Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Howdy y'all,

So I bought a nice accord a couple weeks ago, v6, 6 speed, under 200k miles. Drove great, in good shape, everything works - well, everything except my goddamned engine which decided to start eating itself alive after about 500 miles by way of the worst knock I've ever personally heard. It had plenty of oil in it but i'm sure the PO ran it dry at some point given this knock.

At any rate I am trying to source a replacement engine but every one I can find says it is either for "vehicles with the sixth VIN digit of 3" or "sixth digit of 8."

My sixth digit is 6. Why does this matter? Does anyone know?

Edit: I am a dumbass. It's a 2006. J30a5 motor.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What model year?

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Hello fellow Honda owner. While this is the best forum, for the best Automotive Information ever. Witty joke about bad car purchase. How close to Valentine, Nebraska are you?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/honda-vin-numbers-explained-1212691/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/vindecoder.php

What color Honda..

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
2006, with the j30a5 motor rev which apparently only ever made it to 06-07 usdm accords.

I literally did not know that I needed some version specific to my vin until the guys on driveaccord pointed it out, but I figured maybe AI had some people that knew why the gently caress this vin mattered.

I am going to part this poo poo out if I can't find a motor sub $1000. I don't really want to waste more money on it but its otherwise in great shape.

Ironically this is my lowest mileage car, I have a 250k 4runner and a 270k outback. I've driven cars to over 300k plenty of times so yeah this definitely sucks. Didn't give any indications there was a problem til I'd had it for a few days (at which point it started knocking after long freeway drives.)

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 14, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Looking on car-part.com, using VIN code 6, turns up dozens of results near me. Have you tried that?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I hadn't used this site before, I definitely am finding some in the $800-900 range on car-part - thank you! I need to follow up on some of these and see what kind of warranty they come with.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I hadn't used this site before, I definitely am finding some in the $800-900 range on car-part - thank you! I need to follow up on some of these and see what kind of warranty they come with.

Car-Part is often only as good as the junkyard's inventory guy. If you are seeing yards in your area with pricing you like give them a call and see what stock they actually have on hand- this has worked out to my benefit and detriment in the past. Where you located? I'm sure some goons will be able to suggest reputable yards/engine resellers in your area.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I am in salt lake. I've done the rounds at the 3 pick n pull type lots but did not find any cars meeting the requirements (not that I would know how to go about pulling an engine in a junkyard anyway, but I assume it involves liberal use of a sawzall.)

I have a mechanic I trust in town but he's primarily a subaru guy. He's been looking for engines but has only found rebuilds for 3 grand or more which is too rich for me and this car. I just want a lower mileage used long block that runs OK.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have had good luck with ebay motors but my sample is small. I mostly drunk bid on ones that are under$100 and then put them in my garage because I have a problem.

Great, now I want to bolt a 2.4 into a 2.0 civic.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 14, 2018

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I have had good luck with ebay motors but my sample is small. I mostly drunk bid on ones that are under$100 and then put them in my garage because I have a problem.

This sounds like a pretty fun problem to have.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I am in salt lake. I've done the rounds at the 3 pick n pull type lots but did not find any cars meeting the requirements (not that I would know how to go about pulling an engine in a junkyard anyway, but I assume it involves liberal use of a sawzall.)

I have a mechanic I trust in town but he's primarily a subaru guy. He's been looking for engines but has only found rebuilds for 3 grand or more which is too rich for me and this car. I just want a lower mileage used long block that runs OK.

eBay for $500 with free shipping? Looks like $99 gets you a 6 month aftermarket warranty too..
I am in New England so I don't have any local suggestions unfortunately

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That one is vin 8, not 6. Idk what the difference is but it won't fit mine apparently.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
https://m.ebay.com/itm/2006-Honda-Accord-ENGINE-MOTOR-VIN-6-8-3-0L/322625560675?hash=item4b1dfb6063:g:GsUAAOSwgYVZw~wT

720$, free shipping, 200 day warranty, 30 day money back.

Says its for six or eight VIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Nice that's a good rear end deal - thanks for this! I am pretty enticed by these low rear end car-part prices so I need to try calling some of these sellers and see what kinda warranty they can give. I am seeing some for like $600 or less with under 100k which would be amazing if there's no glaring faults

• Locked thread