Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm looking forward to takes like "Wir bedauern seine Entscheidung und respektieren seine geäußerte Meinung. Wir als DFB wollen uns aber nicht damit aufhalten, wir müssen jetzt vorwärts schauen und :words" from the DFB and "Good, now go back home to Anatolia and go gently caress some sheep" from Nazi Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sport Bild interviewed a fellow with a criminal record about Özil.
The whole Axel Springer press are melting down hard about having their politician attacked by a goatfucker. :thunk:

If I was in any way watching television the private channels would do the same probably.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Healbot posted:

Sport Bild interviewed a fellow with a criminal record about Özil.
The whole Axel Springer press are melting down hard about having their politician attacked by a goatfucker. :thunk:

If I was in any way watching television the private channels would do the same probably.

quote:

Bayern Münchens Präsident Uli Hoeneß hat Mesut Özil nach dessen Rücktritt aus der deutschen Fußball-Nationalmannschaft in drastischer Form kritisiert. "Ich bin froh, dass der Spuk vorbei ist. Der hat seit Jahren einen Dreck gespielt. Den letzten Zweikampf hat er vor der WM 2014 gewonnen", sagte Hoeneß Sport Bild und Bild-Zeitung vor dem Abflug des deutschen Rekordmeisters in die USA.

Die Entwicklung in unserem Land sei, so Hoeneß weiter, "eine Katastrophe. Man muss es mal wieder auf das reduzieren, was es ist: Sport. Und sportlich hat Özil seit Jahren nichts in der Nationalmannschaft verloren."

Vielmehr verstecke Özil "sich und seine Mist-Leistung hinter diesem Foto", sagte Hoeneß: "Seine 35 Millionen Follower-Boys - die es natürlich in der wirklichen Welt nicht gibt - kümmern sich darum, dass Özil überragend gespielt hat, wenn er einen Querpass an den Mann bringt."

Brutal.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

elbkaida posted:

Just read his tweets, him dunking on Grindel is pretty great lmao. Did he publish it only in English? The whole thing is very political from a footballer, which is fairly unusual and I wonder what kind of discussion might come out of it.

You don’t have to wonder, the hot takes are already pouring in hard and fast; the Krypto-AfD-Bildungsbürger in the Kommentarspalte on Zeit Online are losing their mind and it’s glorious.

The fact that the letter is in English also seems to have triggered a bunch of people - lmao.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The whole thing is really good and I'm glad we got / are getting a funny punchline.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I haven't rated Özil as a football player for some time, but public persona Özil is amazing. All those idiots who can't deal with his criticism of them can just gently caress off forever.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

ephex posted:

Brutal.

Do you not feel embarrassed to support this club?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ulli zurück in den Knast mmn

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Torrannor posted:

I haven't rated Özil as a football player for some time, but public persona Özil is amazing. All those idiots who can't deal with his criticism of them can just gently caress off forever.

Him blaming the whole thing on racism because a handful of super trash right wing-ish tabloids were racist about it is SUPER retarded. I don't think its unreasonable for people to be pretty upset about a german player posing with the dictator who routinely insults and threatens and otherwise starts as much poo poo as possible with germany.

Obviously there's a group of people going "haha, good riddance goatfucker" or whatever and him getting all this blame heaped on him for the world cup performance or whatever is retarded, he should never have made the final team in the first place and thats 100% down to Löw et al and their bad decision making. It shouldn't have come to the point where the Erdogan thing became an issue to begin with, because if the team really had been picked on merit alone like they always claim he would have been staying home either way.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Yeah, super trash right wing tabloid journos such as Bierhoff and Grindel

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Wengy posted:

Yeah, super trash right wing tabloid journos such as Bierhoff and Grindel

I didn't see the grindel thing but iirc Bierhoff just talked about how stupid the Erdogan picture was (he's right) and how Özil sucked rear end (he's also right but wrong to blame Özil for this, its obvious he was going to suck rear end and the coaching staff shouldn't have taken him in the first place!)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Maybe it’s my Arse glasses but I thought Özil wasn’t the worst player by far?

Anyway, not disputing that the picture was insanely stupid, but most (!) of the criticism he got for it was just a smokescreen for right-wing rants against Turks infesting the aryan Kartoffelelf. And then Germany played a friendly against Saudi Arabia (lol) and a World Cup in Russia (lol) where DFB functionaries and Ehrenspielführer Matthäus posed with Putin (lol).

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Yeah, it was pretty clever from Özil's management to play the racism card cause now all the attention will be focused on that and not the actual problem (the photo with Erdogan). Any criticism will now be deflected with cries of "teh racism!!" and Özil will look like the "winner" of this whole mess.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Sereri posted:

:hai:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Wengy posted:

Maybe it’s my Arse glasses but I thought Özil wasn’t the worst player by far?

Anyway, not disputing that the picture was insanely stupid, but most (!) of the criticism he got for it was just a smokescreen for right-wing rants against Turks infesting the aryan Kartoffelelf. And then Germany played a friendly against Saudi Arabia (lol) and a World Cup in Russia (lol) where DFB functionaries and Ehrenspielführer Matthäus posed with Putin (lol).

Posing with the leader of the host country of the world cup at the world cup (or really, any leaders of countries involved in the world cup) is extremely, completely different from voluntarily going to visit erdogan when he happens to be in the country you live in to get a picture taken with him, imo, at least.

e: Also I'd say maybe Khedira and Kroos were worse but either way he played like poo poo and looked like poo poo coming into the tournament and never should have been in the final squad.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
To be fair to Ozil, refusing to meet with Erdogan could've had consequences for family members back in Turkey (see Enes Kanter)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Agreed, getting a photograph with this Autocratic rear end in a top hat is different than taking one with this, other Autocratic rear end in a top hat.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I mean, it is a completely different thing for a DFB functionary (essentially) to meet with the leader of the host country of the world cup during the world cup. If the world cup was in turkey and they'd had some shots taken with erdogan it wouldn't be a big deal at all (except to the racists, who are just mad about them in general).

Its almost like context and circumstance make a huge difference, who knew.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Sereri posted:

:hmmyes:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Also apparently Emre Can got an invite to the same photo-op and smartly went "uhh definitely no thank you" and it wasn't an issue at all politically. this isn't like the Enis Kanter situation at all, because Kanter's family started having issues after he publicly came out in support of the Erdogan's opposition not because he declined an invite or whatever.

Anyway either way the whole situation sucks rear end and its super unfair to blame Özil and Gundogan for much of anything when the fault clearly lies with the coaching staff, and hopefully they stick to poo poo like the confed cup team for upcoming games and tournaments.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 23, 2018

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
gently caress ozil

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

German football is in terminal decline, time to put it out of its misery

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ozil is completely correct

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Merkel is a dictator too. Marinate on that yall. Ozil sucks though for sure.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

ozil is completely correct

yeah he should retire from football altogether

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Merkel is a dictator too. Marinate on that yall. Ozil sucks though for sure.

She is

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

hopterque posted:

I mean, it is a completely different thing for a DFB functionary (essentially) to meet with the leader of the host country of the world cup during the world cup. If the world cup was in turkey and they'd had some shots taken with erdogan it wouldn't be a big deal at all (except to the racists, who are just mad about them in general).

Its almost like context and circumstance make a huge difference, who knew.

I don't get how people fail to realise such basic stuff. It's such an obvious whataboutism, it makes me angry that some people take it line, hooker and sinker. Adjusting for context and circumstance when comparing two pictures (or any comparison in general) is something you absolutely should learn at school. It's such a basic tool in resisting lovely narratives and preventing you from turning into a Fake News Opfer.

Also, totally agree on your second post, too. Emre Can was the least stupid person involved in this cluster gently caress and I get the impression Grindel is an abgehalfterter Alt-CDUler who got his position on other merits than his qualifications.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Einbauschrank posted:

I get the impression Grindel is an abgehalfterter Alt-CDUler who got his position on other merits than his qualifications.

:monocle:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Oh hey 2. Bundesliga is starting, let's look how Hamburg is doi... :chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque