Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

Tandy gets her powers of Light and Hope from God (?) but is a complete rear end in a top hat, selfish, lazy, hypocrite, and a 'professional' thief.

I'm just agreeing with her. Was nice to see some self-awareness, actually. Our young heroine is growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Binary Logic posted:

I'm just agreeing with her. Was nice to see some self-awareness, actually. Our young heroine is growing up.

That's horrible human being speak for, "I've had some trauma in my life so you have give me a free pass for all the bad poo poo I do."

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Well this got dark quick...

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Oh ok we're a zombie movie now I guess...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They have a lot to resolve in a half hour

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Man, this wanton murdering's gonna be real awkward if turning this poo poo off makes people revert to normal...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Heh, Black kid in a hoodie is going to save the day huh? Subtle show, very subtle.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

OH HELL YES

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Come sail away? The gently caress?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're not walking back Ty being wanted, huh. That's actually really cool and I didn't expect it at all.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

I honestly think this may be my favorite season 1 of any Marvel show yet, I think I liked it better than Daredevil. And man, I had completely forgotten about the "Oh right, the cops still are looking for Tyrone for cop murder" line until the end there, and there's pretty much no one left who could exonerate him after racist cop got loving devoured by the darkness.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I wonder if they're going to put up the historical cover of Come Sail Away that was playing over the flashbacks of the scenes of the previous divine pairings?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man what a great first season. Loved this show.

Also that was Olivia Holt singing Come Sail Away.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol that the solution to the whole problem was just them holding hands, but regardless I very much enjoyed the season.

GLOSS posted:

Man, this wanton murdering's gonna be real awkward if turning this poo poo off makes people revert to normal...

yeah Tandy kind of just killed like 5 people for no real reason

her powers are impossibly lame but that's a source material problem

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Really enjoyed this episode and the season overall, and it's great that Olivia Holt sang Come Sail Away, but it was an odd song choice when they used it for the big moment. Also, the repeated use of that stock scream sound that I know so well from torturing human heroes in Dungeon Keeper cracked me up. HWAAAAAAAH!

Looking forward to Mayhem next season, and the reversal of their living situations is interesting. I wonder if Connors will ever get out of the Darkforce Dimension, since Cloak usually lets them out after a while in the comics? Could be awkward if he just pops out a gibbering mess and/or withered husk.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, that was a thing that happened. They stopped the catastrophe and avoided having one of them dying by... doing a magic? Somehow? And I got that Tandy beat her bad guy by stealing his hope, but the thing Tyrone did to his was just some new power he has now I guess?

Soothing Vapors posted:

her powers are impossibly lame but that's a source material problem
Her powers are fine as long as she's only fighting people she's OK killing and otherwise only uses the daggers for cutting through otherwise uncuttable things. Seeing people's hopes is pretty flexible if she's the writers are clever about using it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have to say I quite liked this season. I hope it continues to be as good as it was this season because if it keeps up this momentum it'll be one of my favorite shows.

Definitely on my top 10 of 2018, by a rather large margin.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I liked most of this episode but Come Sail Away was awful and blasting it over the climax made me actually laugh at how bad it was(the song choice, I enjoyed the cover).

Otherwise I liked the role reversal of Tyrone living in the church and Tandy getting to go home. The bad guys didn't feel particularly threatening from a physicality standpoint but thematically they worked really well.

One of the pair dying was a bit forced in and I think the whole divine pairing thing could have been sprinkled throughout the season a lot better. For example if they'd told the story of one of the two dying each episode but not really slapped the viewer in the face with it until the 9th episode it would have worked better.

I wonder a bit about the schedule that scenes were shot in because, maybe it was the unevenness of the writing, but it felt like sometimes the actors didn't seem very comfortable with each other and sometimes they gelled really well.

Overall I really liked the show. I wish it was a bit more mature in certain ways and the soundtrack was way too much at certain points but I feel like they did a really strong job building up the main characters and handled their arcs really well.

Maybe not my favorite Marvel tv show but much better than Runaways and that's impressive seeing as I've been reading Marvel comics for 30 years and the only time I ever remember Cloak and Dagger being a part of something that generated any kind of hype was Maximum Carnage.

Also since this show loves its loud music, doesn't seem to have a problem doing cool light effects, and Disney will have the X-Men franchise:

I want Dazzler to show up.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 3, 2018

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Show is awesome - some shoddy editing aside - but whatthe gently caress is with them blasting pop songs all over their big scenes?

Are they somehow afraid of letting the scenes stand on their own? Because to me all the pop-rock managed to accomplish for the was torpedo the big finale straight into comedy-level cringe.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Tiggum posted:

Well, that was a thing that happened. They stopped the catastrophe and avoided having one of them dying by... doing a magic? Somehow? And I got that Tandy beat her bad guy by stealing his hope, but the thing Tyrone did to his was just some new power he has now I guess?

Her powers are fine as long as she's only fighting people she's OK killing and otherwise only uses the daggers for cutting through otherwise uncuttable things. Seeing people's hopes is pretty flexible if she's the writers are clever about using it.

"has a knife sometimes" is pretty trash-tier as far as powersets go, but I guess that's basically Wolverine too so whatever. the hopes and fears stuff C&D do is super cool and i hope the show focuses more on that poo poo

PaybackJack posted:

I liked most of this episode but Come Sail Away was awful and blasting it over the climax made me actually laugh at how bad it was(the song choice, I enjoyed the cover).
yeah taht was a strange choice

PaybackJack posted:

One of the pair dying was a bit forced in and I think the whole divine pairing thing could have been sprinkled throughout the season a lot better. For example if they'd told the story of one of the two dying each episode but not really slapped the viewer in the face with it until the 9th episode it would have worked better.

yeah, Exposition Auntie could have sprinkled that a little more liberally through the season

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Soothing Vapors posted:

yeah, Exposition Auntie could have sprinkled that a little more liberally through the season

I'm fairly sure she did. At least I think she alluded to that, since I wasn't surprised at all when I heard that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It was certainly a part of the show's promotional push, but yeah, they should've seeded the stories of the former divine pairings throughout the entire season to heighten the "one of them will die" tension.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Svensken posted:

Show is awesome - some shoddy editing aside - but whatthe gently caress is with them blasting pop songs all over their big scenes?

Are they somehow afraid of letting the scenes stand on their own? Because to me all the pop-rock managed to accomplish for the was torpedo the big finale straight into comedy-level cringe.

It’s a show for teens on Freeform. It’s a well written show for teens, but that’s still what it is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This was definitely my favorite show of the year so far and one of my favorite comic book shows of all. So of course I'm gonna complain, at length, in detail, about the one thing I didn't like.

Which is that the whole Connors situation turned really dumb and implausible at this point. Yes, yes, police corruption and abuse and whatnot. But at this point this guy Connors had literal minions roaming the streets looking for the kid who...I guess, either they all think that this kid singlehandledly killed Pancake Cop and stuffed him into his girlfriend's fridge for no reason, or they're all willfully committed to executing a child in order to cover for that one coworker of theirs in Vice that was caught on video confessing to murder, or they all just don't care and will follow any orders whatever without thinking about it too hard. To the point that every single cop in the office that day are just going to politely look the other way when this kid and another cop -- who is white, and a woman -- are literally marched through the middle of the precinct in the middle of the workday to be summarily executed without preamble, I guess?

Like, this turned mindbogglingly-fast from "insightful and moving exploration of real-life topical issues" into "Hold my beer Gotham City, let me show you how it's really done."

And then, after the whole narrative arc about not killing Connors and finding a better way and seeking justice the right way and all that jazz, we end up "solving" the situation by...conjuring the powers of Darkness and trapping him in the abyssal void for all eternity. Yay?....?..

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

This was definitely my favorite show of the year so far and one of my favorite comic book shows of all. So of course I'm gonna complain, at length, in detail, about the one thing I didn't like.

Which is that the whole Connors situation turned really dumb and implausible at this point. Yes, yes, police corruption and abuse and whatnot. But at this point this guy Connors had literal minions roaming the streets looking for the kid who...I guess, either they all think that this kid singlehandledly killed Pancake Cop and stuffed him into his girlfriend's fridge for no reason, or they're all willfully committed to executing a child in order to cover for that one coworker of theirs in Vice that was caught on video confessing to murder, or they all just don't care and will follow any orders whatever without thinking about it too hard. To the point that every single cop in the office that day are just going to politely look the other way when this kid and another cop -- who is white, and a woman -- are literally marched through the middle of the precinct in the middle of the workday to be summarily executed without preamble, I guess?

Like, this turned mindbogglingly-fast from "insightful and moving exploration of real-life topical issues" into "Hold my beer Gotham City, let me show you how it's really done."

And then, after the whole narrative arc about not killing Connors and finding a better way and seeking justice the right way and all that jazz, we end up "solving" the situation by...conjuring the powers of Darkness and trapping him in the abyssal void for all eternity. Yay?....?..

I'm a big fan of them not going heavy into the race thing with Ty. It really helped his character just be a young man with grief problems. Well off family, private school, didn't show him having a time at school for any reason really.

It's like they reversed the roles between him and Tandy in what a normal show would do.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rocksicles posted:

I'm a big fan of them not going heavy into the race thing with Ty. It really helped his character just be a young man with grief problems. Well off family, private school, didn't show him having a time at school for any reason really.

It's like they reversed the roles between him and Tandy in what a normal show would do.

Were you just not paying attention?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomBlue posted:

Were you just not paying attention?

Yeah it was part of it obviosuly, he's African American. What i mean is they didn't stereotype him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah it was part of it obviosuly, he's African American. What i mean is they didn't stereotype him.

They still went pretty heavy into race. A point the show makes repeatedly is that despite the inversion of financial status, Tyrone’s situation is much more precarious than Tandy’s due to race. What he has can be more easily taken away. Conversely it is so easy for Tandy to take from others precisely because she is a pretty white girl and thus above suspicion.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol that the solution to the whole problem was just them holding hands

Worked for Quill. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Had fallen off the series halfway through, so tonight I just binged the back half of the season. Episode 6 felt like the slowest of the whole series, but really came back hard with the 7th episode time loop. Barnstorming finish with... a motherfucking zombie outbreak? Yeah this show has its patchy moments, but overall it's pretty loving good and I'm surprised that I cared about these C-list Marvel heroes as much as I did. And the soundtrack was absolutely the star of the show. Whoever was picking those tunes was the true MVP.

It's not quite up there with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, or The Punisher, all of which had a fabulous first season. Or Luke Cage's second season which was legit AF. But it's ever so narrowly behind those, I'm glad it exists, and I look forward to seeing more in the future.

• Locked thread