Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Found a video of the incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DAORNCSkGc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You posted the wrong link, this is the video from the news story

https://youtu.be/2DKtpc5QnX8

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Guys I just called local police where the OP lives they said they are investigating several broad daylight abductions. One neighborhood alone has 10 missing person reports. My guess is this is the contamination zone. And they were removed before they could spread whatever was in that truck. The reporter from the video is also missing as well as his camera man.

I've been increasingly paranoid since I started looking into this, I swear I've had someone following me. I've seen 4 red simis drive by my house in the last few days and I live on a dirt road in the country.. I see no reason for them to be here. My wife says I'm crazy but she doesn't know what I know I've kept her in the dark purposely so if I'm right this does not blow back on my family. Either way I could use any help from other fellow goons, what I really need is someone who can go to the OPs house if you live in the area PM me.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Madness - the only solution is to order a bunch of packages, get them shipped freight to the other side of the country. Then, get out of the house while they are distracted.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Thanks, I'm not ready to do that yet. But I have a plan to get out quick if needed. I followed one of the trucks shortly after making the last post, they delivered a new bedroom set to our neighbors about 20 doors down.. it seemed odd they needed such a big truck for the one set but the truck tags said Kentucky so maybe they did more than one delivery. Either way what started as an interesting story is starting to turn out very weird and each time I pull a string the fabric of the lie starts to unravel..

Madness fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 27, 2018

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Ban op for failure to deliver promised goods in SA-Mart

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Here is the initial news report

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/05/23/pitt-graduate-uber-crash-parked-car-smashed-oakland/

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005

codyclarke posted:

We're never gonna hear from him again and it's gonna turn out he was the truck driver along :aaaaa:

Piggy Smalls posted:

Seriously. What’s with the delay on the story.

Madness posted:

I'm dying to hear this story but I'm starting to feel like we are getting epically trolled. Clearly it happen their was a news story.. but was it his sister lol

I'm sorry guys! It's been a busy time first dealing with this, then the insurance claim. I tried to get in a reply yesterday but after my browser ate my post a few times I gave up. I wrote up all the details in Notes, so I'll post that in just a few minutes. I had no idea there was quite so much interest!

Gribble fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 27, 2018

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005
I was originally going to quote and reply to a particular post, but there being so many since then I'll try to answer in the post. First, while the guy in the clip does have a goon beard it ain't me - sister's boyfriend. Personally, I've found it really funny, considering how much work it took to singlehandedly put the interview together, that I'm the only one you don't see in it. Moving on...

Let me state right upfront that this is quite far from the sexiest story - meaning there will be no forthcoming film adaptation (which would star Jennifer Lawence, subject to availability) - but it was extremely satisfying to me and for my family.

It's a long tale that involved a shitload of foot work on my part, so let me offer a preëmptive tl;dr -Through a very windy path that included some help from Goon Army, I was able to get this story on the local news right before Colbert, and within 18 hours an officer was providing me with the driver's personal information.

If you want to hear how the whole thing unfolded, let's keep going!

So the simple answer to the question posed earlier is no, no one was close to identifying the company or logo, but if you read on you'll see why - now that it's solved I can't imagine how anyone could have been close, or overstate how amazing it'd be if someone made that truck.

I'll jump back a bit to try to tell this right. My sister was in two Uber accidents in as many weeks, the second of which was a head-on collision that hosed her up. The driver of the other car raced off but the Uber driver, joined by a Good Samaritan on a motorcycle who witnessed everything, gave chase until she finally pulled over, realizing she couldn't escape them both. The girl had no insurance, no license, no right to be driving the car she was in, and an (alleged) affinity for crack cocaine.

My sister was left with a lot of pain, which made sense after the doctors did some scans: she had broken bones and torn some tendons and ligaments, and the combination caused a floating right collar bone. That scared everyone; a floating collar bone can pierce the heart if you move the wrong way. So she needed serious surgery, and got it; dead people tendons are holding her bones in place as she undergoes an eight-ten week healing process.

So that's the background. Cut to her recovering in the hospital and the truck pictured in the OP, driving extremely recklessly for an AMATEUR (let alone a trucker), trashes multiple vehicles. And then he leaves, as one does. We discovered the damage a day or so later when my sister's boyfriend went to pick up and relocate it somewhere closer to the family home where she was convalescing.

Under the windshield wiper was a campus officer's card, with a case number and instructions to call written on it. We tried to get in touch all weekend, got nothing. We finally reach someone - different guy - on Monday and he gives us that picture and not much else. Suffice to say, I was not impressed with the level of help and concern they were providing.

So I post this here thread and look into every reply. On Wednesday, I put together a list of businesses in the area, made up of my best guesses and suggestions I got here, which might have cameras that would've caught the accident, and I set about calling them. This was a grueling grind, but not a resounding success, although the people I spoke with were quite nice on the whole. Side note, not one of the people I talked to had been contacted by the police, which was frankly disappointing.

Eventually I got to the funeral home, which had the cameras we needed - but had them offline while they undergoing a roof renovation. The lady told me what she could, and then she also volunteered to call some other business owners she knew, talk to some neighbors, all on her own. Before long I basically had a local posse: landlords talking to their tenants, business owners checking their tapes, dog walkers asking strangers. This produced some information, none of it definitive except one thing: everyone agreed that they'd never seen that truck before. I tried to communicate the info I gathered with the police, and to get more detailed information from then, but you can guess how that went.

At this point, I'm super disheartened. But I talk with the funeral home lady again and she asks in passing if I'd tried any of our local news outlets to see if they'd be interested in the story. That struck me as a double long shot - that they'd give a poo poo, and that even if they did, it certainly wouldn't guarantee a result - but gently caress, I have nothing to lose at this point. The first station hangs up as soon as I say "hit and run," and the woman at the news desk at the second station tells me she'll pass it on, but I shouldn't expect interest.

Phone rings less than fifteen minutes later: could I arrange everything they need to put it on the 11 o'clock news that night? I'll leave out the details but the back-and-forth putting this together was hours of yeoman's work. It helped that David, the reporter, seemed very excited to get the story on the air. Still, I was as shocked as anyone when they finally pulled up to my house a little after seven.

Here they are setting up, and mid-interview:

I'd prepped my sister for the interview, and I think she did a fantastic job. I asked the reporter what the chances of success are with stories like this: he said it's hard to say, but if something's going to happen, it'll happen within 24 hours. And here's the final product (and a pre-production update):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29PhNEYJsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOrFZEEmRP0

Returning to the back and forth with the reporter for a moment, one thing the reporter needed was the identifying information of the officers involved so he could get their side. Neither one of them answered his calls, though, so he left a message with the higher-ups and was VERY quickly contacted by the department's chief PR guy.

At 4 PM Thursday, in what I'm sure is probably definitely a complete coincidence, the original officer in this police department - the one who left the card, who we'd been struggling to get any sort of cooperation from - just happened to give me a call the very next afternoon. Not my sister, me. Same number I used to talk to the reporter, in fact.

He told me that the driver had called the police and turned himself in, and boy was the officer now eager to share every last piece of information imaginable about this guy, his company, and most importantly for us, his company's insurance.

I can finally reveal what those handful of letters on the cab spell out: ROBY'S. This is a company based way out of state, and not a big one: checking federal records they only have two drivers. And this is why I can't imagine how any of the posters could have pieced it together, absent being an employee perhaps. Anyway, based on the info I was given, let's just say I have extremely good reason to believe that this driver was not just some rogue employee, but actually the owner of the company. Boggles my mind.

Because the guy confessed to the police there's no dispute, so the claim is already being processed by his insurance company. In the end they'll be paying every cent of the repair bill, which is thousands of dollars. If you're looking for a twist of vengeance, I imagine there's a considerable difference between how commercial trucking insurance premiums would be affected by an incident like this for some huge company with a fleet and a home-run outfit where the guy who committed the hit and run is the owner. That thought has certainly given me some solace.

So that's where things stand as of today. I'll apologize again for the late reply, just understand that life has been a circus since this started. I know there are things I must've left out, I'd be happy to answer any questions or provide additional information; you guys were so helpful, and I honestly don't know that I'd have been able to reach this outcome without you good people volunteering your time to try to right this particular wrong.

Gribble fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 27, 2018

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Update on my story also guys, turns out I am crazy and I'm checking myself into a mental institution. The number for the officer I called was actual a pizza place in Detroit.. seems I never talked to anyone and there was no missing people... The worst part is my wife was right... Well thanks for finally posting the story and helping me get the help I need with my delusions.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Glad to see some public shame working!

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005

Madness posted:

Update on my story also guys, turns out I am crazy and I'm checking myself into a mental institution. The number for the officer I called was actual a pizza place in Detroit.. seems I never talked to anyone and there was no missing people... The worst part is my wife was right... Well thanks for finally posting the story and helping me get the help I need with my delusions.

I'm sorry to hear your wife was right; that's a difficult situation for anyone.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Gribble posted:

Because the guy confessed to the police there's no dispute, so the claim is already being processed by his insurance company. In the end they'll be paying every cent of the repair bill, which is thousands of dollars. If you're looking for a twist of vengeance, I imagine there's a considerable difference between how commercial trucking insurance premiums would be affected by an incident like this for some huge company with a fleet and a home-run outfit where the guy who committed the hit and run is the owner. That thought has certainly given me some solace.

While SA-Mart is a bit different from the other SA sub-forums because we can't vote on threads, this :five: is the best I can do for you.

Has an SA-Mart thread ever been put into the Goldmine? We're nudging over into that territory. How many transactions ask for help and then end up on the evening news?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Excellent resolution. I forget the exact percent but something north of 50% of trucks are in companies with less than 10 trucks. They are legally supposed to have $1 million liability coverage but I guess since the car was empty you won't be able to get more than repairs paid for anyway.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Op delivered goods as promised. Would subscribe to thread again A++

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Now I can finally let out the satisfied AHHHHHHHHHH I've been holding in for a while. Glad everything worked out OP!

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
SA-Mart gold right here

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Awesome finale!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would recommend you put the $100 you set aside for this into hiring some sort of witch doctor, or an old/young priest tandem to remove whatever curse has been put on your sister.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

Gribble posted:

<clip> Story of Success. </clip>

Glad to hear everything turned out okay!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That reporter has the most hilariously tiny T Rex arms I think I have ever seen in that picture.

Glad you got a resolution!

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Wow, this is was an awesome turn of events, glad it came out in your favor.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This Roby Trucking that had a driver crash and die in PA a few years ago?

http://abc7news.com/news/fatal-pittsburg-big-rig-accident-could-have-been-prevented/562131/

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Gribble posted:

Sweet, sweet resolution.

Glad we could offer a tiny bit of help, OP.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

wa27 posted:

This Roby Trucking that had a driver crash and die in PA a few years ago?

http://abc7news.com/news/fatal-pittsburg-big-rig-accident-could-have-been-prevented/562131/

PITTSBURG, Calif.

Pittsburg != Pittsburgh

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Christ. I was hoping it was a SAIA driver. Those fuckers are the cheapest of cheap assholes. I had to unload the driver's personal belongings, who was living inside the 53' dry van, to load our poo poo on. gently caress them.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
:five: and goldmine

And holy poo poo everything about this. I hope your sister gets well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol I'm glad I idly clicked on SA-Mart and saw this - good poo poo OP :five:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
:five:

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

hendersa posted:

While SA-Mart is a bit different from the other SA sub-forums because we can't vote on threads, this :five: is the best I can do for you.

Has an SA-Mart thread ever been put into the Goldmine? We're nudging over into that territory. How many transactions ask for help and then end up on the evening news?

I think we used to have a few good ones and I do believe we used to be able to rate. The Dr will know.

Great story op, I was ready to chip in to your cause! Glad you got the bastard. Had he stopped, left a card, what ever, mistakes happen. Hit and runs are a cunty thing to do. Thanks for following up!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I can finally cum, seeing the ending.

There is hope in this world.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i hope that guy loses his insurance and his license and his trucker's license gently caress him

dude was probably high as gently caress on meth or something also

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks for the update. Your sister sure does have poo poo luck and I wish her a speedy recovery.

As a Lawrenceville resident, the drivers here are awful with no regards to the traffic rules.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i hope that guy loses his insurance and his license and his trucker's license gently caress him

dude was probably high as gently caress on meth or something also

Even if he doesn't, he likely won't find any work. Back when I worked in retail, one of my coworkers used to drive trucks. He got into a small at-fault accident and no companies will hire him anymore.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Even if he doesn't, he likely won't find any work. Back when I worked in retail, one of my coworkers used to drive trucks. He got into a small at-fault accident and no companies will hire him anymore.

Well, the guy can hire himself, which sounds like what happened in this case so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I came here looking for a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G 6GB 192Bit GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card and instead found the feel-good story of the forums.