Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

third hot take in a row unfortunately but your dictionary is loving garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
i like the music in Your Dictionary but the lyrics are def some of my least favorite of theirs

vvv - same

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 24, 2018

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Easter Theatre is super inspired and is probably my favorite post skylarking track. I love how jarring some of the chord progressions are and how it coalesces into that chorus. Really amazing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I adore Your Dictionary, music and lyrics. It's very self-consciously dumb and overly twee while still feeling heartfelt, in a way that reminds me of Ween or maybe Of Montreal at their best.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Astrochicken posted:

Easter Theatre is super inspired and is probably my favorite post skylarking track. I love how jarring some of the chord progressions are and how it coalesces into that chorus. Really amazing.

i'm continually amazed as i dig through stuff i haven't heard or further digest xtc stuff i have that the song structure is so oddly atypical at times and it's really fascinating. like, the sort of "bridge" section of mayor of simpleton is a) loving brilliant/fastastic but b) also takes place in exactly the middle of the song

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Rollersnake posted:

I adore Your Dictionary, music and lyrics. It's very self-consciously dumb and overly twee while still feeling heartfelt, in a way that reminds me of Ween or maybe Of Montreal at their best.

i've realized that he was trying to be goofy with the lyrics more as my appreciation for apple venus has grown, but i still feel like the ones on your dictionary are pretty bad. i much prefer something like "so high like a really thing say a sunflower" as being kind of goofy and a manufactured pause/struggle from a guy that always spoke exclusively in imagery

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
XTC are easily one of my favorite bands of all time, and Skylarking will never not be my favorite album of all time. I got introduced to them 25 years ago by a particularly quirky high school girlfriend and they've been in constant rotation ever since.

I've been trying to conceptualize an idea for a full sleeve tattoo piece based on every song from Skylarking for a few years now. Some of the songs do not necessarily lend themselves to translating to a visual medium :D.

(p. s. I was one of those people who even loved Apple Venus and Wasp Star.)

The XTC documentary has been on one of the premium cable channels here and there recently. Worth checking out.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

folks: i just listened to the 2016 stereo remix of skylarking and i gotta tell you guys, it's like listening to a whole new album. seriously. it's roughly a billion times more immersive and less fatiguing than the other versions. the vocals are clearer, the strings are more prominent, and the reverb, which used as it turns out creatively to emphasize/de-emphasize certain parts of the songs, is much easier to differentiate now. it's life changing, as skylarking has become a favorite album over the last couple months, and jesus christ, it's even better now. it makes me wish all albums could sound like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Astrochicken posted:

heh, apparently andy worked out the melody for it with colin during the production of skylarking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5QFj7mYSLc

• Locked thread