Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

but seriously folks, agenda here, keynote 10 am pdt tomorrow.

my friend is onstage on wednesday hope he breaks a leg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I've been farting a LOT today

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m so excited about the, um, something something machine learning hand waving thing they’re going to introduce!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

a bit of the ol google in out in out

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfYd705cRs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

remember when duo and allo were going to take over the world? lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no I don't remember that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wow, pushing more features into maps sure is a thing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I missed most of the stream. did they announce something good? like maybe canceling android.

did anyone say machine learning?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is google

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
the assistant can make retail drone lives a living hell by booking reservations for you and not telling them they're talking to a machine

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Management posted:

I missed most of the stream. did they announce something good? like maybe canceling android.

did anyone say machine learning?
The AR walking mode looks cool and good, there were a bunch of nifty things really but the mind blower one was assistant calling real people: https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/05/duplex-ai-system-for-natural-conversation.html?m=1

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
anyone jumping out of an airplane to deliver a transformers dvd (twice)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the assistant can make retail drone lives a living hell by booking reservations for you and not telling them they're talking to a machine

I listened to one of their phone call recordings and it was... Interesting

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/05/duplex-ai-system-for-natural-conversation.html

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 9, 2018

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Shaggar posted:

no I don't remember that

remember when windows phone would....oh wait

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the fact that the livestream thread didn’t make it to page 2 pretty much says it all about the stuff google showed off

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i would have watched if i had known because i love corp keynotes unironically

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/8/17328828/google-io-keynote-summary-highlights-news-recap-2018

watching this it doesnt look like they announced anything im gonna use or care about

poty fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 9, 2018

poty
Jun 21, 2008

ok google lens is cool. plenty of apps have ocr though i use scanner pro

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

maybe we should ask what dyp thinks of googles phone talking robots

Wasabi the J posted:

if anything can help me work around my loving anxiety, especially with phone calls, I will pay for that poo poo in a heartbeat.

AlexDeGruven posted:

loving this 100%.

I absolutely hate calling people, especially those with whom I don't have a preexisting relationship. Cold calling anyone literally takes several minutes for me to get over that hump and dial.

Online ordering for food has been a godsend, and adding that capability where it doesn't currently exist will save me and everyone around me a lot of hassle.

bull3964 posted:

Here's the thing.

Human interaction as it relates to booking an appointment isn't human interaction.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

what the gently caress is wrong with these people

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Management posted:

wow, pushing more features into maps sure is a thing
The weird thing is, I could have sworn that having maps learn people's individual interests/preferences to give them targeted suggestions was supposed to be the key feature of the new version of google maps that was rolled out like 5 years ago?

https://lifehacker.com/access-classic-google-maps-through-this-url-1598011643

quote:

With regard to features, the biggest difference between the old and the new version of Maps, though, is that this new version is completely personalized for every user.

I guess good that it's actually going to do what it was supposed to already be doing and this is a huge exciting announcement?

My general impression of google's announcements: it's really weird that it was all focused on AI stuff that seems to have very little to do with any of Google's actual existing products other than smart speakers. (Incidentally, my coworker who owns Google stock and is obsessed with smart speakers was insistent that Duplex is all about smart speakers, even though I don't see why that would be better than pushing a button to make a reservation unless you've already heavily consumed the smart speaker coolaid?)

I do think that Duplex is actually going to be great for people who hate using the phone. Assuming it isn't cancelled or immediately sued out of existence, stores are going to hate it so much that it will probably kill phone numbers for good (maybe this is the real goal?).

Also if Google News is really going to switch to just pulling in random stuff from the web through the magic of AI that's really going to be terrifying and useless. I guess the existing site just isn't sexy enough for Google now/

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 9, 2018

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i suspect phone call receivers will hate duplex at first and then not mind it too much once they learn how to identify duplex callers and how to navigate the "conversation" as quickly as possible

which is sort of the opposite of what google is hoping for

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
google loving hates the pots system and yeah this is a way to make it worthless

i'm certainly never answering the telephone again

coke
Jul 12, 2009
eh, it seems cool and good if it can answer all of my incoming spam calls and auto connect to a live human and berate them to stop calling me

the spam calls seems to be getting noticeably worse within the past few months using local exchange number spoofing and all

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

maybe we should ask what dyp thinks of googles phone talking robots

do you know what cures being afraid of talking to other humans? it sure as gently caress isn’t hiding behind a robot for making even the most simple phone calls.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Plorkyeran posted:

i suspect phone call receivers will hate duplex at first and then not mind it too much once they learn how to identify duplex callers and how to navigate the "conversation" as quickly as possible

which is sort of the opposite of what google is hoping for

“hi, James’s pizza, are you a real human?”

now the question becomes how does duplex answer that? if it tells the truth, it’s going to get hung up on. if it lies, that’s going to be a pr disaster for google.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The Management posted:

“hi, James’s pizza, are you a real human?”

now the question becomes how does duplex answer that? if it tells the truth, it’s going to get hung up on. if it lies, that’s going to be a pr disaster for google.

in the Otherland novels by Tad Williams, on that future version of the internet, you're allowed to ask if anyone is a real human and they have to answer truthfully. It's rude to do so though, unless you know for sure it's an AI agent. The main character does this once and it turns out she's talking to a real person, but he's so by the book and dull that she was sure he was a robit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the short term will be AI on the receiving end to handle these calls as well and then once AI recognizes AI they will switch to some kind of data modulation and then eventually Ai to Ai will know to just use out of band signaling which will remove the need for pstn involvement at all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
NEO: are you saying i can dodge shaggar posts?
MORPHEUS: im saying, when you're ready, you won't have to

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

NEO: are you saying i can dodge shaggar posts?
MORPHEUS: im saying, when you're ready, you won't have to

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

the short term will be AI on the receiving end to handle these calls as well and then once AI recognizes AI they will switch to some kind of data modulation and then eventually Ai to Ai will know to just use out of band signaling which will remove the need for pstn involvement at all.
Yes, this is clearly ultimately the logical solution to allowing small businesses to automatically accept reservations over the internet. Having ais check if phone numbers are being handled by other ais so they can avoid making telephone calls.

mystes fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 10, 2018

poty
Jun 21, 2008

if the duplex thing gets any traction businesses will just lobby so a register of numbers that can’t get called by AI is created

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

broke brains that consider telephones a hobby don't like talking to people? why i never would have guessed!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

the answer may surprise you!

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

severe social anxiety probably. but google aint targeting to help people who have to navigate mental issues, they're marketing towards 'busy' people who don't have time to make a quick phone call. the kind of people who answer the phone with the phrase 'talk to me', or insists on phoning you with awful bluetooth, or will, mid conversation, ask their phone's personal assistant to do something, and have you wait as they repeat the command over and over till the phone gets it right.

maybe shop owners wouldn't mind dealing with duplex, they'd mind having to deal with the kind of people who use duplex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://www.axios.com/google-ai-demo-questions-9a57afad-9854-41da-b6e2-5e55b619283e.html

people are questioning whether the google call for a hair appointment thing was staged:

quote:

When you call a business, the person picking up the phone almost always identifies the business itself (and sometimes gives their own name as well). But that didn't happen when the Google assistant called these "real" businesses:

When the hair salon picks up, a woman says: "Hello, how can I help you?"
When the restaurant picks up, a woman says: "Hi, may I help you?"

Axios called over two dozen hair salons and restaurants — including some in Google's hometown of Mountain View — and every one immediately gave the business name.

There also does not seem to be ambient noise in either recording, such as hair dryers or plates clattering. We heard that in most of the businesses we called, but not in all.

Finally, neither the hair salon nor the restaurant ask for the customer's phone number or any other contact information.
Google's reply

Axios asked Google for the name of the hair salon or restaurant, in order to verify both that the businesses exist and that the calls were not pre-planned. We also said that we'd guarantee, in writing, not to publicly identify either establishment (so as to prevent them from receiving unwanted attention).

A longtime Google spokeswoman declined to provide either name.

We also asked if either call was edited, even perhaps just cutting the second or two when the business identifies itself. And, if so, were there other edits? The spokeswoman declined comment, but said she'd check and get back to us. She didn't.

So we sent a new message, this time also copying another member of Google's communications team. The spokeswoman replied by saying she'd get right back to us.

That was more than a day ago.

• Locked thread