Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

That's why I love my internal sun shade thing. I'll ocassionally pick up a bug or something on my face, but having a full face with the visor up and still being able to keep the wind out of my eyes is amazing when it's 100+ with 80% humidity like it has been the last couple of weeks here in Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Elviscat posted:

To myself: "man, it sure is hot, riding with the visor up for a few minutes would sure be awesome!"
*gets eyeballs sandblasted and slams visor shut again*
Five minutes later: "golly, it's a scorcher today it..."

Not mocking, but what about just cracking the visor so it isn't sealed anymore? I may have an advantage with this, since I wear glasses.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Flint Ironstag posted:

Not mocking, but what about just cracking the visor so it isn't sealed anymore? I may have an advantage with this, since I wear glasses.

Glasses wearer here, i only rarely close my RFSR visor all the way. 90% of the time when i 'close' it i keep it one detent away from closed. Just the right mix of fresh air and engine sound vs face protection for fair-weather riding. I do need to slam it shut when it rains, though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Flint Ironstag posted:

My helmet has a feature to allow me to do exactly that by flicking a little lever, but stopped/low speed traffic it's not enough.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Just use a Philips on that JIS. It’ll be fine :smithicide:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kloa posted:

Just use a Philips on that JIS. It’ll be fine :smithicide:

ive dealt with this bullshit in ham radio land for twenty seven years and oh god it drives me nuts. i bought a few JIS drivers a while back because all my old 80s rigs have brass JIS screws that will round out to gently caress and back with two turns of the wrong phillips

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i've just got a huge bag of assorted zinc-plated metric socket-head bolts and I replace JIS screws wherever possible.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Now that I have a shiny new bike, I'll definitely clean it regularly and not let it rust over winter! I only let the last one go because it was already hosed up, and definitely not because I'm habitually lazy...

Azza Bamboo posted:

When someone has just passed their (UK) test.

"I'm going to ride sensibly."
"I'll ride much more safely than everyone else."
"I'll never speed."

And then I bought a 600 :suicide:

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Now that I have a shiny new bike, I'll definitely clean it regularly and not let it rust over winter! I only let the last one go because it was already hosed up, and definitely not because I'm habitually lazy...

And then I bought a 600 :suicide:

I can easily stop if something gets in my way!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

When someone has just passed their (UK) test.

"I'm going to ride sensibly."
"I'll ride much more safely than everyone else."
"I'll never speed."

Said all 3, broke all 3 in under 1000 miles.

Don’t tell the wife.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Horse Clocks posted:

Said all 3, broke all 3 in under 1000 miles.

Don’t tell the wife.

Took you a while.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

drinking and motorcycles never mix!

Rubber_Funk
Apr 13, 2007
"That one bike I'm looking at is the perfect all-around bike and once I have it I will be fulfilled because that one bike will cover all of my needs"

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Rubber_Funk posted:

"That one bike I'm looking at is the perfect all-around bike and once I have it I will be fulfilled because that one bike will cover all of my needs"

"Guilty as charged"
When possible I've always ended up owner two motorcycles, one >700CC and one <600CC, though I did make it almost 2 years with just the 1250 Bandit.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Rubber_Funk posted:

I just got done expaining to my old man why it is absolutly necessary to have 2 seemingly identical motorcycles.

I mean come on, one is a 2 stroke motoctoss bike and the other is a 4 stroke enduro, how the gently caress are those even close to identical?

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
"I'll ride it all winter long, rain or shine!" And I did, almost every day in the dreary, cold, rainy PNW grey. Then we had a few beautiful days this week and I drove to work.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Elviscat posted:

To myself: "man, it sure is hot, riding with the visor up for a few minutes would sure be awesome!"
*gets eyeballs sandblasted and slams visor shut again*
Five minutes later: "golly, it's a scorcher today it..."

wearing glasses helps with that

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Or the good ol' flip-down sunshade

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Dagen H posted:

Arai owners weep.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Dagen H posted:

My new helmet has one of those!

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Dagen H posted:

wouldn't have a helmet without this

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

Arai owners weep.

Arai does these on the outside of the main visor so they can keep their SNELL ratings (and sell more visors to replace the ones the sunshade scratches)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm still flabbergasted that a $500+ helmet has no aerodynamic noise abatement. Just wear foam earplugs like the proles!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If you do it just right you can swap clear / tinted visors on Arai helmets in 5 seconds. Doesn't really bug me to have to switch them out.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Transition visor rules supreme.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It should be illegal to sell a visor that isn’t transitions

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

if you own transitions anything you should be put on the Sex Predator registry

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
IT'S TAPE

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Well... the weather has been sweltering hot in Switzerland. On Monday I decided to forego my armored gear and just ride in business clothes and helmet. It was glorious. Yes, I was in a terrible motorcycle accident 11 years ago. Yes I still have the scars, but holy gently caress it felt good. ATGATT is no longer the life I want. I don’t know how long it will be before I swap my work boots for crocs. Heaven help me.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I moved the bike from the old house to the new house, about 4 blocks, in shorts and short sleeves (helmet and gloves though)and promptly caught a big rock to the knee. I don't think I can roll non agatt ever.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Crayvex posted:

Well... the weather has been sweltering hot in Switzerland. On Monday I decided to forego my armored gear and just ride in business clothes and helmet. It was glorious. Yes, I was in a terrible motorcycle accident 11 years ago. Yes I still have the scars, but holy gently caress it felt good. ATGATT is no longer the life I want. I don’t know how long it will be before I swap my work boots for crocs. Heaven help me.

I rode through Switzerland about this time of year two years ago and if that is "sweltering" then I don't know what to tell you. I wear non mesh adv gear all summer in the deep south when it's brutal and it's not even that bad.

Go full mesh gear if you like airflow.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Coydog posted:

I rode through Switzerland about this time of year two years ago and if that is "sweltering" then I don't know what to tell you. I wear non mesh adv gear all summer in the deep south when it's brutal and it's not even that bad.

Go full mesh gear if you like airflow.

Back in the USA I had full mesh gear. Usually Switzerland is pretty mild but we’ve had some epic heat waves. 38-40 degrees Celsius (Above 104 degrees) I’m off the ATGATT bandwagon. I’m on and off my bike 3-5 times a day. I’m sick of messing around with gear when 90% of the time I’m doing 50 KMPH max around the city.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, you live in Switzerland. I'm sure if you go down they will just give you an Android body for free.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Coydog posted:

Well, you live in Switzerland. I'm sure if you go down they will just give you an Android body for free.

It’s Switzerland, I will probably have to pay for the damage I did to the asphalt. ;-)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's only fair, bodies heal, asphalt doesnt

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Crayvex posted:

Back in the USA I had full mesh gear. Usually Switzerland is pretty mild but we’ve had some epic heat waves. 38-40 degrees Celsius (Above 104 degrees) I’m off the ATGATT bandwagon. I’m on and off my bike 3-5 times a day. I’m sick of messing around with gear when 90% of the time I’m doing 50 KMPH max around the city.

Yeah it was definitely Hot a couple of weeks ago, particularly down near Sion, I saw 39C. I ditched the gear for trundling to the shops and that. It was absolutely glorious (until the fan comes on at traffic lights and blows air at 102C at me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Coydog posted:

As long as the new bike has a charging port for it.