Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Man's not hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Elias_Maluco posted:

They wasted one on the USA so

Jokes about America (which they deserve) aside, the US had:
1. A lot of people that FIFA sponsors want to sell stuff to
2. Big media companies that can pay big money for broadcasting rights to future WCs if it catches on

I'm sure Qatar gave a lot of money to Sepp Blatter and friends but looking at the banners in Russia FIFA can make a lot more if it moves the tournament to China

https://twitter.com/chidajunsei3163/status/1018113589142405120

Best anime of the tournament imo

poty fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 15, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

poty posted:

Jokes about America (which they deserve) aside, the US had:
1. A lot of people that FIFA sponsors want to sell stuff to
2. Big media companies that can pay big money for broadcasting rights to future WCs if it catches on

I'm sure Qatar gave a lot of money to Sepp Blatter and friends but looking at the banners in Russia FIFA can make a lot more if it moves the tournament to China

https://twitter.com/chidajunsei3163/status/1018113589142405120

Best anime of the tournament imo

Commercially, absence of US and China is a legit disaster for FIFA and I don't know how China wasn't corruptioned into qualifying yet

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
As the WC concludes I can safely state that I remained in a fully hyped state for the duration of the tournament. Good World Cup. A++. Would buy again.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Alexeythegreat posted:

Commercially, absence of US and China is a legit disaster for FIFA and I don't know how China wasn't corruptioned into qualifying yet

I'm pretty sure FIFA is adding more and more countries to the World Cup so that China can finally get in.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Bourricot posted:

I'm pretty sure FIFA is adding more and more countries to the World Cup so that China can finally get in.

china qualified for 2002. they were poo poo.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Chinese don't really like soccer

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
"euro 2020" search term is peaking now

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

You could make it so every country in Asia qualify and China would still struggle to make it, they're incredibly bad

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This was a good world cup. And if those French and Danish cunts had expended a bit more effort, we wouldn't have had a single goalless match :argh:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I am sad this world cup is over, it was a great mix of comedy, rad goals, bad germans and most surprisingly not a single deathtrap stadium collapsed, no racisms were done except by maradona, and the only people the cops beat up were pussy riot

i'm going to miss the sight of sputnik spiralling over a bunch of horses and trains and weird pyramids every morning

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
New PL season starts in 3 weeks :getin:

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Fagner

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

What's gonna happen at Qatar 2022? Since its during the season are they suspending domestic leagues and cups or are teams expected to play with 2nd strength teams?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm sad the World Cup is over but it was a very good World Cup imo and I'm glad to have watched almost all of it and posted about it with my HFF posting pals.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Dikaraboramadub/status/1018565710749032448

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CyberPingu posted:

are teams expected to play with 2nd strength teams?

that would own

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

CyberPingu posted:

What's gonna happen at Qatar 2022? Since its during the season are they suspending domestic leagues and cups or are teams expected to play with 2nd strength teams?

Would have to be a break in the season, no idea how they'll manage pre/post tournament, though. It's a slightly shorter World Cup, but you'd have to think players who go far in the tournament will effectively be punished in terms of fitness for their club. This isn't just a longer international break, it's up to 7 loving games extra in a season.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mickolution posted:

Would have to be a break in the season, no idea how they'll manage pre/post tournament, though. It's a slightly shorter World Cup, but you'd have to think players who go far in the tournament will effectively be punished in terms of fitness for their club. This isn't just a longer international break, it's up to 7 loving games extra in a season.

Would they not have to extend the league seasons by a month. Which has a knock-on affect to all the Champions League qualifiers. Which then means starting the next season after a month shorter break?>

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Would they not have to extend the league seasons by a month. Which has a knock-on affect to all the Champions League qualifiers. Which then means starting the next season after a month shorter break?>

I'd guess they'll start earlier and end later, which will have knock on effects for seasons either side.

On the subject of leagues being active, I know this is new territory, but FIFA usually have a cut off point before the tournament (end of May, I think) where players cannot play for their clubs and still be part of the World Cup. I think that's why the Championship playoff final was a Saturday this year rather than the usual Bank Holiday Monday. I remember it being on a Saturday a few years back, think that was a WC year too.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I am sad this world cup is over, it was a great mix of comedy, rad goals, bad germans and most surprisingly not a single deathtrap stadium collapsed, no racisms were done except by maradona, and the only people the cops beat up were pussy riot

i'm going to miss the sight of sputnik spiralling over a bunch of horses and trains and weird pyramids every morning

Actually one of the stadiums did have a bit of an issue: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-worldcup-russia-flood-stadium/heavy-rain-damages-russian-world-cup-stadium-idUSKBN1K61YV

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://youtu.be/-_cidE6WVz4

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

That's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol

• Locked thread