Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In the big city, in F-Ward, there's a shopping district right next to a park, but this is no ordinary park, for it is wild and barely under control. Unlike most of the big city, it's a quiet place where time has slowed down.

Animals of all shapes and sizes call the forest home and some of them wander into the shopping district looking for food or companionship. The older humans leave out offerings in the forest so that the henge and forest gods will look favorably on their businesses. The younger humans ignore the old ways, unknowingly chasing away the henge in their animal forms.

There are 10 shops, there used to be more, but the big stores put them out of business. In order from the Forest side:
  • Cake Shop
  • Coffee House
  • Butchers
  • Noodle Stand
  • Newsstand (sells books too!)
  • Stationary Store
  • Candy Store (Japanese Style)
  • Vegetables and Sundries Store
  • Woodcarving and Trinkets
  • Convenience Store (Not actually in the shopping district, right outside)

Character creation is standard and you can play any published henge (except Fae and Fantasy Friends). Why is there a horse in the forest, how does a wolf get by on three hectares of land? Who knows, let's play to find out.

I'd like to start the game in one week. Any questions you may contact me via discord or ask in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Name: Yukito

Species: Rabbit

Stats
Henge: 2
Animal: 2
Adult: 1
Child: 3

Powers
Cute
Mochi-Pounding
Lop-Eared
Help Me
I Dunno
Moonlight
Friendship
Remember

Weaknesses
Loneliness
Meddling

My Story
Hi!

I'm Yukito!

I've been in this forest for a long time. I tell the other folks that the Hare of Inaba is my grandpa, but I dunno if that's true. I just wanted to look cool so the other rabbits around here would like me.
Whether it's true or not, I'm not actually just a normal rabbit. I have a little stone thingy the humans bring kusa mochi and other offerings to. Man I love those things.

Since the humans are so nice about giving me things, I sometimes I turn into a human so I can go and visit them. I especially like the old man who runs the vegetable stand.
The smell of his delicious cabbages always pulls me over to his shop like some kind of magic spell. One time he got upset at me for 'skipping school' so I make sure to only come by when there are other human kids around.
I help him move things and sell his vegetables, and in return he gives me a bunch for free! He says I'm the only kid around who would rather hang out at a vegetable shop than the candy store.
I... don't really know what he means, to be honest.

While he closes down for the day and I munch on some delicious cabbage leaves, he tells me all about his son's farm up north. A lot of the stuff he sells actually comes from his son's farm.
He's got posters of big mountains and forests on his walls and sometimes he looks at them like he wishes he could jump right into them. Sometimes he tells me his son has been asking for him to move to the farm with him.
That always makes me sad, because then I wouldn't be able to get my delicious cabbage. There's something magical about the stuff he sells. I think it's something about the love that goes in to growing them and selling them.
I don't think the humans can taste it, since they don't seem to appreciate the vegetables much, but I sure can. I always make sure to take an armful back for the other rabbits in the woods, and they all agree with me that it's the best darn cabbage they've ever had.

I hope nothing ever changes, and the old man is there running his wonderful shop forever.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 21, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Name: Genjiro Murakawi

Species: Fox

Stats:

Henge: 2
Animal: 2
Adult: 3
Child: 1

Powers
Alluring
Oracle
Fox Fire
Invisibility
Fake
Fairy Rain
Shrine
Marriage Knot

Weaknesses

Pride
Cold

My Story

Oh, so you want to talk to me? Well, I suppose I can't blame you. It's the tail, isn't it? I can tell, you're fascinated by my tail, and well you should be, because it's quite beautiful. But I'm the right person to come to if you have questions about the city or the forest. My family has been living here since the city was founded. Of course,the forest wasn't IN the city then. That didn't happen until later...not until, hmm. You humans have such strange notions of time and this obsession with dating everything. But it was just around when I was born, during the reign of Emperor Ninko. Even when the city expanded, they kept this area forest. I'm sure that it was because of my shrine. The shrine's older, of course. It was my father's shrine, and his father's before him, but now it's mine. They respected that back then, respected my father and the Kami of this forest. Back in my father's day, nobody would dare harass a fox, even if he were to go right into the city, afraid they'd bring the wrath of Inari down on them. They would bring offerings to the shrine, like that fried tofu that tastes so good. It's all different now. Oh,some of the older people still bring offerings, sometimes, food or cash, but the shrine is overgrown. I have to keep it myself. As for the young people, you never see them anymore. And, now, if you go into the city as a fox, people panic. I have to put my human face on to go in there nowadays.

It's not just the forest, though. Nearby, there are a bunch of shops. I have to spend the money they give me at the shrine somehow, and it's interesting to see how people live. In the city, you can even get tofu. They just sell it for money! As long as you have the money, you can get all you want. It's amazing that humans would trade something as valuable as tofu for something as useless as money, but people are hard to understand. Anyway, there were all these little stores that that had been there for generations....human generations, I mean, but still, and most of them are gone now. Only a few are left, and they'll be gone before long.

I don't understand the things that are happening. I remember, the city survived fires. It survived earthquakes. It survived wars....like that war when i was young where everyone fought over whether or not people should listen to the Emperor, and the one most recently, where all the young men went away and the big metal flying things kept dropping bombs on the city. It survived all of that, but I think the city is dying now. Oh, the people are all right, I'm sure, but the city is dying. <sigh> Oh well, I suppose it's up to me to save it. I suppose I'll let the other henge help. They're not foxes, but that's really not their fault. Now go away, please. I have to figure out how to save the city.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 25, 2018

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Looks good so far, although I'd like a background for your fox Epicurius.

I'll leave applications open through the weekend and then start the game on Monday, hopefully we'll get a few more people.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I haven't played a game of Golden Sky Stories before, but got the PDF since I also enjoyed Ryuutama.

Name: Sasagi

Species: Bird

Stats: Animal 2, Henge 3, Adult 1, Child 2

Powers: Little Bird, Wings, Wind Song, Gift of Wings, Rumors, Down Pillow, Flock, Listen Up

Weaknesses: Eyeball, Chatter

My Story:

We Fly Together, We Die Together!

So you want to know about me, huh?

You ever heard of the Scourge of F-Ward? The Black Charm of the North? The Gang of Eleven? That's my crew, and I'm the boss! That's right, me and my tiding, we own this part of town, and if you want to live here, you have to play by our rules!

If we see something small and shiny on the street, then we get to eat it no matter what it is! If you wanted to keep it, you should have kept a better eye on it!

If we want to sit on a roof all day and people-watch, then that's our business and no one can stop us! We layabout as long as we want!

If we want to dance in the streets, then you have to walk around us! Our dancing moves are the best there are, and it's a privilege to see them!

We also have a treasure hoard in the fountain by the park, which, by the way, also happens to be our clubhouse. I remember this one time, I saw a weird ring someone had dropped in the street after they got into a bike accident, it fell out of a box and had a big shiny rock on it...Anyway, I tried to eat it but it didn't go down right, so I had to spit it out when I got back to the clubhouse. It was really gross, so I couldn't keep it with the treasures and just left it beside the fountain. Some guy came by later and one of my boys said he picked it up with a look of relief on his face. I got really mad that he took my ring like that, so we all got together and managed to track him down a few months later. He was with some girl in a white dress, and they were surrounded by other people so we couldn't get close. Instead we just hung out nearby to see what was going on and see if we could have a chance to get that ring back. Someone then pointed us out and said that we looked like something out of a fairy tale. What the heck! These people are weird, to not be intimidated by us, so we left without doing anything else.

I figured out the secret to moving among humans, and though I may look like a kid, I'm the toughest punk out there. I don't fight, though, because I know I could take down a human no problem and it would cause more trouble than it's worth. I figured I could start some kind of protection racket to get more food for my boys, and I found that people living in houses and working at stores throw out a ridiculous amount of things that we can eat and use! I also figured out that coins, rocks, and bits of paper don't taste right when you are a human, so I don't eat those as much anymore. Sometimes the cops and random people try to catch me when I start going through human stuff they throw out, but I'm way faster than a human and can fly so I always get away. They're no match for my hardened criminal ways!

My boys and I sometimes hear older people talking about having to close down or something about an uncertain future. I'm wondering if there may be some sort of rival gang trying to muscle in on our turf. They should know that's not going to work. We're the baddest gang there is, and this is our town!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Game thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3858345

• Locked thread