Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

We're back once more to celebrate the best annual event in combat sports. Last year we had a controversial semifinal match that saw Azzuri get disqualified from a game that they were leading for assaulting an official, letting Bianchi advance to the finals. Rossi demolished Verdi in the other semifinal. The finals was one for the ages, with Bianchi scoring a goal in the final minute to defeat Rossi by a mere half-point. Will this year's finals be as exciting, or another one-sided romp like 2016's finals? I don't know but what I do know is that I can't wait to watch these roided up Italian men punch each other in a sandy piazza.

[OP cribbed aggressively from Seltzer's threads previous years]

What is Calcio Storico?

Basically this

More Precisely
Calcio fiorentino (also known as calcio storico "historic football") is an early form of football that originated in 16th century Italy. Once widely played, the sport is thought to have originated in the Piazza Santa Croce in Florence. Interest in Calcio waned in the early 17th century. However in 1930 it was reorganized as a game in Kingdom of Italy. Today, three matches are played each year in Piazza Santa Croce in Florence in June. A team from each quartiere of the city is represented:

Santa Croce / Azzurri (Blues) MIXED TEAM
Azzuri's team this year is not playing. I don't understand Italian well enough, but it's either due to the disqualification from last year's event, or in protest of it. Instead, their slot goes to a team composed of players for the Green and White areas. I'm not sure if the mixed team can proceed to the finals, or if the red team just gets a bye regardless of if they win or lose.

Santa Maria Novella / Rossi (Reds)
Roided up cheaters. They are slightly better at scoring than the azzurri but they prefer to toss people out of the arena and waste the clock. They gas 1/3rd the way through every match

Santo Spirito / Bianchi (Whites)
A dynasty riding high. A complete team with some of the best offensive players in the game. Top down leadership and success in their veins.

San Giovanni / Verdi (Greens)
An all around solid team with offensive flair and long range sharpshooters. They are not afraid to get physical. They are a team with illustrious history and a deep respect for the Calcio tradition.

After playing each other in two opening games, the two winners go onto the final which occurs each year on June 24th.

Rules

The modern version of calcio allows tactics such as head-butting, punching, elbowing, and choking but sucker punches and kicks to the head are banned. The game is played on a field of sand with a narrow slit constituting the goal, running the width of each end. Each teams comprises 27 players who are allowed to use both feet and hands to pass and control the ball. Goals (or cacce) are scored by throwing the ball over into the netting at the end of the field. There is a main referee, six linesmen and a field master. Each match is played out for 50 minutes with the winner being the team with the most goals scored.

What essentially happens is the two teams line up and beat on each other. The team with the ball tries to preoccupy the other team by beating them down or taking them down to the point where a gap is created and the ball runner can go on a run towards goal. The goal is narrow and missing a shot on goal gives the opponents 0.5 points. Scoring a goal nets the shooting team 1 pt. Because of the penalty for missing, players try to get fairly close before shooting. When it comes to tackling a ball carrier anything goes including kicking his legs out from under him.

That's basically the rules but in actuality what happens is a big clusterfuck wherein a bunch of referees and assistants dressed like renaissance clowns run around calling things as they see fit.

(Respect this man's authority)

Players will break rules if they feel like they can get away with it and justice is arbitrarily dished out. However, players can and frequently do, get ejected for breaking the rules. This usually occurs after the most ferocious of hand gesturing. There seems to be a gentleman's agreement not to kick eachother's asses too bad, but I honestly have no real idea and people do get their rear end kicked.

The winners get a year of bragging rights and a white cow.

When to watch
Semi-final Rossi vs Mixed Team - 6/09 12:30 pm edt
Semi-final Bianchi vs Verdi - 6/10 12:30 pm edt
Final TBA 6/24 12:30 pm edt

Where to watch
The local Florentine channel that airs the games has a convenient HD web broadcast.
http://www.rtv38.com/livetest.html Be wary of when you click on this because they air ads for strip clubs at night

Why you should watch

Italian amateur striking

Italian amateur grappling

More importantly- It's legitimately crazy, bizarre and entertaining.

Check this poo poo out of you want
2017 semi rossi/verdi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXSQA6o_Vb0

2017 semi bianchi/azzurri (game only goes about 15 minutes before the DQ)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXKyVriMTyo

2017 finals bianchi/rossi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQ9KXh4NXw

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

placeholder

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How has it been a year.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I wonder if the mixed team is going to be comprised of Bonfiglio's b teamers, or if my preferred situation occurs where regular roster guys from white and green band together to save the tournament one day and then beat the poo poo out of each other the next

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Was Blue the team that rioted last year

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I wonder if the mixed team is going to be comprised of Bonfiglio's b teamers, or if my preferred situation occurs where regular roster guys from white and green band together to save the tournament one day and then beat the poo poo out of each other the next

Are there even b-teamers?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren::derp::siren::woop::siren::woop::siren::derp::siren:

:hellyeah:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

MassRafTer posted:

How has it been a year.

I missed this last year and was crestfallen having had read the OP a couple weeks later. I STILL haven't watched a "match?" "Game?" "Tryst?" proper contest of this. Count me in!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Eat This Glob posted:

I missed this last year and was crestfallen having had read the OP a couple weeks later. I STILL haven't watched a "match?" "Game?" "Tryst?" proper contest of this. Count me in!

skirmish

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It's the most wonderful time of the year

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
wow dogg guess you pissed off a packer huh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was so keen to watch this last year and ended up having to miss it, hoping I can see it this time around.

Team Green gonna get that cow this year :hellyeah:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah, that'd be the word. Dang.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Where to watch
The local Florentine channel that airs the games has a convenient HD web broadcast.
http://www.rtv38.com/livetest.html Be wary of when you click on this because they air ads for strip clubs at night

Has anyone tried this link and gotten it to connect? I wanted to see some strip club ads but when I click it just pretends like it loads but doesn't actually do anything.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
You mind just closing this thread and posting in here? I updated my OP and I'm adding in other info.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859506

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 8, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This thread should be for the Blues.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Please don't start a Nika Riot in this forum.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea let's just pick teams and loving fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm gonna close this thread even though it was first, since Seltzer's has more up to date info and they have a history of running these threads.

• Locked thread