Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Toughy posted:

Or "The one that can't be named"

Publicly execute anyone who addresses/refers to us using a noun or other word used as a noun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Outrail posted:

Publicly execute anyone who addresses/refers to us using a noun or other word used as a noun.

Dress ambiguously and when they refer to you as him or her execute them claiming you're the other.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

We should probably have a real name of some sort. We don't know how many active Bargainers are in the world. Having a dragon is shady enough, if we don't have a name either then they'll know right away we're a Bargainer who sold their identity and that we're vulnerable when parted from our Bell/Death Note.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Not having a name might mean we're immune to a lot of paranormal bargainer poo poo.

"Who do you want me to kill?"
"Um, that no name bitch."
"Sorry,i need a name"

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

It would be great if we were following Death Note rules. But so far the Voice has shown no ability for action aside from buying from those it has made a contract with and selling what it has previously bought.

It also sounds like the Voice can create portals when it sells shortcuts, but I'd guess this relates to a previous purchase it made from a travel deity.

As such I'd be more worried about a rival Bargainer buying a shortcut into our chambers in Savon.

On the other hand dealing with the Voice is crazy expensive and if rival Bargainers exist (they might not) I doubt they'd consider a stranger worth the expense unless we directly interfered in their business.

This is also all the more reason to lean into partnership with the Dragon. We're out of our depth, we need to get entities with greater experience with the supernatural in our corner before we stumble into a war with the magical Illuminati.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

I'm good with Cour's plan, though part of me giggles inside at the idea of naming ourselves "The Royal We"

Your British is showing. :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

malbogio posted:

As such I'd be more worried about a rival Bargainer buying a shortcut into our chambers in Savon.

Anyone else down for burrowing down a Howard Hughes rathole of paranoid distrust?

Build fake bed chambers and a panic room

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

Anyone else down for burrowing down a Howard Hughes rathole of paranoid distrust?

Build fake bed chambers and a panic room

+1

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Outrail posted:

We should probably make sure the house-sized dragon has enough access to wherever we hang out to act as a bodyguard/escape vehicle.

Narrow passages and chambers are our enemy as they separate us from our best asset. I kind of wanted the Warrior Order because they're more useful with crowds and tight urban environments than the dragon.

I don't see the point in a fake bed chamber because we should be keeping the dragon in our real bed chamber - at which point the fake doesn't work very well as a distraction.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 24, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

malbogio posted:

I don't see the point in a fake bed chamber because we should be keeping the dragon in our real bed chamber - at which point the fake doesn't work very well as a distraction.

@AFancyQuestionMark: Can the dragon shape-change into human form?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

CourValant posted:

Can the dragon shape-change into human form?

No.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

malbogio posted:

We should probably make sure the house-sized dragon has enough access to wherever we hang out to act as a bodyguard/escape vehicle.

Narrow passages and chambers are our enemy as they separate us from our best asset. I kind of wanted the Warrior Order because they're more useful with crowds and tight urban environments than the dragon.

I made a few assumptions on dragon physiology vis-à-vis unstable biochemistry and compared my calculations to a few YouTube videos detailing 60's jungle warfare and napalm displacement.

Long story short; Dragons are excellent with crowds and tight urban environments.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
As the sun rises on the last day of the week, you quickly shoot up from your luxurious bed in what were once the Lord Mayor’s personal chambers. You hastily put on the finely tailored garment you’ve demanded for today’s celebrations. This day is very important – intended as both a concrete reinforcement of your rule and an opportunity to study the city and its people – you can’t afford to waste even a single moment if you want to make the proper impression.

Soh-Ti-La awaits you in the hall outside, dressed in robes even more colorful than the ones from your first meeting.

“I trust you’re ready to head out? Your subjects are already waiting, eager to commence the celebrations. We shouldn’t disappoint them – this is a prime opportunity to secure a prominent role in their minds.”

You nod. After all, this was your idea in the first place.

You leave your estate accompanied by the new members of the ruling council, many of whom you are seeing for the first time – merchants, nobles, priests, scholars, guildsmen, guard commanders and, of course, Lord Mayor Reoul de Nisseradt and your new Spymaster, Eileen the Red. Also accompanying you is your Personal Guard – 23 men and women picked by Soh-Ti-La from among the city guards and foreign mercenaries and placed under your direct command. They wear new uniforms, dyed with the myriad bright colors of your dragon’s scales.

On the way to the city’s center your procession passes many crowds of eager residents wearing festive attires. It seems everyone is very much looking forward to this Day of Celebration. Good. This means that you are already making a positive impression.

Your dragon rests just where you’ve left it on your arrival four days ago, in the middle of Market Square, looming over the surrounding stalls and buildings. It raises its head at your approach, its large azure eyes roaming over the crowd around you, before settling on you. By some unknown means you sense the dragon’s thoughts in this moment – recognition and deference.

The procession stops. You alone walk up to the dragon and turn around to face the crowds. There are many people gathered here – sailors, dockworkers, craftsmen, laborers, local and foreign merchants, travelers and pilgrims on their way to other destinations – all gathered to participate in today’s celebration in honor of your rule. Among them, you can make out several foreign envoys, clad in the colors of their homelands. Though you are unaccustomed to speaking in front of such large gatherings, you do your best to project confidence as you recite the speech Soh-Ti-La had you memorize.

“Our subjects, visitors from places near and far, honored dignitaries – We are glad to see you here, on this day of celebration. As you all know, We invited you here today to mark the grandest of occasions – Our ascension as the Ruler of Savon. All of you are here by Our grace and, as such, enjoy Our favor and protection on this joyous day.

Across the civilized lands, Savon has rightly come to be known for its wealth, warmth and ever rising prosperity. It is truly the Jewel of the North, the most notable port in the Northern Sea and the foremost of the Old Cities. This is how it is now, and so long as We rule over it, this is how it shall ever be.

Yet, in the troubled times that, on occasion, have marred Savon’s majesty in the past, its people have suffered greatly – of sickness, of hunger, of cold and of the cruelty and avarice of outsiders.
No more. Under Our rule, no subject shall go hungry, every family shall have a warm home in winter and medicine shall be freely available in times of illness. Of course, it goes without saying that, so long as We rule, Savon shall be safe against any outside force. We would not envy any who dare to threaten its walls.” you rest your hand on one of the dragon’s scales, “Their fate shall not be pleasant.”

“With all that said, it is time to commence the festivities. There are many delicacies and spirits, both common and exotic, available to all. So let the food pile on the tables and the wine flow through the streets! Let the dances and merriment last till the darkest of night! Enjoy yourselves and celebrate Our ascension to the fullest!”

At your last words, the crowds erupt in cheers. Many rush towards the long tables, filled with food and drink prepared in advance, while others split into groups and start loudly conversing among themselves, and others still simply walk through the crowds, enjoying the festive atmosphere.

You walk back to the procession, which will now make its way to various parts of the city, celebrating with the residents of each. It seems you have a long day ahead of you...

“Excuse me, Your Excellency.”

A tall, well-built man approaches you as you mingle with some of your subjects, enjoying the celebrations. You’ve never seen him before, but you would recognize the deep colors he wears anywhere – this must be the Empire’s envoy.

“Yes?”

“I am Vitrus Sedet, Her Majesty’s Emissary to Savon. I wanted to congratulate you on your ascension. That was quite the speech! Certainly a refreshing change of pace from old Reoul’s pompous bloviating.”

Quite the speech, indeed. You thought it a bit too old-fashioned and dramatic at first, but Soh-Ti-La assured you that “confidence, strength and ambition” is what the people respect most in a ruler, so you’ve gone along with it. She has more than enough experience with these things to be given the benefit of the doubt. As for the envoy…well, you suddenly feel very glad for your decision to trade away your identity. Otherwise, you would have no doubt had to field some difficult questions at this point.

“Thank you, Emissary. We fully understand the worth of such a compliment from a servant of the Empress herself. After all, We’ve heard that her own speeches can be simply unforgettable.”

“It’s just as you say, Your Excellency. You have no idea how much I miss the sound of her voice, her endless wisdom, her perfect guidance. But, my duty comes above all, so I shall persevere.” his mouth contorts into a small smile.

You nod politely. In truth, you have never seen or heard the Empress in person, only knowing her by her deeds and her decrees. That’s more than enough for your purposes, though. You will do your best to make sure that she comes to understand that, as she lies with her face beneath your feet…

“Actually, Your Excellency, there is one other matter I would like to discuss. It’s a trivial thing, but I would nevertheless be grateful if you could lend me your attention.”

“We are at your disposal.”

“You see, we had an arrangement with the Lord Mayor, regarding the levy on sales – merchants from the Empire were exempt from it, as long as they declared all assets and showed records of all transactions in Savon. I would just like to have a confirmation that you would continue that policy. It is a mutually beneficial arrangement – the exemption attracts our merchants to your city, rather than elsewhere.”

You consider his words for a few moments.

“We can’t give you an answer today. This is a matter We would like to discuss with Our council.”

“Of course, of course. Take as much time as you want. It is a minor matter, after all. Just be mindful that our merchants would find it much easier to prioritize Savon in their routes if you could confirm the continuation of the policy as soon as possible.”

As much as you would like to simply refuse him out of spite, you must act rationally if you want to consolidate and expand your power. There is no reason to antagonize the Empire at this early stage.

“Well, I am sure Your Excellency has other places to be and other people to speak with. I won’t take any more of your time. Farewell.”

“Farewell, Emissary. We hope you enjoy the celebrations.”

You watch as he walks away and disappears into the crowd.

Over the course of the day, you’ve visited every corner of Savon, from the docks, to the estates, the temples, the Guilds and the Old City. You’ve seen the sort of people your many subjects are, where they live and how they like to celebrate. You saw plenty of foreigners as well – dignitaries from the cities of Eker, Niveha and Coliss, merchants from the lands beyond the sea trading in small handicrafts, spices and slaves, masked pilgrims resting on their long way to True Devotion and travelers from the Empire looking to sail further north.

It’s close to midnight when you find yourself back at Market Square. The crowds have left this place by now, since the food run out and most would rather drink closer to home. Though some small groups still litter the square, they are too absorbed in their own fun to pay much attention to you.

You walk up to the dragon once more. It opens its eyes more slowly this time, as if waking from a deep sleep. You close your own eyes and try to glimpse the dragon’s thoughts. You came here to try and discover some of the dragon’s goals, constraints and capabilities, as you know almost nothing about it. If it can read your mind enough to respond to your will, surely you can communicate with it?

A couple of thoughts reach you from without, too alien to understand more than in the most general terms – acknowledgment and anticipation.

“Who are you?” you ask the dragon wordlessly. Seems like a reasonable starting point.

You grasp a response at the back of your mind – emptiness, service and rebirth. It appears the dragon has chosen to separate itself from its past and define itself anew in its service. Quite the coincidence – a nameless servant for a nameless master.

“How did you come to be in this situation?”

Fear. Escape. Survival. You interpret these as the dragon selling itself to preserve its life in the face of certain death.

“What threatened you?”

Illness. Poison. If you understand correctly, this confirms the authenticity of the stories the southern tribes tell of the sickness spread by ancient “dragon-hunters” to scare them away them from their lands.

“Are you sick even now?” you ask, concerned.

Health. Renewal. Age. That’s a no, then.

“How old are you? Where were you born?”

Several images flash before you. A chain of islands in the midst of a vast sea. You don’t recognize it.

“What do you plan to do now?”

Obedience. Service. Fulfillment. You hope it’s being truthful. Not that it has much of a choice.

“Can you read the minds of others?”

More images, this time accompanied by sounds. Loud people enjoying themselves. Bliss and merriment. These are obviously the perspectives of the other people at the square. This is good. Very good.

“What can you teach Us?”

Inability. Regret. Humans are incapable of learning the arts of dragons. Unfortunate.

“We need to go now. We hope we can do much in the future, as partners. Good night.”

Acceptance. Hope. You open your eyes and walk back to rejoin the celebrations, which are finally approaching their end. You’ve gained a powerful asset, though not as powerful as you could have hoped. You have no doubt that it will prove to be vital to growing your power further and carrying out your revenge.

The new ruling council officially meets for the first time this morning, two days after the Day of Celebration. Your short walk to the council chambers confirms that most people have rested off their fatigue and reluctantly returned to their daily routines. As always, you are accompanied by Soh-Ti-La and three members of your Personal Guard.

“Throughout the entire meeting, you should make clear that you, not they, are the one who makes the decisions.” Soh-Ti-La says in a quiet voice, “First impressions are important. You should hear their advice, but do not let them monopolize the discussion or speak out of turn. They must understand that they are there for your sake, and not the other way around.”

You nod. Her words are sensible, as always. Your rule should be constantly reinforced in the minds of your subjects.

You wait in the entrance hall while a page announces your arrival.

“Their Excellency, Ruler of Savon.” she declares decisively.

When you enter, all of the councilors are already kneeling, with their eyes pointed to the ground – a custom you introduced on Soh-Ti-La’s advice.

“Good day to you all.” you say, adopting a confident tone, “We have called you here to discuss the state of Our city and hear your individual perspectives on any pertinent issues and courses of action. We expect the meeting to be orderly and productive. You may rise.”

The councilors stand up and take their seats at the table. After they are all seated, you take your seat at the head of the table, while Soh-Ti-La sits to your left.

“First, let Us hear a report on the state of the treasury.”

The tall, thin and frail old woman acting as the Keeper of Coin stands up.

“Yes, Your Excellency. So far this year, we have collected 14,600 ver, mostly from the sales levy, port fee and household tax. We have spent 8,200 ver on the salaries of the Guard, the record clerks and the dockworkers. As of the last count, the treasury contained 28,700 ver. No extraordinary expenses are anticipated for the remainder of the year.”

She sits back down.

“Now, We would hear any issues and suggestions you would bring to Our attention. Speak each in turn and don’t test Our patience.”

You feel a bit out of your depth as the councilors speak one after another, suggesting measures and offering predictions as to their consequences. As an outsider, you are hardly equipped to evaluate the accuracy of their words.

So, here’s how this is going to work: You need to decide what to do regarding each of the issues below, even if that decision is to ignore it. You can lean on Soh-Ti-La for advice. You can also decide to make a bunch of decrees on unrelated matters, or do something else entirely. You are not limited to just this council meeting, you may describe your future plan of action or questions for Soh-Ti-La, your dragon and any other character in reach. You can also call for another bargain, as always.

a) “Regarding the words of the Empire’s envoy,” starts an influential merchant, “I think the Lord Mayor’s policy in this matter should be reconsidered. We may not lack for income, but the exemption granted to merchants from the Empire lends them an unfair advantage over local traders. They may lower prices to a much lower point than your own subjects, thereby luring away customers. Personally, I find this rather troubling. It’s true that the city benefits from their presence, but perhaps the levy should be significantly reduced or eliminated outright for the local traders as well, for fairness sake? Besides, I doubt many of the Empire’s merchants could afford to miss out on operating in a location as prominent as our city, even should their exemption be eliminated.”

b) “Your Excellency’s promise of food and warm winter homes is bound to cause some of the less fortunate of your subjects to request these things. How many of our ver should be set aside for this purpose?” asks the Keeper of Coin.

c) “In these times of plenty, most of Your Excellency’s subjects are wholly preoccupied with their own mundane affairs, neglecting the gods entirely.” says a young priest, “Yet, the gods are out there all the same, watching over us. We must honor them even now, if we want them to hold us in their favor. I ask for your aid in this pursuit. Liur’s temple is crumbling apart as we speak, Rosentia’s servants can no longer tend to her faithful, months have passed since the last sacrifice to Vinia, traveling pilgrims must rely on their own coin or sleep in the streets and those few among us devoted to the gods’ worship are struggling to live in dignity. I implore you, Your Excellency, do not forget our gods, lest they forget you.”

d) “Your Excellency, the Lord Mayor’s carelessness has allowed independent foreign craftsmen and laborers to establish a firm presence in Savon.” says a high-ranking guildsman, “They refuse to join a Guild, despite repeated requests on our part, and brazenly disregard accepted practices and limits for the sake of their own profits. This can’t be allowed to continue. I ask that you present them an ultimatum – join a Guild or be exiled. This is the only means by which this problem may be curtailed.”

e) “There are more and more thieves and pickpockets on the streets of late.” say a guard commander, “We don’t have the manpower to constantly keep watch over every crowded street and market stall. I recommend instituting harsher punishments, as it seems public whippings are no longer enough, and giving us more funds so that we may expand our ranks.”

f) Eileen the Red, your spymaster, silently listens to the proceedings. Every now and again, she gives you a meaningful look. That’s her way of reminding you about your earlier conversation, in which she asked for permission to send out agents to infiltrate the Empire’s northern armies and keep track of their movements. Your already have several agents in the Empire, but Eileen insists that this assignment is especially significant. As Soh-Ti-La observed, should you grant her request, the agents could be discovered and relations with the Empire would sour greatly.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

[i]So, here’s how this is going to work:

Awww yeah, time for some SimCitySavon.

I want to build libraries and set funding to maximum! :ocelot: :)

a) “Regarding the words of the Empire’s envoy,” starts an influential merchant, “I think the Lord Mayor’s policy in this matter should be reconsidered."

Raise the levy on the Empire's merchants such that there is an equal playing field between them and the local traders. Nobody gets a free ride, everybody owes, everybody pays.

Offer tax incentives to the local traders for every ver they keep on the island, as opposed to sending it elsewhere.

b) “Your Excellency’s promise of food and warm winter homes is bound to cause some of the less fortunate of your subjects to request these things. How many of our ver should be set aside for this purpose?” asks the Keeper of Coin.

Keep 10% of the Treasury reserved for this purpose. Also, institute a work program for those who claim these benefits; have them sweep the streets or cart away trash, something, so they're not just doing nothing.

c) “In these times of plenty, most of Your Excellency’s subjects are wholly preoccupied with their own mundane affairs, neglecting the gods entirely.”

Honor the Gods. Restore the temples, suggest to the people go should be mindful of their religious duties and obligations.

d) “Your Excellency, the Lord Mayor’s carelessness has allowed independent foreign craftsmen and laborers to establish a firm presence in Savon.”

Allow the foreign craftsmen to operate in Savon, as long as they pay a 'licensing fee' and can demonstrate their skills to the Crown; yes, I am in fact setting up a competing artisan organization to the guilds, least they get too uppity.

It never hurts to have a base of craftsmen and laborers loyal directly to the Crown.

e) “There are more and more thieves and pickpockets on the streets of late.”

Increase the funding for policing and law enforcement. Enact harsher penalties for repeated offenders, up to and including cutting off the hand.

f) Eileen the Red, your spymaster, silently listens to the proceedings. Every now and again, she gives you a meaningful look.

Increase her funding and send spies out to all the major factions, we need to know what's going on in these foreign lands.

If they get caught, politely request they be returned so that they can be taught the price of failure, and offer to do the same for any spies we catch.

Heck, offer to set up a spies exchange program, since we know folks will be spying on us.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

CourValant posted:

Awww yeah, time for some SimCitySavon.

I want to build libraries and set funding to maximum! :ocelot: :)

Raise the levy on the Empire's merchants such that there is an equal playing field between them and the local traders. Nobody gets a free ride, everybody owes, everybody pays.

Offer tax incentives to the local traders for every ver they keep on the island, as opposed to sending it elsewhere.

Keep 10% of the Treasury reserved for this purpose. Also, institute a work program for those who claim these benefits; have them sweep the streets or cart away trash, something, so they're not just doing nothing.

Honor the Gods. Restore the temples, suggest to the people go should be mindful of their religious duties and obligations.

Allow the foreign craftsmen to operate in Savon, as long as they pay a 'licensing fee' and can demonstrate their skills to the Crown; yes, I am in fact setting up a competing artisan organization to the guilds, least they get too uppity.

It never hurts to have a base of craftsmen and laborers loyal directly to the Crown.

Increase the funding for policing and law enforcement. Enact harsher penalties for repeated offenders, up to and including cutting off the hand.

Increase her funding and send spies out to all the major factions, we need to know what's going on in these foreign lands.

If they get caught, politely request they be returned so that they can be taught the price of failure, and offer to do the same for any spies we catch.

Heck, offer to set up a spies exchange program, since we know folks will be spying on us.

I like all of this and would like to add setting up shelters in any abandon buildings we might have for the working welfare system.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah, I'm actually down with all of that.

Also just found this fantastic Victorian slang lexicon
https://victorianvocabulary.weebly.com/glossary-of-victorian-slang.html

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah, I'm actually down with all of that.

Also just found this fantastic Victorian slang lexicon
https://victorianvocabulary.weebly.com/glossary-of-victorian-slang.html

Toffer.

The fact that there is a distinct word for this makes perfect sense and makes me slightly uneasy.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Toffer.

The fact that there is a distinct word for this makes perfect sense and makes me slightly uneasy.

The word itself makes sense too given its etymology, rather than just picking something random.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

CourValant posted:

How many ver should be used for this purpose?

quote:

on the island

Savon isn't on an island.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

The word itself makes sense too given its etymology, rather than just picking something random.

Huh? Dare I ask the root word for 'Toffer'?

How many ver should be used for this purpose?

Standard tithe rates, 10% of the treasury.

Savon isn't on an island.

Huh. Guess I read that wrong, for whatever reason I thought Savon was an island nation in the Northern Seas.

By the by, should we be concerned with currency exchange rates, ver vs. whatever is used in the Empire and beyond?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Toffee-noses or toffs are well-to-do persons, toffers service toffs from a toffery, or high quality brothel.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Toffee-noses or toffs are well-to-do persons, toffers service toffs from a toffery, or high quality brothel.

You and I should open a Premium Singing and Dancing Chimney Sweep Business.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

You and I should open a Premium Singing and Dancing Chimney Sweep Business.

We can't forget fenestratory sanitation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmAeijj5cM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

We can't forget fenestratory sanitation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmAeijj5cM

Teach me senpai, you know of such glorious things!!

• Locked thread