Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just get a SCART cable and a SCART to HDMI upscaler that supports 15kHz

I have this setup for my Apple IIgs and it works great, I’m expecting it to work great for my Atari ST and my coming Amiga as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Amiga is the best.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
hey, it’s pissflaps

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

clone on the phone posted:

When I was a teenager I had an A500 with a second disk drive and the 512kb memory expansion, but I lusted greatly after an A1200. Alas, it never happened. I wonder how much they cost these days. I still regret getting rid of it all.

this allowed you to get crash replays in Indy 500

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

eschaton posted:

my coming Amiga
a computer that can come too when you gently caress it: the YOSPOS dream

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

The 1084s I bid on ended up selling for drat near $500, aka the same price I paid for my 50" 4k tv. I think Amiga people might be too crazy for me, so mayhaps I will stick with the raspberry pi.

u know how people say everything's cost is inflated if its for a wedding, like a flower arrangement would be like $50 but if u say its for a wedding its suddenly $300

amiga is the wedding.

"oh, you need an old ide hard drive adapter? 5 bucks. oh, for amiga? 45 dollars."

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

this allowed you to get crash replays in Indy 500

I played a hell of a lot of Indy 500.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

clone on the phone posted:

I played a hell of a lot of Indy 500.

what else did you play

did you play armorgeddon

did you play populous 2

maybe you played syndicate in its truest form?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Pissflaps posted:

maybe you played syndicate in its truest form?
i don't believe that the amiga can run syndicate plus on cd-rom

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

my painted-black Amiga 500 and external drive and PSU arrived today

it included a non-Amiga mouse that said it was a serial mouse on the back, so I’ll have to use this wacky chrome mouse I found for a couple bucks instead

I should be getting a SCART cable any day now too since LOL at paying eBay prices for a 1084 or whatever

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
badass mouse

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

holy poo poo that mouse lmao

I'd send you some Zorro cards if you had a desktop amiga but I don't have any A500 parts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

thanks!

I need to know what to get for my A500, near as I can tell it’s entirely stock, no mods/additions

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

depends how crazy you want to go

you'll at least want a trapdoor memory expansion to give you 1 meg of chip ram (https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/A512.html)

if you want a quick jump into the Amiga Experience and don't mind forking over some cash you can get an ACA500 accelerator (https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/ACA500plus.html) which provides a 14MHz CPU upgrade, 8 megs of Fast RAM, some onboard flash memory, and two compactflash slots plus a licensed kickstart installer for EUR129

you could also go eBay hunting for expansion cards but that's the easiest way to get onboard

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

depends how crazy you want to go

you'll at least want a trapdoor memory expansion to give you 1 meg of chip ram (https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/A512.html)

if you want a quick jump into the Amiga Experience and don't mind forking over some cash you can get an ACA500 accelerator (https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/ACA500plus.html) which provides a 14MHz CPU upgrade, 8 megs of Fast RAM, some onboard flash memory, and two compactflash slots plus a licensed kickstart installer for EUR129

you could also go eBay hunting for expansion cards but that's the easiest way to get onboard

thanks!

looks like an ACA500plus and RTC module might be in my future

I’ll also probably get a Kickstart 1.3 chip and Gotek or something like that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

what kickstart is on it, 1.2? you can softkick to any version you need at the cost of some chip ram

for running games, 1.3 is the best; for productivity, 3.1 is the best.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it’s actually had Kickstart 2.04 installed, I think I should downgrade to 1.3 though for games

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

my ACA500plus and A512 both arrived and work, yay

of course I seem to have gotten myself into a mode where the Amiga freezes until I push the button on the ACA500plus, like I click an icon in Workbench and the system is frozen until I push the button

I suspect it thinks I want to drop into a debugger or something, but resetting things to factory defaults doesn’t fix it and it’s really harshing my mellow

I guess my next step is to restore the firmware in hopes that doing so flips whatever bit got set

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the paint job is growing on me though

also RBG→SCART→HDMI works great for output, everything looks beautiful and having audio go through the TV too is nice throwback, it’ll be fun to play some games on the big screen once I have everything fully working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I used to be a huge amiga fanboy and had a bunch of them including a rickety 1200 mounted into a lovely tower with a powerpc card and a permedia 2 graphics card dangling haphazardly from it. I spent years writing dumb assembly code on it

I was going to amiga user groups and poo poo, where a bunch of broken nerds would gush over the same 3 lovely old applications and games, the latest comically terrible hardware hack allowing to use some real world computer peripheral, and the latest actual new app (which was always some application launcher, it was application launchers all the way down)

One day i was like "wait this all a bunch of garbage poo poo for idiots wtf am I doing" and I bought a normal computer

Op just install UAE (it can emulate any Amiga configuration perfectly down to weirdly specific details such as an accurate simulation of the floppy drive noises) & dl a bunch of old poo poo to play with and laugh about for a day or so, it should be enough to prevent a relapse

• Locked thread