Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hello ADTRW, I felt it important to let you know that Humble Bundle has an insanely good Manga bundle available right now. Like it's nuts how good it is.

Drop 18 bucks on it, no question. The entire Battle Angel Alita series volumes 1-9 for 18 dollars would be worth it alone, but you also get Inuyashiki, Ajin, Seven Deadly Sins, BAA: Last Order, BAA: Mars Chronicles, Ghost in the Shell, and GITS: Stand Alone Complex.

Seriously, this is absolutely one of their must-buy bundles. BAA's hardcopies fluctuate in and out of print and can be extremely expensive to acquire at times, and it's an influential sci-fi series. I have recommended Battle Angel Alita in all its forms previously, and it is definitely one of my favorite series of all time. Last Order cranks up the silliness and shenanigans a bit, but also has some extremely loving rad interpretations of transhumanism, and a drat good flashback to the end of mankind, when asteroids that humanity hadn't caught rain down and create a global extinction event endless winter, and only fragments of life continue on.

Here's my recommendation for it:

Captain Invictus posted:

Battle Angel Alita, Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, and Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicles - A series that has been running for nearly three decades, with some of my favorite and most creative artwork of any series. The author, Yukito Kishiro, is incredibly good at designing unique cyberpunk designs with insane levels of detail, and the fights are intense and extremely well-choreographed. The characters of Alita, Dr. Ido, and the pretty incredible and infamous Desty Nova, go through some serious poo poo throughout the series. Set centuries past our current time in one of the more dystopian cyberpunk settings around, it goes from earth, to space, eventually to mars over the course of its story, and explores various aspects of humanity's evolution as it does so. This is the series that James Cameron wants to make into a movie after he's done with the second Avatar movie, and apparently his Dark Angel series was something he wanted to make an official Battle Angel show, though I never watched it. The series is gruesome, it's violent as hell and shifts from lighthearted to apocalyptic in the blink of an eye. The story can go from grounded in reality to totally absurd pretty fast, including hypersonic thumb-wrestling, more obscene nanomachine use than Kojima ever dreamed of, among other things. From hard sci-fi to power rangers-esque ridiculousness moment to moment. Have some sample pages:

Ghost in the Shell is an extremely influential piece of cyberpunk media that also has a shitload of cyborg rear end'n'titties. It's been well over a decade since I've read the manga of it so I'll leave it to someone else who's more recently gotten into it to do a writeup for it if they're so inclined, but it absolutely influenced a lot of sci-fi writers, directors such as James Cameron and Steven Spielberg, and was a huge inspiration, and indeed was the initial pitch for, The Matrix. The artwork is outstanding, the cybernetic stylings groundbreaking, and the sexuality flagrant.

I have not read Inuyashiki, Ajin, or Seven Deadly Sins, but I have definitely heard good things about Inuyashiki and SDS, and I'm pretty sure I've heard good things about Ajin as well. This is totally a perfect bundle to grab as a gift for someone, too, I'm definitely going to pick up a few extras for later. And hey, you also support the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund with your donation, too, and they do fantastic work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Also worth noting that they're proper drm free copies, which you can DL in .cbz/.epub/.pdfif you're a lunatic

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I should probably throw out there, while BAA's print copies fluctuate in whether they're available, Kodansha Comics has been putting out some really loving amazing hardcovers of the series lately. I got my girlfriend the first one for Christmas last year and was honestly kind of stunned by how nice the print quality was. And given that the movie's coming out this year, I have a weird feeling they're probably gonna stay in print.

e: holy gently caress I highkey want that wallpaper in the $20 tier.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 8, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Giving this here a bump a few days before the bundle expires

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Giving this here a bump a few days before the bundle expires

Thanks! Just bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One last bump with five hours left, grab it before it's gone!

• Locked thread