Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm psyched for Midsommar but knowing Icelandic theater's it's not going to be screened here until like next February.

Pomp posted:

A Cult Did It

Yeah itīs quite literally magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was on a date and they insisted we watch this cause it was one of their favorite movies. It's one of mine now too despite going in expecting something dull and by the numbers.

This movie went far and beyond.
The use of patterns in lights and symbols is my favorite bits. I especially liked when Peter is walking through the halls and the hallway lights up in the direction of his classroom. Then when Toni Collette watches Gabriel Byrne get immolated it shows her psyche completely crumbling and Paimon taking the driver seat as the light flows and converges on her. :devil:

The movie made me want to do another play through of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, which used similar representations of schizophrenia.

And of course the floating headless corpse is silly, it's astoundingly and purposefully silly - it's down right absurd! And played perfectly straight while the movie just keeps rolling with it that it becomes amazing.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 30, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Double post:
One of the many things in this movie that hit close to home was Peter self medicating and spiraling further into grief, paranoia and delusions.

One of my brothers had a psychotic break from self medicating to cope with his illness and Peter's descent was super effective.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The floating headless corpse's absurdity is what made it downright terrifying for me.

Nightmares are often pretty absurd. It's the sheer feeling of 'hang on, is this actually, really happening?' that heightens something generically 'scary' (what's more of a horror cliché than a headless corpse?) into something genuinely unnerving. I can see why people found it funny though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I finally watched this movie streaming last night on a 2nd date. I don't think I would have made it through by myself :classiclol:

loving amazing film. I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. I love that near the very end Steve is like "wait no you moved the body up there didn't you!" and I was agreeing with him, despite still knowing more than him about what was going on. I can't get the movie out of my head.

Oh there was one little thing that got a huge laugh out of me that I am sure is completely coincidental...but since I recognized the area as Utah...

When peter nopes the gently caress out of the treehouse you see his perspective as he runs through the window. This is actually exactly how Joseph Smith, the founder and prophet of Mormonism, died. He was surrounded in a jail house and jumped out of the top window and died. Mormons have a film about Joseph Smith you can watch at the main Temple in SLC, and in that movie it includes the same loving scene, where the camera goes out the window. No naked dudes in that version though

I'm sure there's absolutely no way this is at all related but lmao at this being some crazy retelling of the Joseph Smith story.

veni veni veni posted:

The pole scene is a weird part to call out to me, since the fallout from it is some absolutely surreal, hosed up drama. Probably the best part of the entire movie, to me at least. That scene could have been it's own movie. it definitely gets progressively more ridiculous after that, but I was 100% on board for all of it.

I said the same thing after that scene! That's the entire premise of another movie!, but this poo poo is so nuts its just part of the journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

that's interesting! i figured it was utah but never thought to make that connection.

when first watching, i felt the window jumping scene was somewhat reminiscent of the one from a clockwork orange. admittedly it's been a few years since I've seen that one tho