.

I'll likely be moving into a condo in Florida, to be exact, when I've previously lived in the house I grew up in in New Jersey.

Condo specs:

1st floor condo, 600 sq feet indoors plus two enclosed porches.

Most of the floors will be tile, bedroom will be some form of linoleum, probably with area rugs.

Budget is unknown at this point (Condo will technically be owned/paid for by parents with me paying rent to them). Parents are doing most of the furnishing/equipping because I'm on social security disability and could not afford much of it.

Questions I'm wondering:

1. I have anterolisthesis, basically arthritis in my back. Hence, using a vacuum might be hard. Has been to date. Should I be looking into a Roomba or other kind of robot vacuum, given the flooring and position setup mentioned above, or would those not be effective?
2. I'm also mostly blind. Any other bits of tech not-commonly-thought of people would suggest for common cleaning tasks, etc etc?

The reason I'm focusing on tech is simple: If it hurts to do it, I am less likely to bother doing necessary tasks. If tech can minimize my need to endure pain in activities of daily living like keeping my condo clean and stuff, it's more likely to happen and thus this whole thing is more likely to not turn out a horrible failure.

(I'm trying not to be all E/N but yes I am very conflicted about and kinda scared about living on my own - in a new state no less!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Rechargeable battery vacuum cleaners are much lighter than corded ones. Depending on your back they might work well for you.

I've played with GTech brand, not sure if you can get them in the us. They look like toys when compared to a Dyson, but I think they work just fine. Cheaper and lighter.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I have a bad back and some chronic pain conditions, and also live in FL.

If your place is mostly tile, you don't even necessarily have to vacuum and a wet swiffer sweeper will do the trick. Its flexible and light, and may be easier since all you have to do is push it around. They also make a sort of sponge on a stick wih a flexible base for cleaning the tub, again so you don't have to bend your back.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Does your area have an organization for the visually impaired? The one in town here has a shop with cool helpful tools for daily living.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife and I have a Roomba and it's rad, but we also took it out of our neighbor's trash and only spent $100 on replacement parts rather than a few hundred dollars on an entirely new one. We have all hardwood flooring and it works great on that, though you will have to bend down to clean it out every so often (ours is set to run daily because we have a little dog that sheds a lot). If cost is an issue a friend of mine has an off-brand model that does well with her two cats, I'll try to get the name next time I see her.

At the same time a Swiffer Wet also works wonders and is pretty easy to use. If you're comfortable mopping in your condition then I'd go with that, but if you have the money for a robo-vacuum then go for it.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

spog posted:

Rechargeable battery vacuum cleaners are much lighter than corded ones. Depending on your back they might work well for you.

I've played with GTech brand, not sure if you can get them in the us. They look like toys when compared to a Dyson, but I think they work just fine. Cheaper and lighter.

With a cannister vacuum you are only holding a empty tube and a bit of plastic hose, not sure how adding lithium batteries makes it lighter.
Roomba's and other robot vacuums look like toys, they might help extend the period you can go between real cleanings but i wouldn't want to rely on one as my primary vacuum.
As domestic chores go vacuuming is relatively light, if you can't manage that you are going to have issues with other tasks as well. Might as well suck it up and budget for a cleaning person to come by once a week for a few hours.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Remember, you'll need to bend down and pick the loving thing up all the time. To empty and clean it.
Get a cleaner in 3-4 times a year or a stick vac.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Roombas are okay at keeping dust levels low, but you need to do some vacuuming yourself where it can't reach.

I'm guessing Florida is peak FYGM territory but there has to be some sort of assistance or grant that you can apply for to help pay for a cleaner?

e: Or perhaps it's possible to install a central vacuum system - then you only have to carry the hose around. I have no idea how expensive that is though.

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 6, 2018

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Lima posted:

perhaps it's possible to install a central vacuum system - then you only have to carry the hose around. I have no idea how expensive that is though.

It's easy enough to DIY this with a shop vac and pvc, though it might look a little silly. Just bribe a handy friend, family member or neighbor with beer or cookies or something.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Update: After testing an absurdly light cordless vac with my parents, it looks like those should be possible.

How effective they are at, y'know, cleaning is a whole separate issue but! No Roomba needed, tho other techie ideas would be welcome. This thread has already been very helpful.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spacewolf posted:

Update: After testing an absurdly light cordless vac with my parents, it looks like those should be possible.

How effective they are at, y'know, cleaning is a whole separate issue but! No Roomba needed, tho other techie ideas would be welcome. This thread has already been very helpful.

The trick is to clean frequently: running it around once a week is quick and simple

Don't be a stereotypical goon and only do the vacuuming when your floor has so many dropped cheetos on it that it makes a crunching sound when you walk on it.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
This is a helpful tip I shall save for later reference. Thanks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lima posted:

I'm guessing Florida is peak FYGM territory but there has to be some sort of assistance or grant that you can apply for to help pay for a cleaner?

florida is where most of the east coast goes to die so they have a very robust market for products and services for mobility impaired people due to age and or disability

Spacewolf posted:

if you dont have carpets than some kind of light mop like a swiffer would be adequate to pick up dirt, so long as your furniture is easy to get under

also hire a maid to come in once a month or so to do the detailing

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I live in a 750 square foot apartment and a cordless Dyson v6 is my primary and only vacuum, i have entirely wooden, lino and tile floors though so other than 2 rugs, it doesnt have any carpet to deal with. I spend 10 minutes running it around once a week and it works great, no need at all for a full stand up vacuum. I'd highly recommend it

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Ahdinko posted:

I live in a 750 square foot apartment and a cordless Dyson v6 is my primary and only vacuum, i have entirely wooden, lino and tile floors though so other than 2 rugs, it doesnt have any carpet to deal with. I spend 10 minutes running it around once a week and it works great, no need at all for a full stand up vacuum. I'd highly recommend it

Thanks for the rec, I'll have to ask parents specifically what model they got for me. (I didn't check for that, more "does this hurt back Y/N?" when I was using it.) Knowing my dad there were coupons involved, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If it were me I'd go for something like a Miele C1, with attachments for crevasses and baseboards, etc. But I have allergies so a good bagged vacuum is important to me.

Something else to think about is comfortable cleaning tools for the tub/shower and toilet. Maybe a good brush on a stick would work for scrubbing the tub, or maybe somebody has a better suggestion (maid).

• Locked thread