Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I intend to open the IC thread likely on Monday. I will set up the roll20 for character sheets tomorrow. If you could mention your exact timezone that will be useful for coordinating scenes on Discord when we want to do one-on-ones. In the meantime, I have some homework for my new players.

For the record I live in the eastern time zone in the United States. I am cursed by humidity and tourists as a native Floridian. The perfect person to play an angry lizard!

Disguises!

"Hello there fellow villager! How about this weather?"

Alternative disguise

First, describe to me an aborted escape attempt you made on the first day of your imprisonment, and why it failed. This will both let your character know their limitations IC before we begin proper, and also might add some details (and strengths/weaknesses) of your prison.

Talingarde is going to need a bigger boat.

Next, you will select three bonds to have with your fellow villains. They needn't make immediate sense in the narrative and can develop during the first adventure, but you should discuss with other players and get an idea of some early character dynamics. There are three bonds you should pick:
  • One is someone who has something you covet. It needn't be material, but it has to be something you can take.
  • One is someone who has on you some leverage. It needn't be dangerous, but it is a power they have over you.
  • One is someone who has your rivalry. It needn't be enmity, but it is a desire to beat them at something.
Each of your bonds should be someone different, and you cannot select for each "type" someone that has already been selected for that, to encourage an equal distribution. If you aren't sure how it might work out, please feel free to talk it out. Think about why your character might feel that way. Remember, this is how your character feels so it should be primarily your input, but its also a test of collaborative storytelling to build on that.

Covet - Glenn: Glenn's fascination with maps gives Hriss access to information he needs to find the Wave's Delight and his possessions still on board the ship. Trade routes, ports of call, the entire lay of the land of this strange place he has been marooned in.

Leverage - Worm: One might think that a small goblin would be the least likely to have any sort of leverage over the lizardman behemoth. But Hriss has a healthy respect for the powers of shamans and other such healers due to his upbringing in the lizardfolk culture. As Worm is capable of healing wounds and enhancing Hriss' ability to fight that puts a great value on the little goblin.

Rivalry - Niashé: That same healthy respect for magic comes into play when it comes to the shadow sorcery of Niashé. But this kind of powerful arcane magic is much stranger to Hriss and that makes him wary of it. Another factor that makes Hriss uncomfortable is that Niashé is from a background of immense wealth and social standing yet she is a soft skinned creature like the others. How is one so fragile so powerful? And why the obsession with shiny metal past what one needs to live?

Lastly, you will name three rumours about your character. These are your reputation that carries with their deeds. One puts you in a flattering light, one in a disparaging light, and one in a mysterious light. Two of them are lies, one of them is true. Tell me, the Dungeon Master, which is which over Discord or forum PM. Then, other players can select one of each type to know of other players from each of the three kinds, with the intent to use it for the basis of a scene or conversation later on, so it might be best to pick rumours from people you don't already have bonds with.

Flattery: posted:

“It was the damndest thing I’ve ever seen in all my years on the Delight I tell you what,” the grizzled old salt named Jacob said to the table of new sign ons. “I thought we were all goners until big Hriss got in the fight.”

“That’s the Captain’s pet lizard, right?” one of the eager new swabs asked. One of the veterans at the next table leaned over and cuffed the kid in the back of the head. “Ow what the gently caress man?”

Jacob slammed his empty mug on the table. “Don’t you go lettin’ the Captain hear you talk poo poo about Hriss. You’ll be scrubbin’ pelican poo poo off the deck for six months. When those Sahuagin came boil’ over the rail while we were anchored in that cove we were caught dead. No one’s ever seen them in that neck of the sea in years.”

The old man had the whole tables attention now. Even the one who got cuffed had stopped rubbing his head. “They came on screamin’ and stabbin’ with those tridents? You ever heard a fishman warcry? You’ll never forget it if you have. Five mates were dead before we could grab our weapons. Then big Hriss came up from below deck carrying a barrel o’something. I can’t remember what it was,” Jacob paused to think.

“It was a barrel of dried fish. The Captain said that made it funnier.” one of the other old salts said.

“Oh yeah. Well Hriss takes one look at the raid and chucks the entire barrel across the deck into one of the screamin’ fishmen. The fucker flew back thirty feet I swear on my share! Then he just waded right into the mess of them. He was swingin’ those big masts he’s got for arms and takin’ big chunks of meat out of them with those claws. A big fishman comes chargin’ at Hriss and the big green shitkicker just stops him with a right hand! Picked the fucker up by the gills like some fresh catch and bites his face right off! By then the other fish folk have just stopped and starin’ like the devil himself had shown up. Hriss went right back to work on them. By the time we got organized Hriss was chasing the whole horde off the ship.”

By now half the bar was wrapped around Jacob’s fingers. He was lovin’ every minute of it. “Then after all that the Captain goes up to Hriss and pats him on the shoulder. ‘Good job, Hriss. I’m proud of you,’ the Captain said. And there stands Hriss, half covered in fish guts and stab wounds. And all he says is ‘Thank you, Captain. Shall I go back to my duties now?”

Disparaging: posted:

“I don’t care how many barrels Ortiz says he can carry that thing is a monster an’ no good’ll come of it on board.”

“It ain’t your call, Pete. Captain Ortiz wants that green bag of muscle the Delight. And how many times has Hriss fought off five times what the next swab could?”

“But you see that my point, Carl! How many years we both been doin’ this? I can’t even remember.”

“You couldn’t even count that high if you remembered,” Carl said.

“gently caress you, Carl. I’m serious! How many lizardfolk raids we fought off? A fucker as big as Hriss should be runnin’ his own warband of the scaley bastards. Why’s he on a pirate ship with not ‘nuther of his kind?”

“Pete we’re legitimate businessmen. Don’t you let Captain Ortiz hear you say something like that.”

“Bullshit! The only thing keepin’ me from being a bigger joke of a pirate is a’ eyepatch to go with me peg leg! No no no that big lizards is cursed. Probably hosed with his village shaman or something bad. Makes me cold in me boot just thinkin’ of it”

“Drink more grog it will warm you back up.”

Mysterious: posted:

“Yea’ never heard off Captain Ortiz’s pet lizard have yea’, Eddie? Tall as a main mast and five hun’ned pounds if he’s an ounce. Or at half as heavy as Bill’s old lady!”

“gently caress you, Charlie!” another man yells from across the room.

“Better you than her! But I tell yea’ all I ain’t never seen a lizardman as big as him. Something powerful must be lookin’ out for that one. Maybe some dragon sittin’ on it’s horde o’ treasure or one of the old gods. But somethin’ powerful’s takin’ a shine to that Hriss fellow.”

“You watch your fuckin’ mouth Charlie. I don’t want the priests messin’ up the atmosphere of my bar,” says the bartender.”

“Lighten’ up will yea’ Al? You’ve seen the damned thing with your own eyes haven’t you?”

"I said shut the gently caress up. Drink your ale."

Lastly, you will name three rumours about your character. These are your reputation that carries with their deeds. One puts you in a flattering light, one in a disparaging light, and one in a mysterious light. Two of them are lies, one of them is true. Tell me, the Dungeon Master, which is which over Discord or forum PM. Then, other players can select one of each type to know of other players from each of the three kinds, with the intent to use it for the basis of a scene or conversation later on, so it might be best to pick rumours from people you don't already have bonds with.

For the purposes of tracking, both my own and game wise, I'll post what I am considering for rumors I would investigate.

Flattering:
Gertrude - "Healer arrives just in time! The town of Broikoss is singing the praises of a mysterious visitor who passed through the town this week. Lean times this winter in the Cazcus Wilds made the goblin raiding parties especially desperate this year. Many of the Broikoss militia were injured, but a wandering healer came to their aid before any casualties could be had."

Hriss has a healthy respect for healers as they are often leaders of lizardfolk in the form of shamans and other holy figures. Hriss would find this and Gertrude's age as signs of survival and utility and thus reasons to be respectful and even curious about the woman.

Disparaging:

Mysterious:
Excellence - "Ware picking up cards with the devilish Excellence. It's been said that she once won such a victory over one of her rival captains, that the man aged decades from the mental strain."

We had some discussion about how Excellence and Hriss play card games and the reasons they would enjoy it. A rumor like that is going to intrigue even someone as stoic and unemotional as Hriss.

Trast fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
This is a little something I just felt like writing as I form Hriss' personality and background experiences.

Flashback... posted:

“Hriss tries to talk smack”

A cheer rose up from the circle of sailors as Baruk the Barnacle crashed to the deck in an unconscious heap. Hriss stood above the fallen half-orc in his usual stoic manner. Several in the crowd exchanged wagered coin.

“At least act like yer’ happy yah’ big lizard,” one of the crew said as he handed over gold coins to his fellow. He’d wagered poorly today.

“I am pleased that I have won this fight, yes.” Hriss replied. The gathered sailors looked at him expectantly. Hriss considered the situation and slowly raised his arm above his head and clenched his fist. The crowd broke into another cheer. Someone called for a bucket of water to help wake up Baruk.

“Now you gotta’ talk some smack!” cried another man in the crowd, his hands heavy with coin. Hriss looked at him and cocked his head to the side, confused.

“You’ve got to tell everyone how it happen! Be proud!” a third man said.

“Why? You all witnessed the fight with your own eyes.” Again the crowd looked at Hriss expectantly. Looking down onto the fallen form of the half-orc Hriss took in the details of the damage he’d administered. “I have sufficiently beaten Baruk the Barnacle until he has fallen unconscious and soiled himself!” Hriss yelled, trying to meet the crews expectations.

Now it was the crowd’s turn to look confused. Then a man pushed himself forward and turned to the others. “Hriss kicked the poo poo out of Baruk!” The loudest cheer yet rang out. Then the crowd gots a whiff of the air and realizes that Hriss was being serious. Someone called for more buckets.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Edited it into my homework post, but claiming rumors from people I have zero connection with currently.

Flattering from Excellence.
Disparaging from Glenn.
Mysterious from Egina.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I’ll take Glenn’s Mysterious. As for the other two, looking at some combination of Worm, Pharom and Sal but am flexible.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859066

Game thread is live.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

The variant rules that are in play if you don't have them available immediately.

Disarm posted:

A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item.

The attacker has disadvantage on its attack roll if the target is holding the item with two or more hands. The target has advantage on its ability check if it is larger than the attacking creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller.

Mark posted:

This option makes it easier for melee combatants to harry each other with opportunity attacks.

When a creature makes a melee attack, it can also mark its target. Until the end of the attacker's next turn, any opportunity attack it makes against the marked target has advantage. The opportunity attack doesn't expend the attacker's reaction, but the attacker can't make the attack if anything, such as the incapacitated condition or the shocking grasp spell, is preventing it from taking reactions. The attacker is limited to one opportunity attack per turn.

Overrun posted:

When a creature tries to move through a hostile creature's space, the mover can try to force its way through by overrunning the hostile creature. As an action or a bonus action, the mover makes a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the hostile creature's Strength (Athletics) check. The creature attempting the overrun has advantage on this check if it is larger than the hostile creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller. If the mover wins the contest, it can move through the hostile creature's space once this turn.

Shove Aside posted:

With this option, a creature uses the special shove attack from the Player's Handbook to force a target to the side, rather than away. The attacker has disadvantage on its Strength (Athletics) check when it does so. If that check is successful, the attacker moves the target 5 feet to a different space within its reach.

Tumble posted:

A creature can try to tumble through a hostile creature's space, ducking and weaving past the opponent. As an action or a bonus action, the tumbler makes a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by the hostile creature's Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the tumbler wins the contest, it can move through the hostile creature's space once this turn.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a particular thing for me in the games I run, but I need people to specify what equipment you are taking in your IC posts, which is going fine for suiting up in the armory, but we've arrived on some confusion about where the boons from the black rose went. I am going to repost it here.

The first petal can become a stiletto dagger, while the second can become a garrote wire. The third can become a hooded bullseye lantern, while the fourth can become fifty feet of silken rope. The fifth becomes a spell component pouch, while the sixth can be a satchel of alchemical reagents, enough for a day's use. The seventh can become a potion of healing, while the eighth becomes a set of thieves' tools. The ninth can become an unholy symbol of Asmodeus, made of silver, while the tenth can become one hundred golden coronas (GP). The eleventh can become a vial of poison, and the twelfth can become a "window" that can be placed against any surface, like a portable hole, but only once.

Niashe has stated that she is willing to give out all of these except the gold pouch and spell component pouch (though she's willing to lend the latter if asked). Excellence took the garrote (and gave it to Hriss), Gertrude took the unholy symbol, Pharom took the satchel, and Glenn took the thieves' tools. The window has just been used. That leaves a dagger, the bullseye lantern, the rope, the potion and the poison. Just so that we're clear, if anyone wants to claim these, they should do so shortly in the thread, because next time I update, things are going to kick off and you're not likely to have much downtime to have this discussion later as people will be engaged in action or separated.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally got around to these since I'm now staying more at my place.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
New House Rule: Minions

From here on out, since it feels appropriate for the scale of the kind of engagements you'll be involved in, and will help you folks really feel like terrifying villains, I'm going to incorporate the Minion rules.

A Minion has no HP. They die when they take any damage. The one exception is that if a spell would deal only half damage on a successful save, it deals no damage to Minions (as if they had Evasion). A Minion does not benefit from Critical Hits.

Any creature can be marked as a minion, which will be a tag that replaces their HP total in more combat. Most unnamed NPCs like common folk and the like will be Minions. Only those who have names, or given some narrative weight, are actually a real challenge to the villainy of the PCs.

Hero Points can be used at any time to upgrade a Minion into a true possible hero, sometimes after you feel you have dispatched that nuisance! Heroes come from humble places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is the third night of my bathroom spitting up sewage from the overflow drain, and thus it's reached a critical point where me and my roommate are trying to move out of our rental ASAP. I hope to continue to be active, ironically will be best able to do that on my work days, but in the meantime I'll be at half capacity at best. Apologies!

• Locked thread