Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The engine room would be fine if falling off put you at the beginning of the room instead of the beginning of the stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Banjo Tooie is the anti matter Mario Odyssey

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

i heard people talkin poo poo about the N64 controller

fite me

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

DK64 broke me of the collectathon bug and I never went back. I played SM64 and Banjo Kazooie quite happily but I looked at all the collectibles for 6 different characters (and some were just you could get this as any Kong but you have to be the right one to pick it up gently caress off) and just saw it as a complete waste of my time.

And this was as a teenager with absolutely nothing better to do

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It is objectively the worst controller of all Nintendo/Sega/Sony/Microsoft standards. Next is the Gamecube.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not while the Dreamcast controller exists

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0XvQ4X0oYA

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Unreal_One posted:

It is objectively the worst controller of all Nintendo/Sega/Sony/Microsoft standards. Next is the Gamecube.

It's a mastery of accessibility that it could be used both right-handed and left-handed. People just couldn't get their heads around that it was designed so you only ever held 2 out of 3 prongs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've always had kind of big mitts... even when i was nine, it was no problem for me to grip the middle and left prongs and still comfortably reach my thumb over the joystick

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the joystick+mario party led to many casualities

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

the joystick+c-buttons led to many casualities

...in Goldeneye :smug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
devil may cry 2 is hosed up because the game is a complete mess and there are actually a couple funny bits where the developers' intent to make a decent game shine through in spite of that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's a mastery of accessibility that it could be used both right-handed and left-handed. People just couldn't get their heads around that it was designed so you only ever held 2 out of 3 prongs

meanwhile sony was making a controller designed for all of its buttons to be usable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you: the n64 controller is a mastery of accessibility

me:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Where's the image showing that the Wii nunchuck is just literally the middle prong of the N64 controller..

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I did the Dark Brotherhood quest in Oblivion where you go to a party and kill the guests one by one. I'm so glad that video games have finally properly found a way for me to live out my dreams of being a psychopath.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I did the Dark Brotherhood quest in Oblivion where you go to a party and kill the guests one by one. I'm so glad that video games have finally properly found a way for me to live out my dreams of being a psychopath.

The better summary of that one is "it's a murder mystery where you're the murderer"

Oblivion had a lot of problems but its high concept quests were great

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 1, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

The better summary of that one is "it's a murder mystery where you're the murderer"

Oblivion had a lot of problems but ts high concept quests were great

I liked all the faction quests in oblivion way more than skyrim.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

:chloe:

The GCN controller is among the best controllers ever made, friend.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Shortest Path posted:

:chloe:

The GCN controller is among the best controllers ever made, friend.

I personally dont like it at all but its no n64/dreamcast abortion

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Who thought putting motion controls in Breath of the Wild was a good idea

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
All the Overwatch talk reminded me of TimeSplitters 2. Now there's a cast!

In Training posted:

TF2 is now a nightmare thanks to years of continued "support". The TF2 that existed in 2007 is gone forever

Get The Orange Box on PS3!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

Who thought putting motion controls in Breath of the Wild was a good idea

Who thought leaving out the zelda game was a good idea? :iiam:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

On the topic of controller accessibility, Microsoft's new adaptive controller is really cool and I kind of want one even though I'll never use it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
timesplitters 2 owns but over time i start to feel less positive about the sense of humor in timesplitters 3

but 2 deffo deserves a rerelease with better aiming the level design in that game is pretty tight

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Who thought leaving out the zelda game was a good idea? :iiam:
I mean I get wanting to change up the series, I remember people complaining that the Zelda formula had gotten stale for years.

OTOH this dumb "ball in maze" puzzle in Hateno Village that took me like half an hour to jigger just right was maybe the dumbest thing I've seen in a video game in a long while.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

I mean I get wanting to change up the series, I remember people complaining that the Zelda formula had gotten stale for years.

OTOH this dumb "ball in maze" puzzle in Hateno Village that took me like half an hour to jigger just right was maybe the dumbest thing I've seen in a video game in a long while.

Flip it upside down and theres no maze...just like theres no good dungeons, bosses, or progression of links toolset

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

i heard people talkin poo poo about the N64 controller

fite me

"well we're not sure if this 3d thing will pan out so let's separate the dpad and the stick"

it's a coward's controller

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like the prototype PS3 controller would have been the best successor to the N64 controller because it would have realized its destiny to actually just be a boomerang.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Real hurthling! posted:

I liked all the faction quests in oblivion way more than skyrim.

Oh my god I have to go kill all my Dark Brotherhood bros what :vince:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As it is though, the N64 controller is just this weird modular pitchfork of a controller with delusions of grandeur.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I remember it taking forever for my dad to internalize the existence of the Z button on the N64 controller

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

meanwhile sony was making a controller designed for all of its buttons to be usable

All the buttons are usable on the N64? 90% of the time you're pressing stick/d-pad plus one or two buttons so you're not limited.

The Colonel posted:

me:

Atari_Lynx.png

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

me:

Playing Doom on that was a trip

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rarity posted:

Oh my god I have to go kill all my Dark Brotherhood bros what :vince:

That's a great line. I loved the Thieves Guild line too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's funny that oblivion is mechanically and design-wise kind of a mess but its ideas and writing are more generally fun than skyrim while skyrim is a much more functional game with the dullest, most toothless script imaginable where every guild feels like it's just over halfway through

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My friend's dad would always name his PS1 save files "DADDY" and we would cheer him on while he played Medal of Honor. This is what I choose to imagine when I see daddies in Mario Kart

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I wish Hellblade had been a game with a weird story and simple yet satisfying combat. I'm two hours in and these constant matching "puzzles" every 5-10 minutes are insufferable.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

My friend's dad would always name his PS1 save files "DADDY" and we would cheer him on while he played Medal of Honor. This is what I choose to imagine when I see daddies in Mario Kart

My dad still names his characters/save files "Dad". Or brak. He really liked The Brak Show. Jealous of his good naming ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry I'm late and most of you had to post in the June that thread in July *shudders*
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861905

• Locked thread