Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
"Let the camera track me/From the footlights to the wings/Let me set aside an hour or two/In memory of sweet things/Regrind the lens again and again and again and again/But still the picture flips/Anyone here mentions "Hotel California" dies before/The first line clears his lips"--Liza Forever Minnelli, The Mountain Goats.

Where are we?

Welcome to Milton, a small town in Michigan on the upper peninsula. Milton is an epicenter of weird poo poo perfectly normal town full of magick hobos, secret cults and hauntings where nothing out of the ordinary ever happens.

The town has multiple hauntings. There's crybaby river, were a women supposedly drowned her children before drowning herself; they say if you go there at night you can hear the sound of children crying. There's the forest just north of town, they but up a fence because the people that would wander in...would come back out again. Although some say people do come out of the forest, there just not the same ones that went in, and the fence was to keep them out. Not to mention the mine. It closed down about a hundred years ago, the official story was a mine cave in. But any true Miltonian knows the real story, the miners cause they cave in themselves and sent up a note saying not to try and rescue them. There was something down there with them and they were trying to keep it from getting out.

The town has multiple competing secret cults and societies; such as The Children of The Blood God, The Sacred Moose Lodge and the most feared of all, The Women's Literary Society. It's getting to the point where the local police can't tell if the latest ritual killing is one of the aforementioned groups or one of the town's disproportionate population of serial killers.

There's the old factory just on the edge of town. It seems to be occupied by a different company ever few years. Right now it's a plastics factory. Although no matter who is currently occupying the building, black sedans can be seen coming and going all hours of the day and the security guards always seem to be packing a little to much heat to be guarding whatever mundane domestic product they're supposedly selling.

And that's not even to mention all the magick freaks that seem to flock to the town. Something seems to draw them here from all over. They all congregate at the crystal shop owned by the crazy frog lady.

What is this?

An Unknown Armies (3e) campaign. To be played over Discord or Hangouts at whatever time is most convent for everybody. I'm looking for about 6 players, at least 3 no more than 7.

You the players will decide what the goal will be the town is just a setting to base that goal in. You don't have to touch any of the plot threads I've mentioned above there just to give you an idea of the tone. We'll do chargen before we settle on a goal.

Being UA this will end up closer to Twin Peaks than anything Stephan King.

Who are we?

The only uniting thread of your characters is that you're somebody who used to live in Milton but left several years ago, you just moved back recently. So for you character post an image to represent them, a short description and answer the following questions in or out of character:

Why did you leave Milton?
What was the weirdest thing you saw while you lived here?
What, if any, of the many rumors and urban legends about the town do you actually believe?
Why did you come back?

They say something bad happens in this town every 30 years or so. Something real bad. The last indecent was in the late 80's, everybody's pretty hush hush about the details, but they say one of those cults tried to get inside the mine and didn't live to regret it. Anyway there's been relatively low activity since then. But since you've come back there's been an upswing in weird bullshit. The old townies say we're over due...for something.

"No big changes in the roadways/Since you've left that I'm aware of/A few old buildings gone to dust/And some new ones in the way/They'll look just like the old ones/When the winds have had their say/See the children bound for London/You'll all be back too/Everybody tests the membrane/But no-one pushes through"--Andrew Eldritch Is Moving Back to Leeds, The Mountain Goats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Depending on the day, I'll express Interest

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What level of occult knowledge of the PCS are you aiming for?

Also, would eurohours (gmt+1) be feasible for what you're doing?

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.

Lichtenstein posted:

What level of occult knowledge of the PCS are you aiming for?

Also, would eurohours (gmt+1) be feasible for what you're doing?

The PCS will mostly be checkers with a couple of token ponies thrown in.

As for the time it will probably be afternoon or evening for standard time which will be pretty late for you. Id wait until we agree on a meeting time though

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Rob Evans, CPA

Rob is a pleasantly bland looking fellow in his late 30s, typically attired in business casual. He's thinning very slightly on top, and has a winning, if slightly over-eager smile.

quote:

College. There isn't a lot of call for degrees in Milton, much less a place to get them. And Rob had...has, really... ambitions bigger than this place. The accounting degree from Georgetown University was the first step. From there, the world!

quote:

There were the usual things. Dice and cards coming out in ways that defied probability when gambling with his friends down at the roadhouse. Rusty red discharges from the pipes at school and home, almost like blood but not quite. Overly curious deer wandering up to the backyard fence. But the thing that Rob was happiest to get away from when he moved was the old-fashioned salesman in suit and straw boat hat who'd turn up once a month or so, just on the horizon as Rob walked home from school, right about at the new moon. The man never came any closer, just watched the whole time, from a distance, far enough back and hat tucked low enough that Rob could never quite make out his eyes. But he could just tell the man was watching him. And he was very sure he didn't want to know why.

quote:

What, if any, of the many rumors and urban legends about the town do you actually believe?

Rob's friend Alex turned up water-logged and dead by the banks of the Crying River when the two of them were twelve. He's pretty sure the Lady of the River got him, though the adults figured he just fell in and drowned in the flood of the spring melt. Beyond that, well...as a child he believed pretty much all of it. As an adult...he's seen enough not to rule any of it out for certain.

quote:

Why did you come back?

Rob worked his way into increasingly criminal circumstances after college. The last several years, he's worked very knowingly with a crime syndicate in the greater New York area, doing the books and handling some other fixing duties. Unfortunately, things went south (we can figure out exactly how later) and he's come back to Milton to lie low, figuring a) it's obscure, and b) there's enough occult weirdness to possibly screen less mundane tracking. Ostensibly he's home to visit family and help with his sister's wedding, though.

I'd like Rob to be an adept or avatar but I'm not sure exactly what of. Adeptwise, Cryptomancy or Plutomancy seem like the strongest candidates. Avatar...dunno. I could see something like Opportunist, Unsung Champion or Two-Faced Man. (The latter if he's secretly an undercover FBI agent or something.)

I'd be available most evenings CST from about 6 on to 12. Could do earlier on weekends. But we'll see who else turns out.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 7, 2018

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Dr. Doctor Feelgood the 4th

Doctor Feelgood is a 44 year old doctor who recently returned to Milton to open a family clinic. He wears flip-flops and a medical coat that looks suspiciously like a bathrobe. He tries to keep everything as chill as possible and is happy to get you whatever you need to make your life a little easier. He used to have a practice visiting the homes of celebrities and introducing them to new and wonderful drug combinations and elective surgeries before some malpractice cases caught up with him. Now, he's laying low and hoping that bullshit blows over.

In his free time (and also his work time) he enjoys a wide array of prescription and recreational drugs. To this purpose he has an impressive collection of administrating devices and "joy enhancers". He enjoys rollerblading, if you know what he means (you don't). His favorite TV show is Rick and Morty. He has a large number of nebulous relatives in Milton but he can never keep track of them.

Medical school! I come from a long line of Doctor Feelgoods, going back to my great grandfather who changed his name so he could make a killing on cure-alls. I'm the first actual doctor though. I'm a real, legit, actual, true, no-lie, doctor! I have a medical license and everything! It's in my bag! I'll loving show it to you!!! I can write prescriptions too, what do you need? I'm here to make you feel good.

Growing up I had a best friend, Dennis Johnson. We hung out together all the time, played pong, went to school. Then one day, I was about 12, his whole family up and disappeared. And not, like, they moved. No one remembered them. My mom insisted Dennis was just an imaginary friend. Who has one of those at 12? He wasn't loving imaginary, he was thin and he hated whip cream and he had opinions about star wars! I didn't make him up, he was my friend! Well, I don't know, if I did make him up that's pretty weird too. But I'm mostly sure I didn't.

The Feelgoods have been in Milton a long time. Let me tell you: It's all true. All of it. Except for the bullshit. I think I most believe the poo poo about our water. I tell you, the poo poo has tranquilizers in it to keep everybody calm while the world burns. I know because I've run tests on the tap water and it is full of the same poo poo my great grand-pappy sold door to door. So, yeah, totally true. It's why so many of the crazier folks rant about bodily fluids and drink bottled poo poo or rainwater or whatever. Me? I only drink from the tap. Why wouldn't I?

Don't listen to that horseshit about the blackberries. They're fine. But then again, what even is, like, truth?

Why did you come back?

I spent a few decades in the big city, being a bigshot doctor to the stars! But then there were some rumors about over-prescription and malpractice, and being high on the job and some talk about suspended licenses and court cases and insurance claims and I figured, who needs the stress? I'll move back to my home town, where everyone knows the Feelgoods and no one bothers to check up on whether a medical license has, or has not, been suspended pending investigation.

Times

I'm good any day but Sunday for the summer. I'd actually prefer an afternoon (PST) weekday game but that's a weird time preference and I'm pretty open. If this continues into the Fall my schedule will change radically.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 7, 2018

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm interested, let me see if I can put a character together!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ditto. I'll put something together later, but I'm thinking something like "jailbird preacher returning home to make amends".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hope you guys post updates in the thread because I'm interested in observing, if not participating depending on when you plan to play.

I've got some ideas buzzing around in my head, I might want to get in on this.

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
Just wanted to pop in and say great characters so far! Keep it up!.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm thinking something like "jailbird preacher returning home to make amends".

So Jesse Custer then? I'm game.

Kellsterik posted:

Not telling you what to play but we are missing "Alcoholic author who is suffering from writer's block and who's marriage is on the rocks" so he comes back to his home down because reasons. (Copyright Stephen King).

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Dr. Doctor Feelgood the 4th

If you go the magick routine the good doctor seems like a Narco-Alchemist or a hosed up Avatar of the Healer.

malkav11 posted:

But the thing that Rob was happiest to get away from when he moved was the old-fashioned salesman in suit and straw boat hat who'd turn up once a month or so, just on the horizon as Rob walked home from school, right about at the new moon. The man never came any closer, just watched the whole time, from a distance, far enough back and hat tucked low enough that Rob could never quite make out his eyes. But he could just tell the man was watching him. And he was very sure he didn't want to know why.

Oh that's just Kolchak. Don't worry about it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Kolchak was basically a street-level campaign.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm considering this. My initial concept was a kid from the wrong side of the tracks whose mother got murdered by one of the Milton Usual Suspects and who is back in town to help out her terminally ill grandmother; the first draft of this character was a Fulminaturge with a gun-as-talisman-of-self-defense sort of schtick, but I'm not sure Fulminaturgy is thrilling me as a school, so I'm not sure that'll stick. I suppose I could always write up some basic fluff and figure out an occult angle on it later.

In terms of scheduling, I'm open during evenings in Central US time, probably from about 6 to about 11 PM or so on weekdays and later on weekends.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gonna be adding to this post. Just working out the details.

The "Reverend" J.J. Heat

There were a hundred reasons you left. Pick one: things were becoming too serious, the fight in the mill with your best friend, the fact that she - you know what? gently caress it. You had your reasons. And when you heard about the fire, well, that's just another reason to never look back.

You mean besides the unsolved fire that killed most everyone you ever knew?

We get it, you were a kid once, you used to believe in all of this. But then you started growing and realized it was all a load of crap. The seagull guy didn't have an oral history of the world, he was just homeless and a bit odd. And then puberty hit and *whistle* there was just a lot more going on.

Why did you come back?

Ok, so riding off into the sunset with a stolen irishman's chopper doesn't lead to a happy ending. You probably shouldn't have tried selling the chopper to a biker gang in Detroit for money either, or you wouldn't have gotten your poo poo kicked in. And yeah, so maybe being in Detroit with no money wouldn't have led to a life of crime, but....wait, where was I going with this? Right, why did you come back?

Funny how things turned out. You went to prison, found God, and were set on taking the cloth. But Milton, man...no matter how far you run, your memories of the past stay with you. Your friends stay with you. In order to start over, you had to come back. Had to make amends and let go.

And here we are.

6:00 am, 30 miles off the I-96

J.J. stepped out of the truck and waved. He watches it leave until it vanishes from the horizon. Anything he can do to look at the sign next to you. Welcome To Milton. A relic of the 50s. Smiling mom and dad beckoning you in.

He lights up a cigarette. Felt guilty buying a pack, but he needed to calm his nerves. Hopefully the Lord will forgive in.

"No point in waiting", says J.J., to no one in particular. Fingering his rosary, he works his way down the road into town.

Identities:

Rebellious:
I'm rebellious, of course I can: Throw a punch, hold my liquor, stand my ground.
Substitutes for: Struggle
Features: Provides Wound Threshold
Feature: Substitutes for Pursuit.

Preacher:
I'm a Preacher, of course I can: quote scripture, comfort someone.
Substitutes for: Connect
Feature: Therapeutic
Feature: Resists Shocks to Self.

Goonie:

Wait, what? No! You loving hate The Goonies. It's just it was '85 and Milton had its own secrets to hide. So....poo poo, guess you are a Goonie. But this is Milton, and secrets here aren't just hidden gold and truffles that shuffle.

Of course, that was decades ago, before prison. But stepping foot back in Milton, did you ever even leave?

I'm a Goonie, of course I can: believe this stupid bullshit (for given values of stupid, bullshit, and this), know all the shortcuts around town (even the one that takes longer to walk but you get there quicker somehow)
Substitues for: Secrecy
Feature: ?
Feature: Use Gutter Magick (Note: This feature strongly draws upon J.J.'s childhood memories and thus mostly only works in the immediate area of Milton)

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 19, 2018

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is there a discord set up for this yet?

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is there a discord set up for this yet?

Just put it up: https://discord.gg/NbweyTB

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Carlton "Putz" Putnam
"Putz, it's Italian for partner."

Carlton is a loser. He's not just a loser, he's a Loser with a capital 'L.' It's like he embodies the Jungian archetype of Loser. Wait, Loser isn't an archetype? drat, that sucks, guess he's just a loser. Tough break.

Growing up, Carlton wasn't the fastest, strongest or brightest, but he found his niche as the class clown.
Things were going great until [this part I'm happy to change to meet the needs of the story]: Another kid got put in the same class who was just straight up smarter and funnier. There wasn't room for two class clowns, and Carl's increasingly desperate attempts to win laughs didn't do him any favors. What do you call a guy who's always loving up but never makes anyone laugh? Carlton.

Carl is just one lucky break away from having his dreams come true. Since graduating high school his life has followed a pattern of opportunity knocking and Carl enthusiastically leaping through. Carl's spent time selling knives door to door, he's been the apprentice to a real estate investor, and when he learned about an unbeatable Roulette strategy he was off to Vegas without a second thought.

Carl spent plenty of time in the town jail, usually just overnight in the lockup until morning. Over the years, he's gotten to know the people working at the station, and the people who seemed to be regular guests in the drunk tank. Was it really the same three guys every time? It's a small town, why can't Carl remember seeing those three guys anywhere except for in Jail?

There's definitely treasure of some kind buried out in the woods. That's why Carl shelled out for that used metal detector at the pawn shop!
The old lady who lives down at the end of the street Carl grew up on is secretly rich and has no heirs. Carl's been doing nice things for her since he was a kid, and now that he's back, is still finding time to rake the leaves or paint a fence.
There's something supernatural going on with woods porn. Carl's not sure if it's goblins stealing it and stashing it in the woods, or if it's something like with the tooth fairy, where you can leave old porn out in the woods as an offering and get something in return. Carl loved going out to some of the stashes he found to browse the goods, but wouldn't dare steal it.

Why did you come back?

Carl's not as young and spry as he used to be. He's got a few ideas about how to make money on the internet. He's got a cardboard box full of video cards and just needs somewhere to plug it all in without paying the electricity bill. Just gotta find a friend to crash with until the free cryptobucks come rolling in.

Notes:
I imagine Carl as a failed avatar. He was on the path to be a Fool, hosed it up, and now he's on a path that doesn't exist that leads nowhere. He's too close to the fool to be a distinct archetype, but too far away to actually channel the Fool. There's some cosmic energy going on, but it's like sitting in a puddle adjacent to a public pool. You're sorta wet, you get splashed a bit, but you're definitely not swimming. The only way he's going to end up as a proper avatar is if someone replaces the Fool with the Comedian, leaving some cosmic bandwidth for Losers. All this cosmic stuff is way beyond the scope of this game I'd imagine, but Carl could end up as a pawn in someone else's game.
(nobody calls him Putz)

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
Hey check out the discord if you haven’t already.

Also if you don’t already have a character concept please try and get one in my Monday.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Edit: nvm

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 19, 2018

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Depending on the day, I'll express Interest

Kellsterik posted:

Antivehicular posted:

I'm considering this. My initial concept was a kid from the wrong side of the tracks whose mother got murdered by one of the Milton Usual Suspects and who is back in town to help out her terminally ill grandmother; the first draft of this character was a Fulminaturge with a gun-as-talisman-of-self-defense sort of schtick, but I'm not sure Fulminaturgy is thrilling me as a school, so I'm not sure that'll stick. I suppose I could always write up some basic fluff and figure out an occult angle on it later.

In terms of scheduling, I'm open during evenings in Central US time, probably from about 6 to about 11 PM or so on weekdays and later on weekends.

:justpost:

Last call for character concepts! Get them in by later today please if you’re still interested in playing!

EDIT: Requirement is now closed.

Manofmanusernames fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 19, 2018

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
We've lost a couple of people. Looking for 1-2 more players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm sorry for ghosting you guys. :(

I do a lot of political work and things got really busy really fast.

• Locked thread