Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Alright, I've gone ahead and uploaded a .rar of the game files here.

The folder includes the game manual as a pdf and a copy of DOSBox, just dragging wild.exe onto the DOSBox executable should work to launch the game.

It's worth noting that this version of the game has been slightly hacked to allow playing on all of the maps in the game - most versions found on abandonware sites are a version with only the Sierra Nevadas available, unless they've been updated since last I checked.

If you pick the "A new journey on one of your maps" option and pick GOONMAP1, you get the exact same starting position as Goonpa did. I'll be looking forward to see if you can succeed where he failed!

I've also whipped up a :siren:challenge run:siren:! If you want to try your hand on it, choose "Resume a previously played journey" and load the provided CHLLNGE save. This is to ensure that all goons who want to try the challenge, so remember to use the save instead of just the maps itself! The challenge is set in the Sierra Nevadas in the summer, on the same difficulty as the Goonpa run, so there shouldn't be too many situations that you'll be completely unprepared for.

Let me know if you have any questions or issues! You're highly encouraged to post trip reports from your runs, my only request is that you put any maps with annotations on them in spoiler tags, so as not to rob your fellow goons of the chance to get horribly lost :)

Happy surviving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
ah, you're correct that the online version only allows you to create topos for the sierra nevadas, i wasn't aware of that. good call.

if i get a few extra hours this week i'm gonna go in on this sumbitch, will provide a trip report.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Found this thread and ate it up all in one New Year's Eve. :five: ing it hard.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Glad you enjoyed it, hope it was a fitting way to end 2020 :toot:

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Haven't read an entire LP in one day in years - especially not anything screenshot-based.

Thank you for giving us the adventures of Goonpa!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I'm glad to hear it, that's the best compliment I could hope for! :) I'm happily surprised that there's been so much interest in this ancient weird game.

Out of interest: Have any of you in the thread tried the game out for yourself? I won't blame you if you haven't, it's not the most user friendly (or least actively user hostile) game out there :v:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I enjoyed reading it, but it looks horrible to play and I would almost certainly leave my pack hanging on a tree and walk miles away

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I got as far as downloading it, even launching it I think. But I have so many other things to do in my free time, like reading LPs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I tried it for a bit on whatever play-in-browser version got linked ages ago. It's about as clunky to play as you'd expect, although it's considerably less difficult when you're playing a normal person and not a Goonpa.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Could you do another?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

titty_baby_ posted:

Could you do another?

it literally took covski 18 months to do one game, i love the guy but at a certain point we need to acknowledge that he maybe doesn't have the time to LP as much as he'd like :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I still intent to do another run at some point, no idea when when exactly that will be though. As witnesses have stated in the thread the game is "a bit" of a chore to actually play, so I want to be sure to have enough pent up enthusiasm before I pick it up again to avoid burnout.

I may or may not do some other LP in between, we'll see!