Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

graph posted:

slack's markup is unbelievably stupid imo

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Silver Alicorn posted:

why can't I right click -> edit message, and instead have to hit a very small "..." target and select edit message from there? why does the contextual message only show copy? who designed this bull poo poo

electron is such garbage lol

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

quote:

I've been mulling over exactly how to tell you all this, and I guess this is as good a place as any. The store has been ripping me off horribly, and I'm very nearly broke. I have no evidence that they've ever done anything with donations besides line their own pockets. I've not been paid any money by them in two years. That was upon the 14.2 release (and followed another long period of time with no income). The 14.2 release generated nearly $100K in revenue. The store gave me $15K, and later said that I was "overpaid".

When I agreed to set up the store, it was structured as a company where they owned 60%, and my wife and I owned 40%. I had not yet escaped California and would have quickly gone broke there with a house underwater had I not taken the deal. And 60% seemed fair, since the idea was that the company would be providing health insurance, paying for the production of the goods, and handling shipping and related customer service. And when my daughter was born and needed surgery and continuing medical attention I could hardly jeopardize our insurance in the days before the ACA. I was between a rock and a hard place like many residents of the US. Since then, the store has ceased to provide any benefits, and shouldn't even be getting a 50/50 split in my opinion, much less looting the coffers for 81+% (anything they want to spend money on is an expense, apparently, while any expenses I have to support the actual project come out of the peanuts they toss me). I only found out about how bad it really was last year when I finally managed to get some numbers out of them. I thought the sales were just that bad, and was really rather depressed about it. Another side note - the ownership of the 60% portion of the store changed hands behind my back. Nobody thought they needed to tell me about this. At that point I'd say things got considerably worse for me.

Still not sure how to move forward, but I have some hope that the community might think that my work is and has been worth supporting. If at all possible I'd like to get away from replicating physical media which seems to be a lost cause. T-shirts? Well, maybe, but I don't see that providing a reasonable income either. I'm wondering how Patreon would do. It would at least be better than nothing, which is where I am now.

Through all of this I have continued to work hard towards getting Slackware 15.0 released because I believe it will be by far the best release we've ever had, and because I'm dedicated to my work and the community that uses it. I've never really been in this for the money. At any given juncture (including now) I've had numerous opportunities that would support me and my family far better and would provide us with the things that we need rather desperately. I mean, I'm sitting here in a house with a giant hole in the roof, a broken door sealed with duct tape, and a failed air conditioning condenser that I can't afford to fix, my wife has been driving on a spare tire for weeks, my teeth need serious attention again, and I only just got a machine here with UEFI for the first time (bought a used machine... really out of my budget but it had to be done).

I'm open to suggestions at this point. As far as Slackware 15.0 goes, I've been testing PAM and Kerberos here and have given quite some thought to trying to get them merged (or at least in /testing) so that we can have proper support for Active Directory and NFS. Plasma 5 has been a consideration as well, although frankly it's grown much larger than GNOME was back when I decided that should be spun off for third party maintenance. If that's going in, we really need to analyze which dependencies would not be used outside of Plasma and stick all of those in the KDE series. I'm as tired of the pollution of the L series as the rest of you are.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
slack is good imo

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

graph posted:

Oh boy, can I be the mangled, non-functional backslash-escaping?!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

carry on then posted:

electron is such garbage lol

it is, but arbitrary right click menu options nothing to do with it being electron

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

graph posted:

thats right

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol slack bought hipchat

https://twitter.com/SlackHQ/status/1022575306614431756

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just use irc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
irc sucks and is full of pedos

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Jonny290 connected
Jonny290 disconnected
Jonny290 connected
Jonny291 connected

Jonny291: wtf
Jonny291 disconnected
SilverAlicornSA connected

SilverAlicornSA: sup ya'll
Jonny291 connected
suffix: sup
Gargamel: sup
Jonny290 has been kicked by buttbot
Jonny291 changed their nick to Jonny290

Jonny290: I swear I need to tear the cable co a new one
ToriCMOS: lol
buttbot: I butt I need to butt the butt co a butt one
SilverAlicornSA: lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

Jonny290 connected
Jonny290 disconnected
Jonny290 connected
Jonny291 connected

Jonny291: wtf
Jonny291 disconnected
SilverAlicornSA connected

SilverAlicornSA: sup ya'll
Jonny291 connected
suffix: sup
Gargamel: sup
Jonny290 has been kicked by buttbot
Jonny291 changed their nick to Jonny290

Jonny290: I swear I need to tear the cable co a new one
ToriCMOS: lol
buttbot: I butt I need to butt the butt co a butt one
SilverAlicornSA: lol

Jonny 290 posted:

irc sucks and is full of pedos

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
my company uses SA PMs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zam Wesell posted:

my company uses SA PMs

saddened to hear somethingawful llc still has employees

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

carry on then posted:

saddened to hear somethingawful llc still has employees

Saddened to discover you still have a "Post" button. :(

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

cool I have slack at work now :unsmigghh:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Silver Alicorn posted:

cool I have slack at work now :unsmigghh:

im sorry

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
cut slack some slack they only just raised another half billion dollars

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've been describing slack as "like IRC for morons"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

we use keybase for work and it's pretty needs-suiting but there's only 4 of us in the company.

the chat portion is a reasonably functional slack clone, the more useful thing is the 250GB of encrypted network storage that gets mounted to /keybase and you can share files either to a full team or to individuals, or just keep them synced online for yourself.

i assume we'll eventually find out that they've backdoored the whole thing all along. i don't think they have any business model or like cash flow or anything, so i assume at some point they'll either start charging to have teams over N people or they'll just sell out to facebook

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Someone accused my engineering team of not "learning" how to do long form email because we're "so used to slack".

I didn't take the bait but man. Man that burned.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
slack: discord for normies

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

slack: garbage plate wall hole

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

OldAlias posted: