Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Over the last two weeks my one year old female cat has experienced weight loss, behaviour change, and other weirdness. Mong was always pretty skinny and not a big eater, but lately she has been losing weight to the point she looks really boney (3.3kg), she has gone from being playful to pretty docile, and attempts to pet her result in her getting up moving a little bit away and then lying down again. She doesn't seem interested in her old food, and so over the last several days I've been feeding her tuna. Three days ago she ate about 1/3 tin of tuna and seemed to enjoy it, yesterday she polished off the rest of the tin, but then today is showing no interest at all again. As far as I can tell she is drinking normally. She is acting like she is very uncomfortable with something.

I took her to the vet yesterday. Aside from a full physical examination they also did a full series of blood tests. The examination and blood tests turned up nothing. The vet's advice was to maybe try an appetite stimulant, and overall there didn't seem to be much concern expressed. I kind of feel like I'm watching her on her last legs right now, and I'm worried that there are other things that could have been tested for but weren't. I'm looking for any advice as to other things that could be checked. Something is wrong with my cat and it's really worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I had a roommate once whose cat had these exact same symptoms and it turned out to be feline leukemia. When we took the cat to the vet, they diagnosed it right away though. I imagine your vet would have tested for it already?

Whatever it is, sorry man. I hope it's something not too serious and your kitty feels better soon.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

TresTristesTigres posted:

I had a roommate once whose cat had these exact same symptoms and it turned out to be feline leukemia. When we took the cat to the vet, they diagnosed it right away though. I imagine your vet would have tested for it already?

Whatever it is, sorry man. I hope it's something not too serious and your kitty feels better soon.
One of the tests performed was for feline leukemia, so thankfully that's not it.

I'm starting to think she maybe fell off something and hurt her sides. She doesn't react in a painful way if I poke around on her, but she really seems to be in discomfort. I know cats can hide pain pretty well, but if she had something broken it would be obvious wouldn't it?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I don't know if anyone is curious how this turned out, but it's not a happy ending.

I got frustrated today that my cat wasn't getting better so I went back to the vet and pushed for an xray. Vet came back and said "found the problem, your kitties lungs are full of fluid". Apparently the prognosis for that is pretty loving grim, but there's a chance after draining the fluid that the fluid doesn't return and the cat makes a full recovery. Clinging on to that hope I took her to the emergency vet to have them drain her, and their vet came in and said "it's not fluid, there's a mass in there instead". Turns out my kitty has a tumor the size of Texas and now I have to say goodbye. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

InternetJunky posted:

I don't know if anyone is curious how this turned out, but it's not a happy ending.

I got frustrated today that my cat wasn't getting better so I went back to the vet and pushed for an xray. Vet came back and said "found the problem, your kitties lungs are full of fluid". Apparently the prognosis for that is pretty loving grim, but there's a chance after draining the fluid that the fluid doesn't return and the cat makes a full recovery. Clinging on to that hope I took her to the emergency vet to have them drain her, and their vet came in and said "it's not fluid, there's a mass in there instead". Turns out my kitty has a tumor the size of Texas and now I have to say goodbye. :(

:( :glomp:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

InternetJunky posted:

Horrible. Cat is so young too...

Peeches
May 25, 2018

That really sucks, I'm sorry. I can't believe that the first vet didn't see the tumor and you had to go to emergency vet! WTF!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

princess_peach posted:

That really sucks, I'm sorry. I can't believe that the first vet didn't see the tumor and you had to go to emergency vet! WTF!

you know that old joke about the doc that graduates at the bottom of the class? You still call him doctor? It's the same with vets. There's a lot of trash ones out there that barely manage to scrape by but still get the right to call themselves a doctor. Truth be told, I've seen people with 30 years of farming experience know more than some vets with the same amount of experience, on the same animals.

I'm sorry about your cat OP. There's fuckall that can be done at that level anyway so don't feel too hosed over from the first vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
:sympathy:

Same thing happened to one of our kitties two years ago. I can sympathize greatly. :smith:

• Locked thread