Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
as my career drags on, i notice that some of the most infuriating computer disasters seem to be created by people who couldn't count higher than one

for example, there is Dr. Honked's story of the drugged-out coder who kept only one source file on his computer, compiled it, then cleared it so he could write more code

some other examples from my experience:

- my employer's technology was implemented redundantly across three languages. to streamline development, parts of it were ported to javascript and executed with runtimes for those respective languages. but in the process of porting, our architect dumped several classes of code into one javascript file (and not as javascript classes, btw). it stayed that way for over a year until we started shipping bugs because the file was so unwieldy. at that point i figured nobody could stop me from dividing it up, and did so. it still has a further to go but nobody will ever bother.

- there was a project to gather telemetry from the product to support billing. part of the design was a server to receive the telemetry information. the dev who worked on the server side delivered an application that ran (web server and database) on one machine, to support all of our customers and their millions of end-users. the project never saw daylight, tg

- another web service, much less complicated than the telemetry server, was put into production and supports customers from one machine per continent. i don't work on that one but this week i'm hearing rumors that a large customer's traffic is killing it, everyone involved on our side (esp. the deployment team) is just shocked and doesn't know what to do

- there's an internal web UI that, as we were bringing in a second coder to work it, the original dev quit without notice. our current candidate wasn't very good but we hired him in the pinch and left him to work on the UI alone. there was no effective code review and he ignored whatever feedback we gave, so naturally he made the biggest mess you ever saw. but one of his tasks was to add unit tests to the UI. And he did -- all in one file spanning thousands of lines, cut and pasted all to hell

post ur examples of disasters involving "one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:firstpost:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
didnt read voting 1 as directed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

didnt read voting 1 as directed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
guess i should have stopped with one example, i expected too much from yospos

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
remember when microsoft almost called it windows one

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kinect :razz:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my XBONE Kinect is a piece of poo poo.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

remember when microsoft almost called it windows one

youll find thats Windows 2

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Arrays in R

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

kinect :razz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJqliVWSSg&hd=1

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

quote:

post ur examples of disasters involving "one"

In the first phase of a software project, implementing high availability would be serious over engineering / YAGNI crap. Then there's the next phase, where the project is too complicated to implement HA without massive, development halting refactors. Somehow I've never seen these two phases fail to overlap by anything less than six months.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
What is the correct number of successful tests to run before calling a critical task 'automated' and cutting headcount?

Apparently in my org, it's one.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Agile Vector posted:

youll find thats Windows 2

Good joke. 1010/1010

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the matrix, chugged along fine with some minor glitches until it got ruined by some guy named the "1"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

well BAM there it is

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
idk what this is about kinect, does it have anything to do with unscalable software development or is it just some lame trademark joke

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
kinnect ruled for the homebrew stuff people made. some of it went off to museums, and used at artists shows

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

worth the money then. for the art work.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
tbh at an absurdly late stage of my career i still have no idea how much traffic one machine can serve because i've worked at places that either (1) deploy across multiple systems by default and don't allow devs to hand off unscalable code for any reason or (2) just throw code onto one machine and never communicate back anything about QoS

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I laugh every time I hear 'our production machine is down'. I also enjoy when some POS cluster software is completely unusable because it lost one cluster member and had a cascading failure.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

tbh at an absurdly late stage of my career i still have no idea how much traffic one machine can serve because i've worked at places that either (1) deploy across multiple systems by default and don't allow devs to hand off unscalable code for any reason or (2) just throw code onto one machine and never communicate back anything about QoS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

1 git repo containing 15 different projects all deemed business critical by the business with no tests, build pipeline or code reviews done.

• Locked thread