Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

mawarannahr posted:

looking at some posts from the first page ... 2018 lol

Hahaha yeah :gbsmith:...sigh...yeah :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Orange Devil posted:

Did Germany just ban speaking Sorbian and Frisian, which are recognized regional indigenous languages?
Danish and Romani too.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Some English guy bought me the avatar because I posted in an anti-imperialist thread. (I loathe all English people.)

you are contemptible

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/fraubalhorn/status/1780883573513351386?t=C_5Me2p4Cu_7-Rwm3n7B3Q&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The AdF will rule Germany very very soon

Bomber Harris is coming!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nonsense posted:

The AdF will rule Germany very very soon

the alternativ dur feutschland?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Doc Hawkins posted:

the alternativ dur feutschland?

sure you mean durr

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the current gov in Portugal is taking head of the the 25th November ideological project, a (successful) counter-revolution a year after the popular revolution of 25th April 1974 but was always shunned by people or at the least ignore, now it's getting prepped as actually freedom started this day

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin will make it pretty much all the way to Portugal.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
EU Parliament approves ban of products made with forced labour

Reuters posted:

BRUSSELS, April 23 (Reuters) - The European Parliament approved rules on Tuesday to ban in the EU the sale, import and export of goods made using forced labour.

WHY IT'S IMPORTANT

The move was driven by EU lawmakers concerned about human rights in the Chinese region of Xinjiang.

The United States enacted a similar law in 2021 to safeguard its market from products potentially tainted by human rights abuses in Xinjiang, where the U.S. government says China is committing genocide against Uyghur Muslims.

Ok some weird moves to escalate a trade war with China.

Even on Reddit, replies were asking how this will impact chocolate and US prison labor.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

EU Parliament approves ban of products made with forced labour

Ok some weird moves to escalate a trade war with China.

Even on Reddit, replies were asking how this will impact chocolate and US prison labor.
:rip:
A Dark Spot for the Solar Energy Industry: Forced Labor in Xinjiang

www.csis.org posted:

Global solar power capacity has increased due to efficiency gains, lower costs of solar module components, and government support for renewable energy transitions. In the past decade, China has come to dominate world solar cell production.

Residential, commercial, and utility solar panels rely on photovoltaic (PV) cells to absorb and convert sunlight into usable energy. Most PV cells are made with polysilicon components. The polysilicon components are produced through an industrial furnace process that requires extremely high temperatures. Xinjiang, with some of the cheapest power in China thanks to local abundance of coal, has become home to four of the five largest polysilicon factories in the world. Between 2010 and 2020, China’s share of global polysilicon production increased from 26 percent to 82 percent, while the U.S. share decreased from 35 percent to 5 percent. According to Jenny Chase, head of solar analysis at Bloomberg New Energy Finance, “Nearly every silicon-based solar module—at least 95 percent of the market—is likely to have some Xinjiang silicon in it.” In January, a new report explicitly linked solar companies with factories in Xinjiang to the programs accused of forced labor practices.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

the current gov in Portugal is taking head of the the 25th November ideological project, a (successful) counter-revolution a year after the popular revolution of 25th April 1974 but was always shunned by people or at the least ignore, now it's getting prepped as actually freedom started this day

They've been doing that for years, with +Liberdade doing a measure to have expositions on how unions and workers were enslaving the mind of the people at schools, and you can tell its mostly the press trying to push this poo poo because the people that would get angry at "The people will get an extra day off if you go with this stuff" which is probably the main reason people are voting for those polls for an extra day off.

The Bugalho thing is hilarious. OH, a guy who only did talking head poo poo on tv wants to become an EU MP? Time to have the press tell me he's the new Salgueiro Maia by people who do the Bari Weiss\Shai nonsense of constantly trying to get fired but can't because of our strong labor laws.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So one of the poorest regions of China has been turned into the global supplier of a critical resource in the absolutely necessary energy transition?

Seems like that'd bring a lot of prosperity to the region. That's genocide right? You can't just uplift people out of poverty.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

So one of the poorest regions of China has been turned into the global supplier of a critical resource in the absolutely necessary energy transition?

Seems like that'd bring a lot of prosperity to the region. That's genocide right? You can't just uplift people out of poverty.

you can't do it yourself. the West has to do it so you owe them

nevermind that the EU refuses to inspect supply chains for child labor

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Goddamnit, was hoping the prices for solar panels would go down a bit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Actually, did anyone ever bother to produce any kind of document about the supposed forced labor in Xinjiang? Don't remember anything

genericnick has issued a correction as of 11:44 on Apr 24, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Goddamnit, was hoping the prices for solar panels would go down a bit.

They will in everywhere else...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

They will in everywhere else...

aha i knew leaving the EU was the right idea. I'm sure we'll be free to buy all the cheap panels just as soon as we finish spending billions ripping the Huawei equipment out

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

aha i knew leaving the EU was the right idea. I'm sure we'll be free to buy all the cheap panels just as soon as we finish spending billions ripping the Huawei equipment out

Sorry, I meant sovereign nations, not US federal territories and outlying islands.

Also, to be honest, panels with Xinjiang-constructed parts will be still be showing up in panels made elsewhere as well.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:54 on Apr 24, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Sorry, I meant sovereign nations, not US federal territories and outlying islands.

:arghfist::mad:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

genericnick posted:

Actually, did anyone ever bother to produce any kind of document about the supposed forded labor in Xinjiang? Don't remember anything

pretty sure some eurocorp put out an audit that explicitly said STDH

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ardennes posted:

:pwn:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
preview of how the new Xinjiang sanctions will go

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

preview of how the new Xinjiang sanctions will go

Lmao Robin. Do you think we should sanction turkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

genericnick posted:

Lmao Robin. Do you think we should sanction turkey?
We should invade it. On Thanksgiving