Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

I'm a warrior seeking peace and an end to bloodshed. I'm on a pilgrimage to the Temple to No Gods in the distant City of Gulls. I have a globe of alchemical flame and a crossing and crisscrossing of scars. My pilgrimage has brought me to the Valley of Blades, inhabited by followers of a grim torturer-devil. My goal is to pass safely through and continue on my pilgrimage.

You, Game Room people, play the world. Your goal is to see me to my doom, instead of safely on my way. You're allowed only to directly answer my direct questions, though, so you might not be able to do it.

The rules:
  1. Only answer my questions (which will be bolded).
  2. If I ask several, only answer one; let others answer the rest.
  3. If you don't know the answer, make something up.
  4. Keep your answers short.
  5. If your answer's disruptive, I'll ignore it.
  6. Otherwise, I have to go with the first I get.
You can post the phrase 'no gods watch over you' to show that you're following the game.

I came here from a vast, exposed desert, pursued by bandits who gave up the chase when they deduced my heading. Not more than a hour into my journey here I found a gutted, desiccated carcass strung up in warning, and then I understood. It seems the rumours of this place – too hideous to speak of but in whispers – are more than just a convenient shield for weary travellers. Night is falling, and though I make camp I dare not light a fire.

Something warns me of approaching danger. What warns me? Anyone should answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
People know that fires at night mean you can be seen. A light heading your way means they're not worried about that.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Elfface posted:

People know that fires at night mean you can be seen. A light heading your way means they're not worried about that.
They must have spotted me in the day, or by some ethereal means. One means I can hide, the other that I must fight or flee. Either way, the light comes for me.

Is there anywhere nearby I can hide? Anyone should answer.

What, if anything, do I hear in the distance as the light draws closer? Anyone should answer.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 4, 2018

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hiding is no easy matter in this dead desiccated land. The only feature close-by is the dead tree the corpse is strung up on.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Fathis Munk posted:

Hiding is no easy matter in this dead desiccated land. The only feature close-by is the dead tree the corpse is strung up on.
Nowhere, then. I head for higher ground, quietly crawling over rocks and sandy dirt.

Does the light react to my movement? Anyone should answer.

Further:

UnCO3 posted:

What, if anything, do I hear in the distance as the light draws closer? Anyone should answer.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The distinctive jingling of spurs is undercut by chilling sounds you've never heard from beast nor man.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 4, 2018

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The distinctive jingling of spurs is undercut by chilling sounds you've never heard from beast nor man.
I would have been safer with the bandits.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The light creeps inexorably closer, it's speed and direction unchanged.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
No gods watch over you.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Fathis Munk posted:

The light creeps inexorably closer, it's speed and direction unchanged.
There's nothing for it, then. I break into a low run up the valleyside, letting scree clatter down in my wake.

Can I outpace this threat? Anyone should answer.

What form of habitation can I see from my new vantage? Anyone should answer.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

UnCO3 posted:

What form of habitation can I see from my new vantage? Anyone should answer.

Even in the darkness you can make out a honeycomb of tunnels in a ravine ahead, torchlight wavering from their depths.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

malbogio posted:

Even in the darkness you can make out a honeycomb of tunnels in a ravine ahead, torchlight wavering from their depths.
A good place to lose one's way, no doubt, followed by one's feet, hands, skin...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

UnCO3 posted:

Can I outpace this threat? Anyone should answer.
Not without leaving some equipment behind.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Not without leaving some equipment behind.
I spin and hurl my globe of alchemical flame at whatever it is that follows the light. A jet of black and blood-coloured flame bursts out of the shattered glass.

What fragments of the entity do I half-glimpse among the embers? Anyone should answer.

I quicken my pace and outdistance the creature. Eventually I find myself in the shadow of a rock spire - hidden on high ground, safe, but trapped. I turn my gaze to the East, where I was originally headed.

Is the route to the East open? Anyone should answer.

How is the deeper part of the valley, where I fled from the creature? Anyone should answer.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

UnCO3 posted:

What fragments of the entity do I half-glimpse among the embers? Anyone should answer.

Tongues, many tongues, lashing out in pain and curiosity. Tasting the air, fanning the flames, writhing glistening.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

UnCO3 posted:

Is the route to the East open? Anyone should answer.

Open country dotted with islands of intricately carved rock formations and clumps of razor-brush.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

UnCO3 posted:

How is the deeper part of the valley, where I fled from the creature? Anyone should answer.

The winds here are bone-chilling, but even they can’t cover up the sounds of chanting and pistons from up ahead.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Fathis Munk posted:

Tongues, many tongues, lashing out in pain and curiosity. Tasting the air, fanning the flames, writhing glistening.
It feels pain - but does it feel fear?

Open country dotted with islands of intricately carved rock formations and clumps of razor-brush.
I should be able to lose any pursuers beyond the rocks.

malbogio posted:

The winds here are bone-chilling, but even they can’t cover up the sounds of chanting and pistons from up ahead.
I see cruelty never tires.

I slowly creep back down the shadowed valleyside, taking a circuitous route far from my original ascent. I can feel the stars watching me, mercurial white eyes in the black.

Are there any sentries or others between me and the bottom of the valley? Anyone should answer.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

UnCO3 posted:

Are there any sentries or others between me and the bottom of the valley? Anyone should answer.

The very stones mock and jeer, whispering to any who would hear.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

inscrutable horse posted:

The very stones mock and jeer, whispering to any who would hear.
At last I reach the base of the valley, a winding trail of cracked, flaky earth that must have once been a streambed. The wind is quieter here. I must be careful.

What do I hear the stones whisper? Anyone should answer.

Is there a clear path up the other side of the valley? Anyone should answer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

UnCO3 posted:

What do I hear the stones whisper? Anyone should answer.

The stones whisper warnings of the restless dead, those buried by the clay and sand of this unforgiving waste, killed by beasts and weather, thirst and starvation, and covered by the rolling of time's ever-forward march.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

UnCO3 posted:

Is there a clear path up the other side of the valley? Anyone should answer.

No, it is filled by a wall of ancient wreckage which looms overhead, its gate guarded by a lone jittering silhouette.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

No gods watch over you.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Junpei posted:

The stones whisper warnings of the restless dead, those buried by the clay and sand of this unforgiving waste, killed by beasts and weather, thirst and starvation, and covered by the rolling of time's ever-forward march.
I lack the time to listen to the words of the weak.

malbogio posted:

No, it is filled by a wall of ancient wreckage which looms overhead, its gate guarded by a lone jittering silhouette.
I duck down and continue close to the ground, hiding amongst the detritus.

Does the sentinel seem to know I'm here? Anyone should answer.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

UnCO3 posted:

Does the sentinel seem to know I'm here? Anyone should answer.

At first the sentinel’s movements appear aimless, but as you move closer the feints end and it narrows the distance with inhuman jerks and lunges.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

malbogio posted:

At first the sentinel’s movements appear aimless, but as you move closer the feints end and it narrows the distance with inhuman jerks and lunges.
I scramble back, taking no care to hide myself, and flash through my options. With my alchemical flame gone, I have no weapons but my body and mind.

Can I evade and outpace the sentinel? Anyone should answer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

UnCO3 posted:

Can I evade and outpace the sentinel? Anyone should answer.

No, you cannot evade it, but you could hide from it.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Junpei posted:

No, you cannot evade it, but you could hide from it.
If I hide here I'll surely find myself in a stalemate, and whoever or whatever is at work in the tunnels will surely find me in turn.

Is there anything else nearby I can use as a weapon? Anyone should answer.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

UnCO3 posted:

Is there anything else nearby I can use as a weapon? Anyone should answer.

Some of the sharper rocks whisper invitingly.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Some of the sharper rocks whisper invitingly.
I snatch one up and lunge at the fast-approaching sentinel - I might be able to overpower it. I can see its form in the starlit semi-darkness and I aim my strike between its clavicles, dodging past its weapon - or arm? - inside its guard.

Does the blow stun the sentinel? Anyone should answer.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

UnCO3 posted:

Does the blow stun the sentinel? Anyone should answer.

Your strike makes a crunching sound as it shatters dry bones, instead of hitting flesh. Whatever you're fighting is clearly not alive. It's not stunned, but it loses its balance and stumbles backward, swinging widely with its rusty sword.
The stone in your hand stops whispering after it makes contact with your enemy. You notice two tiny blue flames in the eyesockets of the sentinel's empty skull. You're sure those were not there before you hit it.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

ShadowGlass posted:

Your strike makes a crunching sound as it shatters dry bones, instead of hitting flesh. Whatever you're fighting is clearly not alive. It's not stunned, but it loses its balance and stumbles backward, swinging widely with its rusty sword.
The stone in your hand stops whispering after it makes contact with your enemy. You notice two tiny blue flames in the eyesockets of the sentinel's empty skull. You're sure those were not there before you hit it.
Not good - the creature may kill me here. It redoubles its assault and it's all I can do to duck and weave between its strikes, stumbling backwards with every lunge.

Do I have a chance to get away? Anyone should answer.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

UnCO3 posted:

Do I have a chance to get away? Anyone should answer.

The land near the wall is plain and flat. The gate is still far away and on the opposite side of the sentinel. The wall is closer but offers a treacherous and jagged climb.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

malbogio posted:

The land near the wall is plain and flat. The gate is still far away and on the opposite side of the sentinel. The wall is closer but offers a treacherous and jagged climb.
I toss the inert rock at the sentinel and make a break for the wall. In moments I'm far above the ground, hastily clambering to the stars. Razor edges slice through my flesh and my blood drips and drains through the ruined blocks, but no matter - these wounds will only add to the well-worn map of scars on my body.

I descend the other side as swiftly as I climbed and dart off into the night. Soon I reach the end of the Valley of Blades and I'm happy to put it behind me.

The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
No gods watch over you.

• Locked thread