Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Vinylshadow posted:

ST was two kids beating the poo poo out of each other in the front yard

the sequels would have been better with more backyard wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

zetamind2000 posted:

the sequels would have been better with more backyard wrestling

Maybe if we'd gotten that Stormtrooper rebellion plotline...

Their armor (ostensibly) deflects blasters, so maybe once they got into grab range you'd see more brawling, given bonking them on the head tends to put them out of a fight

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Robot Style posted:

The quote is from Dafne Keen, so it's not like it's a mission statement from the showrunner or something. It seems more like a 19 year old kid who grew up watching the prequels is now excited to be in a real lightsaber fight and is is comparing it against the one she remembers most fondly.

Oh poo poo it's Wolverine! I hadn't realized that's her in the Acolyte, I might give the first episode a try now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a question about Revenge of the Sith's soundtrack. I'm trying to find the alternate version of the score for Battle over Coruscant that includes the full fanfare at the beginning rather than just the isolated war drum beat. I know it exists because the fanfare has a reprise later in the film when Cody and the clones first arrive on Utapau and interrupt Obi Wan's duel with Grievous. The variant track is also used extensively in the 2005 Battlefront 2 game for the Clone Wars era levels.

I swear I've seen a version of Revenge of the Sith that opens with the full fanfare but so far my Google and youtube searches have turned up nothing and I'm wondering if I've just done a Mandela Effect and remembered it wrongly and it has only ever been shown with the war drums opening.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, she’s 100% correct.

(#2 is Mustafar.)

#2 for me is a tie between Cloud City and Death Star 2.

Vinylshadow posted:

Prequels was dancing
OT was fencing at the retirement home
ST was two kids beating the poo poo out of each other in the front yard

Wonder what the High Republic's lightsaber style will be

Breakdancing? Flossing? Hittin' the Griddy? Whatever TikTok trend was popular four years ago?

Look at this poster who forgot Cloud City and Death Star 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arc Hammer posted:

I have a question about Revenge of the Sith's soundtrack. I'm trying to find the alternate version of the score for Battle over Coruscant that includes the full fanfare at the beginning rather than just the isolated war drum beat. I know it exists because the fanfare has a reprise later in the film when Cody and the clones first arrive on Utapau and interrupt Obi Wan's duel with Grievous. The variant track is also used extensively in the 2005 Battlefront 2 game for the Clone Wars era levels.

I swear I've seen a version of Revenge of the Sith that opens with the full fanfare but so far my Google and youtube searches have turned up nothing and I'm wondering if I've just done a Mandela Effect and remembered it wrongly and it has only ever been shown with the war drums opening.

This is the official track released everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMYUsYMDqgc

No war drums, goes immediately into the music

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

This is the official track released everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMYUsYMDqgc

No war drums, goes immediately into the music

But was there ever a release of the film that used this version of the song or only ever the isolated drum version?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Always been isolated drums. I remember because I listened to the rots cd every night until release and really thought the film would immediately kick in the very second the crawl faded.

But no. The war drums played and I was thrown for a loop. First time I noticed drastic differences in available soundtracks vs the actual film

I wanted the full version of the final duels so bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, she’s 100% correct.

(#2 is Mustafar.)

Mustafar ruined the entire movie for me on a rewatch. The opening space fight still holds up tho.

E: I hate that they removed the scores from Spotify - now it's just truncated soundtracks and it doesn't flow at all. The PT music is incredible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's like how the latter half of the Ice Planet Hoth theme is better known from the Shadows of the Empire video game than it is from Empire Strikes Back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've gotten a lot kinder to the Mustafar fight over time. It's just so ludicrously over the top that it's always made me roll my eyes, but last time I watched it I managed to drop all that and just enjoy the silliness of their melodrama being reflected externally so fully.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes it’s a good movie

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

CelticPredator posted:

I listened to the rots cd every night until release

people do this with movies? before seeing it?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

The most I ever done this is for movies Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross scores. But recently been holding off til I’ve seen the movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Admiral Bosch posted:

Only ever did it for Phantom Menace.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Only ever did it for Phantom Menace.

Which ended up being mistake, since the track listing spoiled Qui-Gon's death.

(I did the same. It was released 2 weeks before the movie, if I remember correctly.)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think my favorite lightsaber fight is when Luke goes apeshit on Vader in RotJ. That’s not a visually striking movie overall compared to ESB, but the choreography, cinematography, and score for that bit really hit hard.

Seeing Vader on his heels and out of gas for the first time was also really a big moment there. Is it cheapened a bit now that we know that like 8 other people had fought him to a draw or outright beaten him over the past 15 years? Yeah, but only a bit.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

But was there ever a release of the film that used this version of the song or only ever the isolated drum version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lzOMScnDRU

PeterWeller posted:

Look at this poster who forgot Cloud City and Death Star 2.

I know and stand by what I said, yes

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

General Dog posted:

Seeing Vader on his heels and out of gas for the first time was also really a big moment there. Is it cheapened a bit now that we know that like 8 other people had fought him to a draw or outright beaten him over the past 15 years? Yeah, but only a bit.

Another great thing about it is that it is very satisfying to watch Luke finally cut loose on the bad guy who cut off his hand... but then you remember that that is his dad and the real bad guy wants all this to happen, Luke stop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still like round three in Cloud City the best. Vader has been toying with Luke, demonstrating his mastery of the Force. Then he loses patience and just turns into an angry monster who comes out of the walls and starts hammering on Luke.