Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
April Match of the Month
This poll is closed.
Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurrl 7 5.79%
Kazuchika Okada vs Zack Sabre Jr 12 9.92%
Matt Riddle vs Will Ospreay 3 2.48%
WALTER vs PCO 13 10.74%
NXT Ladder Match 15 12.40%
Andrade Almas vs Aleister Black 5 4.13%
Tomasso Ciampa vs Johnny Gargano 25 20.66%
Zabit Magomedshapirov vs Kyle Bochniak 2 1.65%
Charlotte Flair vs Asuka 4 3.31%
The Undertaker vs John Cena 4 3.31%
The Bar vs Braun Strowman & Nicholas 4 3.31%
Alex Oliveira vs Carlos Condit 1 0.83%
Dustin Poirier vs Justin Gaethje 7 5.79%
Shingo Takagi vs. Yuji Hino 3 2.48%
Io Shirai vs Meiko Satoruma 9 7.44%
Kento Miyahara vs Naomichi Marufuji 6 4.96%
None of the Above/Other 1 0.83%
Total: 44 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Even with limiting the poll to MOTYCs due to quantity, we still managed to have 16 matches on the poll nearly all from the first half of the month.

This thread is for matches from all sports that this subforum covers, although most will probably be from the pro wrestling side. Matches are eligible for match of the month based upon when they become legally available (TV broadcasts, streaming services, VOD, etcc.) with a bit more wiggle room for matches only on physical release.

Will Ospreay (C) vs. Marty Scurll for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
NJPW Sakura Genesis - April 1st

Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Zack Sabre Jr. for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
NJPW Sakura Genesis - April 1st

Matt Riddle vs. Will Ospreay
WWN Supershow - April 6th - go to 1:59:25 (iPPV)

WALTER vs. Pierre-Carl 'PCO' Oullet
GCW - Joey Janela's Spring Break 2 - April 7th - go to 0:35:20 (iPPV)

Adam Cole vs. Killian Dain vs. Ricochet vs. Lars Sullivan vs. Velveteen Dream vs. EC3 in a ladder match for the NXT North American Title
NXT Takeover - April 7th - go to 5:10

Andrade "Cien" Almas (C) vs. Aleister Black for the NXT Championship
NXT Takeover - April 7th - video package starts at 1:42:40

Tomasso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano
NXT Takeover - April 7th - video package starts at 2:15:20

Zabit Magomedshapirov vs Kyle Bochniak, UFC 223
UFC 223 - April 7th (iPPV)

Charlotte (C) vs Asuka for the Smackdown Women's Championship
Wrestlemania 34 - April 8th - video package starts at 30:00

Undertaker vs John Cena
Wrestlemania 34 - April 8th - go to 2:08:55

The Bar (C) vs Braun Strowman and some kid called Nicholas for the Raw Tag Team Titles
Wrestlemania 34 - April 8th - go to 4:10:35

Alex Oliveira vs Carlos Condit
UFC on Fox 29 - April 14th

Dustin Poirier vs Justin Gaethje
UFC on Fox 29 - April 14th

Shingo Takagi vs. Yuji Hino
AJPW Champion Carnival - April 15th

Io Shirai vs Meiko Satoruma
Tokyo Sendai Girls - April 19th

Kento Miyahara vs Naomichi Marufuji
AJPW Champion Carnival - April 30th

None of the Above/Other
If none of these matches are notable to you, this is the option for you. If you have something you think should really be on here, go ahead and vote for this and mention it in the thread.

All Results (click emblem for tallies, links go to the match)
Andrade "Cien" Almas (c) vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia - January 27)
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Seiya Sanada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW The New Beginning - February 10)
The Golden☆Lovers vs The Young Bucks (New Japan: Strong Style Evolved - March 25th)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved Okada vs ZSJ and I loved Andrade vs Black, but neither of them could compare to the Gargano/Ciampa, that was just pure distilled pro-wrestling goodness.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
the nxt ladder match was really really good

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who All voted the same as me? Howl like a wolve

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Okada/ZSJ was the absolute tits, people should vote for it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gargano/Ciampa is prob, like, my 2nd favourite match of all time

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

walter vs pco is the match of the millennium

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

That match was also pretty great. It was a good month for a lot of great matches that all unfortunately chose to happen at the same time as Gargano/Ciampa

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

We're roughly a third into voting. Gargano vs Ciampa has a lead, and in a group not too far behind are Okada vs ZSJ, the NXT ladder match, and WALTER vs PCO

oatgan posted:

Agreed. That was an easy pick for me. I dunno if I'd have had the same initial reaction I had to it if I wasn't watching drunk and while it was live, but I've rewatched it to show to other people and it blows them away.

Jerusalem posted:

That match was also pretty great. It was a good month for a lot of great matches that all unfortunately chose to happen at the same time as Gargano/Ciampa

I loved that match but it wasn't even my favorite from NXT that night. That weekend was nuts.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 10, 2018

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I implore all of you to watch Zabit Magomedshapirov vs Kyle Bochniak its the sickest pro wrestling match.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

April was an exhausting month for wrestling this year! My kudos and condolences to anyone who managed to watch every notable match of the month, including the ones that didn't make this list. We're just about time for the poll to close (if it hasn't already) so I feel it's ok to call it in favor of Johnny Wrestling's second big match of the year.

With 21 votes, Ciampa vs Gargano's unsanctioned match at TakeOver: New Orleans is the clear winner. In 2nd, also from that show, is the 6 way ladder match for the new NXT North American title and is tied with Okada vs Zack Sabre Jr. Both just barely ahead of the actual winner of the month, WALTER vs PCO which anyone who has not seen should go out of their way to try to see. Preferably while drunk at 1 AM.

All Results (click emblem for tallies, links go to the match)
Andrade "Cien" Almas (c) vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia - January 27th)
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Seiya Sanada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW The New Beginning - February 10th)
The Golden☆Lovers vs The Young Bucks (New Japan: Strong Style Evolved - March 25th)
Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa (NXT: TakeOver: New Orleans - April 7th)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I highly doubt that anything will end up better than Ciampa/Gargano this yea.... gently caress I just remembered we're getting Okada/Omega at Dominion :vince:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I highly doubt that anything will end up better than Ciampa/Gargano this yea.... gently caress I just remembered we're getting Okada/Omega at Dominion :vince:

Okada/Omega vs Ciampa/Gargano II on Takeover Chicago might make next month's poll interesting because I'm certain Okada/Tanahashi will take this month's.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Still certain about that Corbyn? I feel like CMLL might have a shot this month, and that Triple Crown match is really good. It's looking like this upcoming month's list will contain:

Jun Kasai vs Hyper Misao
Tokyo Joshi Pro YES! WONDERLAND 2018 - May 3rd

Will Ospreay vs KUSHIDA for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
New Japan Wrestling Dontaku - May 4th

Kazuchika Okada vs HIroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
New Japan Wrestling Dontaku - May 4th

Seth Rollins vs The Miz for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
WWE Backlash - May 6th (entrances starts at 3:25)

Tomohiro Ishii vs Keith Lee
Rev Pro Wrestling Epic Encounter - May 11th

Will Ospreay vs Matt Riddle
OTT ScrapperMania IV - May 12th

Flyer & Volador Jr vs Ultimo Guerrero & Templario
CMLL Gran Alternativa Finals - May 18th (video should go to 1:42:30)

Muscle JK Strikers (Reika Saiki & Marika Kobashi) (c) vs. Ito Respect Army (Maki Ito & Mizuki) for the Tokyo Princess Tag Team Championships
Tokyo Joshi Pro Let's Go to Kitazawa in the Spring, Bring Your Friends! - May 19th

Dragon Lee vs SHO
NJPW Best of the Super Juniors - May 19th (entrances start at 1:07:00)

Hiromu Takahashi vs El Desperado
NJPW Best of the Super Juniors - May 22nd (entrances start at 2:11:30)

Io Shirai vs Momo Watanabe for the Wonder of Stardom Championship
Stardom Gold Star - May 23rd

Kento Miyahara vs Naomichi Marufuji for the Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship
AJPW 2018 Super Power Series - May 24th

La Familia Real (LA Park, Volador Jr, Flyer) vs. Los Ingobernables (Rush, Terrible, Bestia del Ring)
CMLL Arena Mexico - May 25th (video should start at 1:51:00)

KUSHIDA vs SHO
NJPW Best of the Super Juniors - May 27th

Cedric Alexander vs Buddy Murphy for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship
WWE 205 Live - May 29th (entrances start at

I'm having some difficulties with the WWE Network currently and can't get the time stamps. I'm also not sure if this is the entire list, since this post is happening before the month is over. I'm going to be getting on an international flight tomorrow and will be gone from home the next month. I can probably update the list, post the thread poll and all that, but I may have trouble getting links and timestamps. Any help on that front would be appreciated. I try to make it as easy as possible for people to see all the matches before voting without running afoul of :filez:

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 31, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I take back what I said. I still reckon Okada/Tanahashi will win but I'm not as certain as I was back then.

It makes me weirdly happy to see SHO twice on that list.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks TTBF, sorry the Nominations thread wasn't up to date, it's caught up now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's fine, this stuff is a hobby and it's ok for it to be on the backlog when you've got more important stuff in your life. I was worried I might not be able to even do the poll this month, I didn't think about it when I made my travel plans.

The list of options has been updated. With so much going on at the end of the month its possible more matches might get nominated by people catching up, so don't consider it final yet.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Okada Tana was great but Familia Real - Ingobernables was amazing and the crowd was nuclear hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Okada Tana was great but Familia Real - Ingobernables was amazing and the crowd was nuclear hot

Going by crowd I'd probably lean back to Okada/Tana. People were crying.

• Locked thread